• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of cunning stunts and desperate punts

Status
Not open for further replies.

dionysus

Yaldog
Jason's Ultimatum said:
O Reilly says there was 20% more revenue under Bush than Clinton, according to his statistics. Anyone have an actual source for this?

EDIT-Because this says otherwise:

fed-rev-spend-2008-boc-C2-Government-Spending-Grew-Faster.gif

The US economy has grown by 19% during Bush's presidency, maybe that is the source but the phrasing is wrong. By the way, that beats the European economy pretty handily.

He used the wrong word by using revenue though, as I trust a graph from the Heritage foundation.

jmdajr

Jason's Ultimatum said:
O Reilly says there was 20% more revenue under Bush than Clinton, according to his statistics. Anyone have an actual source for this?

So is Bill not counting inflation then? Where did you get this chart?

tanod

when is my burrito
devilhawk said:
The funniest part is that Biden and Obama both voted for the "Bridge to Nowhere" (H.R. 3058). McCain was not present for the vote.

But they're not campaigning on a platform and record of supposedly eliminating pork.

Huzah

Jason's Ultimatum said:

Seems about right. Oreilly isn't the master of facts, he just trys to sound like he is. Maybe's he's trying to account for tax raises/tax cuts some how.

Well I did find this, but it doesn't say anything about more revenue under Bush than Clinton:

Tax revenue grew by $625 billion between 2003 and 2006 according to the Congressional Budget Office. However, what BillO neglects to mention is that revenues would have been even higher if Bush had not cut taxes. Obama then gets BillO to admit that statistics are bull.

http://www.cbo.gov/ftpdocs/81xx/doc8116/05-18-TaxRevenues.pdf

http://www.factcheck.org/taxes/supply-side_spin.html

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2008/9/8/21752/80718

federal%20revenue%20bar%20chart(1).jpg

EDIT-

773102.gif

Does the blue line represent revenue earned?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
jey_16 said:
Personally, I'm not buying that the Palin pick came to down to a last minute "chaotic scramble" anymore. The Palin move is very much in the vein of modern Republican party strategy to dissemble and misdirect. McCain had been showing through much of the past couple of years that he was willing to adopt that strategy in order to get the party's support for his presidential campaign. So I think the narrative that he wanted someone like Liebermann or Ridge, got vetoed in favor of Romney and then decided to be a 'maverick' by spitting in the faces of party leadership and selecting Palin...makes no sense. If he was being a maverick, why not just go with one of his original choices to do that?

dionysus

Yaldog
You're assuming there isn't an inverse link between taxes and economic growth, which there is (even though it is one of many many factors.) So it is unclear that no tax cuts would have brought in higher revenue as economic growth might have been smaller.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
kaching said:
Personally, I'm not buying that the Palin pick came to down to a last minute "chaotic scramble" anymore. The Palin move is very much in the vein of modern Republican party strategy to dissemble and misdirect. McCain had been showing through much of the past couple of years that he was willing to adopt that strategy in order to get the party's support for his presidential campaign. So I think the narrative that he wanted someone like Liebermann or Ridge, got vetoed in favor of Romney and then decided to be a 'maverick' by spitting in the faces of party leadership and selecting Palin...makes no sense. If he was being a maverick, why not just go with one of his original choices to do that?
but if his goal was to be a 'maverick' and spit in the face of party leadership he would've chosen Liebermann.

GhaleonEB said:
Rasmussen is tied again today, was McCain +1 yesterday. (Obama gained a point.)

THAT'S HOW WE DO IT.

WOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOO

*ahem*

MJ was interesting this morning. Talked a lot about how debates can shift the trajectory of a race. So I checked the sked. First one is on Domestic Issues.

Advantage: OBAMA.

gkryhewy

BenjaminBirdie said:
THAT'S HOW WE DO IT.

WOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOO

*ahem*

MJ was interesting this morning. Talked a lot about how debates can shift the trajectory of a race. So I checked the sked. First one is on Domestic Issues.

Advantage: OBAMA.

I tried to watch again. How can you put up with Mika? Jesus christ, she's all over Palin.

AmMortal

Banned
It's kinda messed up how Obama has to say things like the taliban is a threat to the US,while in fact they can barely feed themselves.:lol

rancor

Neo Member
GhaleonEB said:
Rasmussen is tied again today, was McCain +1 yesterday. (Obama gained a point.)

That's a three day tracker right? so I suppose it still has data from a few days back that is more favorable to McCain? Obama will probably move back into the lead in a few days. Their future state polling stuff will be interesting.

rancor

Neo Member
http://www.openleft.com/showDiary.do?diaryId=8089

"U.S. Rep. Ron Paul, runner-up in Montana's Republican presidential caucus last winter, will appear on Montana's November ballot as the presidential nominee of the Constitution Party of Montana, it announced Monday. David Hart of Kalispell, who ran Paul's campaign in Montana, predicted that Paul's candidacy would hurt the other four candidates on the state's presidential ballot, particularly McCain. 'Here in Montana, I think it's pretty much sealed the deal that McCain will not win Montana,' Hart said. 'If he doesn't win, Ron Paul will probably be blamed for it. They only need to look in the mirror and blame themselves for nominating someone who doesn't represent true Republican values and causes like Paul.'"

GhaleonEB

rancor said:
That's a three day tracker right? so I suppose it still has data from a few days back that is more favorable to McCain? Obama will probably move back into the lead in a few days. Their future state polling stuff will be interesting.
Yeah, three-day average. I wouldn't read much into one-day movements actually, but it's an encouraging sign. Let's see where things are at this weekend accross all the trackers.
rancor said:
Oh Ron Paul. You lovable guy you.

gkrykewy said:
I tried to watch again. How can you put up with Mika? Jesus christ, she's all over Palin.

Not really. I don't understand how you guys equate discussion of probable trends ("Hey, working moms might support Palin") into bias. Saying "I think there's something about Palin that appeals to working moms" is NOT the same as saying "I think there's something about Palin that appeals to me, duders."

gkryhewy

BenjaminBirdie said:
Not really. I don't understand how you guys equate discussion of probable trends ("Hey, working moms might support Palin") into bias. Saying "I think there's something about Palin that appeals to working moms" is NOT the same as saying "I think there's something about Palin that appeals to me, duders."

I agree, but she says it as if she's savoring a fine wine. She is genuinely excited.

so_awes

Banned
Record Contradicts Palin's 'Bridge' Claims [wall street journal]

and McCain people replied "oh yeah?? what about Obama's $1billion in earmark spending"

wtf are they talking about??

At a rally today, Sen. McCain again asserted that Sen. Obama has requested nearly a billion in earmarks. In fact, the Illinois senator requested $311 million last year, according to the Associated Press, and none this year. In comparison, Gov. Palin has requested $750 million in her two years as governor -- which the AP says is the largest per-capita request in the nation.

I'm sure it's posted already, but I'm 11 pages behind!

Palin Billed State for Nights Spent at Home; Taxpayers Also Funded Family's Travel

Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin has billed taxpayers for 312 nights spent in her own home during her first 19 months in office, charging a "per diem" allowance intended to cover meals and incidental expenses while traveling on state business.

The governor also has charged the state for travel expenses to take her children on official out-of-town missions. And her husband, Todd, has billed the state for expenses and a daily allowance for trips he makes on official business for his wife.

Palin, who earns $125,000 a year, claimed and received $16,951 as her allowance, which officials say was permitted because her official "duty station" is Juneau, according to an analysis of her travel documents by The Washington Post.

The governor's daughters and husband charged the state $43,490 to travel, and many of the trips were between their house in Wasilla and Juneau, the capital city 600 miles away, the documents show.

Gubernatorial spokeswoman Sharon Leighow said Monday that Palin's expenses are not unusual and that, under state policy, the first family could have claimed per diem expenses for each child taken on official business but has not done so.

More at the link. This woman is corrupt.

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
What the fuck? How the fuck is McCain claiming that Obama has requested a billion in earmarks? This makes me so fucking mad, when is the media going to do its job and call these people the liars that they are?

gkrykewy said:
I agree, but she says it as if she's savoring a fine wine. She is genuinely excited.

I think everyone in the media is as excited as Chuck is about a close race. And Mika can be excited about a woman being the impetus without being over a barrel. I don't know. It doesn't bother me at all. I'm much more bothered by bias when it's backed up by non-stop blathering, like Olbersnooze.

AmMortal

Banned
capslock said:
What the fuck? How the fuck is McCain claiming that Obama has requested a billion in earmarks? This makes me so fucking mad, when is the media going to do its job and call these people the liars that they are?

When Obama stops running for president.

GhaleonEB

Soybean said:
Shit. Obama fundraising not going as well as expected.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/09/us/politics/09donate.html
No one has gotten Obama's numbers right yet. (Literally, every time they predict, it turns out to be wrong.) Let's wait for August numbers next week or so and see how they are.

Obama is pivoting to education today, making a big policy speech on public education. Ties with a new ad:

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0908/Obama_What_Kind.html?showall

"In the past few weeks, my opponent has taken to talking about the need for change and reform in Washington, where he has been part of the scene for about three decades," Obama will say, according to the prepared remarks. "And in those three decades, he has not done one thing to truly improve the quality of public education in our country. Not one real proposal or law or initiative. Nothing."
Intersting pivot; voters trust Obama more on the economy, he probably wants to drive up margins on education as well. Certainly putting more emphasis on his college affordability plans will help even more with college voters.

Soybean

I'm holding a fundraiser at my house on the first debate night, and it's really crazy how few people (even the young ones) opted to donate online along with their RSVP. Most are just making a "pledge" and bringing a check.

WTF? Everyone's stuck in the stone age.

BTW, I encourage people to use my.barackobama.com to set up an event in their community.

The ad is, again, really smart. You see Obama pointing out the 'wacky nutty' movement conservative idea of abolishing the department of education, and twist the no-funding of NCLB to the much more soundbitable "against accountability standards".

Also, in general (thought it could be better worded in this ad) Obama's framing of education as a means of keeping economic competitiveness is a strong one.

The Lamonster said:
far more interesting interview than Olbermann (whom I love but COME ON)

yeah, KO was giving him good questions for Obama to knock out of the park...but no. The man needs to simplify his rhetoric.

Rugasuki

This is an informative article discussing caging among many other tactics the Republicans are using in an attempt to win Ohio.

http://www.freepress.org/departments/display/19/2008/3201

Ten ways the McCain/Palin GOP is now stealing the Ohio vote

The McCain/Palin GOP is already in the process of stealing the Ohio vote, as was done in 2004. Among those at the center of the GOP strategy is Bush Family computer operative Michael Connell, who programmed the key vote counting mechanisms that were used to give George W. Bush his second term.

Except for John Kennedy in 1960, no candidate since 1856 (James Buchanan) has won the White House without carrying the Buckeye State. No Republican has ever done it.

On October 27, 2004, we published "Twelve Ways Bush is Now Stealing the Ohio Vote" at www.FreePress.org. Despite four years of denial by the Democratic Party and the corporate media, all methods mentioned in that article (plus many more) were used in the theft that gave George W. Bush his second term.

Much has now changed in Ohio, including the transition from a Republican Governor (Robert Taft) and Secretary of State (J. Kenneth Blackwell) to Democrats Ted Strickland and Jennifer Brunner. Brunner has made strong public commitments to conducting a fair registration process, an orderly election and a reliable vote count this fall. She is being pushed by the King-Lincoln-Bronzeville federal civil rights lawsuit, filed originally against Blackwell.

To help guarantee an election that truly reflects the will of the voters, Freepress.org will convene a conference on election protection procedures web-cast from Columbus this September 26-8. It will reinforce the positive steps Brunner has taken, and will help train poll workers and judges to safeguard the vote in Ohio and around the nation.

But much of the electoral apparatus remains beyond public control. Serious questions remain about how reliable the final vote count will be, and how much of it the Republican party will cage, confuse and steal in its crusade to put John McCain and Sarah Palin into the White House.

Then they go on to list the 10 methods.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom