• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Election Day 2008 Thread of A New Dawn in America (OBAMA ELECT)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Beq said:
About Palin's clothes... What does everyone expect, her to make a run to Goody's or JC Penney for clothes? 150k is a lot of money, but its a presidential election, she needs good clothes. Look at Obama's 600 million spent on the election so far.

Yeah, but he's the president.

:D

Iksenpets said:
Won't even let her talk? Damn, that's rough. Not that she doesn't deserve it. McCain's gotta be embarrassed over her.

Losing VPs, historically, do not EVER talk. It's a ridiculous request.

Anyway.

*finally exhales*

It's finally dawning, for real, in the morning light. We did it, bro.

Now the real fun starts.

America just got First Draft Pick.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Beq said:
About Palin's clothes... What does everyone expect, her to make a run to Goody's or JC Penney for clothes? 150k is a lot of money, but its a presidential election, she needs good clothes. Look at Obama's 600 million spent on the election so far.
Obama owns three suits. THREE. He's had them for YEARS. His wife Michelle, is known to go on shows like The View and promote dresses she bought for around $100.

esbern

Beq said:

...did you miss the todd palin part or something?

Xenon

--“McCain himself rarely spoke to Palin during the campaign, and aides kept him in the dark about the details of her spending on clothes because they were sure he would be offended. Palin asked to speak along with McCain at his Arizona concession speech Tuesday night, but campaign strategist Steve Schmidt vetoed the request.”

A very wise move.

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
Watching McCain's concession speech.

He's coming off as darth vader.

Congratulations for overcoming me Luke... but there's one thing you must know... I'm your father... and your victory redeems me.

*gasps and dies*.

Beq

Neo Member
I am just saying that the issue was blown out of proportion. There were bigger issues to be addressed rather than money spent on clothes.

jiggle

Beq said:
I am just saying that the issue was blown out of proportion. There were bigger issues to be addressed rather than money spent on clothes.

Not when she's toting the "hockey mom" "joe six pack" schtick.

And this is but one look into what kind of person she really is, and whether we'd want her as (possible) commander in chief.

FnordChan

I realize it's not a completely done deal, but I am so astonishingly stoked that Obama is likely to take NC in the final count that I can't even adequately express myself. What an astonishing night. I'm going to go off and be incredibly happy now.

FnordChan

:lol

Fucking speaking of which!!!

The debates unnerved both candidates. When he was preparing for them during the Democratic primaries, Obama was recorded saying, "I don't consider this to be a good format for me, which makes me more cautious. I often find myself trapped by the questions and thinking to myself, 'You know, this is a stupid question, but let me … answer it.' So when Brian Williams is asking me about what's a personal thing that you've done [that's green], and I say, you know, 'Well, I planted a bunch of trees.' And he says, 'I'm talking about personal.' What I'm thinking in my head is, 'Well, the truth is, Brian, we can't solve global warming because I f---ing changed light bulbs in my house. It's because of something collective'."

camineet

Banned
Slurpy said:
Holy shit- first time I visit Hannity's homepage.

What a fucking narcissist.

21cdnib.jpg

Man I HATE Sean Hannity. I'm not even a lefty. I used to be a righty.
Now I'm a 'Obama Republican', like the "Reagan Democrats" of the 80s.

Anyway, Sean makes me sick. No wonder Christian conservatives
have a bad name. Arghhh. I hope Obama makes it so Hannity loses
his radio show, drives him from the airwaves.

Sean is worse than O'Reily IMO.

thefro

GhaleonEB said:
Wait, so Stevens, Coleman and Smith won?

Fuck. I was hoping at least Franken would pull it out. :(

Supposedly a lot of early votes out in Alaska (Anchorage) and Oregon isn't even close to done counting yet.

Franken/Coleman will probably be a recount after the provisional ballots get counted.

And a ton of early votes haven't been counted in Georgia, so the Senate race there is likely going to be a run-off (edit: Atlanta Journal-Constitution's numbers have the R already under 50%, which would force a runoff).

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
Leonsito said:
Good job America, it seems that my country is again a friend and a allied :D

Zapatero is happy.

Hahaha... pretty much for any administration on any country on earth that wants to stay in the good graces of their people will be cheering Obama and America on tonight.

God... this is so epic. So much of humanity, not just America united behind this guy. Ah, man he needs to drum it home the whole; "We've got epic challenges" line... and it was good; he started at his concession speech. "Maybe not in a year, or even in a term."

But we'll get there.

camineet

Banned
I heard Obama is supposed to give a press conference in a day or so, probably Thursday.
I heard it on a radio show, don't hold me to it.

greepoman

Beq said:

Well I think it was indicative of the last 8 years in general...spending so much money unnecesarily. She could've easily gotten designers to GIVE HER CLOTHES FOR FREE.

GhaleonEB

thefro said:
Supposedly a lot of early votes out in Alaska (Anchorage) and Oregon isn't even close to done counting yet.

Franken/Coleman will probably be a recount after the provisional ballots get counted.

And a ton of early votes haven't been counted in Georgia, so the Senate race there is likely going to be a run-off (edit: Atlanta Journal-Constitution's numbers have the R already under 50%, which would force a runoff).
Yeah, I just caught up and saw there's going to be an automatic recount. And provisionals aren't in yet? There's some hope.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Sir Fragula said:
Ahh 5/11 - the most memorable act of religious terrorism in English history.

Oh come on, the movie wasn't that bad.

woeds

Good morning GAF! Life is good.

Question, when does run-off voting occur (and what is it exactly?) Franken is down by about 700 votes according to CNN's tally. A margin that small must warrant some kind of recount, right?

AniHawk

woeds said:
Good morning GAF! Life is good.

Question, when does run-off voting occur (and what is it exactly?) Franken is down by about 700 votes according to CNN's tally. A margin that small must warrant some kind of recount, right?

There's an automatic recount in a race this close, yes.

a good result in indeed...although it took much of the US population alot of nudging to vote in this direction.

Obama, seems the most focused though...people ARE expecting too much... foreign policy is going to be interesting. He is talking up the US leadership in the global community... I think we have had enough of that. His assertion of talking to all sides is definitely a step forward though.

Personally I had no doubt he would win. Interested to see how he moves things from here on out. Its also a good time to put the food down on some of the big business interests groups. Some areas are looking a little vulnerable right now...

Kipe

BenjaminBirdie said:
Newsweek has their frankly stunning Election Project.

http://www.newsweek.com/id/167581

TONS of details they've been sitting on for months.

According to two knowledgeable sources, a vast majority of the clothes were bought by a wealthy donor, who was shocked when he got the bill. Palin also used low-level staffers to buy some of the clothes on their credit cards. The McCain campaign found out last week when the aides sought reimbursement. One aide estimated that she spent "tens of thousands" more than the reported $150,000, and that $20,000 to $40,000 went to buy clothes for her husband. Some articles of clothing have apparently been lost. An angry aide characterized the shopping spree as "Wasilla hillbillies looting Neiman Marcus from coast to coast," and said the truth will eventually come out when the Republican Party audits its books.

:lol :lol :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom