• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of USA General Elections (DAWN OF THE VEEP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pxleyes

Banned
JayDubya said:
Right, but aren't they criticizing McCain for doubletalk when he's pushing for domestic drilling and then turning around and wanting to incentivize technology meant to push towards energy independence, when both policies are aimed at that goal?

I also don't approve of this $300 M cash prize thing, or a lot of McCain's schtick, really, but you already know that, and why. However, all this "lol McSame lol" stuff needs to have logic behind it.
The logic is that his policy is no different than Bush's with no true push to get off of oil. This idea that we should drill domestically "just because" without an real incentive on the technology, production, or price is absolute insanity.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
JayDubya said:
Aye, and that's the way it's always been, but of course, I see no reason why we should restrict free enterprise from getting what oil we can when we can while we can, or why that has any bearing on the push for new technology when, as you say, the price won't change all that much so people are already highly incentivized to try more fuel efficient / different means of transportation.
Oh, that's right, externalities are make believe like elves, gremlins, and eskimos.

Amir0x

Banned
bob_arctor said:
I think it was a mixture of "Oh, who gives a shit", "Damn right, get that money!" and "Publicfinancingwhatnow?"

i think there were some 'disappointing decision' as well, among a few of us Obama supporters.

Gaborn

pxleyes said:
The logic is that his policy is no different than Bush's with no true push to get off of oil. This idea that we should drill domestically "just because" without an real incentive on the technology, production, or price is absolute insanity.

So you'd support drilling for oil if we put an incentive on developing alternative energy?

eznark

Banned
bob_arctor said:
I think it was a mixture of "Oh, who gives a shit", "Damn right, get that money!" and "Publicfinancingwhatnow?"

If nothing else, I love that it was a tried and true liberal who killed public finance reform. That is awesomeness in itself right there

i think there were some 'disappointing decision' as well, among a few of us Obama supporters.

That's good and honest. Seems like what the reaction as in most left of center editorial boards around the country as well.

Tamanon

Banned
eznark said:
If nothing else, I love that it was a tried and true liberal who killed public finance reform. That is awesomeness in itself right there

Yeah, but McCain didn't mean to, he just meant to game the system.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
eznark: Obama breaking the pledge doesn't bother me so much - it makes for bad publicity, but i can't fault someone for opting out of public campaign finance considering the grassroots financing machine his team nursed through the primaries. now, his dissembling on the flood of current GOP 527s is a different matter...

i also hate the very idea of ethanol fuel (converting food to fuel smacks as wrong, not to mention the doubled carbon footprint in converting said food to fuel), which makes the NYT piece on Obama's love of corn a bit worrying.

pxleyes

Banned
Gaborn said:
So you'd support drilling for oil if we put an incentive on developing alternative energy?
no, that's not what I said at all. I don't support domestic drilling because it in no way helps us further our technology, the price of oil, or would make an real impact on the amount of production.

Our focus should be alternative energy and I've yet to see an explanation as to why we shouldn't.

Gaborn

Amir0x said:

And, oddly, that was one decision I'll give Obama credit for. More free speech and ignoring the obnoxious McCain Feingold is ultimately good policy.

pxleyes - the reason we should support a bit of everything is because although drilling by itself isn't enough to lower the price of oil, if we drill more, reduce our overall usage of oil, and adopt more forms of alternative fuel technology ultimately that DOES lower the price of oil

eznark

Banned
Tamanon said:
Yeah, but McCain didn't mean to, he just meant to game the system.

it's what politicians do, even ones who try so hard to brand themselves as a new breed. In the end they're all the same...

except Kinky Friedman.
i also hate the very idea of ethanol fuel

it's like you're flirting with me

Amir0x

Banned
bob_arctor said:
I saved that one for the FISA/Telcom "compromise". :-(

This decision received words I will not repeat here. Politicians, etc, washington. Breaking my resolve type shit! But, cooler heads, every one has flaws, everyone has flaws *repeat*

Tamanon

Banned
http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/archives/individual/2008_06/013958.php

What do you see as the gravest long-term threat to the U.S. economy?

Obama: If we don't get a handle on our energy policy, it is possible that the kinds of trends we've seen over the last year will just continue. Demand is clearly outstripping supply. It's not a problem we can drill our way out of. It can be a drag on our economy for a very long time unless we take steps to innovate and invest in the research and development that's required to find alternative fuels. I think it's very important for the federal government to have a role in that process.

McCain: Well, I would think that the absolute gravest threat is the struggle that we're in against Islamic extremism, which can affect, if they prevail, our very existence. Another successful attack on the United States of America could have devastating consequences.

LOL

GhaleonEB

eznark said:
speaking of contradictory, what was the Following's response to the Annointed One's breaking of the campaign finance pledge?
Ignoring the baiting, my reaction was:

1) Good. He's going to need it to combat what the GOP is going to throw at him.

2) He didn't really break a pledge. The "pledge" came with the following caveat:

If I am the Democratic nominee, I will aggressively pursue an agreement with the Republican nominee to preserve a publicly financed general election.

He later outlined the specifics of that agreement, which McCain has publicly (and according to the Obama camp, privately) refused to agree to.

Though he should have been more aggressive in pursuing it. One meeting with lawyers and some public statements isn't "aggressive". Of course, McCain is busy breaking his own campaign finance laws right now, so I'm not sure how much that agreement would have been worth.

bob_arctor said:
Yeah. :(

Mandark

Small balls, big fun!
JayDubya said:
Right, but aren't they criticizing McCain for doubletalk when he's pushing for domestic drilling and then turning around and wanting to incentivize technology meant to push towards energy independence, when both policies are aimed at that goal?

BECAUSE DRILLING FOR DOMESTIC OIL IS NOT A STRATEGY FOR ENERGY INDEPENDENCE. Yeesh.

Gaborn: Your "central point" is dumb.

Whatever the deep reserves, the amount anyone could pump daily a year from now, five years from now, or ten years from now is generally agreed on. And those amounts do virtually nothing to get us towards energy independence.

Saying a place has enough for "X years of energy" is completely meaningless if the rate of extraction is a limit, which it is.

Door2Dawn

Banned
Fortune Magazine is running a profile on John McCain titled, "The evolution of John McCain." McCain's chief advisor, Charlie Black, is interviewed in the piece. Below is a choice quote from Black on why he thinks another terrorist attack on US soil would help McCain win the presidency.

On national security McCain wins. We saw how that might play out early in the campaign, when one good scare, one timely reminder of the chaos lurking in the world, probably saved McCain in New Hampshire, a state he had to win to save his candidacy - this according to McCain's chief strategist, Charlie Black. The assassination of Benazir Bhutto in December was an "unfortunate event," says Black. "But his knowledge and ability to talk about it reemphasized that this is the guy who's ready to be Commander-in-Chief. And it helped us." As would, Black concedes with startling candor after we raise the issue, another terrorist attack on U.S. soil. "Certainly it would be a big advantage to him," says Black.
r-MACTHUMB-huge.jpg

eznark

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
Ignoring the baiting, my reaction was:

1) Good. He's going to need it to combat what the GOP is going to throw at him.

2) He didn't really break a pledge. The "pledge" came with the following caveat:

He later outlined the specifics of that agreement, which McCain has publicly (and according to the Obama camp, privately) refused to agree to.

Though he should have been more aggressive in pursuing it. One meeting with lawyers and some public statements isn't "aggressive". Of course, McCain is busy breaking his own campaign finance laws right now, so I'm not sure how much that agreement would have been worth.

I think we need to establish that just because some of use really really dislike Obama's policies, we do not necessarily like McCain any better, so the "yeah but's" are just kind of a waste of time.

As to your points...rationalization is a very important characteristic whenever you invest yourself in a politician.

(and my baiting was only to steer the discussion back to the election, not to incite anger).

Mandark

Small balls, big fun!
scorcho said:
i also hate the very idea of ethanol fuel (converting food to fuel smacks as wrong, not to mention the doubled carbon footprint in converting said food to fuel), which makes the NYT piece on Obama's love of corn a bit worrying.

My boy Edwards said in an interview with Grist that corn ethanol should be seen as a transitional technology, to get the infrastructure in place for when switchgrass and algae ethanol are viable options.

Now I'm not sure whether there's enough overlap of technology that this is true, or whether it was just sop to the agricultural lobby. Either way I wouldn't write off ethanol completely, but I'd stay worried that the usual interest groups would keep the US tied to the less efficient or even harmful variations.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
bob_arctor said:
As a "Rule of Law" fanboy the only thing that would make me feel better about letting telcos off the hook is certain higher ups getting dragged to jail.

...yeah, that would help a lot. :D

maynerd

Banned
Can you all just give up this AWAR and Offshore drilling solutions? These ideas will take anywhere from 6-10 years to even start seeing ANY benefit let alone any benefit that amounts to anything.

What's a bigger question is why the oil companies need any more places to drill. They are sitting on leases that by some estimates contain BILLIONS of barrels of oil. They are just flat out refusing to drill for it. Let them drill there first.

http://resourcescommittee.house.gov/images/stories/Documents/truth_about_americas_energy.pdf

Gaborn

Mandark said:
BECAUSE DRILLING FOR DOMESTIC OIL IS NOT A STRATEGY FOR ENERGY INDEPENDENCE. Yeesh.

Whatever the deep reserves, the amount anyone could pump daily a year from now, five years from now, or ten years from now is generally agreed on. And those amounts do virtually nothing to get us towards energy independence.

Saying a place has enough for "X years of energy" is completely meaningless if the rate of extraction is a limit, which it is.

Ok, even if the rate of extraction is a finite limit (a completely fair point) it's still better to have access to more oil than less oil as part of a comprehensive energy policy.

Maynerd - Saying something is "open for drilling" does not address how easy it is to get at any Oil or Natural Gas which may or may not be there. I looked at that report and I don't see estimates that the areas that are open to drilling are cost effective to access.

JayDubya

Banned
Mandark said:

It's not a strategy for "oil independence" (i.e. more oil does not further the cause of the non-use of oil) but it reduces dependence on foreign oil as an energy source, and that's kind of a mouthful, so maybe "energy independence" ain't a bad thing to call that.

Even if your most conservative (lol) estimates are true, more domestic oil = less demand for foreign oil. You can say it would only have a modest effect or for a short time, but you can't say that more domestic access to more of a natural resource does not further the goal in question, if not the lofty, pie-in-the-sky goal you'd prefer to forward.

Mandark said:

It's not dumb.

The entire point is to give the free market more time to come up with a solution to the energy crisis!

Why invest in solving the problem directly when you can post-pone it for years, allowing oil corporations to make even more money which they will later be forced to use to develop new energy after oil runs out!

People like you are trying to stifle the market >:-( The oil reserves need to be depleted everywhere, and then and only then will the free market save us!

friedman.jpg

Tamanon

Banned
Mandark said:
I think "most" Democrats voted against the bill. But not by a very big margin.

They voted against it 2 to 1, but unfortunately that's enough for it to pass. I'm also a bit disappointed that Ron Paul didn't even vote on it.

Mandark

Small balls, big fun!
Gaborn said:
Ok, even if the rate of extraction is a finite limit (a completely fair point) it's still better to have access to more oil than less oil as part of a comprehensive energy policy.

Not if one of your primary long term goals in that strategy is to kick the US off of its current oil-based path dependency.

Justin Bailey

------ ------
As would, Black concedes with startling candor after we raise the issue, another terrorist attack on U.S. soil. "Certainly it would be a big advantage to him," says Black.
Maybe he's smarter than we think. He's basically telling the terrorists "If you want another 4 years of Bush, by all means attack" essentially guaranteeing our safety until after November.

GhaleonEB

eznark said:
As to your points...rationalization is a very important characteristic whenever you invest yourself in a politician.
Alternately, you could look at what the politician actually said, as opposed to what you wish he had said. And your selective reaction to my giving your question an actual response makes it clear you were being disingenuous in the first place. I won't make that mistake again.

There's no rationalizing his position on FISA. It's the incorrect one to take, when he should be leading on the issue.

pxleyes

Banned
JayDubya said:
It's not a strategy for "oil independence" but it reduces dependence on foreign oil as an energy source, and that's kind of a mouthful, so maybe "energy independence" ain't a bad thing to call that.

Even if your most conservative (lol) estimates are true, more domestic oil = less demand for foreign oil. You can say it would only have a modest effect or for a short time, but you can't say that more domestic access to more of a natural resource does not further the goal in question, if not the lofty, pie-in-the-sky goal you'd prefer to forward.
Wow...way to spin it.

Stating it is "energy independence" when it leads to nothing of the sort is misleading on a huge level. We are talking about, at best, a small reduction in our dependency on foreign oil...by the time we should already have an alternative source of fuel.

Tamanon

Banned
BTW, if anyone wants to get overdosed on liberalism and snark, apparently one of the guests listed for Countdown tonight is Markos.:lol

Gaborn

Frank the Great said:
It's not dumb.

The entire point is to give the free market more time to come up with a solution to the energy crisis!

Why invest in solving the problem directly when you can post-pone it for years, allowing oil corporations to make even more money which they will later be forced to use to develop new energy after oil runs out!

People like you are trying to stifle the market >:-( The oil reserves need to be depleted everywhere, and then and only then will the free market save us!

friedman.jpg

Someone has a problem with reading. Why must you consistently misrepresent what I say? Please show me where I oppose alternative energy. Go on, please, show me.

JayDubya

Banned
pxleyes said:
Wow...way to spin it.

Stating it is "energy independence" when it leads to nothing of the sort is misleading on a huge level. We are talking about, at best, a small reduction in our dependency on foreign oil...by the time we should already have an alternative source of fuel.

I'm spinning nothing. You want the total non-use of oil. Apparently your buzzword for that is "energy independence," and that phrase gets bandied about by both the right and the left so someone, somewhere must have thought it was pretty marketable to the voters. However, it's also abundantly clear that not everyone means the same thing when they say it.

Kind of like "equity" and "fairness" a few pages back.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
GhaleonEB said:
This, combined with Charlie Black's comments above, are both hilarious and deeply frightening.

Do you think Obama's campaign should pounce on these comments? I would, especially to point out how much better Obama would be on economic issues and by extension, reality.

GhaleonEB

bob_arctor said:
Do you think Obama's campaign should pounce on these comments? I would, especially to point out how much better Obama would be on economic issues and also, reality.
It would fit into Obama's "McCain is out of touch" theme. I mean, seriously. How many people would answer "Islamic extremism" when asked what the biggest threat to the US economy is? Talk about fear-mongering.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Mandark said:
I think "most" Democrats voted against the bill. But not by a very big margin.
http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2008/roll437.xml

yay, Pelosi, yay. i'm not sure why she publicly pushed such a hard line on telecom immunity(all the while Democrats were further bullied on the issue for months) only to capitulate in time for the November election. it made no sense whatsoever. i'd also be interested in knowing how much involvement Obama had on the House debate considering it's technically his party now.

i also heard Edwards (or was it you?) talk about switchblade grass before, but to me it doesn't make sense to sink heavy investment on a transition technology with heavy net-negatives if a more viable alternative already exists. i would think that any investment in ethanol now would further legitimize it as the only alternative (hellooooo subsidies).

pxleyes

Banned
JayDubya said:
I'm spinning nothing. You want the total non-use of oil. Apparently your buzzword for that is "energy independence," and that phrase gets bandied about by both the right and the left so someone, somewhere must have thought it was pretty marketable to the voters. However, it's also abundantly clear that not everyone means the same thing when they say it.

Kind of like "equity" and "fairness" a few pages back.
It isn't my buzzword, it is McCain's. McCain spoke of domestic drilling today as a solution for "energy independence." Not a reduction of dependency on foreign oil but total independence. That is a blatant twisting of the facts on his part and I'm calling him out on it.

There is only one definition for the term, and it does not involve relying on foreign countries for energy.

Gaborn said:
Someone has a problem with reading. Why must you consistently misrepresent what I say? Please show me where I oppose alternative energy. Go on, please, show me.
He's not. He's representing McCain's policy and showing it to you. You are making the leap that he believe you don't want alternative fuel sources.

JayDubya said:
It's not a strategy for "oil independence" (i.e. more oil does not further the cause of the non-use of oil) but it reduces dependence on foreign oil as an energy source, and that's kind of a mouthful, so maybe "energy independence" ain't a bad thing to call that.

Well . . . yes and no. Sure . . . that would increase the % of domestic oil temporarily. However, it might also lull us back into complacency such that we will continue to build the economy on the need for oil. When that oil runs low, we will just end up finding ourselves in an even more difficult situation than we currently face.

This foreign oil dependency is definitely an area where I do not follow the Libertarian party-line. Markets are great most of the time but the energy market has too many externalities that are not accounted for. Things like national security risk of being dependent on foreign oil, national security risk of funding these dictators and religious fundamentalists, pollution, greenhouse gases, the fact that it is a finite resource, etc.

JayDubya

Banned
pxleyes said:
It isn't my buzzword, it is McCain's. McCain spoke of domestic drilling today as a solution for "energy independence." Not a reduction of dependency on foreign oil but total independence. That is a blatant twisting of the facts on his part and I'm calling him out on it.

There is only one definition for the term, and it does not involve relying on foreign countries for energy.

Well, there's only one definition for recession or monopoly and that doesn't stop GAF. ;P

Gaborn

pxleyes said:

I'm not going to defend McCain but I do believe part of any good energy policy has to include drilling along with anything else. In that sense I myself might characterize it as part of the solution, not the whole thing but part of it certainly.

pxleyes

Banned
JayDubya said:
Well, there's only one definition for recession or monopoly and that doesn't stop GAF. ;P
I'm glad you agree I'm right then because you've obviously decided to ignore the issue now.

TDG

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
It would fit into Obama's "McCain is out of touch" theme. I mean, seriously. How many people would answer "Islamic extremism" when asked what the biggest threat to the US economy is? Talk about fear-mongering.
Well hey, McCain said he doesn't know anything about the economy, and he clearly doesn't, so he's trust worthy. A leader we can trust. But seriously, as long as you don't know what the fuck you're talking about, you might as well scare some people while you're at it.

JayDubya

Banned
speculawyer said:
This foreign oil dependency is definitely an area where I do not follow the Libertarian party-line.

I've noted a lot of those areas, yeah.

pxleyes said:
I'm glad you agree I'm right then because you've obviously decided to ignore the issue now.

Not really, but if you can't see how more domestic oil (low-balling of amounts aside) doesn't even partially further the cause of reducing dependence on foreign oil or couldn't be a plank of a larger strategy thereof, there's not a whole lot to debate.

Yes, I realize you want the non-use of oil, but not to put too fine a point on it, now who's all about the puppies and sunshine?

McCain: Well, I would think that the absolute gravest threat is the struggle that we're in against Islamic extremism, which can affect, if they prevail, our very existence. Another successful attack on the United States of America could have devastating consequences.
WTF?

The only way that Islamic extremism is a great threat to the USA is that they cause people like you and George Bush to over-react in a way that drains our treasury and loses all our allies. I'm sure we will have spent more money on the Iraq war than the 9/11 attacks cost us economically. Any they won't be able to pull that one off again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom