• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT-11| A Dramatic Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Dead at Britney Blackout talk

Despite ongoing turmoil in her life that summer and fall -- including a disastrous performance at MTV's Video Music Awards -- Blackout arrived in October 2007. It proved to be her least successful album to date, charting three Top 40 hits but failing to achieve platinum certification within its first year of release.

Janet
But the real surprise came at song's end, when a gesture from Timberlake caused Jackson's costume to tear, exposing her right, pierced breast on live television to hundreds of millions of viewers.
The incident caused furious backpedaling and apologizing from Timberlake, Jackson, the NFL, CBS, and MTV, which swore no previous knowledge of the so-called "wardrobe malfunction," and led to speculation over how Damita Jo -- Jackson's upcoming album and her first in three years -- would be received. But while the controversy gave Jackson both grief and a bit of free advertising, it was also the impetus for a national debate on public indecency. A federal commission was set up to investigate prurience, the FCC enacted tougher crackdowns on TV and radio programs broadcasting questionable content, and suddenly everyone from pundits to politicians to the man in the street had an opinion on Janet Jackson's chest. Later that March, the singer quietly started making the talk show rounds. She was still apologizing for the incident, but she was also promoting Damita Jo, which Virgin issued at the end of the month. Largely considered a disappointment, the album nonetheless sold over two million copies worldwide and earned three Grammy nominations. 20 Y.O. followed two years later, and though it was reviewed more favorably than Damita Jo, it was off the Billboard 200 album chart after 15 weeks.

Brandy
The singer's fourth album, Afrodisiac, was released in 2004. Its lead single, "Talk About Our Love," was produced by Kanye West and peaked at number 36 on the Hot 100. Although the reviews were positive overall, the album didn't sell as well as any of her previous releases and the singer subsequently split from her longtime label. In December 2006, while driving on the San Diego Freeway, Brandy hit the car in front of her -- an accident that killed the driver and caused a four-car chain reaction.

Vazduh

I'm so happy someone reuploaded this Polish vintage classic of a clip. If you thought Selena, Rihanna and Katy sang badly, think again! The yelling <3 The hollering <3 The struggle.

AR1aZzU.gif

Original music video for the sake of comparison

Final Fantasy meme with Mandaryna's real, unfiltered vocals (from 1:03 onwards)

SaintZ

Mess, I thought she was a contestant of some obscure musical reality show but :death: @ her being a real "pop star".

Tragiqué.

Frodo

I love Katy, but maybe she should retire singing and.... I don't know, maybe start rapping?

I mean, if Iggy can make it, anyone can.

2qZtn2s.gif

That video was horrifying, btw.

Coolluck

I love Katy, but maybe she should retire singing and.... I don't know, maybe start rapping?

I mean, if Iggy can make it, anyone can.

2qZtn2s.gif

That video was horrifying, btw.

I'm so confused. Is that Katy or Zooey? But no. Katy Perry just needs some of that Teenage Dream magic and less of that generic Prism trash.

Wow those are official bios on TIDAl? I refuse to believe they're not fan submitted.

Also, can Britney make another album with Danja? Blackout is still her best.

Coolluck

TD is more generic than PRISM, it's just more listenable and candy pop than PRISM.

This argument would hold water for me if PRISM felt like it was trying to do anything like TPAB tried. PRISM has This Is How We Do and Roar. It was a second-rate TD that only branched out because they ran out of bubble gum stuck to the bottom of the table.

Vazra

Teenage Dream has E.T, Teenage Dream, Firework and California Gurls. PRISM has nothing in comparison.

Kevyt

Excuse me? You know you're in POPGAF, right? First everyone getting offended and now this?

naomi2onlna.gif

In other news...

Ck6pWlT.jpg

thefacelolx2r64.gif

Yup. I know. Which is fine, I love gifs!

For every post a new gif. Unwritten rules.

Extra points if it features your fave.

zpOdRhf.gif

Yas!

Understood.

Edit: is that your fave? o:

then get out the thread with that 56k AOL connection bye bitch

fc028fc2ae.gif
fc028fc2ae.gif

Never! People PC 60k Dial-up ftw!!! :3

----------------------------

Shania Twain is coming to DC, and I really would love to go but I don't want to look at ticket prices. They're gonna be pricey.

shania-twain-o.gif

Edit: $175 for floor seating, not too bad.

This argument would hold water for me if PRISM felt like it was trying to do anything like TPAB tried. PRISM has This Is How We Do and Roar. It was a second-rate TD that only branched out because they ran out of bubble gum stuck to the bottom of the table.
Oh no I completely agree TD is the better album, but it's also more generic imp.
Hilary's alber tracklist

11351874_840026412758015_1696212694_n.jpg

Chasing the Sun & All About You were axed. #Justice4AllAboutYou
No Tinder interlude? &#128064;

Hilary's alber tracklist

11351874_840026412758015_1696212694_n.jpg

Chasing the Sun & All About You were axed. #Justice4AllAboutYou

She's really looking great. Isn't the front cover mostly a black and white shot of her though? Kinda reminiscent of the I Am Sasha Fierce cover? This seems like a disjointed look and feel overall when putting the two together.

Still, can't fault how good she looks.

rhandino

Banned
I don't know, for me PRISM >>> Teenage Dream...

Dark Horse and Legendary Lovers are so flawless and Walking on Air serves Mariah Carey "[ ] Def Club Remix" a lot.

I can't deny that Teenage Dream is a little more memorable tho and even so I listened to PRISM a lot more than Teenage Dream... oh well, both are the kind of pop that I enjoy to listen after long days of work and in general, so upbeat =D

kcUnsij.gif

... and nobody is going to talk about One of the Boys isn't, kii!

Vazra

I don't know, for me PRISM >>> Teenage Dream...

Dark Horse and Legendary Lovers are so flawless and Walking on Air serves Mariah Carey "[ ] Def Club Remix" a lot.

I can't deny that Teenage Dream is a little more memorable tho and even so I listened to PRISM a lot more than Teenage Dream... oh well, both are the kind of pop that I enjoy to listen after long days of work and in general, so upbeat =D

kcUnsij.gif

... and nobody is going to talk about One of the Boys isn't, kii!

Teenage Dream only shit song was Pearl and the others were bops or usable inoffensive tracks. PRISM literally has 3 decent songs at best and they dont compare to the TD songs.

Also One of The Boys IMO is the most fitting sound to her voice but most of the album had filler. The Pop Rock ish sound works better for her faulty vocals since she could get away with a few of her issues since she could simply give it with the energy of that era. IKAG, Waking Up In Vegas, Hot and Cold and Thinking of You shit on Prism carcass

and kii at Katy having better discography than Gaga when people expected her to be a one hit wonder.

rhandino

Banned
Teenage Dream only shit song was Pearl and the others were bops or usable inoffensive tracks. PRISM literally has 3 decent songs at best and they dont compare to the TD songs.

Also One of The Boys IMO is the most fitting sound to her voice but most of the album had filler. The Pop Rock ish sound works better for her faulty vocals since she could get away with a few of her issues since she could simply give it with the energy of that era. IKAG, Waking Up In Vegas, Hot and Cold and Thinking of You shit on Prism carcass
I can agree with this...

Yet I still don't get your disdain on PRISM, mostly because for me it has a lot a very good, fun and usable list of songs.

A quick ranking from me would be:

FLAWLESS
"Legendary Lovers"  
"Birthday"  
"Walking on Air"  
"Dark Horse"
"International Smile"  
"Double Rainbow"  
"This Is How We Do"

GOOD
"Roar"  
"Unconditionally"

CUTE
"Ghost"  
"Love Me"
"By the Grace of God"

BORING TRASH
"This Moment"

PRISM is really good.

------

Also people, get perched for the Pop album of 2015
sorry Kellegend T_T

viYiNDl.jpg

royalan

Carly will be forgotten because anybody cares about 2 of those names you just mentioned?

And the other name killed her career an album ago.

Sis, they're all in the same #Forgotten club.

Vazra

Carly will be forgotten because anybody cares about 2 of those names you just mentioned?

And the other name killed her career an album ago.

Sis, they're all in the same #Forgotten club.

Im sure Lana will do fine. Foxes will produce a good album with cult following and Ivy Levan can happen if she plays the cards right.

royalan

Lana's next album will flop. She'll do something movie related, and that too will flop. She's killed her career and there's nothing she can do about it from this point.

Save the post.

Vazra

No no nooo...

I asked you a question.

Let me repeat it:

Did any of those names you mentioned have a Billboard Hot 100 #1 in the last year?

Lana did 17 by HERSELF with West Coast. 22 with Young and Beautiful
Xtina "The Legend" by HERSELF 20 with Your Body and 71 with Just A Fool.

Also let us compare the reception of the last albums by each artist.
a2fe7b4ec7.png

0b34b7499e.png

With Lotus the album by Legend X only has 12 critics?

The tea is there but if you wanna play with the feature artist receipt (the only thing you can use these days) then sure Xphincter wins.

3phemeral

I can't get into Lana's music no matter how many times I try.

This is the first song I listened to that I actually liked. After that, I liked Ride after listening to the bridge but beyond that, I haven't really gotten into anything else because I feel I have to be in one of those moods to "enjoy" it.

Floridian

This is the first song I listened to that I actually liked. After that, I liked Ride after listening to the bridge but beyond that, I haven't really gotten into anything else because I feel I have to be in one of those moods to "enjoy" it.

Yeah I like that remix along with this one . It's not that her original songs are bad, it's just that it doesn't hold my interest for long.

Vazra

You did everything but answer the question.

Did any of those names you mentioned have a Billboard Hot 100 #1 in the last year?
I did answer by saying that you won there but in the rest she doesn't win. She should focus on being the judge and being a featured artist as her solo career is not doing much like Ciara. At least Ciara has a modeling career and the new TV show that apparently had nice ratings.

Also LOL at Mariah doing worse numbers that Ciara's "Jackie".

royalan

I did answer by saying that you won there but in the rest she doesn't win. She should focus on being the judge and being a featured artist as her solo career is not doing much like Ciara. At least Ciara has a modeling career and the new TV show that apparently had nice ratings.

Also LOL at Mariah doing worse numbers that Ciara's "Jackie".

So.

You agree?

None of those flops you just mentioned can top a chart?

tFEnWAU.jpg

3phemeral

Why are people shocked that Mariah's 4th Greatest Hits release with only a single new track isn't stacking up against brand new releases?

RfgJq6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom