• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The real sad news is that this health care debacle is overshadowing the fact that Hulu got the rights to all Family Matters episodes and will be putting them up in late September. Now that's something the country can unite around.

The real sad news is that this health care debacle is overshadowing the fact that Hulu got the rights to all Family Matters episodes and will be putting them up in late September. Now that's something the country can unite around.

Republicans crash the market and say, "Did I do that?"

PBY

Banned
You gotta stop saying things like this if you want people to stop dunking on you. Partisanship, polarization, etc. doesn't present at all along economic lines.
There's a lot of data out there to the contrary.

It still needs a lot more research, but it isn't a novel concept.

So you just dunked on yourself?

I really think polarization is one symptom of economic inequality.

We never really discuss inequality here - and it's the thing that terrifies me most for the future. It isn't sustainable.
what is there to talk about
tax more and provide more services to people

Ogodei

As someone on Twitter just said, if Senate really didn't want this passed, they could just put a poison pill in it. They aren't doing that.

the poison pill is the fact that it doesn't defund planned parenthood or abortion-providing insurance plans.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
They are really trying to make this as long as possible so that eventually they all just vote yes so they can stop talking about it.

There's a lot of data out there to the contrary.

It still needs a lot more research, but it isn't a novel concept.

So you just dunked on yourself?

It's not at all a novel concept, but it's still a stupid one. It's the same goddamn "economic anxiety" argument but with more words.

Every bit of data I've seen indicates that most polarization happens around social issues, but if you have citations I'd read 'em.

Zolo

I can practically see the vote for the bill being 45 'yes's with the remaining senators still discussing which way they're going to vote. Seriously though, why doesn't McCain just vote 'no' if they want SOMEONE to do it?

Edit: And he did vote it! YES!

Sure, but it has to be more comprehensive. Financial regulation and anti-trust laws need severe work.

Which is exactly what the Democrats are adding to their platform for 2018

I can practically see the vote for the bill being 45 'yes's with the remaining senators still discussing which way they're going to vote. Seriously though, why doesn't McCain just vote 'no' if they want SOMEONE to do it?

That's probably where it's at, yea. Probably low/mids 40s

broz0rs

They wish they could go back in time 10 years and propose the ACA as their healthcare plan before Obama could put his name on it.

That's what I feel is all about as well. Our country would probably be in a better place if ACA was called Romneycare. It's just so sad and pathetic.

Now the current strategy with McConnell telling fellow GOP Senators that Ryan won't rubber stamp skinny repeal in the House and will die there is just pure fuckery.

Kusagari

So you've got Graham and friends running around like cartoon characters as we expect a vote from a bunch of geriatrics at 3 in the morning.

What could possibly go wrong?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Ryan assured Johnson it will go to conference. Probably what this is about.

thefro

So you've got Graham and friends running around like cartoon characters as we expect a vote from a bunch of geriatrics at 3 in the morning.

What could possibly go wrong?

Bernie writes "Skinny Repeal" on the top of his single-payer amendment and switches it with McConnell's amendment

Zyae

He can do whatever he wants. But it doesn't appear to have the votes in the house, as-is.

I have a feeling we're looking at this thing continuing on into the autumn.

Freedom Caucus will cave. They are all up for reelection next year(the house). They would rather run on the platform of "Repealing" than not doing anything.

Ogodei

He can do whatever he wants. But it doesn't appear to have the votes in the house, as-is.

I have a feeling we're looking at this thing continuing on into the autumn.

that's what encourages me, Meadows will save us even if Ryan won't.

They still need to produce a Reconciliation-compliant Skinny Repeal.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
The house should pass its own skinny repeal and send that to the Senate. But only if the senate promises not to vote on it!

Checkmate Mitch McCuckle

royalan

Republicans are happy

Because they get to vote Yes

On a bill that they're hoping won't actually pass.

Our government is irreparably broken. Like, how do we come back from this?

I don't know how you can remain so optimistic.

I appreciate it though.

Well, on two separate occasions the HFC has said they are nos on this and it's enough to kill it. They don't want to cover abortions/planned parenthood. That's pretty obvious, as it's always been their stance on anything. Unless this blocks abortion funding they're not voting on it. I mean, people can not believe them, but abortion funding is a line the HFC doesn't cross, so they seem to actually mean it.

So with that stuff out of the way, they can't hammer out a bill everyone agrees on in 3 days (they haven't been able to do so in 6 months), so this'll wait until after recess (which starts Monday). But after recess they have to make sure the world economy doesn't explode, so it'll still be a little after that.

This bill is in a really weird place. Normally, a bill moving along like this would mean it's well on its way to passing. Except every single step along the way the bill is hard rebooted and every person who touches this ends up pushing it off to some other group to handle. It's never actually had any real progress other than moving through the system. Here we are at the last steps for a normal bill, and no actual bill exists. That's not a particularly good place for a bill to be, despite technically being at the last stage before the president.

Nobody wants to pass this. Nobody wants to kill it. So it just chugs along awkwardly floating around chambers, as we've seen. After 6 months they have nothing but a hollow bill that doesn't even qualify as a repeal and doesn't do anything but explode the healthcare industry, while they take the full blame.

Freedom Caucus will cave. They are all up for reelection next year(the house). They would rather run on the platform of "Repealing" than not doing anything.

They'll get hit much harder on abortion funding than not repealing Obamacare. They won't cave. Never have this entire process when it came to abortion funding. Removing it was a non-starter for them.

Zolo

Republicans are happy

Because they get to vote Yes

On a bill that they're hoping won't actually pass.

Our government is irreparably broken. Like, how do we come back from this?

Happy isn't exactly the correct term. They're trying to find out how to shift the blame.

Happy isn't exactly the correct term. They're trying to find out how to shift the blame.
They don't care if they sink the economy as long as they don't catch the blame for it.

Hey fucking idiots, your party controls both houses of Congress and the presidency. If one of you goes down the whole ship is going with it.

Barzul

I almost want skinny repeal to pass. Almost. It's the option that maintains the most of the Obamacare framework. And the GOP would own it.

I have zero confidence. Zero that when the house enters the picture we won't get an even worse bill than the AHCA. They're nuts in the HFC.

I almost want skinny repeal to pass. Almost. It's the option that maintains the most of the Obamacare framework. And the GOP would own it.

I have zero confidence. Zero that when the house enters the picture we won't get an even worse bill than the AHCA. They're nuts in the HFC.

Skinny basically destroys ACA. The market would implode pretty much overnight. I actually feel like the CBO estimation is a bit too conservative.

So then a worse bill than the AHCA passes committee and the CBO score comes out and it's 50 million without insurance and rates increasing 400% and then we're right back to square 1 in the senate.

Barzul

What was the last major bill to go to conference, ACA?

Skinny basically destroys ACA. The market would implode pretty much overnight. I actually feel like the CBO estimation is a bit too conservative.

Which is why I'm on almost. The cost is ultimately too high. I just want that party to actual take on the responsibility the should have for consistently fucking over our economy. It annoys me to no end that they're trusted more than Democrats when it comes to the economy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom