• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slizeezyc

Actually, I'm a dummy.

Bernie/Kander, obviously. :p

More seriously, at least Warren is both a woman, and has a decent amount of experience. And something like "she persisted" would be rally and campaign ad fodder for the Dems.

Sure, but it's about minimising the their impact, and showing how ignorant they (and the GOP) are. Easier to do when you have someone with a lot more experience.

I mean Kamala Harris is gonna be running for president, so I don't really see the logic here still.

Pixieking

Banned
I mean Kamala Harris is gonna be running for president, so I don't really see the logic here still.

Mmmm... I suppose. I didn't think of her running. She gets beaten in the Primary and Bernie takes her on as VP. I still think her lack of experience will work against her, but eh.

Nina Turner

Dammit, I keep on reading this as Tina Turner, and thinking "That name's out of left-field... wth?" :D

Slizeezyc

It would just mean if the President got taken out for whatever reason, it would jump to the House Speaker

The Pelosi dream lives on in this scenario!

Would Republicans rather have Obama over evil Pelosi in this scenario, or does Pelosi let them win more seats because she's an evil vampire and thus they'd be cool with it?

@EricLiptonNYT
Interior IG confirms it's investigating Sec Ryan Zinke's apparent (failed) effort to pressure Sen Murkowski to vote yes on Obamacare repeal

DH4KfzfW0AIck9Q.jpg

Blader

Mmmm... I suppose. I didn't think of her running. She gets beaten in the Primary and Bernie takes her on as VP. I still think her lack of experience will work against her, but eh.

If Kamala announces she's running in 2019, then she will be no less experienced than Obama was when he announced in 2007.

I don't know if you're joking or not about Hillary on the target, but speaking as someone who was strongly in favor of Hillary through the primary to Election Day, I think putting her on the ticket is an awful idea. She lost. She lost against the most unpopular presidential nominee in decades on the grounds that she is Hillary Clinton. It sucks, but the country --- not most, but enough -- has settled the matter about whether they want Hillary Clinton in the White House: they fucking do not.

Slizeezyc

If Kamala announces she's running in 2019, then she will be no less experienced than Obama was when he announced in 2007.

I don't know if you're joking or not about Hillary on the target, but speaking as someone who was strongly in favor of Hillary through the primary to Election Day, I think putting her on the ticket is an absolutely awful idea. She lost. She lost against the most popular presidential nominee in decades on the grounds that she is Hillary Clinton. It sucks, but the country --- not most, but enough -- has settled the matter about whether they want Hillary Clinton in the White House: they fucking do not.

4V01V.gif

Wilsongt

This feeling of not wanting to see or hear a thing Trump says must be the way the radical right felt for the last eight years with Obama, except I can articulate why I don't want to listen to him.

pigeon

Banned
Frankly, all the people saying that all that matters is winning should be overjoyed at the thought of Bernie running again. If anybody is the 2020 front runner it's him.

I don't want him to because I still don't think he's competent. But maybe he can be taught in the next four years.

Pixieking

Banned

I don't know if you're joking or not about Hillary on the target, but speaking as someone who was strongly in favor of Hillary through the primary to Election Day, I think putting her on the ticket is an absolutely awful idea. She lost. She lost against the most popular presidential nominee in decades on the grounds that she is Hillary Clinton. It sucks, but the country --- not most, but enough -- has settled the matter about whether they want Hillary Clinton in the White House: they fucking do not.

Half-joking, half-not, which is why I'm arguing it, but not strongly. :) I totally get why it's a bad idea, but we're currently debating Bernie winning the Primary in 2020, which I think would be both divisive - partly because he already ran, lost, and fucked-up conceding - and stupid, because at 79 at the start of his term, I just think that's too old. Trump's mental agility is (and has been for awhile) declining, and he's younger. I think that's going to make people gun-shy about an even older guy being President.

pigeon

Banned
Half-joking, half-not, which is why I'm arguing it, but not strongly. :) I totally get why it's a bad idea, but we're currently debating Bernie winning the Primary in 2020, which I think would be both divisive - partly because he already ran, lost, and fucked-up conceding - and stupid, because at 79 at the start of his term, I just think that's too old. Trump's mental agility is (and has been for awhile) declining, and he's younger. I think that's going to make people gun-shy about an even older guy being President.

Those were both really good reasons for Hillary not to run in 2016.

Tarydax

Banned
Hillary would be an awful VP choice, especially for Bernie. The ads practically write themselves. Harris, Klobuchar, or some other younger candidate would be better.

Pixieking

Banned
Those were both really good reasons for Hillary not to run in 2016.

If memory serves, she got behind Obama pretty solidly in 2008? I may be wrong on that front. And with regards to the age, there's a difference between being old and running, and being old and running after Trump has been shown to be mentally incompetent. WaPo ran an Opinion piece on his mental health yesterday, and the whole staring at the sun thing just hammers home how bad his mental abilities are. A fucking 10 year old doesn't do that, so Trump has less intelligence and impulse control than a 10 year old.

If memory serves, she got behind Obama pretty solidly in 2008? I may be wrong on that front. And with regards to the age, there's a difference between being old and running, and being old and running after Trump has been shown to be mentally incompetent. WaPo ran an Opinion piece on his mental health yesterday, and the whole staring at the sun thing just hammers home how bad his mental abilities are. A fucking 10 year old doesn't do that, so Trump has less intelligence and impulse control than a 10 year old.
#NotAll10YearOlds

Valhelm

contribute something
"We're proud of our history" is such a grotesque dogwhistle when you consider the events of the past couple weeks

Blader

I have the worst typos

Pixieking said:

I don't think Bernie should run in 2020 for a number of reasons, I'm just saying if he were to run and win the nomination, there are far better choices for running mate. :p I would personally be pulling for Kamala or Gillibrand on the ticket, but that's probably because I'd want them as president in the first place!

Frankly, all the people saying that all that matters is winning should be overjoyed at the thought of Bernie running again. If anybody is the 2020 front runner it's him.

Wait a minute! You were chewing me out for saying Bernie was the 2020 frontrunner weeks ago!

Trump is also a dumbass, eats junk food, doesn't exercise and has huge ego/narcism issues. Biggest concern being his inability to grasp what a lie is. It's not apples to apples comparison when you compare him to a 79 year old Bernie. Someone mentioned Jimmy Carter a while back. He's what, 94? And stands 8 hours a day in the sun building houses. I'd take Carter over the buffoon in white house any day. He's all there.

Pixieking

Banned
I don't think Bernie should run in 2020 for a number of reasons, I'm just saying if he were to run and win the nomination, there are far better choices for running mate. :p I would personally be pulling for Kamala or Gillibrand on the ticket, but that's probably because I'd want them as president in the first place!

Yeah, I suppose my point is, bad ideas are all relative, because to me Bernie running is a bad idea. So, if there's an argument that "Bernie running is good, but Hillary as VP is bad", it's like, haaaaaaang oooooooonnnnn a minute. :D

Trump is also a dumbass, eats junk food, doesn't exercise and has huge ego/narcism issues. Biggest concern being his inability to grasp what a lie is. It's not apples to apples comparison when you compare him to a 79 year old Bernie. Someone mentioned Jimmy Carter a while back. He's what, 94? And stands 8 hours a day in the sun building houses. I'd take Carter over the buffoon in white house any day. He's all there.

See, I absolutely agree with you. I just don't think a small-but-sizable portion of the electorate would care about such nuance.

Yeah Bernie is still sharp as a tack. You don't have to like his approach to things but he clearly isn't suffering mentally for his age. Just because you're old doesn't mean you're senile.

Same with Biden. Not saying age is an issue but Trump's mental deterioration isn't something every old candidate is going to have, it just needs to be decided on a case-by-case basis.

It would just mean if the President got taken out for whatever reason, it would jump to the House Speaker

It seems clear to me that in the event the Supreme Court okayed Obama as VP then there would be no problem with him assuming the Presidency upon a vacancy in the office. The 22nd Amendment prevents someone from being elected more than twice but it says nothing about assuming the office.

If memory serves, she got behind Obama pretty solidly in 2008? I may be wrong on that front.

She got solidly behind Obama after she conceded, but it took her a long time to do so, even after it was clear that she had no shot at the nomination. The primary itself was a very bitterly fought contest, and a vocal group of her supporters, calling themselves the PUMAs (officially "People United Means Action" unofficially "Party Unity My Ass") refused to support Obama's candidacy.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
You can tell they are left open carry because of the kifeyahs and other various neck-cessories.

Fake edit: Remember when Rachel ray had an alleged kiffeyah on in a Dunkin' Donuts ad? lol

Pixieking

Banned
She got solidly behind Obama after she conceded, but it took her a long time to do so, even after it was clear that she had no shot at the nomination. The primary itself was a very bitterly fought contest, and a vocal group of her supporters, calling themselves the PUMAs (officially "People United Means Action" unofficially "Party Unity My Ass") refused to support Obama's candidacy.

Ah, fair. My memory ain't the best. :)

Ogodei

It seems clear to me that in the event the Supreme Court okayed Obama as VP then there would be no problem with him assuming the Presidency upon a vacancy in the office. The 22nd Amendment prevents someone from being elected more than twice but it says nothing about assuming the office.

I feel like that could open a banana republic loophole where everyone keeps nominating El Presidente as their Vice President and resigning the office as soon as they assumed power.

I don't want him to because I still don't think he's competent. But maybe he can be taught in the next four years.
Same.

I don't see anyone who can beat him in Iowa/NH right now.. and while there's a lot to go after that, generally candidates who win both the first two states win pretty much every time. Honestly, I think Bernie may have built the mometum needed to win had he pulled out Iowa last time.

But if anyone wants to win this going forward they need to come out and prove they want it. Sanders is putting in the work and nobody else really is. Franken sort of was during the cabinet hearings but has gone quite. Dems who want to win going forward need to do more then they are currently doing because it'll be hard to beat Bernie in a primary given how much the early voting favors him (which is ironic because he complained so much about the order of the states last time even though it would be hard to set it up any better for him if he tried)

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
And she fucking caved to rightwing lunatics. Rachel Ray sucks.
it was just generic houndstooth scarf wasn't it?

When I visited Vietnam my friend bought a VC style scarf for his 3 year old daughter. I was like bro you are going to trigger a vet. :/

The same PUMA offshoot was HillaryIs44, which weirdly enough became pro-McCain and pro-GOP after Obama was elected (dont go to the website, its pro-Trump now lol).

Well maybe not so weird after 2016.

kirblar

Yeah Bernie is still sharp as a tack. You don't have to like his approach to things but he clearly isn't suffering mentally for his age. Just because you're old doesn't mean you're senile.

Same with Biden. Not saying age is an issue but Trump's mental deterioration isn't something every old candidate is going to have, it just needs to be decided on a case-by-case basis.
The problem is that their health and mental capacities can and will decline in severe, unexpected fashion. You cannot predict when this will happen, only that you know that it will.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

I mean I think they're both fine now.
But how certain are you that they're going to be fine 9 years from now, halfway through their second terms?
Are you more than like...70% sure?

Valhelm

contribute something
Bernie is old as hell and really not an ideal candidate. If he runs then I'll vote for him, but we need leftist candidates who aren't pushing 80.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom