• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.
McConnell on Health Care, Tax reform:

"We're continuing to score some of the options on health care" McConnell says

https://twitter.com/lizcgoodwin/status/892451511908933632

"We will need to use reconciliation" McConnell says of tax reform, says "maybe" a few Dems will support it

https://twitter.com/lizcgoodwin/status/892451072828198912

Corker on Health Care:

"Health care's in the rearview mirror and we're moving towards tax reform" Sen Corker says after conference lunch

https://twitter.com/lizcgoodwin/status/892448731274125312

Sounds like a weird lunch...

I'm sorry. I thought I'd be over it by now but I just can't get past the Mooch having that fake conversation with an email scammer. That's just too crazy. I want to laugh but I'm scared at the same time.

McConnell on Health Care, Tax reform:

"We're continuing to score some of the options on health care" McConnell says

https://twitter.com/lizcgoodwin/status/892451511908933632

"We will need to use reconciliation" McConnell says of tax reform, says "maybe" a few Dems will support it

https://twitter.com/lizcgoodwin/status/892451072828198912

Corker on Health Care:

"Health care's in the rearview mirror and we're moving towards tax reform" Sen Corker says after conference lunch

https://twitter.com/lizcgoodwin/status/892448731274125312

Sounds like a weird lunch...

McConnell really can't admit defeat. He's embarrassing himself.

White House also just confirmed the WaPo story on the President dictating the statement saying: The President weighed in just as any father would."

Looking at some of the proposals for a bipartisan health bill, I'm wondering how it gets passed the house, or even Trump.

It's lots of additional funding, along with the medical device tax repeal, and a tweak to the employer mandate to up the minimum. I guess with Democrats, it could sail by the house, but would Ryan even put it up without changes? Would Trump sign something that is an extension of the ACA, not a repeal?

If that became law, Democrats would have basically won this fight entirely.

jtb

Banned
Anti-abortion people like Kaine, Biden, etc. got into power just fine and abortion rights were not damaged, were they?

Biden and Kaine are pro-choice. Yes, we should elect pro-choice Democrats. What exactly was your point supposed to be?

Wilsongt

Looks like the WH and Pentagon are starting to talk about the transgender ban...

There is just so much stupid associates with this. It has to have Pence written all over it.

tmarg

McConnell really can't admit defeat. He's embarrassing himself.

If he did admit defeat, the resulting Trump temper tantrum would almost certainly make raising the debt limit impossible.

As much as I enjoy seeing him suffer, a lot of the criticism towards him is kind of unfair. At least in terms of his ability to push the agenda, not so much in terms of him being a terrible person.

PBY

Banned
Looking at some of the proposals for a bipartisan health bill, I'm wondering how it gets passed the house, or even Trump.

It's lots of additional funding, along with the medical device tax repeal, and a tweak to the employer mandate to up the minimum. I guess with Democrats, it could sail by the house, but would Ryan even put it up without changes? Would Trump sign something that is an extension of the ACA, not a repeal?

This would be v good.

pigeon

Banned

That's how Boehner gets it done. Dem policy, Dem votes, one unimportant GOP sweetener.

Getting Trump to sign it will be harder, but I suspect it'll be in the debt ceiling bill.

To get Trump to sign it, they'd have to call it "Totally Not Obamacare, Trump Wins Bigly Healthcare Act of 2017."

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Why is Sarah Huckabee Sanders wearing something off a background extra from one of the Star Wars prequels?

Why does she always look like she's chewing invisible gum?

Pedrito

its still baffling to me that sarah sanders isn't the head of the whole white house pr. she is way better than spicer and mooch.

She's freaking awful. She never answers anything. She's the most condescending PR person I've seen. The whole pool probably despises her. Just because she stays calm and looks like she doesn't give a shit doesn't mean she's doing a good job.

Treating journalists like shit like she and he boss do probably motivates them to find even more dirt.

YOU. DON'T. JOKE. ABOUT. POLICE. BRUTALITY.

I wish some reporter with two brain cells would shut that fucking excuse down every time they use it with "Did he mean it or not? Yes or no?"

Because you can "joke" about something AND STILL MEAN IT. It's a nonsense piece-of-shit cowardly weasel answer that you can use every time until someone makes you shut the fuck up about it. And yes, of course he wasn't joking in the first place.

She's freaking awful. She never answers anything. She's the most condescending PR person I've seen. The whole pool probably despises her. Just because she stays calm and looks like she doesn't give a shit doesn't mean she's doing a good job.

Treating journalists like shit like she and he boss do probably motivate them to find even more dirt.

that exactly what trump wants. i'm not saying i like her, i'm saying shes exactly the person that the administration wants in front of the press.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Biden and Kaine are pro-choice. Yes, we should elect pro-choice Democrats. What exactly was your point supposed to be?

Kaine and Biden weren't anti-abortion though.

They are anti-abortion. That is their personal belief. However, they don't vote that way because they don't believe it is good to enforce that belief on Americans.

That's the type of democratic candidate I'm fine with.

"It was a joke" is their excuse for absolutely everything. We should compile a list of everything Trump and other Republicans have said all the way back to the primary where they said it was just a joke/they were only kidding.

They use this to cover everything.

Colluding with Russia? Only kidding.
Police brutality? Only kidding.
Murdering my opponent with a gun? Only kidding.
Sexually assaulting women? Only kidding.
President pushing conspiracy theories to the media? Only kidding.

I didn't mean it. I didn't mean it. It's all a joke!

Ryuuroden

Talking in chat about this helped me articulate why I hate this argument -- it's based on condescension.

If you believe that voting for a pro-life Democrat is fine because what really matters is getting Pelosi as Speaker and Schumer as Majority Leader...why do you assume pro-life voters can't make the exact same calculation?

If you believe that a pro-life Democrat can get voted in and only make vague messaging votes towards their pro-life position...why do you assume pro-life voters won't expect him to do that and punish him?

We can't win people's votes by tricking them with plans we publicize in the national media. If we want to win pro-life votes, we're going to have to offer them the opportunity to get substantive gains for the pro-life position. Otherwise they'll probably continue voting for the party they trust to be pro-life.

Since I have no interest in the pro-life position making substantive gains, it makes no sense to me to try to win pro-life votes.

Republicans trick their voters all the time and still get their votes. Pro life dems are trying to get republican social issue voters who get tricked time after time anyways. Why can't we be the ones who use those voters as tools if they are dumb enough to stay ignorant outside of what they see in commercials.
You are giving too much credit to a large portion of the voting public.

An ACA fix bill would stop ACA repeal dead in its tracks. How would the GOP be able to argue that this bill is terrible and needs to be repealed blah blah blah after fixing the damn thing?

Really hope it manages to get through.

Hmm.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/st...-circle-is-urging-deval-patrick-to-run-215443

BOSTON — Barack Obama is nudging him to run. His inner circle is actively encouraging it. Obama world’s clear and away 2020 favorite is sitting right here, on the 38th floor of the John Hancock Building, in a nicely decorated office at Bain Capital.

And Deval Patrick has many thoughts on what he says is Donald Trump’s governing by fear and a dishonest pitch for economic nostalgia, while encouraging a rise in casual racism and ditching any real commitment to civil rights.

Obama strategist David Axelrod has had several conversations with Patrick about running, and eagerly rattles off the early primary map logic: small-town campaign experience from his 2006 gubernatorial run that will jibe perfectly with Iowa, neighbor-state advantage in New Hampshire and the immediate bloc of votes he’d have as an African-American heading into South Carolina.

Valerie Jarrett, Obama’s close adviser and friend, says that a President Patrick is what “my heart desires.”

David Simas, Obama’s political director in the White House and now the CEO of his foundation, used to be Patrick’s deputy chief of staff and remains perhaps his biggest fan on the planet.

Obama himself—who is personally close to Patrick, and counts him among the very small group of people whom he thinks has actual political talent—has privately encouraged him to think about it, among others.

but then why did he do this

Instead, he’s been at Bain Capital, running a new social good private equity fund called Double Impact, which has raised $390 million for investments in small- and medium-size companies that he said need to show a focus on “sustainability, health and wellness, and then a place-based strategy we’re calling ‘community building,’ which is about companies that are intentional about creating good jobs and economic activity in places of chronic underemployment.” The first two investments are in a chain of small, low-cost gyms in Michigan and Indiana that he hopes will bring affordable fitness to underserved areas, and in a company in Texas that diverts organic waste.

Not that any of this matters to Bernie Sanders-ized Democrats who are suspicious of finance types to begin with, and were taught by Obama’s 2012 brutal campaign attacks on Mitt Romney to think of Bain as a curse word—though notably, not by Patrick himself, who despite his friendship with Obama and co-chairmanship of the campaign, repeatedly refused to join in on the bashing.

“When I joined the firm, I think it took two or three days to work out the terms, and 2½ weeks to figure out how to announce it,” Patrick said, acknowledging the awkwardness he was getting himself into.

Among the people he talked to about it: Obama.

He laughed when the podcast interview began with a question about Bain. But he answered without hesitating. Bain is a good company, he said. Romney, whom he barely knows, hasn’t been around for a long time. Plus, what he’s doing there is different. “We know how in public life, people and institutions get turned into cartoons,” Patrick said.

The Bain stuff is going to be such a headache in the primary. He shouldn't have taken the job if he had larger aspirations. So stupid.

Wilsongt

Treating journalists like shit like she and he boss do probably motivates them to find even more dirt.

Plus her father is a giant asshole.

@lachlan
·
8m
Sarah Sanders ends the briefing by saying she's "not sure" whether the president believes Seth Rich was involved in the hacking of the DNC.

OH MY GOD BURN THIS ENTIRE ADMIN TO THE GROUND. Send the british in to burn the white house down again

What even is a Syria anyway. It's just some lines drawn on a map telling us where some people live. Aren't we all Syria, after all? - Tillerson

Go Danica Go! Hillary won this seat by a lot!

http://www.washingtonblade.com/2017/08/01/danica-roem-raises-112000-july/

Danica Roem on Tuesday announced her campaign against Virginia state Del. Bob Marshall (R-Prince William County) raised more than $112,000 in July.

Roem told supporters in an email that she raised $112,974.21 from 820 donations.

She said her campaign raised more than $70,000 since President Trump on July 26 announced a ban on transgender people in the U.S. military. This figure includes a $50,000 donation that Roem received from Milwaukee County (Wis.) Executive Chris Abele, who chairs the Gay and Lesbian Victory Fund, after Trump made the announcement on Twitter as the Washington Post reported.

Roem in her email noted Marshall supports the ban. She also added the Prince William County Republican in 2014 sponsored a bill that would have banned gays and lesbians from serving in the Virginia National Guard.

”Discrimination has no place in our community, especially in Prince William County, home of the U.S. Marine Corps Base Quantico," wrote Roem.

Marshall, who is among the most vocal opponents of LGBT rights in the Virginia General Assembly, has represented the 13th District in the state House of Delegates since 1992.

Roem is the first openly trans nominee for public office in Virginia. She would also make history as the first out trans person seated in any state legislature if she were to beat Marshall in November.

The Victory Fund, the Trans United Fund, Equality Virginia's Political Action Committee and the Pride Fund to End Gun Violence are among the groups that have endorsed Roem.

Kusagari

Deval Patrick isn't going anywhere in a Democratic primary.

I find it bizarre how Obama seems unable to recognize what brought him to prominence.

This is literally Hillary all over again. They're not learning.

Yup. How could Obama just think this is nbd all over again? Clearly, it's a big fucking deal, and the fact that he can't understand that is really disheartening that he can't see this is a terrible idea.

Do voters even remember Bain Capital?

I think believing something like that will sink a candidate after 2016 is a stretch.

I just keep reading over and over that Patrick can't be president because he works at Bain Capital and I just don't believe most people will actually care anymore.

EDIT: This is not an endorsement.

I think believing something like that will sink a candidate after 2016 is a stretch.

I just keep reading over and over that Patrick can't be president because he works at Bain Capital and I just don't believe most people will actually care anymore.

Hillary couldn't answer questions convincingly about giving paid speeches to Goldman Sachs, so yeah, it matters.

PBY

Banned

EDIT: This is not an endorsement.

The left is going to go apeshit (whether you think that matters, is a different discussion), and it will be a little tough to reconcile with some of the messaging Obama put out against Romney.

It won't fire up the base for sure though.

kirblar

Really hoping for some big gains in the VA legislature this year. Consensus seems to be that picking up the 17 required seats for a majority will be tough, but we have to try.
I finally got an ad from our local Delegate nominee. Hopefully they keep it up as the election draws closer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom