• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gingrich: Trump ‘Can’t Disassociate Himself’ From O’Care Repeal Failure

“The fact is, with a very narrow margin, 52 people, Mitch McConnell got 49 out of 52. I think the President can’t disassociate himself from this. He is part of the leadership team,” Gingrich said, appearing on “Fox and Friends.” “He is not an observer sitting in the stands. He is on the field. It was a collective failure.”
“This may take three or four or five years or 10 or 12 bills. I’m not sure anybody is smart enough to write a single bill to replace Obamacare in one giant step. … I’m equally afraid they will mishandle the tax cuts exactly the way they mishandled health care. If that happens, we’ll be at the end of the year with a disaster,” he said.

I have a feeling that if a younger person starts parroting Bernie they'll bail.

They'll need a quality history of supporting their positions rather than just parroting him.

Also the question of "why didn't he/she endorse Bernie last cycle if they really allign with his ideas"

Really the only notable Dem younger dem who was a full on Bernie supporter until the end was..

nvm forget it there was no one.

sangreal

Okay but that's not likely at all to be the case in 2019.

Nobody (rational at least) ever talks about the GOP gaining seats in the senate in 2019.

They will gain a seat this year if Menendez is convicted

But I'll again point out that the GOP was never one vote away from passing repeal. They only had the votes for skinny repeal on the condition it wouldn't get a vote in the house. They'll also have to start over in the house if they want to bring it up after tax reform

A few other nuggets from the press pool:

Matt Berman‏Verified account @Mr_Berman 1m1 minute ago
More
Trump: “When I was growing up, they had the LSD"

Jeremy Diamond‏Verified account @JDiamond1 51s52 seconds ago
More
Trump on Mattis statement: "Mattis may have taken it a step beyond what I said."

Ben Jacobs‏Verified account @Bencjacobs 12s13 seconds ago
More
Trump: If North Korea does anything in terms of thinking about attack . . . they should be very very nervous

lesley clark‏Verified account @lesleyclark 4m4 minutes ago
More
"I just want him to get repeal + replace done," @realDonaldTrump says of @SenateMajLdr . "Where's the bill, I want to sign it."

Jeremy Diamond‏Verified account @JDiamond1 4m4 minutes ago
More
Trump on North Korea: "We'll always consider negotiations, but they've been negotiating now for 25 years..."

Jeremy Diamond‏Verified account @JDiamond1 6m6 minutes ago
More
Trump on "fire and fury" comment --> "Maybe it wasn't tough enough...we're backed 100% by our military and we're backed by everybody."

Jeremy Diamond‏Verified account @JDiamond1 56s57 seconds ago
More
Trump says "people of this country should be very comfortable." Says N. Koreans should be "nervous" if NK considers attacking US or allies

Didn't they say the other day that they wouldn't?

Secretary of HHS said they would not be, yes. Apparently, as with most things in this White House the left hand has no fucking clue what the right hand is doing.

The other option is that Trump is drawing up the paperwork "just in case" it gets to that. That would be giving him far too much credit though.

tenor.gif
....and this month is supposed to be the vacation month!

Also he seems to be stressing response to an "attack" which is status quo instead of letting his big fat flapping mouth fly about responding to a "threat" like he did yesterday

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Hot take: Republicans don't actually want to deal with the opioid crisis because it is ravaging rural areas and it keeps that social class in the same position.

Also he seems to be stressing response to an "attack" which is status quo instead of letting his big fat flapping mouth fly about responding to a "threat" like he did yesterday

It's the classic Trump move. Gaslight us about the red line and how that was always an attack and that was always what he meant and that he's new to the job and that he was joking off the cuff.

We'll see how NK reacts.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Would be really happy to see Klobuchar run if Franken or even Brown don't.

we 100% need more midwestern politicians in the mix. The current lineup is too coastal heavy

I agree. Harris is the least disagreeable to me of those four politically, but she needs to be tested by a politician of Klobuchar's type before I'd get too confident of Harris' winning chances.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think there's room in the electoral market for Booker and Gillibrand to run against each other. They fill the same niche, and both would block the other from winning if they stayed in for the long-run. I think one of them will be effectively pressured out by the invisible primary.

Hot take: Republicans don't actually want to deal with the opioid crisis because it is ravaging rural areas and it keeps that social class in the same position.

Also it can be used to direct animus at people of color especially Hispanics that they claim are bringing drugs into the country.

Keep the rural shmucks mad, alone and miserable.

I don't think there's room in the electoral market for Booker and Gillibrand to run against each other. They fill the same niche, and both would block the other from winning if they stayed in for the long-run. I think one of them will be effectively pressured out by the invisible primary.
I think Booker is solid VP fodder provided there's not some nuclear scandal waiting to blow up.

I agree but at the same time idk how beneficial that would be even if we managed to get an ID to everyone in the country if polling locations continue to be tactically closed down.

Oh it's not the only thing I'd do. I'd make a new Voting Rights Act that passed vote-by-mail and expanded the election from a single day to a week or two, minimum.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Didn't they say the other day that they wouldn't?

He probably watched some news about his "briefing" that asked why this wasn't declared. SO now they are exploring how to do it while giving themselves more power. Clearly they are focused on enforcement and not prevention. And certainly not on anything anti-drug companies.

Blader

I think Booker is solid VP fodder provided there's not some nuclear scandal waiting to blow up.

Not sure I agree. To me, the choice of running mate boils down to two things: that they have strong relationships on the Hill (ideally with both parties) and that they can shore up the left flank (assuming the nominee at the top of the ticket isn't Bernie). I think Booker is okay on the former, but the wrong choice for the latter.

Given that criteria, I think Gillibrand or Brown would be good choices for VP. They've got Senate relationships they can lean on, they can reach across to blue-collar rural voters, Gillibrand has become strongly progressive since her days as a blue dog in the House and Brown especially can rely on some Bernie backing.

kirblar

Not sure I agree. To me, the choice of running mate boils down to two things: that they have strong relationships on the Hill (ideally with both parties) and that they can shore up the left flank (assuming the nominee at the top of the ticket isn't Bernie). I think Booker is okay on the former, but the wrong choice for the latter.

Given that criteria, I think Gillibrand or Brown would be good choices for VP. They've got Senate relationships they can lean on, they can reach across to blue-collar rural voters, Gillibrand has become strongly progressive since her days as a blue dog in the House and Brown especially can rely on some Bernie backing.
Just pick Biden again! :)

Kloubachar lacks the x factor. Her speaking style makes me want to take afternoon naps.
It's also possible spending her time in Minnesota, despite the lack of an "x" factor that gets coastal liberals excited she has a better pulse on how to appeal to the rust belt voters that Hillary did poorly with than Harris or Gillibrand. But that's just speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom