• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pope Francis: Church Should Apologize To Gays And Other Marginalized Groups

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll never understand why people are gushing for this pope, he says some not even progressive but common sense shit without following up on it with actual actions and people are just eating it up.

He's just more of the same which made me loathe the church from childhood on.
yep.
When you set the bar 2 inches, jumping a foot in the air looks impressive.

It's completely sad that Cool Pope is a thing, this guy ain't cool , he's just smarter about how he speaks than his predecessors.
yep.
This. Easy to adapt to current trends. Come at me with some real change and we will talk.

yep.

choodi

Banned
He's not.

The Church is a community.

He has been repeatedly scuppered in his attempts to soften the Church's stance on gay people by others within the hierarchy.

All of this is nice but ultimately empty until there's formal changes to the doctrinal approach to gay people.

Let's remember, just last week the Vatican finally accepted a representative from France having refused their first choice for months seemingly because he was gay.

The Doctrine of Papal Supremacy says otherwise.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papal_supremacy

Sorry for wikipedia link, but I'm on mobile and it was the best I could do at short notice. I can find a better reference if necessary.

I still dont undertand popes at all as a catholic.

Like the previous pope, Ratzinger/Benedict, wasnt really conservative and quite modern judging by his articles he wrote before he became Pope.
When he became Pope though, he was totally conservative.

Now this pope is different. From what I can gather he was totally conservative before, but after becoming Pope, his views changed.

azyless

I still dont undertand popes at all as a catholic.

Like the previous pope, Ratzinger/Benedict, wasnt really conservative and quite modern judging by his articles he wrote before he became Pope.
When he became Pope though, he was totally conservative.

Now this pope is different. From what I can gather he was totally conservative before, but after becoming Pope, his views changed.
I don't think his views have changed that much. He definitely has a better communication team than his predecessors though.

I don't think his views have changed that much. He definitely has a better communication team than his predecessors though.

He was still more conservative before unlike Ratzinger. He was actually quite progressive as you can see by the articles he wrote before he became Pope. As soon as he became Pope though, it was like a 180°.

isn't his stance on gay relationships always swinging back and forth, or was that only with gay marriage?

He's been relatively consistent in saying that gay people should be treated politely, but never told that homosexual relationships, sexual acts or marriages are valid. He urges Christians to push back against this.

azyless

He was still more conservative before unlike Ratzinger. He was actually quite progressive as you can see by the articles he wrote before he became Pope. As soon as he became Pope though, it was like a 180°.
More conservative than openly supporting anti lgbt rights groups and illegalization of abortion among other things ? Is the only thing required to be considered cool and progressive these days to say "hmm gay people are sinners but they don't deserve to be killed" while actively working against giving us equal rights ? The bar is pretty fucking low.

When you set the bar 2 inches, jumping a foot in the air looks impressive.

It's completely sad that Cool Pope is a thing, this guy ain't cool , he's just smarter about how he speaks than his predecessors.

Do you know the churches history throughout the last thousand years? If you do, maybe you could appreciate how radical and fast a departure this rhetoric has been.
I know that you specifically have used the argument against Sanders supporters many times that wanting change to fast is to unrealistic. You should appreciate the same argument when the wind blows the other way.

You're talking about a man who is a leader of a organization with more baggage than any others, upheld by old scriptures that he is not so easily able to change its meaning of. He is a very impressive pope, a very progressive religious leader, in both his embrace of science, social standards and self examination of the past.
Anyone who has thoroughly studied the church will tell you that this is a big deal, and not easily said without garning a lot of protest. And it matters. Because there are millions and millions of people who base their hate on LGBT and the like based on what it says in the bible. Veeining the followers of Christianity of that belief is not easy, but he has inserted small clever snippits throughout his tenure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom