• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of cunning stunts and desperate punts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ela Hadrun

Probably plays more games than you
JayDubya said:
You mean like, right now?

I was wondering when the hell Ramadan was, but apparently it's September this year. A few years ago, it was October, and then a few years from now, it'll be August. Don't ask me how it works. *shrug*

JayDubya, no one would ever ask you how Ramadan works.

For the peanut gallery, the Muslim calendar is a twelve-month lunar calendar that therefore slides around the solar year.

Anyway, "fungible."

fungiblefungiblefungible

Edit: HOLY SHIT that ad does NOT pull punches. Nice!

Stoney Mason said:
Just to give some background Stockdale was a POW like Mccain who was treated pretty brutally during the war. It was sort of sad that Perot even picked him and put him in that spot. He was a war hero who obviously wasn't prepared for that sort of bright light and critical examination. He was kind of a national political punchline for a year or so after that before he receded back out of public view.
I usually have little reason or care to quote Dennis Miller, but I've always liked his defense of Stockdale.
Dennis Miller said:
Now I know (Stockdale's name has) become a buzzword in this culture for doddering old man, but let's look at the record, folks. The guy was the first guy in and the last guy out of Vietnam, a war that many Americans, including our present President, did not want to dirty their hands with. The reason he had to turn his hearing aid on at that debate is because those fucking animals knocked his eardrums out when he wouldn't spill his guts. He teaches philosophy at Stanford University, he's a brilliant, sensitive, courageous man. And yet he committed the one unpardonable sin in our culture: he was bad on television.

Hitokage said:
Looking forward to voting for Obama for the second time and having my vote be in a contested election. Gotta do my part to avert the Disasta From Alaska. :D

p.jpg

:D

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Yeah, Ghaleon. One other piece of info and that'll be the smoking gun. With a smoking gun, the real media will care.

I'm not necessarily saying that right now people care-- but it's coming. Soon. She's guilty as sin and it's becoming more and more obvious.

So what's the difference between the hebrew calendar and the Muslim Calendar? I mean, Passover falls roughly within the same time each year, but Ramadan seems to jump all over the place. Does the Muslim calender correct for the solar year?

Iksenpets

Banned
electricpirate said:
So what's the difference between the hebrew calendar and the Muslim Calendar? I mean, Passover falls roughly within the same time each year, but Ramadan seems to jump all over the place. Does the Muslim calender correct for the solar year?

I'm not totally sure, but I think that Passover uses a solar and lunar combination, falling on the first full moon after the vernal equinox, so it's fixed to happening within a month of the vernal equinox, whereas Ramadan is a purely lunar calendar and thus rotates around the year.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
gluv65 said:
So the McCain campaign is going to protect Ms. Palin in the debate

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/21/us/politics/21debate.html?hp

At the insistence of the McCain campaign, the Oct. 2 debate between Gov. Sarah Palin and her Democratic rival, Senator Joseph R. Biden Jr., will have shorter question-and-answer segments than those for the presidential nominees, the advisers said. There will also be much less opportunity for free-wheeling, direct exchanges between the running mates.

McCain advisers said they had been concerned that a loose format could leave Ms. Palin, a relatively inexperienced debater, at a disadvantage and largely on the defensive.

The wrangling was chiefly between the McCain-Palin camp and the nonpartisan Commission on Presidential Debates, which is sponsoring the forums.

WTF?! Can they do that? Isn't this cheating?

JayDubya

Banned
Slurpy said:
Please don't tell me you're Muslim.

No sirree, I'm a WASA. The 'rents and one brother are WASPs, and the family gets together for Easter and Thanksgiving and Christmas. I make 'em when I can. I don't know the first thing about the holidays of other religions.

And it's not frikkin rocket science- the month simply follows the lunar calendar, which advances by a bit every year.

Fair enough. No need to jump down my throat over it, I was simply pointing out to that guy who suggested that at some point in the future, Obama ought do this, that he meant to be saying Obama ought do this now.

All I did was look up the date, and noticed that it changes. I didn't pore into the details.

thekad

Banned
mckmas8808 said:
WTF?! Can they do that? Isn't this cheating?
The Obama camp didn't complain meaning they're not looking for Biden to land haymakers.

REV 09: She won't be found "guilty," but if she was, you can expect the smear campaign to start on Wooten and the trooper.

I doubt the people who think Obama is a muslim even know what ramadan is.

And even if he did, they would say he was lying so he could get into power and destroy america. :lol

effzee

capslock said:
Alright, I've been thinking about this as a Muslim, can't Barry just go on national TV in the middle of Ramadan (now when you're supposed to be fasting from sunup to sundown) and eat a BLT and wash it down with a beer, and finally prove that he's not Muslim?

:lol

he would also need to slice the neck of a Palestinian and rape a woman in hijab.

Cloudy

Banned
thekad said:
The Obama camp didn't complain meaning they're not looking for Biden to land haymakers.

They are ahead, just get out of the VP debates with no OMG SEXIST crap and they'll take it. She's proved her ignorance already...

capslock said:
Alright, I've been thinking about this as a Muslim, can't Barry just go on national TV in the middle of Ramadan (now when you're supposed to be fasting from sunup to sundown) and eat a BLT and wash it down with a beer, and finally prove that he's not Muslim?

No. The same people who think Obama is Muslim express fears because of his crazy Christian pastor who he listened to "for 20 years."

Logic, there is none.

Ela Hadrun

Probably plays more games than you
electricpirate said:

At regular intervals, the Hebrew calendar inserts an additional lunar month (intercalary is the name for it) to keep solstices and equinoxes and so forth roughly in the same places. Muslim law strictly forbids this practice.

Odrion

Banned
capslock said:

Psshed, all he would need to do while subliminially discrediting those Muslim rumors is to create another "Obama and Biden eating some fuckin' waffles" video.

but seriously it's a goddamn shame that our culture forces politicians to say that they aren't a part of Muslim religion instead of saying that "so what if we're a part of Muslim religion."

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
So basically the premise to Palin being an energy expert is based on the lie that Alaska produces to most energy, and that she was governor for 2 years?

That's even worse than saying that George W Bush is an energy expert because he was the governor of Texas, which has vast amounts of diversified energy.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Clevinger said:
That was from yesterday and I doubt it was covered much. I'd like her contradictions and falsehoods to gain attention but I doubt they will.

Guys these things are being covered. Nobody is going to talk about it in depth on TV on a Friday night or Saturday.

This Monday people will talk about it though. Why do you think Palin is losing numbers in her favorable ratings?

Trakdown

mckmas8808 said:
Guys these things are being covered. Nobody is going to talk about it in depth on TV on a Friday night or Saturday.

This Monday people will talk about it though. Why do you think Palin is losing numbers in her favorable ratings?

Monday's going to be epic. Gaffes galore by the McCain campaign.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
teh_pwn said:
So basically the premise to Palin being an energy expert is based on the lie that Alaska produces to most energy, and that she was governor for 2 years?
It's a variation of "She can see Russia next door."

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Cloudy said:
They are ahead, just get out of the VP debates with no OMG SEXIST crap and they'll take it. She's proved her ignorance already...

I bet the McCain camp will know the questions in advance, it's their only guarantee in making sure she doesn't come out as someone who doesn't know shit.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Wow at that Palin answer:

?It's a fungible commodity and they don't flag,you know,the molecules,where it's going and where it's not.But in the sense of the Congress today, they know that there are very,very hungry domestic markets that need that oil first.So, I believe that what Congress is going to do..is not to allow the export bans to such a degree that it's Americans that get stuck to holding the bag without the energy source that is produced here, pumped here.

I personally believe, that U.S. Americans, are unable to do so, because, some, people out there, in our nation dont have maps, and I believe that our education like such as in South Africa, and the Iraq, everywhere like such and, I believe they should, our education over here, in the U.S. should help the U.S. or should help South Africa, and should help the Iraq and Asian countries so we will be able to build up our future, for us.

The debate will be awesome!!!!

Frank the Great said:
No. The same people who think Obama is Muslim express fears because of his crazy Christian pastor who he listened to "for 20 years."

Logic, there is none.

There are just more options to justify your voting against Obama. He can be either a manchurian muslim or black panther christian. You can pick either one to justify your distaste for Obama (or choose both like West Virginians).

teh_pwn

capslock said:
Really tortured, but I think I know what she is getting at, basically that there would have to be export bans put in place before there is additional drilling so that any oil recovered comes to domestic markets first instead of just getting added to the international pool.

Right?

Do we even produce even close enough crude oil to worldwide to have any significant impact on oil prices? I thought the # was like 3% of the world's reserves, but 25% of the world's usage. Sounds like a non-issue to me.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
teh_pwn said:
Do we even produce even close enough crude oil to worldwide to have any significant impact on oil prices? I thought the # was like 3% of the world's reserves, but 25% of the world's usage. Sounds like a non-issue to me.
Short answer: No.

mAcOdIn

capslock said:
Really tortured, but I think I know what she is getting at, basically that there would have to be export bans put in place before there is additional drilling so that any oil recovered comes to domestic markets first instead of just getting added to the international pool.

Right?
Such a dumb idea since if we get the oil ourselves then the oil we would have bought will just end up on the market anyways.

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
teh_pwn said:

Of course, my point was only valid given we accept the flawed premise of drilling affecting anything in the first place.

Xisiqomelir

Hey gang, I know I'm lttp here (internet pokerz lol), but wtf at "fungible molecules"! Donating again as soon as I stop sucking at Razz.

Cloudy

Banned
capslock said:

Right?

Probably but you can tell she's been force-fed this stuff and the answers aren't natural. She's also trying to use big words to seem smart but that just makes her look dumber..

capslock said:

Right?

Nah, I think the question posed to her was actually "will it be ensured that our oil drilled domestically will stay here".. so that nonsensical answer was basically a way to run away from the reality of needing export bans for their stupid strawman argument to even mean anything.

teh_pwn

Cloudy said:
Probably but you can tell she's been force-fed this stuff and the answers aren't natural. She's also trying to use big words to seem smart but that just makes her look dumber..

Considering her background with intelligent design and churches that pray away the gay, I would be surprised if she even knows what a molecule is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom