• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Election Day 2008 Thread of A New Dawn in America (OBAMA ELECT)

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol @ Sarah Palin saying she won't tell her vote because of her "right to privacy"

GUESS WHICH SUPREME COURT DECISION TALKS ABOUT HAVING A RIGHT TO PRIVACY EH

California

+1 Obama
+1 NO on 4
+1 NO on 8

And of course the first day all year it really starts raining in San Diego is the day of the election. But I endured that shit, brotha!

Some more stories, though keep in mind that the enthusiasm gap, and the blog reader gap, mean that these are coming primarily from Obama supporters, primarily from Obama counties, and that everyone is influenced by the expectation of an Obama win.

Alexandria:

I live in bluest part of Blue NoVA, Alexandria City. In 2004, my polling place went 80-20 for Kerry. 2,886 votes were cast in that election. I got in a long line in the dark this morning at 5:55am, I was voter number 2,531.

Colorado:

I voted early here in Colorado, which was a fairy uneventful experience. But my canvassing for Obama did turn up some interested scenes -- the highlight being the ACORN workers who were all living in a home together and were absolutely floored that I was VOLUNTEERING for Obama and not getting paid! To quote the one Marlboro red smoking, heavily tattooed lady "I love Obama, but I'm not doing shit without some money!" By the end of our conversation, all I could think was 'Thank god these women never found their way in front of a television camera.'

Lubbock:

I voted this morning in Lubbock, Texas, a town that was disappointed to be named only the second most conservative city in America. I thought there would be lines -- for the primary, there was a long line and a long wait. But this morning, there was no line at all, no wait at all, only one of 15 voting machines was in use. We are using a "super precinct" for voting this time -- instead of voting at a specific assigned voting place, voters can go to any of a large number of locations in town. My four-year-old daughter and I voted at an elementary school in our neighborhood. I can't decide if the apparently low turnout is because with a 70/30 Rep/Dem split, there's no point in anyone voting here, or because the Republicans are depressed.

Harlem:

I'm a 37 year old African American woman. I grew up in Harlem and have lived here most of my life. In the 20 years I've been voting at the same polling place, I've never had to stand in line. Usually there were more election workers than voters. Today is the day that changed. There were about 100 people waiting in line. Most of them were young, old and even older African Americans.

I overheard a conversation one woman was having with a mother pushing her son in a stroller. The mother mentioned she told her son she would be voting for the first black president. His response was, "I want to be a black president too!" The other woman and I laughed. It was not a laugh that ridiculed or dismissed the moment, but a laugh of amazement and delight of the infinite possibilities Barack Obama's candidacy represents to the young people in the African American community.

Northern New Jersey:

My father, a lifelong Republican, voted for his first Democrat for president this morning. He falls under the category of "racists for Obama" … his first act after voting was to call me in his worst stereotypical black voice and ask "I voted for Obama, now where do I pick up my free bucket of chicken?" Strange guy. Anyway, his reason for voting Obama was simple -- how much worse can he be than the guys I've been voting for all these years? It shocked me he voted Obama as he'd normally fall under the "McCain is good for Israel so I'm voting for McCain" crowd.

Chester County, PA:

It's very passionate here. Many of the residents are former Delawarians and tend to run more Democratic. But the majority of residents are life long locals, and they are very Republican. It was the first time I had fun going to the polling place. We vote in a church...and normally, the mood is quite reserved. This morning you could spot the Obama voters - we were laughing and chatting and smiling. Still, it did seem that the majority of early AM voters were voting McCain - or maybe Republicans unhappily voting for Obama? Who knows - but the difference in their mood was obvious. Grim, quiet, lots of hostile looks shot at the happy Obama voters. It is so obviously polarized here! The turnout was about 3-4X normal according to one of the poll workers, but certainly not overwhelming just yet.

Sharp

TomServo said:
That'd be awesome.

America's been ruined for damn near half a century now.
Yes, half a century ago Nixon was elected and ever since people like you have lost hope in the electoral system. I hope you're joking because that's probably the worst reason I can think of to vote for any candidate.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Just voted about an hour and a half ago. Took half an hour to get through the line. And check this -- photographic evidence, bitches!

ff09f7a89299.jpg

+1 Obama in Ohio!

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
What frontlines was she on? The mayor in Wasilla didn't have much control from what I've read.

Welp, I just got home.
The traffic is crazy right now for 9am in Denver.
There were people with Obama signs on EVERY corner (not joking every last one) and lots of people honking for support. It's cold today but i don't think it will rain.
I was the only person there when I pulled up, I was hoping to see a line actually. They double checked my info in the computer to make sure it was all ok, then I got my Collector's edition of Resistance 2 and headed back.
+1 obama mail-in last week
GO TIME!!!!!

OmniGamer

Cloudy said:
Elisabeth Hasselback is such a tool. Meltdown total :lol

:lol :lol Yeah, you can smell the desperation...she is clinging to the Rev. Wright thing for dear life...she's insane...like a pull string doll of talking points that never shuts up. Nothing ever has context in her small head. I hope she get served a fresh hot plate of STFU tomorrow!

Grug

Evlar said:
WTF? Just say you voted for McCain and yourself. Say it. SAY IT.

She probably didn't. Ballot was too confusing for her, she just drew a picture of a Caribou and handed it in.

Sharp said:
Yes, half a century ago Nixon was elected and ever since people like you have lost hope in the electoral system. I hope you're joking because that's probably the worst reason I can think of to vote for any candidate.

Stop "discussing" with TomServo. He was never going to vote for Obama.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
she wants to leave, but everytime someone talks to her she stops... You'll never leave will you!!!?

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
soul creator said:
lol @ Sarah Palin saying she won't tell her vote because of her "right to privacy"

GUESS WHICH SUPREME COURT DECISION TALKS ABOUT HAVING A RIGHT TO PRIVACY EH

wait, did she really do that? Did she really not reveal her vote because of her "right to privacy"? That couldn't have happened, could it?

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
polyh3dron said:
Every second Palin stays on the mic she loses another vote for her running mate.

SO STUPID.
God I wish I could be watching whatever it is you people are watching.

Internet stream anywhere?

Duke Togo

Stoney Mason said:
Get it right. It's knock over the magazine rack.
What if there is a table in the way? Now I have to flip a table (preferably covered in food and drink), and knock over a magazine rack!

camineet

Banned
Just got back from taking 3 more Obama supporters to vote :D

I checked Foxnews.com to see this

110408_elections5.jpg

what kind of message are they trying to send here?

Shiggie

Watching that interview... "bitch gone rouge son" came to mind. :lol

Her husband? was telling her to leave but I guess she wanted to gaff it up.:lol

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom