• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pope reaches out to divorcees but holds line on gay marriage

Status
Not open for further replies.

DOWN

Banned
http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2016-...rcees-but-holds-line-on-homosexuality/7312482
Pope Francis has opted for no change in the Catholic approach to homosexuality but signalled a more open stance on cohabiting and divorced believers under new Church guidelines on family life.

In his 260-page Apostolic Exhortation, a long-awaited document which is likely to disappoint advocates of more radical change, the Pope strongly reiterates the Church's opposition to the legal recognition of gay relationships.

He said gay people should be respected, but firmly re-stated the Catholic Church's position that there are "absolutely no grounds" to equate gay unions to heterosexual marriage.

In the treatise — also known as Amoris Laetitia (The Joy of Love) — the Pope called for a Church that is less strict and more compassionate towards "imperfect" Catholics, such as those who divorced and remarried.

He quoted Martin Luther King, Argentine Poet Jorge Luis Borges and the 1987 Danish cult film Babette's Feast, to make his case for a more merciful and loving Church.

The keenest anticipation was around what he would say about the full re-integration into the Church of Catholics who divorce and remarry in civil ceremonies.

Under current Church teaching they cannot receive communion unless they abstain from sex with their new partner — because their first marriage is still valid in the eyes of the Church — and they are seen to be living in an adulterous state of sin.

The only way such Catholics can remarry is if they receive an annulment — a religious ruling that their first marriage never existed because of the lack of certain pre-requisites such as psychological maturity or free will.

"No-one can be condemned forever, because that is not the logic of the Gospel!" Pope Francis said.

"Here I am not speaking only of the divorced and remarried, but of everyone, in whatever situation they find themselves."
Y'all like to divorce so I guess that part of the bible doesn't matter much anymore. Good but silly.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Wouldn't be the Catholic Church if it didn't stay in line with the general public consensus... of 50 years ago.

Kas

I mean, he's a huge step forward from what we've had in the past as far as popes and moving forward of social issies, but you don't win every fight.

Hopefully the next pope changes that or maybe even Francis will have a change of heart.

Wouldn't be the Catholic Church if it didn't stay in line with the general public consensus... of 50 years ago.
Hey it could be worse. They could be lobbying for third bathrooms for trans people, denying the theory of evolution or calling for discriminating LGBT people because "religious liberty".

This Pope already openly admitted climate change is real! Trust me, it could be worse and it is already worse in many religious congregations in the US.

Hari Seldon

This wasn't an official doctrine update anyway. Basically it is guidance to bishops to chill out and be more lenient.

I mean, he's a huge step forward from what we've had in the past as far as popes and moving forward of social issies, but you don't win every fight.

Hopefully the next pope changes that or maybe even Francis will have a change of heart.

Do people have this assumption that the Vatican - or a Pope - can choose what to claim is sinful and what is not?

PSqueak

Banned
The Gospel has the what now?

I dunno what's puzzling you, traditionally judeo-christian religions preach about forgivenss and redemtion, even if some so called "believers" *cough cough americanchristians cough* don't preach it, the pope here is just saying "ya know guys, redemption forgiveness and salvation is at the reach of everyone, 'k?"

SeanC

About what I expected. I mean, he doesn't lambast gays or say they are horrible people destined to burn in hell at least. He's generally accepting and says everyone should be respected, which is kind of what he's always said. But there's no real change being pushed and probably never will be when it comes to the Church.

The best that can be hoped for is "live and let live" which he's always seemed pretty in line with, and if that message can at least go to the Catholics who feel homosexuality is a sin and gay people are horrible, then that's at least a step in the right direction in maybe changing that mentality. It's just one step forward, but not really an emphatic step forward which I think a lot of people are hoping for but will never get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom