• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
It's also possible spending her time in Minnesota, despite the lack of an "x" factor that gets coastal liberals excited she has a better pulse on how to appeal to the rust belt voters that Hillary did poorly with than Harris or Gillibrand. But that's just speculation

It's also possible spending her time in Minnesota, despite the lack of an "x" factor that gets coastal liberals excited she has a better pulse on how to appeal to the rust belt voters that Hillary did poorly with than Harris or Gillibrand. But that's just speculation
I mean, just look at this:

Mn-sen-2012-2.png

Obviously being a hometown hero is no guarantee of how she'd do nationally, but don't underestimate Klobuchar. She's extremely folksy and personable and has a great record.

I just dont wanna have a beer with her. She might bore me to death about how asian carps are destroying the local city waterways.

So Trump officially declared the opiod crisis a national emergency today in NJ:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...bd5460f0d7e_story.html?utm_term=.37585658f160

President Trump on Thursday declared the country’s opioid crisis a national emergency, saying the scourge exceeded anything he had seen with other drugs in his lifetime.

“It’s a national emergency. We’re going to spend a lot of time, a lot of effort and a lot of money on the opioid crisis,” Trump said, speaking to reporters outside a national security briefing at his golf club in Bedminster, N.J., where he is on a working vacation. “It is a serious problem, the likes of which we’ve never had. You know, when I was growing up, they had the LSD, and they had certain generations of drugs. There’s never been anything like what’s happened to this country over the last four or five years.”

Also, his hits on McConnell have the claws coming out from established Senators defending him like Hatch:

Senator Hatch Office‏Verified account
@senorrinhatch

"@SenateMajLdr has been the best leader we’ve had in my time in the Senate, through very tough challenges. I fully support him." -Hatch

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
What if manafort was like "um could you guys like, do a raid so it doesn't look like I snitched? Just till I am in witness protection."

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Picking Booker as VP is like the political equivalent of DBZ characters choosing to fight with super heavy weighted clothing on just to see if they could win with a self implemented disadvantage

It would actually be a worse choice than picking Kaine, and that's a tough bar to raise.

The Senate Budget Committee won't even begun marking up its budget resolution until October:

http://thehill.com/policy/finance/346068-senate-panel-might-not-take-up-budget-until-october

That timeline is an admission that the budget and spending process is unlikely to be resolved by the end of September and that a stop-gap spending measure will likely be needed to keep the government running.

Under normal order, the House and Senate are meant to pass budget resolutions in April, paving the way for appropriators to write, amend and pass 12 spending bills for the new fiscal year on Oct. 1.

Not exactly a surprise and its been coming to that for some time. There are a total of 12 legislative days in September to pass a debt ceiling increase and a continuing resolution to keep the government funded. Will the Trump White House try to fight for more border wall money in the CR? I can't wait to see how that plays out.

Again, I've resigned myself to a government shutdown. If not over the CR battle, then whenever the actual budget appropriations bill is up to fight over....

So Trump officially declared the opiod crisis a national emergency today in NJ:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...bd5460f0d7e_story.html?utm_term=.37585658f160

Also, his hits on McConnell have the claws coming out from established Senators defending him like Hatch:

Unless there are plans drawn and funding the problem will get worse. I read that in some of local areas it is massive problem; these people are going to need more money. The lessen restrictions are going to mean that much if they don't have the money. I however, doubt that Congress is going to give it enough money for it. The Ohio Senators were requesting 45 billion when they was negotiating the healthcare bill.

PBY

Banned
That Elon Musk thread is one of the most fucked up threads I've read in a while, but it puts into perspective how America views labor rights.

And its depressing.

Ken Dilanian‏Verified account @KenDilanianNBC 7m7 minutes ago
More
According to @KellyO , Trump just now said he thanks Putin for kicking US diplomats out of Moscow, saying, `We want to reduce our payroll.'

Valhelm

contribute something
That Elon Musk thread is one of the most fucked up threads I've read in a while, but it puts into perspective how America views labor rights.

And its depressing.

This is why many of us are worried about Dem attempts to court Silicon Valley types

barber

And its depressing.

As a european the views of american about labour rights and syndicates is probably the main reason why i wouldn't want to work there.The fact that normal people encourage that type of behaviour that is clearly a power move (as in no matter who you are you are not worth it! know your place) is sad.
Edit: Like seriously, i wouldn't be able to work without having a months worth of holidays per year aprox. Or yearly compulsory pay raises due to collective agreements

pigeon

Banned
This is why many of us are worried about Dem attempts to court Silicon Valley types

That's why they support basic income, though, so at least there's a plan for the people they think are basically unproductive.

I think this is kind of dumb but I think wage slavery makes people unproductive anyway so I'm fine with people who want to get rid of it. Once people are free from the lash of hunger we'll find out exactly how productive they are.

Trump Admin has also killed any outreach for Obamacare Latino sign-ups.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/trump-hhs-abandons-latino-outreach-on-obamacare

Partnering with national legacy Latino civil rights groups like LULAC and National Council of La Raza (recently renamed Unidos), the Obama administration created materials in Spanish, sent its cabinet members around the country to promote enrollment, solicited feedback from grassroots groups about how to best message to Latinos young and old, responded in real time when those groups flagged problems on the ground, participated in health care town halls on Univision that reached millions of people, launched social media campaigns, and organized summits on health care.

Steven Lopez, the associate director of health policy at Unidos, told TPM that all this effort was necessary to reach a historically underserved demographic.

”For a number of folks, this was their first time ever having insurance," he explained. ”There was a lot of confusion and misinformation about what insurance is and who is eligible. We were also working with people disproportionately impacted by limited English proficiency. So we worked closely with HHS in identifying and addressing enrollment barriers, finding out what was impeding folks' ability to get enrolled."

In particular, Lopez said, the line of communication the groups had with the federal government was ”incredibly important."

Radio silence from the admin since January with these Latino groups. Latino uninsured rates have experienced the largest declines since the ACA passed.

The full Putin response:

Valhelm

contribute something
That's why they support basic income, though, so at least there's a plan for the people they think are basically unproductive.

I think this is kind of dumb but I think wage slavery makes people unproductive anyway so I'm fine with people who want to get rid of it. Once people are free from the lash of hunger we'll find out exactly how productive they are.

Basic income is a good idea, but a lot of its proponents are silicon valley sociopaths who just want an excuse to slash all social services.

Trump Admin has also killed any outreach for Obamacare Latino sign-ups.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/trump-hhs-abandons-latino-outreach-on-obamacare

What's that quote? Republicans say government doesn't work, and when they take power they prove it.

pigeon

Banned
Basic income is a good idea, but a lot of its proponents are silicon valley sociopaths who just want an excuse to slash all social services.

That's good, social services are dumb and inefficient. We should replace them all with basic income!

Yglesias has been retweeting studies about this for years -- the best welfare program by all measurements is straight cash transfers. All of our other systems are basically bad, with high overhead, limited effectiveness, and more onerousness for recipients, because they're designed to overcome the social stigma against just giving poor people money so that they can buy the things they need.

That's good, social services are dumb and inefficient. We should replace them all with basic income!

Yglesias has been retweeting studies about this for years -- the best welfare program by all measurements is straight cash transfers. All of our other systems are basically bad, with high overhead, limited effectiveness, and more onerousness for recipients, because they're designed to overcome the social stigma against just giving poor people money so that they can buy the things they need.

Yep, it's the old food stamps debate. Poor people can be trusted with money (and studies show this!) so the ideal safety net is a load of cash.

Slizeezyc

That quote on Putin is incredible. Absolutely incredible. Just when i think it can't possibly get more absurd.

I think sometimes he doesn't realize how much the US government has in terms of funds, and he thinks somehow diplomats not being on the payroll somehow makes the bottom line look better, even though it's the smallest of small drops in the bucket.

I think sometimes he doesn't realize how much the US government has in terms of funds, and he thinks somehow diplomats not being on the payroll somehow makes the bottom line look better, even though it's the smallest of small drops in the bucket.

I think it's a poor attempt at dark humor. It's actually kinda funny if you pretend Selina Meyer said it.

PBY

Banned

And... aren't they technically still employed lol

He's a veritable chatty Cathy today...

Jim Sciutto‏Verified account @jimsciutto 9m9 minutes ago

POTUS issues new threat to #NorthKorea: "He does something in Guam, it will be an event the likes of which we haven't seen before"

Ben Jacobs‏Verified account @Bencjacobs 9m9 minutes ago
More
Trump says of Iran deal that "he personally doesn't think [Iran] is in compliance"

Ben Jacobs‏Verified account @Bencjacobs 8m8 minutes ago
More
Trump says "inner White House leaks are not very important. Actually I'm very honored by them"

Zeke Miller‏Verified account @ZekeJMiller 7m7 minutes ago
More
Trump: "Russia spent a lot of money fighting me"

Ben Jacobs‏Verified account @Bencjacobs 6m6 minutes ago
More
Trump says the Russia investigation is "an investigation of an event that never took place"

Ben Jacobs‏Verified account @Bencjacobs 5m5 minutes ago
More
Trump on the special counsel: "I'm not dismissing anybody"

Ben Jacobs‏Verified account @Bencjacobs 5m5 minutes ago
More
Trump: I don't speak to Russians

Phil Elliott‏Verified account @Philip_Elliott 4m4 minutes ago
More
"I won because I was a much better candidate," Trump says. "Russia had nothing to do with me winning. ... I guess I did a good job."

Ben Jacobs‏Verified account @Bencjacobs 1m1 minute ago
More
Trump: Nobody has greater respect for intelligence than Donald Trump

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom