• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pope Benedict XVI defrocked nearly 400 priests for child abuse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piecake

Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I believe I remember hearing on the radio that no bishops or cardinals have been defrocked, even if they covered up crimes or actually engaged in them. Heard this was due to the special conception that Bishops have in the church.

Not an expert but priests are subjects to the Canon Law not the normal penal/civil law.
are you posting from the 15th century? This isn't true in any country and I don't think church courts have been the exclusive forum for trials of priests anywhere since the time of the French revolution/ mid 19th century.

canon law basically just is like a business's employee handbook now. Even in the Vatican itself criminals are handed over to the Italian police rather than handled directly by the church.

Samara

They really have to end that silly vow of celibacy requirement for priests and nuns.

Most people desire sexual satisfaction and if they want to keep it within marriage like other Christian denomination, do it and you'll still be fluffing your Scriptures on marital ethics. But full blown out vows of celibacy is ridiculous.

Vows of celibacy as requirements for clergy is not a requirement in the Bible at all. The reverse is true--elders and deacons--leaders in the early church--were to have wives and family, showing that if you can't handle your own family, how can you lead a congregation. These were recommendations, however, not law.

There,s a lot more that nuns and priest have to give up other than sex.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom