• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem (and pyrrhic victory danger) lied/lies in 2020 being a redistricting year.

A GOP wave that year would have been a disaster (and somewhat likely after 12 years of D presidents)

Right. And even if we don't reclaim the House next year, the governors' map is BRUTAL for the GOP because they did so well in 2010 and 2014. Those races matter immensely for redistricting.

Zolo

As someone on Twitter just said, if Senate really didn't want this passed, they could just put a poison pill in it. They aren't doing that.

They were always just looking for a reason to pass it on. Now they look ridiculous if they vote on a bill they said they didn't like that just passes through the House.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
The best case scenario would be for the Senate to find some small thing to chagne, that they can really trump up to the base but is ultimately meaningless.

Sadly, since the law isn't just for show and a lot of it was pretty carefully designed, there doesn't seem to be such a thing. And especially not something they can agree on, with the GOP is looking less like a unified party and more like a weak coalition by the day (And they really don't want to shatter that unified party image and stop voting on party lines, since it would really tank them)

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I think at some point the Rethuglicans have to know SKINNY will kill everything and they'll get blamed for it. I mean, can you say, "We repealed Obamacare!" if you didn't and now you are known for shitty obamacare?

Can someone explain to me what the Republicans who aren't hardcore conservatives even want in a healthcare plan? They want essential benefits but no individual mandate (how is that going to work)? They want lower premiums but they also want to lower taxes (how is this going to be paid for)? They want to rollback medicaid but somehow increase access (where is this access going to come from)? Am I missing something here or do these pieces still not fucking make any sense at all?

Zolo

What does he even want from Ryan?

Unless this is the game. There's nothing Ryan can say, so it'll never get a vote and they'll get to blame Ryan for not giving them what they want. That could be possible.

I'll be content if they vote 'no' and blame Ryan for not giving proper assurances.

kirblar

Can someone explain to me what the Republicans who aren't hardcore conservatives even want in a healthcare plan? They want essential benefits but no individual mandate (how is that going to work)? They want lower premiums but they also want to lower taxes (how is this going to be paid for)? They want to rollback medicaid but somehow increase access (where is this access going to come from)? Am I missing something here or do these pieces still not fucking make any sense at all?
They want a unicorn. And their representatives won't tell them no.

Does he want a signed notarized statement?

I mean, it'd help if Ryan's statement didn't try to throw firebombs at the Senate the whole time. He even mentions that the House succeeded in passing a bill that was good, which is absolutely insane and contrary to literally every statement from every person asked about that specific bill. Other than literally shitting on a piece of paper, I struggle to think of a worse statement he could've made.

We just want to be able to debate the bill!

We just want a conference!

We just want the President to be able to choose whether to sign it or not!

We just want the public to wait for the benefits of the skinny repeal to kick in!

We just want you to vote for us so we can give healthcare another shot!

I'll be content if they vote 'no' and blame Ryan for not giving proper assurances.

Ryan's a pretty good target to blame if this collapses, especially with his half ass statement

I'd much rather they find someone to blame for this failing, rather than finding someone to blame when everything catches on fire

They want a unicorn. And their representatives won't tell them no.
it's going to be really sad when this all falls apart
We just want to be able to debate the bill!

We just want a conference!

We just want the President to be able to choose whether to sign it or not!

We just want the public to wait for the benefits of the skinny repeal to kick in!

We just want you to vote for us so we can give healthcare another shot!
Yeah, wtf is this shit. You're there, you have the majority, the president will rubberstamp literally anything that appears on his desk, even if it's singlepayer with free condoms for nine year olds, so just pass the thing you said you were going to pass already or admit you have no ideas. Goddamn.

Gruco

Banned
Man, Mooch can't even trust reporters when talking on the record. Next thing you know, you guys will be telling me that Carter Page was betrayed by all of his close personal friends at the FBI.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Mooch being the leaker makes total sense now, he is projecting and Priebus was probably unto him.

https://www.cassidy.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/PFA Bill Text.pdf

That's a good example of a moderate Republican plan.

Blader

They wish they could go back in time 10 years and propose the ACA as their healthcare plan before Obama could put his name on it.

So Mooch's story is he just wanted to vent and decided to call a fucking reporter to give an on the record interview? Then it's the reporters fault for then reporting on the interview? What am I missing here besides the cocaine?

Slizeezyc

They wish they could go back in time 10 years and propose the ACA as their healthcare plan before Obama could put his name on it.

Pretty much this. Romney gave them a chance, and they goofed. Now there's too many other factions within the party to find any winning solution when they've already crapped on the one they'd have more or less put forth because they tainted it with the name Obamacare and won elections by stunting on it.

Zolo

So Mooch's story is he just wanted to vent and decided to call a fucking reporter to give an on the record interview? Then it's the reporters fault for then reporting on the interview? What am I missing here besides the cocaine?

From what I can tell, he didn't want it on record, but didn't say so. The reporter he called was the one that reported on the meeting. Seems he tried to throw his weight around.

Edit: Nvm. I was wrong.

https://www.cassidy.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/PFA Bill Text.pdf

That's a good example of a moderate Republican plan.
Right, that was what I was referencing in my post. They're gonna cut taxes and cut medicaid and then they're gonna agent orange the individual mandate so that even less people are in the markets than there are. This seems like a one way ticket to making premiums worse than they are. If it's just for the tax cuts, I can understand, but wasn't this dead in the water too? It's been half a month since this was announced.

THE REPUBLICANS DID PROPOSE IT
LET ME SHOW YOU WHO PROPOSED IT
mitt%20waves.jpg

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Trump winning was the best thing for the Democrats. He is tarnishing the GOP brand. They look incompetent at governing.
No. Best thing for democrats would have been a Hillary win. Worst thing for republicans and best thing for democrats is not the same thing.

kirblar

No. Best thing for democrats would have been a Hillary win. Worst thing for republicans and best thing for democrats is not the same thing.
The pendulum is swinging harder and faster and this trend doesn't appear to be reversing. Polarization is a problem, especially when it's primarily one side going fucking crazy.

Best thing, for the country, would've been a D sweep last year. People behave rationally*, associate Trump with his party, roundly reject them both. D/D/D government, we get the Supreme Court seat, we pick up a ton of state/local races.

For the Democrats, as a political party, independent of the national welfare... a Trump win is looking like a pretty significant victory. Politics is a zero-sum game with the Republicans. If they're weakened, we're strengthened, basically by default. It also seems to have kicked Democratic leadership into something resembling competence for the first time in ages while hugely energizing the base of the party. This is leading to us looking at maybe taking back the federal and local seats we need to run the table after the 2020 census, which will be enormously consequential.

*People do not behave rationally. They don't behave close to rationally.

Kusagari

The best actual outcome would have probably been someone like Jeb or Kasich winning and then banking on make gains in 2018 and then taking both houses and the presidency in 2020.

Losing the presidency and both houses in 2020 would have been an unmitigated disaster. And it almost certainly would have happened with Hillary.

PBY

Banned
I really think polarization is one symptom of economic inequality.

We never really discuss inequality here - and it's the thing that terrifies me most for the future. It isn't sustainable.

A properly, fairly drawn House map would go a long way in mitigating polarization, I think.

Polarization might not even be the right thing to call it; that refers to deepening ideological consistency. There's very little that's "consistent" about the GOP. It's more basic tribalism that'd be toned down, which would hugely reduce partisanship no question.

I really think polarization is one symptom of economic inequality.

We never really discuss inequality here - and it's the thing that terrifies me most for the future. It isn't sustainable.

You gotta stop saying things like this if you want people to stop dunking on you. Partisanship, polarization, etc. doesn't present at all along economic lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom