• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Will new maps be in place in NC for 2018? Saw that they have 80% R reps for state that is basically toss up.

As far as I understand the ruling only affected 2 districts, and they were already forced to redraw them. This was the state trying to appeal being forced to do so.

dramatis

mZifvH4.png

Expected that to go 4-4, or 5-3 with Kennedy with Dems.

That is one weird split.
Thomas wrote a 2 page concurring opinion starting at page 44:
As to District 1, I think North Carolina's concession that it created the district as a majority-black district is by itself sufficient to trigger strict scrutiny.
This is...weird.

Edit: I remember from an earlier SCOTUSBlog post last week that Kagan noted the 4-4 business meant they had to be better debaters/persuaders among themselves.
With the eight-member Supreme Court now a thing of the past, Kagan – who is no longer the junior justice and quite happy about that, Ginsburg surmised – took a walk down memory lane at the Seventh Circuit Bar Association Annual Meeting in Indianapolis on May 1. She stated that one result of working on a short-handed bench was that justices had to dig deeper and refine their reasoning, listening and persuasion skills in order to break 4-4 ties and reach consensus. According to The Indiana Lawyer, Kagan believes the Supreme Court did ”pretty darn well" given the circumstances. She sees the court's experience as applicable to politics in general:
I think the courts do model behavior. They teach people about reasoned decision-making and they teach people about collegiality. And when they're working at their best, they also teach people about bridging differences and reaching agreement in places where you might not expect to find it.​
Maybe somehow they got in Thomas's head?

DonShula

Thomas wrote a 2 page concurring opinion starting at page 44:

This is...weird.

Maybe this is like the time Tom Benson's wife started doing crazy financial stuff while assuring everyone Tom was coherent and signing off on the deals when in reality he was basically incapacitated.

Has anyone actually seen Clarence Thomas in person lately?

kess

Turkey doing what every leader will be doing to spite Trump. After licking his balls, just wait until he's in another country to show how shitty our position is.

Ernest

Banned
Wait, are they seriously trying to say that Erdogan's goons were the wronged party here?

Holy shit!

Yeah, and earlier post said, our cops should've shot them in the fucking face for laying hands on American citizens on American soil, and now they want an apology? The fucking balls on these assholes!

Slacker

Wait, are they seriously trying to say that Erdogan's goons were the wronged party here?

Holy shit!

Yeah, and earlier post said, our cops should've shot them in the fucking face for laying hands on American citizens on American soil, and now they want an apology? The fucking balls on these assholes!

Easy to be brave in this situation when you know the American president has your back.

rokkerkory

SCOTUS strikes down North Carolina congressional district maps

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/22/politics/north-carolina-gerrymander/index.html

The Supreme Court struck down two congressional district maps in North Carolina Monday, holding that the state had engaged in an unconstitutional racial gerrymander.

The ruling is a victory for the black North Carolina voters who had argued the plans packed African-Americans in districts that already had a high percentage of African-Americans, thus diluting their presence in other districts.

So dirty these politicians.

Barzul

Imagine if Clarence Thomas turns into a Souter lol.....that'd be the biggest switch up in recent American judicial history. I say this is a one off though. It always did grind my bones that he was that conservative on civil rights issues. I get everything else, but man you know the collective struggle it took to get us to the point where could even have black SC justices. Not gonna hold my breath.

He appparently finds any consideration of race, even to assure meaningful representation for minority groups, to be suspect.

So Thomas is the embodiment of the Morgan Freeman "just stop talking about race" meme, for good AND for ill.

Edit: Partisan gerrymandering is disgusting, but I think it would be very difficult to make a strictly Constitutional/legal argument against it. That would be as close to "Activist judges writing new laws" as it gets.

Hallie Jackson‏Verified account
@HallieJackson

The president stops press pool from leaving room to emphasize he never said word "Israel" (clear reference to Oval Office mtg w/Russians)

Maggie Haberman‏Verified account
@maggieNYT

"They're all saying I did, so you have another story wrong. Never mentioned the word Israel."- POTUS, per pooler @carolelee

DUMMY!!!

Thomas is being consistent here. He thinks all racial gerrymandering, even for the benefit of minorities, is unconstitutional.

Therefore he should be a solid vote in all similar cases in the future. He'll agree with liberals overturning racial gerrymanders so long as there is some evidence that race motivated the lines one way or the other. He'll have completely different reasoning but the outcome should be the same.

Ernest

Banned
Hallie Jackson‏Verified account
@HallieJackson

The president stops press pool from leaving room to emphasize he never said word "Israel" (clear reference to Oval Office mtg w/Russians)

Maggie Haberman‏Verified account
@maggieNYT

"They're all saying I did, so you have another story wrong. Never mentioned the word Israel."- POTUS, per pooler @carolelee

DUMMY!!!
While he's certainly stupid - I think this might be his subconscious trying to confess and/or get out of being president.

Melania done with his shit?
They don't even live in the same state.

I remember reading an article talking about the danger of the media normalizing Trump via puff pieces about his family and it mentioned Melania's shopping trips, dumb shit about Barron etc. But Trump has such a broken family that I think we've been able to avoid that. It's ironic and yet completely expected that Trump, a billionaire who ran on being a friend of the working class, has no interest in acting like anything other than a reclusive, elitist billionaire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom