• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of USA General Elections (DAWN OF THE VEEP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mumei

maynerd said:
Churches and donations will help those people.

I think you actually agree with me on this, but what the hell, I'll say it anyway.

The standard argument against churches and donations being an appropriate source is that churches are prone to withhold support to those who are somehow outside the mores of that religious community. Government is, in theory, less likely to give favorable treatment based on some irrelevant attribute (all things being irrelevant other than need).

Not that they don't have any role to play; I'd just feel better if there were a homeless shelter for runaway youth (or those who were simply kicked out of their home) run through taxpayer money over one run by a religious organization.

JayDubya

Banned
Mumei said:
The standard argument against churches and donations being an appropriate source is that churches are prone to withhold support to those who are somehow outside the mores of that religious community.

a) So?

b) That's an argument against churches, not donations - secular / nondenominational charities.

JayDubya said:
Meanwhile, I find it amazing that some people have apparently learned to stop worrying and love Hobbes's Leviathan.

strawman.jpg

Mumei

JayDubya said:

It is a fairly obvious argument against churches being an appropriate replacement for government instituted welfare.

I understand how it is easy for you not to care; you aren't the 15 year old kid who has been evicted from your home for being gay and doesn't have many options.

b) Secular / nondenominational charities.

If such secular / nondenominational charities received enough money to be effective in that regard, then certainly. If we went with your plan in terms of taxation and dismantling programs, do you think that people would voluntarily give up enough money? Do you think that they would give that money to secular / nondenomination charities?

I don't, but if you have reason to believe so, then I'll go with it.

Gaborn said:

Not really, in fact the median income in the country has increased significantly
(median is more useful than mean because there will always be more outliers at the low end than the high end just because of the nature of the system, yet this shows 50% above and below) in the last 40 years. At the same time, the wealthiest americans HAVE gained money faster, and the poorest quintile have also increased their wealth, though by a lesser amount.

That article you sent me was interesting. Now, I'm not arguing that standards of life have decreased; I know they have increased, most definitely. I was talking about the proportion of the working class to the wealthy class, in terms of how much they earn, period. The article supports both you and I, apparently.

MSNBC (2006) said:
It's true that the wealthy have grabbed up a larger share of the growing economic pie over the past 40 years. Census Bureau stats show that the percentage of pay collected by the middle 60 percent of wage earners dipped to 46 percent in 2005 from 52 percent in both 1965 and 1975. That figure doesn't include income from investments, which would make the gap even larger.

So economic disparity has grown

MSNBC (2006) said:
But the overall pie is much larger too. A near quadrupling of the Gross Domestic Product since 1967 means that today's Americans share $12.5 trillion in wealth, or $41,579 per capita, compared to the $3.8 trillion, or $18,951 per capita, enjoyed by 200 million people back then.

although middle class citizens are doing better than before.

MSNBC (2006) said:
Of course, the super-rich have done even better. When the first edition of the Forbes 400 hit newsstands in 1982, the top-ranked person was shipping magnate Daniel Ludwig, with an estimated net worth of $2 billion. That was about 20,000 times the net worth of Mr. and Mrs. Median at the time. There were only 12 billionaires on the list that year.

The top person on the 2006 edition of the Forbes 400, Microsoft Co-Founder Bill Gates, had a net worth of $53 billion, or 133,741 times the Medians. That means that while Mr. and Mrs. Median have seen their net worth rise 130 percent percent since the first Forbes 400, the richest man in the country is worth 1,225 percent more. Oh, and every member of the list is now a billionaire.

Of course, the CEOs (which is what reminded me of this in the first place) have grown grossly disproportional. (I say this as someone who aims to be the CEO of a large company someday.)

Wouldn't this support my point that the middle class is growing smaller? I mean, in terms of number of people, not in standards of living, purchasing power, and the like.

Banned
FlightOfHeaven said:
I wouldn't say that they are trying to focus the system on them. They are just trying to make things slightly more balanced. A wage earner gives 36%. A capital income earner gives 15%, and that's not counting various methods of legally lowering or avoiding taxation. That's a bit low, numerically. I'd say raising it to 20% or 25% would be re-balancing things.
I wouldn't oppose that legislation, though I believe having a low tax on everything would help everyone involved

FlightOfHeaven said:
I can agree with this sentiment. Too bad there isn't a system where you can opt in or out of these programs, although that could get tricky with things like universal healthcare and the like.
I'm suprised there isn't.

FlightOfHeaven said:
No, wait, it'd be things that the government does not directly control or influence that the taxee has done. Or a mixture of the two? I'm just trying to get what you're coming from.

So, income taxes and capital gains taxes would be gone, since they are based on things created and worked for by the user, but things like sales taxes and gas taxes would stay because... I don't see how the government is involved in the transfer of goods from a company to a person. Perhaps I'm just thick. : (

You don't? A company uses public roads to get goods to where they need to go. Someone needs to pay for it. Have a sales tax. Gas is a necessity that the government regulates for safety and other things. Have a gas tax.

The government is not involved in the contract between the employer/employee

FlightOfHeaven said:
The government is inefficient, sure. But I am inherently wary of all out capitalism, even if I am a big proponent of all the good it brings to the table. Capitalism is out for a profit, not the overall good of a country or a people, which means if a company can increase profits at the expense of a people and can perpetuate that abuse without any drawbacks, then it will.
But what is the overall good for people? People who have jobs are happier than people that don't, and capitalism delivers a ton of jobs.

My friend's dad got shot in the face, blinding him and partially paralyzing him permanently, when she was very young. If it weren't for government help, she would have been in the streets and he would probably be a homeless bum somewhere right not.
You live in a terrible area if there is not one private charity willing to help.

And not all social welfare programs are bad. Even Milton Friedman has said that government should be involved in public health. If the disabled were the only ones using welfare in this country, no one would be pissed.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
To an extent yes. A lot of proponents don't care that they are being taxed, they care about how that money is ultimately used.

Being taxed for a road, for public health, to run the courts, fine. Being taxed to fight wars against people who haven't harmed you. To give aid to people even though you think that isn't the best solution, etc etc... is a problem for a lot of people.

Agreed. For me, the big one there is social security. I'm putting money into a system that probably won't even be around when I would need it. Give me the option of opting out and doing whatever I want with that money.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Macam said:
Isn't this thread supposed to be about the "general election and veepstakes"? Take this Hobbsian crap elsewhere.

Ehh..I think the discussion the last few pages is of a much higher quality than the usual politics discussion that's taken place since Obama clinched. Not that much to talk about.

JayDubya

Banned
Frank the Great said:
I blame the libertarians for hijacking the thread.

Macam just wants to tune in for his regularly scheduled Obama circle jerk hour and it's making him cranky.

Also, if we're talking about out of place "Hobbes crap," you brought him up. :D

Gaborn

FlightOfHeaven said:
I wouldn't say that they are trying to focus the system on them. They are just trying to make things slightly more balanced. A wage earner gives 36%. A capital income earner gives 15%, and that's not counting various methods of legally lowering or avoiding taxation. That's a bit low, numerically. I'd say raising it to 20% or 25% would be re-balancing things.

Why bother? Just tax the different types of income equally and be done with it, but don't have different percentages on income just because of how much you earn.

I can agree with this sentiment. Too bad there isn't a system where you can opt in or out of these programs, although that could get tricky with things like universal healthcare and the like.

It would be better to be able to opt in or out of certain programs, but best of all would be the government returning to it's mandates.

Oh. Thanks for clarifying. So basic mandates (that justify taxation) would be things like public transportation, police force, (in my view!) healthcare, and the like? Things that do not justify taxation would be umm, things not used by the taxee that the government creates, espouses, or employs.

Essentially, yes (and thank you for clarifying that UHC is your view so I don't have to jump on it right now).
No, wait, it'd be things that the government does not directly control or influence that the taxee has done. Or a mixture of the two? I'm just trying to get what you're coming from.

If we have to have a basic level of taxation (rather than things like excise taxes/tariffs in addition to fines and such for law breaking and user fees such as gas tax and even a limited sales tax) then it should be the same for everyone across the board. However, ideally the government should only charge for services they directly perform, yes. That means little to no research funded by the government (though if was reforming the current system that'd be one of my later cuts), no funding for the arts by the federal government, no department of education (because that should be controlled by the states, not the feds), etc. There's a LOT that goes beyond the government's mandate to protect us from threats at home and abroad (and no, that doesn't justifying occupying a country and having foreign military bases), engaging in diplomacy, coining money, enforcing contracts, etc.

So, income taxes and capital gains taxes would be gone, since they are based on things created and worked for by the user, but things like sales taxes and gas taxes would stay because... I don't see how the government is involved in the transfer of goods from a company to a person. Perhaps I'm just thick. : (

The government's involvement is theoretically providing police protection for the product and ensuring that it reached you to be able to purchase it. It's also a user fee so you're not compelled to buy it if you don't wish to, it's not an obligatory charge.

The government is inefficient, sure. But I am inherently wary of all out capitalism, even if I am a big proponent of all the good it brings to the table. Capitalism is out for a profit, not the overall good of a country or a people, which means if a company can increase profits at the expense of a people and can perpetuate that abuse without any drawbacks, then it will.

The more efficiently a company handles a government contract the more money they're likely to earn (most companies put in bonuses for doing a job well faster), and the more likely they are to earn a similar contract for another job down the road. Similarly if they do a poor job there are plenty of companies willing to take over and do the job right. There's no such check on government inefficiency and ineptitude, it's extremely difficult to fire a bureaucrat.
As to your response to maynerd, if I may interject in that conversation, I believe that the problem manifests itself precisely when the differences in wage earning is great. The difference between two people earning 95000 and 99000 may not be much, in terms of taxation, because their salaries allow for them to afford basic necessities (in the U.S. basic necessities are a car, a house, and the ability to provide for yourself and your family). The taxation only cuts into their ability to engage in luxurious spending.

I'm with you so far.

Where as with someone that earns, say, 36000 a year, that 36000 might just barely cover living expenses, with few if any chances for luxury. Someone earning 20000 might not even have enough for living expenses, thus working two jobs to make ends meet. So a flat tax might affect someone earning a lower wage because it'll directly cut into the base amount they need to live.

Well, really, the way it would have to work is an income cut off, say 50k and under no taxes, beyond that you pay the same flat rate. Although I'm not sure that your comment about "luxury" is relevant, people aren't entitled to luxuries afterall.

In this scenario, I must include the following; I have taken into account that the people earning 95000 and 99000 probably live in better neighborhoods than those earning 36000 and 20000, and thus end up paying more for living expenses. Also, the fact of the matter that minimum wages, or lower wages, have not kept pace with costs of living.

If I'm wrong, please point it out! Thanks!

You're right up to the point that your remedy is flawed.

Also, yes, an income disparity is growing. I don't see that as a problem if everyone is earning more and doing bettter. And if the middle class is getting smaller by everyone making more I REALLY don't see the problem. Upward mobility is a GOOD thing.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
DOES DEBATE SCARE YOU!
when it's yet-another-tangent of thread derailing libertarian theology my eyes bleed.

Gaborn said:
Why? this is arguing tax policy, and essentially Obama's soak the rich plan vs Barr's plan to reduce the tax burden entirely.
quick, how many times was Barr's name mentioned in the last 200 posts...

GhaleonEB

Father_Brain said:
I believe Darwin had a name for it. Survival something-or-other.
When my father left, he emptied our bank accounts, maxed out the credit cards and left a mortgage six months behind on payments and unpaid bills galore (our power had been shut off).

My mom was in college and working full-time, living in her sister's basement. She couldn't afford to have two kids dropped on her as well. Her sister was a high school teacher who didn't make that much (her salary was capped, natch) and all she could afford to do was provide the basement space for us. My mom worked her ass off for the next decade to get us a leg up.

She refused to go into bankruptcy, negotiating payment schedules with all of the companies we owed money to. It took her six years, but she paid off every penny (one company she sent $5 per month, because that's all she could afford). Eventually she graduated with honors.

Despite her work, we couldn't afford to really live. We were on food stamps for years, among other things. Were it not for government welfare programs, well, I literally don't know what would have happened to us.

But as a result of them, we pulled ourselves up. My mother graduated with honors. My brother and I worked our asses off and eventually graduated college as well. I do pretty well right now, and my only debt is our mortgage. But I'd probably never have gotten close had it not been for welfare.

As for my mother, she died several year ago, after fighting the onset of several diseases. Most of them deriving from her lifestyle the past decade. She literally worked herself to death. I guess she wasn't fit enough to survive.

So fuck your "survival of the fittest" bullshit line.

Azih

JayDubya said:
You cannot ensure that people who fall through the cracks are taken care of by any sort of private charity. You can with government programs which is doubly good in the case that the government is a democracy and therefore under the control of the citizens of the country.

JayDubya

Banned
Gaborn said:
Why? this is arguing tax policy, and essentially Obama's soak the rich plan vs Barr's plan to reduce the tax burden entirely.

Which all started with Vinzer talking specifically about the policies of McCain and Obama.

I wouldn't oppose that legislation, though I believe having a low tax on everything would help everyone involved

I agree, if only we could curtail government spending. But I would take the approach that increasing government efficiency and accountability would do the trick, not taking away social programs.

I'm suprised there isn't.

I don't know how they would implement such a system on a bill-by-bill, program by program basis. If they could make it really easy online, that would be cool, especially for bills being proposed. They could see how much America, the people, would be willing to pony up for crazy projects like the Iraq War.

You don't? A company uses public roads to get goods to where they need to go. Someone needs to pay for it. Have a sales tax. Gas is a necessity that the government regulates for safety and other things. Have a gas tax.

The government is not involved in the contract between the employer/employee

Oh. Wow, that was made real clear there. Thanks. But the government is the one that sets up and maintains the economic system that allows that business to exist in the first place, I'd argue.

But what is the overall good for people? People who have jobs are happier than people that don't, and capitalism delivers a ton of jobs.

My beef with this is that while someone may have a job, it's not enough to live on. Read Nickel and Dimed, a great book by a reporter who worked as a waitress, a maid, and a Wal-Mart employee as long as she could before running out of funds. She was not allowed to use any money earned before her assignment. She didn't last the year allotted.

And not all social welfare programs are bad. Even Milton Friedman has said that government should be involved in public health. If the disabled were the only ones using welfare in this country, no one would be pissed.

Agreed. I would also like to add the sentiment "A helping hand up, not a helping hand out.

If you don't mind, I'll put my answers in bold in your quote, so I don't lengthen my post visually.

Macam said:
Isn't this thread supposed to be about the "general election and veepstakes"? Take this Hobbsian crap elsewhere.

What? This is a great discussion, pertinent to politics and Obama & McCain's platforms in terms of their approach towards tax policy.

*grabs you by the trousers and prepares to throw you out*

REPENT SINNER REPENT

Mumei

maynerd said:
Yes we are on the same page.

Excellent.

Anyhow, no one needs to worry about the thread getting off track; this just happens when it is a slow day. It, like the civil unions debate, will run its course.

Gaborn

scorcho said:
quick, how many times was Barr's name mentioned in the last 200 posts...

Probably not many, but certainly libertarians and conservatives have been mentioned, and that's fundamentally what this debate is, libertarians vs liberals.

Banned
JayDubya said:
Which all started with Vinzer talking specifically about the policies of McCain and Obama.
I think it started with Vinzer calling Gaffers college socialists.:lol

I would love to continue this conversation FlightOfHeaven but I have to go work. We'll continue this later.

scorcho

JayDubya said:
Socialists: Soak the rich!
Everyone else: Now hang on just a minute...
libertarians: i'm ignorant
everyone else: wow, they're ignorant

edit: stealth edits! spread the wealth!

Gaborn

Mumei said:
Define "soaking" for me.

It sounds bad.

Asking them to pay a different percentage of their income and pretending it's fair because they have more money.

Scorcho - stay classy. (didn't bishoptl ban Vinzer for essentially insulting liberals as a group?)

Mumei

Gaborn said:
Asking them to pay a different percentage of their income and pretending it's fair because they have more money.

Scorcho - stay classy.

Oh.

Well, I do think it is fair; I'm not pretending to think it is fair while secretly getting off to the fact that the wealthy pay a higher percentage of their income.

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
When my father left, he emptied our bank accounts, maxed out the credit cards and left a mortgage six months behind on payments and unpaid bills galore (our power had been shut off).

My mom was in college and working full-time, living in her sister's basement. She couldn't afford to have two kids dropped on her as well. Her sister was a high school teacher who didn't make that much (her salary was capped, natch) and all she could afford to do was provide the basement space for us. My mom worked her ass off for the next decade to get us a leg up.

She refused to go into bankruptcy, negotiating payment schedules with all of the companies we owed money to. It took her six years, but she paid off every penny (one company she sent $5 per month, because that's all she could afford). Eventually she graduated with honors.

Despite her work, we couldn't afford to really live. We were on food stamps for years, among other things. Were it not for government welfare programs, well, I literally don't know what would have happened to us.

But as a result of them, we pulled ourselves up. My mother graduated with honors. My brother and I worked our asses off and eventually graduated college as well. I do pretty well right now, and my only debt is our mortgage. But I'd probably never have gotten close had it not been for welfare.

As for my mother, she died several year ago, after fighting the onset of several diseases. Most of them deriving from her lifestyle the past decade. She literally worked herself to death. I guess she wasn't fit enough to survive.

So fuck your "survival of the fittest" bullshit line.
Your mother is a hero who used welfare the way it should be used.

Now if only everyone did that.

Gaborn

scorcho said:
someone else's irony meter appears to be busted as well

It's not irony, it's a deliberate attempt at ad hominem with no rational argument to support your contention. Calling someone ignorant because they don't agree with your economic position is completely unsupportable.

scorcho

that post was more a response to jaydub's over-generalizing portrait of 'socialists' vs. 'everyone else' (stealth changed to left-leaning) by way of this debate on taxation. believing that the market system requires a social safety net doesn't make them 'socialists'.

i duly note your fake outrage and respond with a fake apology.

JayDubya

Banned
Azih said:
You cannot ensure that people who fall through the cracks are taken care of by any sort of private charity. You can with government programs which is doubly good in the case that the government is a democracy and therefore under the control of the citizens of the country.

You can?

No you can't. Government organizations that suck or fail or botch a job are retooled and reorganized and given even more tax money. Private charities that suck or fail don't get voluntary donations anymore.

Gaborn said:
The more efficiently a company handles a government contract the more money they're likely to earn (most companies put in bonuses for doing a job well faster), and the more likely they are to earn a similar contract for another job down the road. Similarly if they do a poor job there are plenty of companies willing to take over and do the job right. There's no such check on government inefficiency and ineptitude, it's extremely difficult to fire a bureaucrat.

Oh, I'd agree, if it weren't for those no-bid contracts and the like. Oh, and lobbying. Really puts a hamper on the idea you wrote above. It if weren't for those two things, I'd probably agree 100%.

And thanks for taking the time to explain your libertarian views to me. I may not agree with you on everything, but you've been civil and clear (along with the other libertarians in this thread), and most importantly, patient.

Oh, and thanks to you, too, avatar99. See around. I should be sleeping, actually, it's 2:14 A.M. over here. : (

---

Soaking the rich? Oh, come on, I thought we went over this already! : ( The rich already pay less (proportionally) in taxes.

As for a real summery, I'd say twas this:

Some poster comes in here, starts complaining that Obama wants to tax the rich. LiberalGAF starts to respond, said poster claims us all to be "fucking socialist college students that never worked a day in our lives" or something close/to that effect. Gets banned, but inadvertently fosters a strong discussion between liberals and libertarians (maybe a conservative or two?) on the current nature of the taxation system, the benefits and disadvantages of taxing the rich, on what principles it should or should not be done.

It was also intertwined with a bit of a history lesson on the nature of the Great Depression, and what caused/augmented it, and what caused the U.S. to pull out of it.

Gaborn

scorcho said:
that post was more a response to jaydub's over-generalizing portrait of 'socialists' vs. 'everyone else' (stealth changed to left-leaning) by way of this debate on taxation. i duly note your fake outrage and respond with a fake apology.

Not fake outrage, and saying someone is "soaking the rich" is not the same as flat out assuming everyone who disagrees with you is ignorant.

Flight - You've been civil as well which I appreciate. I agree no bid contracts and the like are wrong, the simpler answer is to prevent them being given by the government.

As for soaking the rich - if they pay a lower percentage of their income in taxes the answer is to close the loopholes that allow that, not to punish them for the same income with a diferent scale.

scorcho

Gaborn said:
Not fake outrage, and saying someone is "soaking the rich" is not the same as flat out assuming everyone who disagrees with you is ignorant.
likewise, not believing libertarian gospel of completely free markets and little federal government intervention doesn't make one a socialist.

Gaborn

scorcho said:
likewise, not believing libertarian gospel of completely free markets and little federal government intervention doesn't make one a socialist.

True, but socialist is a political descriptor and not by itself an insult.

JayDubya

Banned
scorcho said:
likewise not believing libertarian gospel of completely free markets and little federal government intervention doesn't make one a socialist.

It doesn't? Moderate, democratic socialism still has the nagging issue of that last word. Probably why it's marketed as "progressivism."

Gaborn said:

Don't kid yourself, it is when I use it. :D

Mumei

Gaborn said:

Isn't it meant as an insult when it is a libertarian making the accusation?

Edit: Thank you, Jay. :lol

TDG

Banned
Macam said:
I agree that this thread is supposed to be about politics, not political stances, but I think these discussions are a lot more interesting than the mindless treadmill we've been on since Obama locked up the nomination. I mean, do you really want to keep worrying about Ohio and Florida and McCain's whatevers and OMG Obama maybe flip-flopped and "Oh noez hes not up by 20 in the Gallup" over and over until the VP selections?

We've got an interesting, fairly intelligent conversation going. Let it be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom