• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Election Day 2008 Thread of A New Dawn in America (OBAMA ELECT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flo_Evans

woohoo! 3 hours later Obama+1 in Missouri! Come on show me state, show me you are not all mouth breathing hicks and vote!

Interesting as I was leaving the polls about 20 cop cars with lights going drove past the line... I don't want to jump to conclusions and claim voter suppression, but it was awful strange. A local cop did just get killed though so maybe they where on their way to join the funeral precession...

Anyway woohooo let do this America!!! :D :D :D

Fatalah said:
From an middle class suburb in Queens, NY.

I woke up without my alarm going off today. My brain uninterrupted a dream I was having, and my eyes shot open at 6:50am.

Outside the fog was thick-- it felt like I was still dreaming.

Took the car with my mom and brother to my old elementary school. My dad already voted on an absentee ballot. The area was buzzing with people and cars whizzing around. I walked into my old gym, bumped into my best friend and his family. I waited on line for about 7 minutes and got into the booth. I took a moment to look at my choices listed on the machine. I took an even longer moment to touch Obama's name before I twisted the switch by his name. I pulled the lever and left the booth. By then line had increased to 20 people. The place was buzzing more than usual, and that's exactly what I wanted to see.

I took the LIRR to Manhattan, got on another line for my free Starbucks "I voted" coffee. At work, everyone told their story. Astoria, huge line. Upper Manhattan huge line. Rockville Centre, Long Island busy polling center.

Today, people are voting. People are absolutely voting. And it's wonderful to see.

+4 Obama in NY

Same story here.

Go New York Go New York Go.

:D

segarr

Speevy said:
I know this is an annoying question, but where and when will the first leaked exit polls be posted?

I'm...so....anxious...

F the haters, Exit Polls are my blood for today. If they are close, I'll take them with a grain of salt, but I would assume that blow-outs for either candidate are going to be legit, right?

Cyan

Banned
Awesome thread title!

Massive hopium overload last night and this morning. I don't know if I'll get any work done.

Fatalah

From an middle class suburb in Queens, NY.

I woke up without my alarm going off today. My brain uninterrupted a dream I was having, and my eyes shot open at 6:50am.

Outside the fog was thick-- it felt like I was still dreaming.

Took the car with my mom and brother to my old elementary school. My dad already voted on an absentee ballot. The area was buzzing with people and cars whizzing around. I walked into my old gym, bumped into my best friend and his family. I waited on line for about 7 minutes and got into the booth. I took a moment to look at my choices listed on the machine. I took an even longer moment to touch Obama's name before I twisted the switch by his name. I pulled the lever and left the booth. By then line had increased to 20 people. The place was buzzing more than usual, and that's exactly what I wanted to see.

I took the LIRR to Manhattan, got on another line for my free Starbucks "I voted" coffee. At work, everyone told their story. Astoria, huge line. Upper Manhattan huge line. Rockville Centre, Long Island busy polling center.

Today, people are voting. People are absolutely voting. And it's wonderful to see.

+4 Obama in NY.

Son of Godzilla said:
Voting stations are run by idiotic old people who don't know how to use computers and the computers don't work right anyway.
Average of poll workers: 72 (in '04, we can only hope it's lower this year)

Son of Godzilla said:
Oh and the districting is the height of asshole gerrymandering forcing people into far too crowded polling stations.
Gerrymandering has nothing to do with the number of people in a polling station.

Meier

GaimeGuy said:
Update:

Okay, I got a copy of my lease, and I went back to the polling place, and the eleciton judge said that wasn't an acceptable proof of residence, either.

So much for the wonderful same-day registration BULLSHIT we have here.
When I re-registered in Chicago, a copy of my lease was fine... I can't imagine why it wouldn't be, frankly. I brought my utilities bill along with my voter registration and driver's license today though to be on the safe side (FL license).

I am surprised there are places that let you register to vote today though... I thought it was a federal thing that made it necessary early last month. Must have just been a state policy.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
GaimeGuy said:
Update:

Okay, I got a copy of my lease, and I went back to the polling place, and the eleciton judge said that wasn't an acceptable proof of residence, either. She said I needed a utility bill from within the last 30 days to prove my residency.

Well, guess what? The utility bills are all in the name of one of my fucking roommates, so I can't prove that I live in the building two fucking blocks away according to her.

My parents are driving out here to pick me up. They'll take me to the place I currently AM registered to vote at.

So much for the wonderful same-day registration BULLSHIT we have here.
in this day and age it is so easy to fake an apartment lease this is unfortunately not that hard to believe. I am guessing you are a little younger though, because after about 2-3 times you start to realize that you should have SOME solid proof that you live where you say you do. especially if living with roommates in a situation where if, heaven forbid, things went bad you have something to back up you living there.

Jim

ZeroTolerance said:
Good man. Which borough though and how was demographic ? Even though I know O will carry this state.

Long Island (Nassau). It was pretty empty at 9:30am, only a dozen people or so. We are lucky to have a local BOCES school within walking distance, somewhat within a development, so very quick and convenient.

Demo pretty much all over the place in terms of age, mostly white. Straight up suburban middle class. Tiny sample though.

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
Roude Leiw said:
us elections are so exciting, a lot more than in my country :lol
We haven't even gotten to the "Potential 1st Lady Vaseline Wrestling Match" yet.

I've got 50 bucks on Michelle on InTrade.

Meier

SephCast said:
I work in Chicago. I'll be at the rally.

Hopped off the train to go to work, listened to the "Yes We Can" song while walking the streets of Chicago. It's going to be a great day.
My girlfriend and I are going. :) Can't wait!

folks on MSNBC starting up the THIS IS A CENTER-RIGHT NATION talking points again

I love how when Democrats might have a majority, all of a sudden it's "NO NO NO, STAY TO THE CENTER!!", when 6 years ago no one gave a shit about centrism then

Zeliard

Cyan said:
Awesome thread title!

Massive hopium overload last night and this morning. I don't know if I'll get any work done.

I took the day off today. Fuck that. No way I'd be able to do any work.

syllogism

p1030443247.jpg

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
syllogism said:
http://xs233.xs.to/xs233/08452/p1030443247.jpg[img][/QUOTE]
This really makes me want a Palin hentai. This "Naylin' Palin" shit is awful.

Cush

Haven't posted here yet but I've been lurking for at least 12 months now. Thanks PoliGAF for all the good times, especially the laughs! My story just outside Boston:

Obama-Biden
John Kerry
No on 1 (voted to not eliminate the income tax)
Yes on 2 (voted to decriminalize possession of < 1 oz of marijuana)
Yes on 3 (voted to eliminate greyhound racing)

Took about an hour and a quarter to vote. I'd say 1/3 to 1/2 of the people in line were in their 20s or early 30s.

The line was funny - it was just like an amusement park where you wait in this long line and then you get inside and you think you're almost there and there's this huge snaky line inside. :)

Squirrel Killer said:
Gerrymandering has nothing to do with the number of people in a polling station.

Yes it does. It's not uncommon for cities to have 3-4 districts per polling station. Put enough people of the same demographic in a district and you can reliably predict when they show up to vote, and how crowded it will be. After that it's simple negligence.

ZeroTolerance

Jim said:
Long Island (Nassau). It was pretty empty at 9:30am, only a dozen people or so. We are lucky to have a local BOCES school within walking distance, somewhat within a development, so very quick and convenient.

Demo pretty much all over the place in terms of age, mostly white. Straight up suburban middle class. Tiny sample though.

Thanks for responding. I live in the city right next to LI (Rosedale).:D

Barrett2

GaimeGuy said:
Minnesota

Here are Minnesota's voter eligibility laws, print this out and go fight for your fucking right to vote!

A person may vote in Minnesota on election day if the person:

is at least 18 years old on election day;
is a citizen of the United States;
will have resided in Minnesota for at least 20 days immediately preceding election day;
is not under a court-ordered guardianship in which the right to vote has been revoked; and
is not considered legally incompetent to vote, as determined by a court.
A person who has been convicted of a felony may vote only if the felony sentence has expired or has been discharged by a court.

What identification is required to cast a ballot on election day in Minnesota?

Voters who have previously registered to vote in Minnesota, either by mail or by registering at the polling place on a previous election day, are required to state their name to the appropriate election judge and sign a polling place roster. The election judge may ask voters to confirm their address and/or date of birth.

By signing the polling place roster, voters confirm their eligibility to vote and their understanding of the penalty for providing false information. The eligibility requirements and penalties for false information are written on each roster page.

Voters who have not previously registered to vote using their current Minnesota address may register at the polling place on election day. To register, voters must complete an application, make an oath, and prove their residence. To prove residence, a voter must present one of the following:

A valid Minnesota driver’s license, learner’s permit, Minnesota identification card, or a receipt for one of these documents, provided that the document presented contains a valid current address in the precinct
A valid registration in the precinct under a different name or address
A notice of late registration sent to the voter from the county auditor or municipal clerk
A tribal identification card issued by the government of a tribe recognized by the Bureau of Indian Affairs that contains the name, address, signature, and picture of the voter
A Minnesota driver’s license, identification card, U.S. passport, U.S. military identification card, tribal identification card that contains the voter’s signature, or Minnesota postsecondary institution identification card, along with a bill that contains the voter’s current address in the precinct, dated within 30 days before or after the election. The following types of bills meet this requirement: electric, gas, water, solid waste, sewer, telephone, television, and Internet. Instead of a utility bill, a voter may present a rent statement from the voter’s landlord if it contains itemized utility expenses, or a student fee statement that contains the student voter’s valid address in the precinct.
Another voter who is registered to vote in the precinct, or who is employed by a residential facility in the precinct and vouching for a resident in the facility, who knows that the registering voter is a resident of the precinct and who will vouch for that fact
A current student identification card with a photo, if the college or university has provided a student housing list to the appropriate election officials. Historically, student housing lists have been provided by most major public and private four-year colleges and universities in the state.

Son of Godzilla said:
Yes it does. It's not uncommon for cities to have 3-4 districts per polling station. Put enough people of the same demographic in a district and you can reliably predict when they show up to vote, and how crowded it will be. After that it's simple negligence.
Define gerrymandering. Please.

EDIT: Nevermind. See this post for what I'm driving at.

Bulla564

Banned
HOLY SHIT

This is already the longest day.

I'm supposed to be going to work right about... 20 minutes ago... but I'm jumpy from Hopium and low sugar levels. I'm shaky.

My day at work:

12pm - Limbaugh radio show
3pm- Hannity/Randi rhodes radio shows
6pm- MSNBC/Poligaf
7pm-10pm- Fox stream/GAFmirc/Poligaf
10pm- Stewart/Colbert special

CAN'tWAIT

Fatalah

People from Red counties--- are you noticing a depression at polling centers? I've heard stories from people who voted in traditionally red areas LI and NJ that it's not busy at all.

The more people report, the clearer the picture will be.

Son of Godzilla said:
Gerrymandering is about fitting the same number of people in to districts. What you're describing is a misallocation of polling stations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom