• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.

kess

holy shit Texas and Mississippi

Mississippi is going to go Democratic before Alabama ever will. That state gets a lot of shit, for the right reasons, but it's not the home of educated, well to do racism like Alabama is.

The Birmingham suburbs are the rock solid core of Trump support.

Also this image.

trump-gallup-approval-map-july-2017-white.png

WV is the only state that is 60% on this map. That is crazy to me.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
That map further convinces me that Ohio is a lost cause.

yeah, the increased and potentially ideologically diverse number of veto points relative to parliamentary systems means that it's more likely to reach a stop requires pork to resume the process. Especially since pork is brought up as a solution to the increasingly partisan divides in the legislature and as a way to increase bipartisan cooperation, the better solution would simply be to get rid of the potential for divided government.

If you have a representative democracy with any sort of population diversity, you are going to have (and need) the potential for divided government.

TEXAS TURNING BLUE NEXT ELECTION

not really.

I wish.

The best path to a Senate majority seems to be AZ (Kelly, I hope) + AZ (Sinema, I hope) + NV (Jacky Godsen). If Beto can bring the race down to a five-point spread, I'd consider his campaign successful.

pigeon

Banned
If you have a representative democracy with any sort of population diversity, you are going to have (and need) the potential for divided government.

He means as opposed to parliamentary systems which cannot have divided government because the head of state is also the head of the legislature.

Obviously those have coalitions, and plenty of horse trading happens in setting those up, but I guess horses aren't pigs.

We might be using the term differently

By divided government, I mean governments formed where different parties control different parts of the government at the same level, so 2010-2016 where the House/Senate/Executive control came from different parties

in constitutions that only have one elected government branch, this is impossible. Unicameral (or functionally unicameral) legislatures cannot be divided because only one part of government can be formed at all. Of course, this can still create minority or coalition governments, but that also means that a more diverse spectrum of ideological parties are serious electoral contenders. A red-green coalition government isn't a divided government, but a Democratic president with a Republican legislature is.

He means as opposed to parliamentary systems which cannot have divided government because the head of GOVERNMENT is also the head of the legislature.

Obviously those have coalitions, and plenty of horse trading happens in setting those up, but I guess horses aren't pigs.
fixed :p

A red-green coalition government isn't a divided government, but a Democratic president with a Republican legislature is.

fixed :p

But this would still involve pork though? Just between the various coalitions.

I get your point overall and agree with it (in theory getting rid of the EC and making the House more representative would at least typically sync those up most of the time). But I don't really see much of a connection to elected leaders vying for things in their constituencies. It's largely the point of residency (without pork, there's really no reason to require residency and you could just pick people from anywhere).

But this would still involve pork though? Just between the various coalitions.

I get your point overall and agree with it (in theory getting rid of the EC and making the House more representative would at least typically sync those up most of the time). But I don't really see much of a connection to elected leaders vying for things in their constituencies. It's largely the point of residency (without pork, there's really no reason to require residency and you could just pick people from anywhere).
not really, unless we're defining pork differently or a party in the coalition is entirely regional?

If the Social Democrats' main legislative goals are increased welfare and educational spending but are, say, largely ambivalent towards or even mildly supportive of nuclear energy and the Greens are willing to support those goals on the condition that the Social Democrats replace nuclear power plants with windfarms over the course of the government (possibly even reducing the welfare increases) and they form a coalition on the terms that the Greens will support the increased welfare on that condition, that's not really pork imo. Pork is much more "I won't vote for this bill unless you spend government money to get my district that bridge" and I would characterize that as being much more individual and regional.

not really, unless we're defining pork differently or a party in the coalition is entirely regional?

The latter in the US. If we did move to a parliamentary system, we'd probably see more parties but I think they'd be highly regional (maybe some outliers here and there). So you'd see less "Representative X wants a bridge in their district" and more "Regional Party wants various bridges in their region."

We've even had people draw up these hypothetical regional parties . I think it's a fair reading of how multiple parties would form here.

At this point some state should just create a parliament. Maine would be a good one since they love third parties and it would stop them from electing insane governors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom