• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT4| asdfjkl;asdfjkl;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
3 hours and 30 minutes

i2UPQcvDtuUQG.gif

botty

Banned
Nicki Minaj
"If Mariah Carey was concerned that Nicki Minaj might show her up, she was right. Minaj ... grabs attention the moment the camera lights come on. She'll be the most polarizing part of the show's 12th season ... The show's long-suffering, more conservative audience may hate her, even to the point of tuning out the show, but the viewers who can see past her outrageous outfits and mood-ring hair color will find a woman who has a very clear vision of what she wants to find in a contestant — as well as a heart full of compassion for the socially awkward people the show attracts. She may take some getting used to, but Minaj has the potential to be the best judge 'Idol' has seen since about two years before Simon Cowell jumped ship." — Brian Mansfield,
USAToday

Because of the editing and the hype, we may never know just how problematic the ladies on the panel are, but Mariah's seemingly overstated antics and Nicki's eye-rolling at least made for compelling (for these two hours, at least) television.
E!

So what do the new judges bring to the table? Minaj showcases her colorful flair -- she’s funny, unfiltered, and clearly on the hunt for more than just a passable vocalist. She also encourages the bad singers to continue their auditions, and afterwards, flirts with them as if to cushion the blow rejection. Even her British accent (aka alter-ego Roman) gives her a certain distance from their imminent rejection.
HollywoodReporter

Before Wednesday night's "American Idol" season 12 debut, all we really knew was that new judges Mariah Carey and Nicki Minaj were probably not going to be recording another duet anytime soon. With the attention focused squarely on the bickering between the old- and new-school divas, fellow newbie country singer Keith Urban and the contestants were mostly left on the backburner.

Mariah Carey And Nicki Minaj Feud Starts Early In 'American Idol' Premiere
And the premiere didn't disappoint, as Minaj and Carey went at it from the moment they sat down, sniping and snapping all through the two hour show as they tried to sometimes turn their attention to the wannabe singers. The good news is that Minaj and Urban both emerged as likeable, relevant judges with lots to say and refreshing ways to say it. And Mariah was mostly just regal Mariah, which is exactly what her Lambs love about her.
MTV

I'm your idol
i'm your idol
i'm your m-thaf-ck-ng idol

iwzyCefphNZP7.gif

Bladenic

Update: “American Idol” declined significantly in the adults 18-49 demo, delivering just a 6.0 for its season premiere. Last season kicked off with a 7.4. The show attracted 17.8 million viewers for its two hour telecast.

A flop. I don't know how much more evidence that the execs will need before realizing that extremely overpayed celebrities being on your show does not equal ratings. I mean, during the show's juggernaut ages it had the show's creator, a nobody, and an extremely washed-up and way past her prime singer/dancer.

Anyway, I'm kinda hyped for Gaga now, she better deliver (she probably won't).

botty

Banned
A flop. I don't know how much more evidence that the execs will need before realizing that extremely overpayed celebrities being on your show does not equal ratings. I mean, during the show's juggernaut ages it had the show's creator, a nobody, and an extremely washed-up and way past her prime singer/dancer.

Despite singing show saturation, being in its twelfth season, and having a predominantly black panel of judges... the show was still #1 for the night, and has been getting great reviews. The show still managed to also have far more viewers than Flop Factor or The Voice.

Bye.

Bladenic

Despite singing show saturation, being in its twelfth season, and having a predominantly black panel of judges... the show was still #1 for the night, and has been getting great reviews. The show still managed to also have far more viewers than Flop Factor or The Voice.

Bye.

Duh, I didn't mean it's ratings were a flop. I meant the new judges brought on to surely boost ratings was a flop decision. Paying Mariah 20 million was a flop decision.

But obviously the show still gets great ratings. Like everything in entertainment TV ratings are way down across the board, and AI is still among the top (but not the juggernaut it once was). I highly doubt we will ever see the day AI is a complete flop ratings wise, based on name alone it will survive.

botty

Banned
slayed so hard that people didn't even watch

bye

I can't at you saying this. Do I need to bring up the various receipts of the shows you watch, and how their ratings have severely declined after a single season? Your fave shows would wish for a quarter of Idol's ratings, and yet I bet you think they still slay.

Artemisia

Banned
I can't at you saying this. Do I need to bring up the various receipts of the shows you watch, and how their ratings have severely declined after a single season? Your fave shows would wish for a quarter of Idol's ratings, and yet I bet you think they still slay.

You can stop acting like you care about american idol and are not defending it just because Garbaj is on it.

Every year more people are realizing that Fantasia was a once-in-a-lifetime event and nothing will ever reach the heights of her flawless season.

Did Babaji lie?
Maybe. All I know is that ratings started decreasing after a certain Ms. Underworld won. It's as if the nation suddenly decided to stop rewarding such peasantry.

Did America lie?

Artemisia

Banned
oh yeah she is releasing an album this year... probably before this season of AI is over.

a shame she is letting promotion and sales rush her music.

botty

Banned
You can stop acting like you care about american idol and are not defending it just because Garbaj is on it.

The hypocrisy. The only reason you are coming for idol right now is to attack Nicki. Despite your feeble attempts, Nicki is getting the best reviews, and people were here for her. After idol last night, a few of Nicki's songs rose on itunes... with Super Bass moving 30+ spots up.

Stay pressed as the King keeps winning.

ibhwBtpAcdD0ZC.gif

2 hours left for BURQA The Applause to be announced as the lead single
i2UPQcvDtuUQG.gif

Artemisia

Banned
The sad part is there actually is some interesting people, America just votes them all of in favor of the white guy with the guitar.

RIP Haley Reinhart

28alt1wdwu7p.gif

The hypocrisy. The only reason you are coming for idol right now is to attack Nicki. Despite your feeble attempts, Nicki is getting the best reviews, and people were here for her. After idol last night, a few of Nicki's songs rose on itunes... with Super Bass moving 30+ spots up.

Stay pressed as the King keeps winning.

30 spots from where?

It's not even in the top 100.

Dismissed.

Looks like idol promo worked for someone else tho

45 Ellie Goulding - Anything Could Happen

rise up halcyon rise, this is the beginning

botty

Banned
30 spots from where?

It's not even in the top 100.

Dismissed.

Looks like idol promo worked for someone else tho

45 Ellie Goulding - Anything Could Happen

rise up halcyon rise, this is the beginning

Super Bass is already one of the best selling singles of all time, and two years old. I am kinda surprised that it moved at all.

Artemisia

Banned
Super Bass is already one of the best selling singles of all time, and two years old. I am kinda surprised that it moved at all.

What does it take to be considered a best selling single of all time? Starships sold more. and that's in the 5-7 million range.

5 random fans will be selected? Gawd that sounds like such a mess. They'll probably be screaming over her the entire time.

I'm excited to hear that she'll be announcing her first single in May!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom