• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Election Day 2008 Thread of A New Dawn in America (OBAMA ELECT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barrett2

Drek said:
You can have clean coal.

The problem with coal is that you have variable sulfur content. Higher sulfur is obviously worse for the environment. That is basically the only level to which it is regulated however.

Interestingly in this country much of the high sulfur coal we burnt for decades comes from the beltway, states like Illinois. Low sulfur coal comes from the west, states like Wyoming.

So what most coal burning plants did to meet new "environmentally friendly" regulations was to simply buy all their coal from the western mining companies. There is still plenty of coal in the ground throughout the beltway, it just has a higher sulfur level.

How does this connect with the concept of clean coal? Well air scrubbers were developed decades ago and are even more refined today that can clean the expelled air of not just sulfur impurities but many other environmental hazards as well. They aren't required as long as a plant just runs low sulfur coal though so the majority of the industry is unwilling to invest in truly clean coal technology.

This is one of the biggest reasons I'm a strong Obama supporter. His energy policy includes this, rewarding companies who invest in going green (like clean coal). It will lead to improved and refined technology that improves effectiveness and reduces cost. Applying this attitude across the board can only help this country.

Thats interesting stuff about the sulfur content. I have been meaning to learn more about the energy industry, I even bought that book, The Prize, but haven't read it yet. Someday. :lol

Chipopo

Banned
joey_z said:
I don't understand why it's alright for GAF to be a bit of a dick to people that they actually have conversations with on this message board, but not alright to make a harmless joke against Obama. Where is this moral boundary and philosophical argument come from? He's going to be an amazing leader and I'm sure he's a great guy, but surely he shouldn't be exempt from general GAF jokes.

people are defensive because his grandma just died. don't sweat it.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
joey_z said:
I don't understand why it's alright for GAF to be a bit of a dick to people that they actually have conversations with on this message board, but not alright to make a harmless joke against Obama. Where is this moral boundary and philosophical argument come from? He's going to be an amazing leader and I'm sure he's a great guy, but surely he shouldn't be exempt from general GAF jokes.

Remind me to make fun of you when your grandma dies. I'm sure you will be a good sport about it.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
These health insurance companies are gonna be running scared with an Obama presidency. He's gonna kick the shit out of them.:lol

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
What the fuck did I just watch...David Gregory and Mika Tardface let two republican shills just spew for 10 minutes

Arde5643

He is definitely more emotional in his regular stump speech right now - different than how he was usually.

I like it because I get to hear more emotion from him, just sad of the reason why he's getting emotional now. :/

laserbeam

Banned
SpeedingUptoStop said:
These health insurance companies are gonna be running scared with an Obama presidency. He's gonna kick the shit out of them.:lol

:lol :lol
Obama is gonna go running scared when Corporate America comes knocking on the White House door .

The Last president who tried to take on Corporate America/Industrial Complex found Dallas to not be a very nice city to visit with top down.

Barrett2

SpeedingUptoStop said:

Good. I am taking an Insurance Law class this semester, and after reading hundreds of insurance litigation cases, I am disgusted at this industry. It really is designed to completely and utterly screw people more than any other major industry I am aware of.

SpeedingUptoStop said:

Good riddance. It's time for the US to join the rest of the world, dragging bankers and insurance pricks kicking and screaming if necessary.

reilo said:
Wait, what? How did I miss this?

1103b_mainchart.png

Holy fucking sheeeeeit?

Nate's final prediction compared to the final results will be EPIC.

laserbeam said:
Obama is gonna go running scared when Corporate America comes knocking on the White House door .

The Last president who tried to take on Corporate America/Industrial Complex found Dallas to not be a very nice city to visit with top down.
HOLY SHIT DUDE.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Y2Kev said:
What the fuck did I just watch...David Gregory and Mika Tardface let two republican shills just spew for 10 minutes
Are you telling me, that David Fricking Gregory, has no balls to question any of his guests on the bullshit they spew?

HOW DARE YOU SIR, HOW DARE YOU?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
reilo said:
Are you telling me, that David Fricking Gregory, has no balls to question any of his guests on the bullshit they spew?

HOW DARE YOU SIR, HOW DARE YOU?
If they give that retard MTP they might as well call it Shit on the Press.

I don't think JFK was killed for taking on Corporate America (he was most likely killed as retaliation over the bay of pigs disaster). But I'd agree Corporate America doesn't run scared from anyone. Obama won't change that

joey_z

Banned
Captain Pants said:
Remind me to make fun of you when your grandma dies. I'm sure you will be a good sport about it.

I don't know you. Why would I mind? It would only make sense to be pissed off if someone close to you makes fun of your grief. Otherwise the internet was created for people to say random things.

laserbeam said:

WTF? Did I just accidentally stumble on the freeper board?

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
laserbeam said:

See you in six months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom