• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Election Day 2008 Thread of A New Dawn in America (OBAMA ELECT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GhaleonEB

Okay, this got to me. via Andrew Sullivan's blog. Note the guy on the left.

dcvotingbrendansmialowskigetty.jpg

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Jim said:
Long Island (Nassau). It was pretty empty at 9:30am, only a dozen people or so. We are lucky to have a local BOCES school within walking distance, somewhat within a development, so very quick and convenient.

Demo pretty much all over the place in terms of age, mostly white. Straight up suburban middle class. Tiny sample though.

My experience was the same thing (in a small Suffolk town). Pretty empty, in and out... mostly older white upper middle class people.

Sharp

Odrion said:
+1 for Wisconsin!
This isn't totally related to PoliGAF but I just want to throw this out there: you guys are awesome and the Wisconsin accent is one of the greatest things ever to grace this country.

GhaleonEB said:
Okay, this got to me. via Andrew Sullivan's blog. Note the guy on the left.

I was struck by the student turnout anecdote.

Those who are wondering if the youth will turn out ought to see what I saw this morning.

One well-known government professor here told me that she has never seen so many students vote in the first hour of voting as she saw this morning. And I've never seen so many students up and alert at this hour. They're normally stumbling out of bed to make it to their 10 a.m. courses. Today, the campus has been buzzing for hours this morning. It appears that many of them decided to go to the polls as groups of twos, threes, fours and more when the polls opened at 7 a.m. The number of students I saw by 8 a.m. walking around with "I voted" stickers on is astonishing.

At breakfast, I sat next to a table of four black students, all of whom had voted. The three men were wearing ties. I asked them why. The answer: It was their first election, and they wanted to mark the occasion.

Fatalah said:
People from Red counties--- are you noticing a depression at polling centers? I've heard stories from people who voted in traditionally red areas LI and NJ that it's not busy at all.

The more people report, the clearer the picture will be.

Actually it's just the opposite in Sumter county, SC, lines around the school, very republican precinct

syllogism said:
Politico says exit polls are "quarantined" until 5pm et, so perhaps this time there won't be any leaks
Something to keep in mind, although with the education Nate's been doling out on polling, perhaps this needn't be mention, is that exit polls are quarantined for a reason. They're raw data. Raw data != correct data. It still needs to be worked into various models and weighted and have its lipstick put on.

Acid08 said:
They didn't even check ID's at my polling place. Is that weird?

It was an ACORN Precinct!

Damn it. beaten.

I've never shown ID in the past when I go vote. I think they are supposed to check in most states but a lot of times they don't.

ultron87

I feel discriminated for having voted absentee this year. All you people voting at the polls get a nice shiny "I Voted!" sticker to show just how much you love democracy. I get no such thing, and clearly everyone must think I'm a commie.

I demand equal rights for absentee voters!

ColdDeckEd said:
+4 (me, my brother, and my two cousins) for Obama in Florida.

Yes we can! I'm starting to feel the hopium OD coming on.

Also, voted NO on Amend 2. Marry and fuck whoever you want. I don't give a shit.

Cyan

Banned
ultron87 said:
I feel discriminated for having voted absentee this year. All you people voting at the polls get a nice shiny "I Voted!" sticker to show just how much you love democracy. I get no such thing, and clearly everyone must think I'm a commie.

I demand equal rights for absentee voters!
You still get a sticker here in Cali. Where you at?

Father_Brain said:
Some guy in SA's Obama megathread bought it in a Japanese convenience store. Don't know any more than that.
Found it. :lol

6r66f8.jpg

if6bg3.jpg

2le4du1.jpg

WTF. I guess that's what they think American politics is like. :lol

GhaleonEB

BenjaminBirdie said:
I was struck by the student turnout anecdote.
Yeah. I think I'm going to be reduced to an emotional blubbering wreak by the end of the day, reading the stories and seeing those kind of pictures.

Dartastic

Holy shit. Today's the day. I get free coffee at Starbucks! Whoo!!!!! And if there was a Chick-Fil-A around me, I'd get a free sandwich! I also can get a free donut from Krispy Kreme! Woo! Voting is awesome!

Seth C

I have great early news about voter turnout. As of 10:30 my precinct in Lexington had already seen 40% turnout. We realistically may hit 80% today The gentleman working said he had never seen anything like it in this neighborhood.

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
Dax01 said:
Screw your article. Chuck Todd already told me what's what.
!!!!!!

Your outright rejection of my post makes me unruly...but your casual mention of Todd has my loins in a frenzy.

the eNeME said:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/nick53182/Hungry%20for%20Politics/BurgerCain.jpg
[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/nick53182/Hungry%20for%20Politics/McBama.jpg
[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/nick53182/Hungry%20for%20Politics/nadercompany.jpg

(I was going to make this its own thread, but I've been sitting here awaiting aproval for months...)[/QUOTE]
Your avatar, fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom