• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogodei

Just because the diplomat gets expelled doesn't mean they get fired. That's up to the State Department.

Unless the people being turned out of Russia are being greeted by a pink slip when they reach our shores?

I think that a similar scenario to 1998 is possible if we are not careful. And that Pelosi and Schumer should keep everyone in congress quiet on "impeach Trump", talk and let Mueller do his job.

Regardless of the differences of the process in 98 and 2018 I don't think it's crazy to imagine the GOP base reacting in a a similar way remaining energized because they believe the opposition is going after their guy too hard.

The only way turnout goes down is if GOP infighting continues and many people who still believe Trump is a victim in all this down have an outlet because even their Reps have had to turn their backs on Trump

A 1998 scenario seems awfully unlikely to me. Two key facts about that election were that Clinton was popular and the Republicans actually impeached him. Trump is unpopular and the numbers are such that the Democrats can't impeach him alone even if they wanted to.

Sure you have some people talking about impeachment now, but you also did in 2010 (with nothing to justify it) and it galvanized the Democratic base so well we lost 63 House seats. Anti-anti-Trumpism is only going to get the GOP so far.

Taking the House will not be easy due to gerrymandering, but making gains in the House is almost certain.

Valhelm

contribute something
That's good, social services are dumb and inefficient. We should replace them all with basic income!

Yglesias has been retweeting studies about this for years -- the best welfare program by all measurements is straight cash transfers. All of our other systems are basically bad, with high overhead, limited effectiveness, and more onerousness for recipients, because they're designed to overcome the social stigma against just giving poor people money so that they can buy the things they need.

You're forgetting that social services include hospitals, schools, and public transportation. Privatizing our amenities is terrible because it makes profit the factor upon which these services operate. Democratic accountability crumbles away, and the second one company gets a monopoly on some kind of service we find ourselves in a Comcast situation.

Cash transfers are dangerous because even with a monthly check you can be ruined by a medical emergency or a particularly high water bill. Abolishing free services which provide food and healthcare means that our poorest citizens are in an even more precarious situation, even if they're less poor in absolute terms than they used to be. If we agree that relieving poverty is the purpose of universal basic income, then any future policy needs to augment our existing welfare state.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Kind of stupid considering the context of his statement but if it gets his worthless ass off of peoples televisions - great.

They were probably looking for an excuse at this point. It's been pretty clear for a while that the anchors, especially Cooper, were barely tolerating him.

It seems like trump got a talking to.

Because his comments on NK are bad but they seem to be more couched in, if kim attacks, we'll respond, which is obvious. Which is normal besides trumps bombast over "the likes of which we've never seen" and "fire and fury"

pigeon

Banned
You're forgetting that social services include hospitals, schools, and public transportation. Privatizing our amenities is terrible because it makes profit the factor upon which these services operate. Democratic accountability crumbles away, and the second one company gets a monopoly on some kind of service we find ourselves in a Comcast situation.

Sure, I agree that the government should still be responsible for infrastructure, which I include all those in. I was talking more about alternate transfer programs.

Cash transfers are dangerous because even with a monthly check you can be ruined by a medical emergency or a particularly high water bill.

I mean, you mostly can't? I certainly can't, because I have a bunch of cash, and I used that cash to buy good insurance and save some money for unexpected expenses.

People who can be ruined by a medical emergency are living in a state of precarity. That state isn't arbitrary or mysterious -- they are in precarity because they have no money to provide security for themselves! They're not running around without insurance or with no savings or credit because they think those are awesome conditions, they're doing it because they are poor. If we give them a bunch of money they'll buy the things they need to insure themselves against catastrophe. Then they won't be in precarity any more.

This is not to say we shouldn't still do things like manage healthcare publicly -- that's infrastructure. It's just to push back against your unclear ideas about precarity.

Abolishing free services which provide food and healthcare means that our poorest citizens are in an even more precarious situation, even if they're less poor in absolute terms than they used to be. If we agree that relieving poverty is the purpose of universal basic income, then any future policy needs to augment our existing welfare state.

I agree that relieving poverty is the purpose of UBI, but your conclusion simply doesn't follow. If we give our poorest citizens a bunch of money...they won't be poor any more. That will make their situation naturally less precarious. It's not clear to me where you think precarity originates.

Cash transfers are dangerous because even with a monthly check you can be ruined by a medical emergency or a particularly high water bill. Abolishing free services which provide food and healthcare means that our poorest citizens are in an even more precarious situation, even if they're less poor in absolute terms than they used to be. If we agree that relieving poverty is the purpose of universal basic income, then any future policy needs to augment our existing welfare state.

No one is talking about HSAs. But quite a lot of social services are hamstrung by treating poor people like children and mandating what they use the money on (ex: food stamps). That's inefficient and demeaning.

They will gain a seat this year if Menendez is convicted

But I'll again point out that the GOP was never one vote away from passing repeal. They only had the votes for skinny repeal on the condition it wouldn't get a vote in the house. They'll also have to start over in the house if they want to bring it up after tax reform
Even if he is convicted, the NJ GOP isn't picking off a Senate seat in Trump's midterm.

Valhelm

contribute something
No one is talking about HSAs. But quite a lot of social services are hamstrung by treating poor people like children and mandating what they use the money on (ex: food stamps). That's inefficient and demeaning.

Food, housing, and medicine must always be available to those who need it. If we replace our current welfare state with direct single payer, these benefits are no longer guaranteed.

Personally, I'd prefer a universal system for distributing human needs not pegged to any dollar amount. Poor people should be entitled to a minimum of food and shelter even if they don't have money, as a way to free up their limited finances for more discretionary investments, like a nicer apartment or a college education.

Not only does this relieve the stresses of poverty more effectively than a monthly check, but it allows for a greater stimulus of our economy and more taxable income. The only people who would be harmed by this system are the property owners who take so much from society that they are obligated to give something back through their taxes.

Have you ever been poor before? People just don't pay their water bill or medical bills if it's between that and eating.

Yeah, and then you lose your lights and water. If these services are free and held in common, nobody has to worry about that.

Loxley

OIibdru.jpg

Food, housing, and medicine must always be available to those who need it. If we replace our current welfare state with direct single payer, these benefits are no longer guaranteed.
Food and housing benefits are already specified in dollar amounts.

Personally, I'd prefer a universal system for distributing human needs not pegged to any dollar amount. Poor people should be entitled to a minimum of food and shelter even if they don't have money, as a way to free up their limited finances for more discretionary investments, like a nicer apartment or a college education.
How do you measure a "minimum of food and shelter"? Because dollar amounts do that extremely well.

Not only does this relieve the stresses of poverty more effectively than a monthly check, but it allows for a greater stimulus of our economy and more taxable income. The only people who would be harmed by this system are the property owners who take so much from society that they are obligated to give something back through their taxes.
How can you make this claim when you haven't quantified your alternative at all?

Yeah, and then you lose your lights and water. If these services are free and held in common, nobody has to worry about that.
Why do you think it's possible for services to be free or held in common? Especially scarce goods like water and energy.

I think sometimes he doesn't realize how much the US government has in terms of funds, and he thinks somehow diplomats not being on the payroll somehow makes the bottom line look better, even though it's the smallest of small drops in the bucket.

It's the blatantness of it all. Like, hiding in plain sight or something. There's no way to look at it other than serving the real Don in Moscow. I almost guarentee this is what that quiet meeting between T-Rex and the Kremlin was about: messaging and groveling.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

If this keeps up, we MAY see a slight push behind the scenes by the GOP for impeachment before the election in 2018. If these numbers keep falling, they may hit the panic button.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

Okay, so say you guarantee every person has access to $50 of food per week, or whatever. Why not just... give them $50? If spending it entirely on food is entirely as they want, then they'll go and spend it on food, and there's no difference between your policy and mine, but if they chose to spend only some portion of it on food and would otherwise spend some of it on something else, your policy has stopped them doing that - it's fundamentally paternalistic; it assumes they're not best placed to make their own choices. It's an oddly conservative approach to welfare I'm surprised to see coming from you.

I don't get this at all, especially the bold. How do you make sure people have food? Are you sending them food boxes? Because that's the same demeaning thing I'm talking about with food stamps that only work on certain foods.

Poor people can be trusted to buy their own groceries. Just give them the money to do that.

PBY

Banned
Okay, so say you guarantee every person has access to $50 of food per week, or whatever. Why not just... give them $50? If spending it entirely on food is entirely as they want, then they'll go and spend it on food, and there's no difference between your policy and mine, but if they chose to spend only some portion of it on food and would otherwise spend some of it on something else, your policy has stopped them doing that - it's fundamentally paternalistic; it assumes they're not best placed to make their own choices. It's an oddly conservative approach to welfare I'm surprised to see coming from you.

Sure, but what if they spend the $50 on garbage food, or cigarettes for example.

If you are covering their healthcare costs, its in the government's best interest to ensure that the money is spent in a way that is healthy.

My point isn't to put more restrictions on welfare, but to point out that UBI isn't a silver bullet.

pigeon

Banned

Yes, I agree with this. I just wouldn't give them that food and shelter in kind, because it would be extremely inefficient for the government to acquire and distribute it, unnecessarily restrictive to the financial choices of the people receiving benefits, who may want to spend some money on food or shelter but now can't effectively do so without suffering regressive loss of benefits, and naturally lead to the development of an exploitative black market in services that are not ideally suited to the needs of the individual receiving them.

Instead, I propose giving people enough money to purchase that food and shelter for themselves. This way they can get exactly what they want, leveraging the existing market structure, which is already heavily subsidized and strongly networked, and if they're able to get food or shelter through a secondary avenue, they're not punished for their resourcefulness by the government, but can simply redirect that money to other needs.

It's an oddly conservative approach to welfare I'm surprised to see coming from you.

If you phrase it as "authoritarian" instead of "conservative" it's less surprising to see coming from him!

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Sure, but what if they spend the $50 on garbage food, or cigarettes for example.

If you are covering their healthcare costs, its in the government's best interest to ensure that the money is spent in a way that is healthy.

My point isn't to put more restrictions on welfare, but to point out that UBI isn't a silver bullet.

No, sure, but you're biting the bullet and saying: we, the government, are very happy to be paternalistic. Now, I think on the facts of the evidence you're simply wrong - e.g., cigaratte consumption actually decreases as income rises - but that's another topic. For Valhelm, given his moral background, I would have thought that there would have been some kind of political resistance to the deliberate reduction in autonomy and freedom of the working classes by the state's bureaucratic organs, typically controlled by the bourgeoisie.

PBY

Banned
No, sure, but you're biting the bullet and saying: we, the government, are very happy to be paternalistic. Now, I think on the facts of the evidence you're simply wrong - e.g., cigaratte consumption actually decreases as income rises - but that's another topic. For Valhelm, given his moral background, I would have thought that there would have been some kind of political resistance to the deliberate reduction in autonomy and freedom of the working classes by the state's bureaucratic organs, typically controlled by the bourgeoisie.

Agreed.

I'm just thinking about issues relating to how to effectively tailor a program to do most good. You have to consider the accessibility of healthy, fresh food (and tailor this program to encourage supermarket development in areas that have none, for example). If the government is on the hook for healthcare costs, you want to ensure that a level of autonomy and freedom is accompanied by readily available healthy choices.

pigeon

Banned

a. They don't, studies show this.

b. Who fucking cares? It's not my job to babysit these people, it's my job to ensure they have the opportunities that society has denied them. They have the right to turn down those opportunities if they want to for some dumb reason. My moral responsibility to ensure they are fed does not come with a right to control their actions.

We don't do this for any other people in America, even though everybody's healthcare, food, transportation, etc. are all heavily subsidized by the government. Why should we single out the poor for oppressive management of their personal choices? This is literally the argument that is routinely used to justify drug tests for welfare recipients. You should stop swallowing right-wing messaging!

But your reasoning for why UBI isn't a silver bullet is that poor people might be too stupid to make their own choices. I defy this judgemental position.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
The value of individual dignity is deeply underrated. UBI respects that dignity in a way that more particular payment transfer programs don't.

Valhelm

contribute something
Food and housing benefits are already specified in dollar amounts.

How do you measure a "minimum of food and shelter"? Because dollar amounts do that extremely well.

How can you make this claim when you haven't quantified your alternative at all?

Why do you think it's possible for services to be free or held in common? Especially scarce goods like water and energy.

Human needs like food, shelter, and healthcare should be guaranteed no matter what. If we build a welfare state based on need fulfillment rather than dollar entitlement, we can make sure that nobody slips through the cracks. The worst that can happen is that a middle class person goes to a clinic or cafeteria meant for poor people, but they're still paying through their taxes so there's little harm done.

As long as resources like water and electricity are nationalized rather than privatized, quality is beholden to local democratic pressures rather than market demands. This is great, because it means nobody will skimp on quality to make some extra cash, and protects other tax-based programs from being dismantled.

So many of our local crises, most obviously the Flint water disaster, are caused by cash-strapped governments ceding authority to for-profit enterprises. If we raise taxes and ensure transparent and democratic management of our social services, this won't happen.

PBY

Banned
a. They don't, studies show this.

b. Who fucking cares? It's not my job to babysit these people, it's my job to ensure they have the opportunities that society has denied them. They have the right to turn down those opportunities if they want to for some dumb reason. My moral responsibility to ensure they are fed does not come with a right to control their actions.

We don't do this for any other people in America, even though everybody's healthcare, food, transportation, etc. are all heavily subsidized by the government. Why should we single out the poor for oppressive management of their personal choices? This is literally the argument that is routinely used to justify drug tests for welfare recipients. You should stop swallowing right-wing messaging!

But your reasoning for why UBI isn't a silver bullet is that poor people might be too stupid to make their own choices. I defy this judgemental position.

I don't actually think we're disagreeing that much. I'm concerned that these programs need to be tailored to (1) provide sufficient money to afford healthy food, as opposed to cheap junk (2) provide appropriate access to healthy food (I don't need to get into food deserts and lack of healthy options that are available in lower income neighborhoods) and (3) corresponding access to health education.

I've read a lot recently about food access in lower income areas, and that is a unique problem to the poor - in many cases, healthy, fresh food simply isn't accessible. I just read this book and its a fascinating study (http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt...w-u-s-policies-encouraged-fast-food-to-spread)

Agreed.

I'm just thinking about issues relating to how to effectively tailor a program to do most good. You have to consider the accessibility of healthy, fresh food (and tailor this program to encourage supermarket development in areas that have none, for example). If the government is on the hook for healthcare costs, you want to ensure that a level of autonomy and freedom is accompanied by readily available healthy choices.

This is a problem for everyone buying garbage food and while certainly something to discuss has absolutely nothing to do with what poor people should or shouldn't buy.

We're either talking about policing everyone's eating habits or no one's, and either way we shouldn't make poor people wait on figuring it out.

PBY

Banned
This is a problem for everyone buying garbage food and while certainly something to discuss has absolutely nothing to do with what poor people should or shouldn't buy.

We're either talking about policing everyone's eating habits or no one's, and either way we shouldn't make poor people wait on figuring it out.

This is uniquely a problem that pervades lower income areas. Its not about policing, its about access.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom