• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pop corn for everyone:Microsoft is considering HD DVD for Xenon

Wulfer

You guys are asuming that everyone's going to run out and buy Blue ray and HD-DVD. I don't think it's going to happen that quick. First, I haven't seen one real reason to go buy these players over DVD unless a family has a HD television. Too casuals this Blue Ray / HD DVD means nothing. Say what you will the televisions are gonna have to come down alot more before mass market buying will occur. The point is these cost aren't coming down like the marketers hope they will. I'm certainly not going to run out and buy into new unproven technology with todays economy.

Cathcart

That's why it's a big deal what Sony and Microsoft pick. If Sony goes BRD you've got 40-100 million players sold. Boom, instant market. Then you just do what they did with DVDs, put more extra stuff and special edition Blu Ray versions out there. People can't resist special edition, I think those words are written on almost everything in my apartment.

cja

kaching said:
The problem with your analogy to the PC is that its an open box that I can upgrade in any order and at any rate as I want to.
I thought it reinforced my analogy oddly enough! We have the flexibility that Microsoft don't have, agreed. Which is why I'll buy a blue laser drive when its $50 at retail in 2008 not $200 in 2005. Purely speculative numbers of course but not far out of the ballpark if CD-ROM and DVD-ROM price drops are anything to go by. You're still asking MS to cough up extra dollars in the early adoption stage before mass-production really kicks in. I'd rather see that spent on better silicon because I don't think the extra storage is necessary.

kaching said:
Console manufacturers have one chance to get the right mix of capabilities for what will hopefully turn into a successful 5-6 yr run on the market. You say use the money they'd put towards HD-DVD support to bump up the CPU/GPU specs?
Not the actual specifications, they'll be set in stone now. Just the clock-rates at which they run. The Xbox GPU was reduced from 300MHz to 233MHz and GameCube GPU from 205MHz to 162MHz once the architecture had been finalised. This was thanks to lower than expected yields which were proving costly.

kaching said:
Assuming that yields significant improvement, what happens 2-3 yrs down the road when devs are into 2nd/3rd gen software for the Xenon and the capabilities of the CPU/GPU they can tap are greater than the storage you have at your disposal that you would need for all the resources to really it do it justice?
The hardware manufacturers can formulate a good estimate of how much space is needed at the start of a gen. The GPU is only going to support textures at certain resolutions and with a good idea on texture, vertice, audio and video compression all known from the outset where does the ballooning of media storage needs come from? Personally think its a myth. MGS3 doesn't need far more storage space than MGS2 or Halo 2 versus 1, GTA San Andreas compared to GTA:III.

kaching said:
Alternatively, what if $50 just goes a lot farther right now towards HDDVD than it does with CPU/GPU performance?
I'd be all for HD DVD/Blu-ray if it only added $10-20 to the price, for Microsoft, of the initial Xenon machines. But this is an impractical hypothetical imho. We have yet to see a production HD DVD model and Blu-ray specs are still at 0.9. Late 2005/early 2006 will be a lot earlier in the life-cycle of these blue laser devices than it was for DVD when PS2 was released. So I don't envisage an upgraded optical drive being a better cost benefit than bumping up the clock-rate of the silicon.

WULFER said:
You guys are asuming that everyone's going to run out and buy Blue ray and HD-DVD. I don't think it's going to happen that quick. First, I haven't seen one real reason to go buy these players over DVD unless a family has a HD television. Too casuals this Blue Ray / HD DVD means nothing. Say what you will the televisions are gonna have to come down alot more before mass market buying will occur. The point is these cost aren't coming down like the marketers hope they will. I'm certainly not going to run out and buy into new unproven technology with todays economy.

HD televisions will just about be the only televisions sold in 2006. Already they can be had for $400-$500 for 32 inch and less. Sure you can go the plasma or monster sized screens, but I think they'll be far more prevalent in 2006-2010 than you seem to think.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Well....a 1X HD-DVD*R* drive is 36mb/s, what the ROM version turns out to be is anyones guess at this point as its not been finalized....

Hell, even BRD-ROM, which is much further along than HD-DVD Rom is a work in progress....BRD-ROMs will either be 40mb/s or 72mb/s (equal to a 1.5X or 2X BRD-RE drives)...

So lets see here...a 16X DVD ROM drive is just under 160mb/sec right.....

XENON would need a 5x drive to beat this(180 mb/s) and PS3 would need either a 4X BRD-ROM of the 40mb/s variety to equal 160mb/s....if we find out in december that BRD-ROM 1X spec turns out to be 72mb/s, then a 2X drive will net you 144mb/s which is in the same ballpark of the 16X DVD ROM drive...

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
On a related topic, will the battle between HD-DVD and Blue Ray be as epic and important as the battle between VHS and Beta was back in the day??? What are the similarities and what are the differences?? Finally, which format is in the best position to win and what has to be done to improve either one's chances of "winning"???

neptunes

It depends on the amount of support each drive has.

...and right now blu-ray has quite a lot of people supporting it.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
KLee said:
So lets see here...a 16X DVD ROM drive is just under 160mb/sec right.....
Actually it's just below 170MBit/sec (1x DVD is rated at 1350KB/sec).
BRD-Rom is specced at 54MBit/sec according to that official doc(or is that number BS?), so you'd need around 3x to get there...

Well....a 1X HD-DVD*R* drive is 36mb/s, what the ROM version turns out to be is anyones guess at this point as its not been finalized....
:| I somehow find it unbelievable that people speculate if 12months from now MS will ship a console using a format that is still incomplete to that point at this moment.

Anyway, my question has been this for months now - how much will a 4x drive cost given that even 1x drives are not manufactured yet? Personally I am more inclined to believe that even Sony will not use more then 2x speed if they really come out in spring 2006.

open_mouth said:
What are the similarities and what are the differences??
Isn't one big difference that HD-DVD and BRD are physically compatible?

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Slightly OT...

some pix of Philips first BRD-RE product, due out next month...

adView.aspx

It plays SACDs too

urltrurl

Here is the standard Proto ProPlus remote
urltrurl

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
cja: I agree, the timing is a little tighter this time around and its very likely to cost MS more to implement HDDVD in the Xenon than it did to implement DVD in the Xbox, but that doesn't change the fact that the opportunity, if missed, would be extremely difficult to properly rectify for several years. If we revise history on this gen for a moment, what would things have been like if all the console makers had stuck to CD media only?

The GPU is only going to support textures at certain resolutions and with a good idea on texture, vertice, audio and video compression all known from the outset where does the ballooning of media storage needs come from?
How much data you can shuttle in and around the CPU and GPU at any given moment isn't going to dictate by itself how much overall storage you're going to need for a game. The much bigger determining factors are simply how much content you intend to have in a game and how data rich it is.

Personally think its a myth. MGS3 doesn't need far more storage space than MGS2 or Halo 2 versus 1, GTA San Andreas compared to GTA:III.
It's a bit misleading to do the comparison like this since these games all have to be made with the limitations of current hardware and storage capacities in mind. Relax ALL of those limitations and the question becomes how would they be made differently?

It's not so much a matter of whether you need to use ALL of the space blue-laser media offers, just a question of whether you could use more than DVD offers.

So I don't envisage an upgraded optical drive being a better cost benefit than bumping up the clock-rate of the silicon.
It's a tough call, I agree. But I think part of this assessment of cost benefit has to factor in which one gives you more room to grow into and what the longer term benefits are, as a result. Do you increase your storage space by a factor of 3-4 or do you increase CPU/GPU clockspeed by a factor of 1-2 (and most likely closer to 1)? Which one ultimately provides the best ROI?

cja

kaching,
cja: I agree, the timing is a little tighter this time around and its very likely to cost MS more to implement HDDVD in the Xenon than it did to implement DVD in the Xbox, but that doesn't change the fact that the opportunity, if missed, would be extremely difficult to properly rectify for several years. If we revise history on this gen for a moment, what would things have been like if all the console makers had stuck to CD media only?
I'd argue timing is a lot tighter! Admittedly it would be virtually impossible to rectify the "mistake" if HD video players became de-facto and this could be catastrophic for the system. It won't happen though! Blue laser is not going to have the quick adoption rates of DVD because you have two competing formats, people need to replace their TVs, you have standalone DVD-RW or Divx players competing and the leap from DVD to Blu-ray/HD-DVD is nowhere near the gap between VHS and DVD. Xenon is meant to be a game system not a video player. Any storage trouble? Just use another disc.

The potential risks far outweigh the advantages for Microsoft imho. Not being competitive on price or having numerous teething troubles with the media player are far more likely occurances if they adopt a blue laser device. They can't compete with Sony on costs for an optical drive, perhaps if Toshiba and NEC are desperate enough they could get costs close but emphasising a new optical storage device is playing to Sony's strength whereas connectivity with the home PC, for example, would play better to Microsoft's.

CD media last-gen isn't comparable to DVD this in terms of usage. FFVII on PS1 used three CDs back in 1997. Every game released on Xbox or PS2 in the west only require a DVD-9 and the vast majority will fit on a single layer DVD-5. So the revision of history isn't a good fit for what may happen next-gen, if DVDs are used again.

How much data you can shuttle in and around the CPU and GPU at any given moment isn't going to dictate by itself how much overall storage you're going to need for a game. The much bigger determining factors are simply how much content you intend to have in a game and how data rich it is.
I don't see the increase in content, quantity wise, from one gen to the next. Game worlds haven't increased dramatically in size from PS1 to PS2. The time needed to create the content is far more exhaustive thanks to sonic and graphical improvements, the qualitative aspects, but this hasn't been mirrored in games taking far longer to complete in far larger environments. Perhaps MMORPGs are an exception to this but next-gen systems are going to have far more of a problem with writable storage space than just readable for this genre.

"Data rich", you may have to clarify the term for me. For FMV a 1GB MPEG-2 file that Sony envisioned when planning the PS2 will now fit into 200MB for the same quality and resolution with advanced video compression codecs. That includes H.264 which Sony is using for UMD video. Enriched game graphics and audio will take up more space but as mentioned before Doom III, 1.5GB, pretty much fit onto a GameCube disc. If the Unreal 3 engine is a rough estimate of what Xenon will be capable ofa single DVD-9 should be fine unless you're using a lot of FMV, audio or high-res pre-rendered stills. If this is the case just increase the disc quantity it happened on PS1 for FMV (Final Fantasy), audio (MGS) and pre-rendered backgrounds (Resident Evil).

It's a bit misleading to do the comparison like this since these games all have to be made with the limitations of current hardware and storage capacities in mind. Relax ALL of those limitations and the question becomes how would they be made differently?
My point was specifically that the games at the end of a hardware generation don't vastly differ from those at the start in terms of storage capacity. My argument being Microsoft should have a good idea if 8.4GB will be adequate right now, in the planning stages for 1st generation software.

It's not so much a matter of whether you need to use ALL of the space blue-laser media offers, just a question of whether you could use more than DVD offers.
Disagree slighty, for me it's whether the extra storage capacity would be put to good use.

It's a tough call, I agree. But I think part of this assessment of cost benefit has to factor in which one gives you more room to grow into and what the longer term benefits are, as a result. Do you increase your storage space by a factor of 3-4 or do you increase CPU/GPU clockspeed by a factor of 1-2 (and most likely closer to 1)? Which one ultimately provides the best ROI?
The clock speed of the device/s would perhaps only be boosted 10%, I still see this or the addition of some RAM for that hypothetical $50, as preferential to the ability to store a few more gigabytes since I feel this space will be redundant for anything related to the core game. By adopting HD-DVD MS would be emphasising blue laser storage and video players as crucial, yet they will still have the "inferior" technology compared to Sony. It would be a matter of damage control not strength.

MS have the advantage of targeting US gamers first with a system that is likely to get its initial release 3 months earlier (November '05 US for Xenon, February '06 for JPN PS3). Yet, by the time PS3 reaches the west Microsoft's machine could well have a nine month headstart in the largest markets. To get a machine out that matches or is superior to PS3 in terms of graphics is likely to strike a far greater blow on Sony's monopoly than trying to match Sony in terms of storage. It may be a tough ask for MS to win those hearts and minds of gamers conditioned to believe 16 Megabit games are better than 8, CDs are better than cartridges and DVD is better than CD but if you have a machine that has roughly the same performance, comes out earlier and gives you the cost advantage, that could lead to a very good return on investment.

User 406

Banned
cja said:
MGS3 doesn't need far more storage space than MGS2 or Halo 2 versus 1, GTA San Andreas compared to GTA:III.

GTA3 was 2.3 GB. GTA:SA is going to require a dual layer disc. That's at least double the size if not more. And next generation, you're going to see far more detailed polygon models, far more detailed textures, and far more textures per scene.

DVD just won't cut it.

Due to lack of large amounts of RAM, there will be duplicate information all over the disc to speed up the streaming of data. If the next-gen systems have 256-512MB of RAM, and, perhaps, some sizable scratch space on-board, the need for such duplicate data will become less necessary. Guess we'll find out when the pirates get a hold of the disc and 'magically' resize the data for DVD-Rs and CD-Rs...

jarrod

Banned
Well, this is a surprising development... hopefully NEC/Toshiba can convince MS to go with it, it'd be nice if all 3 next gen consoles had a HD format. I'm still expecting Nintendo to go with a propietary Matsushitsa custom solution again though (probably full size and DVD/GOD compatible this time).

cja

Sea Manky said:
GTA3 was 2.3 GB. GTA:SA is going to require a dual layer disc. That's at least double the size if not more. And next generation, you're going to see far more detailed polygon models, far more detailed textures, and far more textures per scene.

DVD just won't cut it.
Staying with GTA as an example, Vice City was 4.35GB but if you look at what the data is taken up with numbers become far less impressive. 2.23GB, more than half the total space, is for data in the audio folder. The PS2 may have to spool pseudo-redbook because it can't spare a little processing power for mp3 but next-gen consoles will. The PS2 has no hardware texture or vertex compression, the 1.83GB used for models on the PS2 version would fit in less than 500MB of space on a GameCube disc. All of a sudden you're looking at a game that'll fit into around 1GB of space.

More detailed polygon models, far more detailed textures and far more textures per scene, all attributes that can be given to Doom III which fits onto 3CDs. Xenon is supposedly a year away, I don't see that hardware offering six times the texture quality of Doom III or six times the poly count or six times the scene detail.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Well PGR2 is 5.5gig according to my Xbox, i'd say most games will fit on 1 dvd next gen, a few wont though.

akascream

Banned
IMO media could prove really important this next gen. Sony could end up endlessly trying to push an unadopted medium. Again (*cough*minidisk*cough*).

At least with the PSP, its a handheld, and doesn't matter if its 100% unused elsewhere (watch Sony try and push it anyway).. but being a DVD player was a big selling point of PS2.

jarrod

Banned
akascream said:
IMO media could prove really important this next gen. Sony could end up endlessly trying to push an unadopted medium. Again (*cough*minidisk*cough*).

At least with the PSP, its a handheld, and doesn't matter if its 100% unused elsewhere (watch Sony try and push it anyway).. but being a DVD player was a big selling point of PS2.
Well that's the gamble... SCEI wants to repeat the early convergence push PS2/DVD enjoyed. Only while PS2 was pushed early on by virtue of being a low cost DVD solution (ie: the format was already fully embraced within the industry and by consumers), it'll be the reverse with PS3/BD and PSP/UMD, where they're banking on the strength of the PlayStation brand to actually get these formats accepted. Risky.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
What's with this belief developers won't need more space?

We already have games taking up all the space, and these new consoles are going to support 720p video. That'll consume a DVD like nothing.

Games like Final Fantasy will either have to come in like 5 disc dual layer DVD sets or be compressed like hell.

Since when is more space a bad thing?

Also keep in mind the difference between 480p and 720p is much bigger when you consider the aspect rations.

Both numbers are the smaller of the two dimensions. 480p is the 3 of 4:3, and 720p is the 9 of 16:9.

So the real difference is 640x480 to 1280x720. 720p requires 3 times the space.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
What's the point of new consoles if they're going to be 640x480?

If the competition, Sony, pays a little more for blue ray, then they'll have beautiful media with their games and there will be much higher consumer incentive to buy PS3 over Xbox2. So, yes you saved cash buy cutting media costs, but now no one will buy your console. You'll lose in the long run.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Ghost said:
Well PGR2 is 5.5gig according to my Xbox, i'd say most games will fit on 1 dvd next gen, a few wont though.

Having anything less than HD-DVD next gen will be a serious handicap for any of the console manufacturers... that is unless they ALL go with DVD (which is highly unlikely). If you look at the past generations, storage sizes have always way more than doubled each generation. In all likelyhood regular DVD just won't cut it. If Xbox 2 doesn't have HD-DVD (or something comparable) then its pretty much doomed IMO. You'll need that extra space for higher quality textures, character models, worlds, and stuff like that. If you start skimping on those things then it can easily bring the quality of a game down pretty quickly.

Actually, I'd say that of all the companies Nintendo is the most likely to screw up their storage medium next gen since they've already done it twice in a row now. The discs that the GC uses are often times too small and that causes developers to cut features (music tracks) or to ignore the system altogether. Don't get me wrong, the lack of any real piracy on the GC is great for Nintendo (and to a lesser extent 3rd parties) but Nintendo needs to achieve more of a balance (in addition to a bunch of other things) if they want to even try to be competitive next gen.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
The napkin-back calculations about how you can optimize data for next gen games are a little too fuzzy to counter the observed trend that, when given more space, developers find/encounter ways to use it. It's not like any console generation thus far didn't also have access to the same type of improvement in data optimization techniques over a previous generation and yet, despite the concurrent trend in improving and/or utilizing more data optimization techniques, games have continued to occupy more and more space, given the opportunity to do so.

jedimike

Since when is more space a bad thing?

Since manufacturers are using early adopters to front the costs of a non-industry standard optical drive. They're using gamers as pawns in their little war. That's bad for us because someone is going to lose.

I would rather the industry adopt a standard, blu-ray or hd-dvd, then offer that standard to consumers.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
cja said:
I'd argue timing is a lot tighter!
You're right - I understated it. But I think the intent here, at least in the case of HDDVD, IS to pursue a tighter schedule overall. Hence the emphasis on trying to reuse as much of existing DVD technology in manufacturing and assembly, for example. NEC and Toshiba talk up the angle that their technology will be cost efficient and will rapidly approach mass-market friendly levels. As I said in the beginning, this would surely be the best test of that.

"Data rich", you may have to clarify the term for me.
Bad term - trying to define the need to create more immersive situations through the input of additional data streams, not just by improving the quality of existing data streams (e.g. textures). If you think of the main character in GTA:VC standing on any given street in the game, think of all the things that could be done to make it more immersive. Most buildings are nothing more than inaccessible painted boxes that you may be able walk around and crawl over, but you simply can't go inside and explore. Windows aren't real, doors don't open. Even when you can go inside some buildings, much of the furniture is static and noninteractive. Encounters with most people on the street are based on extremely shallow decision trees. You have very limited state information that affects later interactions/events in the game relative to earlier actions taken. Vehicle models are incomplete - there's no in-car view, no ability to store items in any car....Etc., etc., etc.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
They're using gamers as pawns in their little war.
Like that's anything new? Last I checked I was forced to buy 3 separate pieces of hardware just to have access to all the best contemporary console games out there...

cja

kaching said:
You're right - I understated it. But I think the intent here, at least in the case of HDDVD, IS to pursue a tighter schedule overall. Hence the emphasis on trying to reuse as much of existing DVD technology in manufacturing and assembly, for example. NEC and Toshiba talk up the angle that their technology will be cost efficient and will rapidly approach mass-market friendly levels. As I said in the beginning, this would surely be the best test of that.
Yep, can't disagree with any of that. NEC/Toshiba would get a huge boost if they could get MS to adopt their format, just in terms of economies of scale. This story originated from the Japanese electronics companies which raises my suspicions that MS aren't too interested. Peter Moore said just a couple of days ago they were focused on making a gaming device. That doesn't sound like they want to go toe-to-toe with Sony on next-gen video formats.

Bad term - trying to define the need to create more immersive situations through the input of additional data streams, not just by improving the quality of existing data streams (e.g. textures). If you think of the main character in GTA:VC standing on any given street in the game, think of all the things that could be done to make it more immersive. Most buildings are nothing more than inaccessible painted boxes that you may be able walk around and crawl over, but you simply can't go inside and explore. Windows aren't real, doors don't open. Even when you can go inside some buildings, much of the furniture is static and noninteractive. Encounters with most people on the street are based on extremely shallow decision trees. You have very limited state information that affects later interactions/events in the game relative to earlier actions taken. Vehicle models are incomplete - there's no in-car view, no ability to store items in any car....Etc., etc., etc.
Thanks for the explanation. Perhaps its too early to argue all this but I don't mind the practice. I'm sure it'll be needed when MS and Nintendo use storage devices that don't have the capacity of PS3 :)

Raven.

Banned
I'll give my twocents:

1. GT4...

More detailed polygon models, far more detailed textures and far more textures per scene, all attributes that can be given to Doom III which fits onto 3CDs. Xenon is supposedly a year away, I don't see that hardware offering six times the texture quality of Doom III or six times the poly count or six times the scene detail.

More detailed polygon models? Really?

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™
Ghost said:

Based on the "scene" release :

PGR2 FULLDVD is 71x50 MB (+/- 3.5GB) and the Dvdrip (no movie and audio) is 79x20 MB (+/- 1.5GB)

GTA3 (PC only sorry) Full is 59x15 MB (+/-885MB)

GTAVC (PC) is 104x15 MB (+/-1.5GB) and GTAVC (PS2) is 56x50 MB (+/-2.7GB)

GTA : DoublePack (XBOX) is 35x50 MB (+/-1.5GB)

and a little bonus the ripped GTAVC on PC (no intro,no music,....) is only 35x50 MB (+/-250MB)

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
cja said:
Xenon is supposedly a year away, I don't see that hardware offering six times the texture quality of Doom III or six times the poly count or six times the scene detail.
Texture quality can mean anything. Six times as many polygons? It'll do that easily.

IJoel

It'll be interesting how this will turn out, as MS is both in a really good and really risky position.

The Good: HD-DVD needs this. They need it BADLY, since Blu-Ray has already been attached to the PS3. MS has both a licensed codec that will most likely end up being used for HD-DVD movies, and they will collect fees on this (they will do so for Blu-Ray as well, if used.) This, along with the fact that HD-DVD will need a good trojan to start getting this deployed, should give MS an edge in negotiating a very good deal, if they decide to adopt it.

The Risk: Blu-Ray ends up being adopted as the standard, and the HD-DVD is not recognized as an edge to Xbox 2 hardware, while Blu-Ray can become a huge boost for PS3 sales.

One thing I'm reluctant to believe is, however, that this will have a huge impact in sales. Why? Because I don't think this will have mass market appeal until after the next 3-4 years. Until then, the 'winning' console will have most likely gathered enough momentum for this issue to become crucial. This is my only doubt in this. To believe that either format will become a crucial selling point within the next 3 years when they haven't even been introduced to the mass market, seems a bit of wishful thinking (and believe me, I want to see either format get adopted because I'll be the first on line to buy my favorite movies on Hi-Def.)

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Milhouse31 said:
Based on the "scene" release :

PGR2 FULLDVD is 71x50 MB (+/- 3.5GB) and the Dvdrip (no movie and audio) is 79x20 MB (+/- 1.5GB)

GTA3 (PC only sorry) Full is 59x15 MB (+/-885MB)

GTAVC (PC) is 104x15 MB (+/-1.5GB) and GTAVC (PS2) is 56x50 MB (+/-2.7GB)

GTA : DoublePack (XBOX) is 35x50 MB (+/-1.5GB)

and a little bonus the ripped GTAVC on PC (no intro,no music,....) is only 35x50 MB (+/-250MB)

I didnt get my figure off of the scene i stuck the game in my Xbox and ripped it, so thats its actual size on the disc, the pirate copies must be slimlined somehow.

DOA3 was 4.5 gig, there is a lot of wasted space though, like on Halos DVD theres 400meg taken up just by the videos you see when you leave the menu idle for too long (because they are poorly compressed bink things).

Like i said earlier i think most games next gen will fit onto 1 dvd (might be a squeeze though)

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™
Ghost said:
I didnt get my figure off of the scene i stuck the game in my Xbox and ripped it, so thats its actual size on the disc, the pirate copies must be slimlined somehow.

Probably dummy files and copy protection stuff

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
cja said:
That doesn't sound like they want to go toe-to-toe with Sony on next-gen video formats.
But its not just a next-gen video format, its a next gen storage format...

Thanks for the explanation. Perhaps its too early to argue all this but I don't mind the practice. I'm sure it'll be needed when MS and Nintendo use storage devices that don't have the capacity of PS3 :)
*groans* Can't wait...one more reason to hope all consoles have blue-laser media next gen ;)

I think they'll need more than 1 dvd for a lot of games next gen. Doom 3 takes 4 CD's and I'm guessing that's because of the ingame video clips and hi rez textures. From what I remember there's no FMV in that game.

As far as I can tell any Blue Laser drive (HD-DVD or Blu Ray) are not going to be below $300 for a single drive (commercially) by the end of next year...

Assuming MS can get some sweet subsidy from the HD-DVD (or Blu-Ray I guess) camp - let's say $100 a drive(no danger!!) the hit for Xenon would *still* be massive, and MS would be back to square one - losing money per console. And that's not even considering that unless the medium they go with (50/50 choice) gets main stream adoption then the prices will NOT fall... so MS will be stuck with the hit. (Sony will be just the same with Blu-Ray)

The chances of getting a Blue Laser based drive for a fall 2005 Xenon launch are next to nonexistant...

That's assuming that fall 2005 is the launch date... that remains to be seen.

One thing to remember with regards to the adoption of Blu-Ray/HD-DVD - in the States HD TV is prevalant and becoming more so - in Europe it's NOT the case - there are only a few PAL HD equipped TV's now, and the schedule for change on that is positivley snail-pace.

HD-DVD/Blu-Ray will not be of any import in Europe till AT LEAST 2007-8.

IMO one things for sure - no blue laser drive in Xenon for a fall launch 2005.

Guaranteed.

Subitai

Seeing as how Fox just decided on Blu-Ray, I think MS would be taking an increasingly bigger risk not also going with it. There are at least 3 big studios commited to Blu-Ray now, and none with HD-DVD. There are also way more hardware providers doing Blu-Ray.

Seeing as how Fox just decided on Blu-Ray, I think MS would be taking an increasingly bigger risk not also going with it. There are at least 3 big studios commited to Blu-Ray now, and none with HD-DVD. There are also way more hardware providers doing Blu-Ray.

That's the thing though - FOX only joined the Blue-Ray forum to get their hand in the pie - they haven't decided which medium will get their backing as yet.

sun-drop

i think games are getting more and more 'feature rich' these days .. just look at the presentation we see in games comming out now ...

the likes of EA will surly put more storage to use .... with behind the scenes video... more music ..hell prob integrate a lot more music video content into games next gen as well ...

and with multiplatform titles most likely being a bit slice of whats on offer in the 1st year or so of these new platforms ... which version will u buy? ... the fully kitted out delux version on the console with the next-gen disc format ...or the one lacking certain extras?

how well did the slimmed down GC version of SSX tricky et all sell?

is part of the reason why GTA isn't on GC because of issues related to storage for music? ...

seeing as ps2 is going blu-ray a early launch xbox2 with a lesser storage format reeks of the DC situation .. i think to even make this "strike 1st" idea work is to go the low cost route and launch with a very cheep console ..so meh ..rock and a hard place ...

Firest0rm

Forget Blu-Ray and HD-DVD. Lets go with MODS! Thats the future of media storage! These babies can hold 1024 GB. And when I say future I mean future because their not coming out till 2010 :(.

Top Bottom