• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.
The pain of "skinny" passing is probably the best possible hope for removing Republicans from power ASAP and getting closer to single-payer.

It's going to hurt a lot but this abscess of Republican 'leadership' is going to have to be carved open and flushed at some point. Suffering is the only way to wake the country up from apathy.

PBY

Banned
The pain of "skinny" passing is probably the best possible hope for removing Republicans from power ASAP and getting closer to single-payer.

It's going to hurt a lot but this abscess of Republican 'leadership' is going to have to be carved open and flushed at some point. Suffering is the only way to wake the country up from apathy.

We're anarchy gaf now

Barzul

Scanning it briefly the medical device tax isn't mentioned at all. PP (1 year), Employer mandate (till 2025) and Individual mandate all struck.

Edit: Looks like I read the bit about abortions wrong....it looks like it's indefinite?

2nd Edit: Nope it's only one year.

Don't you see? This is their play.

They can say "we wanted to get rid of Planned Parenthood but we couldn't because of the dastardly Byrd Act" and it dies.

What was the last major bill to go to conference, ACA?

Which is why I'm on almost. The cost is ultimately too high. I just want that party to actual take on the responsibility the should have for consistently fucking over our economy. It annoys me to no end that they're trusted more than Democrats when it comes to the economy.

Our country in general is dumb as hell and they have short attention spans. Rivals goldfish.

We're anarchy gaf now

At some point if things get bad enough, what's wrong with letting a little anarchy spark up to match the anarchy of our current branches of government?

But, I see this a lot on message boards. People smacking others down for just venting when they know they can do nothing.

I guess I'm of the opinion that if stuff were to really really boil over it'll be sudden and without warning. In the meantime, I say let people vent.

With all due respect, it's pretty fucking shitty to tell all the people losing health insurance today their suffering is necessary to "wake the country from apathy." This is a human tragedy, not a political football.

Blader

How do they keep inserting this PP language into the bill

How many times does it have to be said that that requires 60 votes?!

Paul McLeod‏Verified account @pdmcleod 3m3 minutes ago

Uh this is not a skinny repeal bill. The changes to the waivers here are huge.
4 replies 55 retweets 34 likes
Paul McLeod‏Verified account @pdmcleod 2m2 minutes ago

This bill lets states open the door to pre-existing condition discrimination.
1 reply 36 retweets 13 likes
Paul McLeod‏Verified account @pdmcleod 1m1 minute ago

Again this is NOT a skinny bill. This is a plan. Cuts individual mandate, cuts Planned Parenthood, cuts Obamacare regulations.
3 replies 60 retweets 37 likes

Paul McLeod‏Verified account @pdmcleod

We just got a ton of pronouncements that this won’t pass but this bill is CLEARLY designed to pass the House. Freedom Caucus would support.
7:06 PM - 27 Jul 2017

wtf?

Barzul

The planned parenthood provision makes no sense. Doesn't that run counter to Byrd? Unless McConnell overules? Or does this caveat insulate them?

(iii) provides for abortions, other than
9 an abortion—
10 (I) if the pregnancy is the result
11 of an act of rape or incest; or
12 (II) in the case where a woman
13 suffers from a physical disorder, phys-
14 ical injury, or physical illness that
15 would, as certified by a physician,
16 place the woman in danger of death
17 unless an abortion is performed, in-
18 cluding a life-endangering physical
19 condition caused by or arising from
20 the pregnancy itself; and

Zolo

The Planned Parenthood defunding MUST have 60 votes. This is their way of ducking responsibility. I've been wrong before but this seems like the play.

"Those damn democrats and that obscure rule they used to stop us from repealing and replacing Obamacare! Make sure to vote Republican to get above 60 votes next election!"

I hope this is where this is going.

CNN reporting McCain is still a no.

Maverick hope.

Not really.

Though it would be delicious if he was the one to tank the bill.

pigeon

Banned
Fun note, because of our work situation my family is actually on an individual market plan, although my wife's work pays for it.

If this passes we could definitely lose our insurance or have it seriously downgraded.

We both have a bunch of preexisting conditions and ongoing medication needs, so that would be, like, sad.

"Those damn democrats and that obscure rule they used to stop us from repealing and replacing Obamacare! Make sure to vote Republican to get above 60 votes next election!"

I hope this is where this is going.

This is it exactly. It's their one possible option, more pointing fingers.

Slizeezyc

CNN reporting McCain is still a no.

tumblr_oji598zNrc1r1ult6o1_500.gif

With all due respect, it's pretty fucking shitty to tell all the people losing health insurance today their suffering is necessary to "wake the country from apathy." This is a human tragedy, not a political football.

With all due respect, my wife and I have preexisting conditions that nearly bankrupted us before ACA and I don't need some person on a message board telling me what this means. We know what it means to decide whether or not to buy groceries or medicine.

The average American is either too stupid or too disinvolved to recognize how poisonous the GOP leadership is. Maybe they'll have an epiphany when the boot is put to their necks and they start to lose things that matter to them personally.

sangreal

So they literally blew all this time on something that will likely again need 60 votes.

HOW ARE THEY THIS BAD?

Byrd rule violations dont make the whole thing require 60 votes, just whatever provisions are found in violation after a point of order is raised

pigeon

Banned
But if it defunds PP and apparently has other things in it that have been ruled as not meeting reconciliation, it won't get past the Senate.

PP defunding passed the parliamentarian in 2015.

Maybe they think they can get it passed.

Or maybe they plan to just steamroll the parliamentarian.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom