• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT4| asdfjkl;asdfjkl;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
icjtTCtHUZr4V.gif

What you should know is that Trouble has just passed S&T

maybe Scream and Shout will pass it next
iLop8HLL6mkbU.gif

Mumei

Source

They raise some interesting points. This one in particular was my favorite:

"The possibility that she’s an extremely powerful woman who works in a sexist industry ... and is constantly navigating how to assert her own agency while resisting/accommodating/subverting the world’s expectations of her is not entertained."

Discuss.

ibnGGcfXyPhN5N.gif

There's a reason Feministing is a blog I check for.

Servbot24

Banned
@MarinasDiamonds: Nicki Minaj is unbearable
Why am I not the least bit surprised that girl takes everything too seriously. I don't even like Minaj's music but she's fairly entertaining as a judge.

Here I am just assuming she's talking about Idol but w/e

Satch

Banned
I don't trust popgaf to be able to have a thorough and meaningful discussion about feminism, womanism, intersectionality, the recognition of female agency, and sexuality as it pertains to the ownership of the self, Koodo.

Do you?

but i appreciate that some here understand that feminism doesn't necessarily have to come fully clothed

botty

Banned
I don't trust popgaf to be able to have a thorough and meaningful discussion about feminism, womanism, intersectionality, the recognition of female agency, and sexuality as it pertains to the ownership of the self, Koodo.

Do you?

but i appreciate that some here understand that feminism doesn't necessarily have to come fully clothed

There is no discussion to be had. Beyonce has never claimed to be a feminist, therefore the article that is being criticized by the above blogpost is wrong.

Had the article talked about Beyonce's hypocrisy, stealing, or how bad of an album "4" was... then it would have been right. However, as it stands, that article is just the squawking of a judgmental pseudo-feminist.

Did I lie?

iReI9DtgAN14.gif

Satch

Banned
exhibit a:

There is no discussion to be had. Beyonce has never claimed to be a feminist, therefore the article that is being criticized by the above blogpost is wrong.

Had the article talked about Beyonce's hypocrisy, stealing, or how bad of an album "4" was... then it would have been right. However, as it stands, that article is just the squawking of a judgmental pseudo-feminist.

Did I lie?

iReI9DtgAN14.gif

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_

Did I lie?

iReI9DtgAN14.gif

ooop, clocked

ijJAF0qH4TVBh.gif

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
So I enter to see botty talking BS AGAIN!!

The whole bleaching thing is just stupid - just coz she's black, does it mean she has to be jet black. She has always been very light-skinned. Look at her mum.

ch... so now that you are in Neogaf we can no longer kick you from plug.dj

i66B7RIh3d3hM.gif

royalan

Do you?

I think generalizing all criticism of Beyonce as simple bitching about her posing nude is taking the easy way out. Especially in the context of who gets stanned regularly here in PopGAF. I in particular would be a hypocrite, since I believe that Xtina of all people has been a positive feminist figure and she's spent the bulk of her career butt-ass-naked.

Also, if the article from The Guardian is guilty of assuming the worst, this piece is guilty of only assuming the best intent on Beyonce's part. Hell, they're practically stanning at several points in the discussion. Well, she's Beyonce and thus awesome so why didn't the author of that article consider that she bla bla bla whatever."

I read it this morning. It is an opposing view, no more valid than the piece it's criticizing. I have nothing else to say about it.

My ritualistic dragging of the Creole Soup Kitchen Maven known as Beyonce will continue unimpeded.

Mumei

But how many songs do you use off of 4?

z63MU.gif

I think generalizing all criticism of Beyonce as simple bitching about her posing nude is taking the easy way out. Especially in the context of who gets stanned regularly here in PopGAF. I in particular would be a hypocrite, since I believe that Xtina of all people has been a positive feminist figure and she's spent the bulk of her career butt-ass-naked.

Hypocrisy is the watch-word of stanning.

Also, if the article from The Guardian is guilty of assuming the worst, this piece is guilty of only assuming the best intent on Beyonce's part. Hell, they're practically stanning at several points in the discussion. Well, she's Beyonce and thus awesome so why didn't the author of that article consider that she bla bla bla whatever."

I read it this morning. It is an opposing view, no more valid than the piece it's criticizing. I have nothing else to say about it.

I think we can separate their characterization of The Guardian article (accurate) with their speculations on Beyoncé's awesomeness (speculative stanning), sure. But it is not "no more valid"; the article arguing that she's hurting feminism by being seen in her underwear is hurting feminism is baseless.

They were right in their criticisms of Freeman's article, though.

royalan

Hypocrisy is the watch-word of stanning.

I think we can separate their characterization of The Guardian article (accurate) with their speculations on Beyoncé's awesomeness (speculative stanning), sure. But it is not "no more valid"; the article arguing that she's hurting feminism by being seen in her underwear is hurting feminism is baseless.

They were right in their criticisms of Freeman's article, though.

I would still believe Xtina was a positive feminist figure even if I didn't stan her.

I disagree that the article slamming Bey was baseless, though. Though, I see two different issues being argued here. Feministing seems to be focusing on Bey having the right of agency and controlling her image and doing whatever the fuck she wants. This is true.

I think Freeman's position was more examining the perception of Beyonce's choices. Beyonce has the right to do whatever she wants, but the apparently hypocrisy in bitching about men defining sexy while appearing perfectly photoshopped, lightened, tucked and borderline nude on the cover of a men's magazine is something that I don't find necessarily wrong to criticize. It's like when parents lecture their children on the dangers of smoking while taking long drags of a cigarette.

Feministing is right in that women have every right to want to be seen as sexy. Then again...I wonder if Beyonce will be posing in an animal print thong with her titties exposed on the cover of Vogue next month...

EDIT: I also cackle at people defending Beyonce from "slut shaming" when Beyonce herself has done her fair share of slut shaming throughout her career. I guess when it's her turn to wear a pair of daisy dukes and toot that ass for men we're supposed to look the other way. A hypocrite and a disgrace.

Mumei

Oh, botty, I forgot to respond to you. I use I Care, Best Thing I Never Had, Rather Die Young, Love On Top, Countdown, End of Time, and Schoolin' Life.

I disagree that the article slamming Bey was baseless, though. Though, I see two different issues being argued here. Feministing seems to be focusing on Bey having the right of agency and controlling her image and doing whatever the fuck she wants. This is true.

Yes.

I think Freeman's position was more examining the perception of Beyonce's choices. Beyonce has the right to do whatever she wants, but the apparently hypocrisy in bitching about men defining sexy while appearing perfectly photoshopped, lightened, tucked and borderline nude on the cover of a men's magazine is something that I don't find necessarily wrong to criticize. It's like when parents lecture their children on the dangers of smoking while taking long drags of a cigarette.

I agreed with this:

That’s my main problem: of all the things you could possibly discuss about that profile, Freeman chose to focus on the most boring one. I mean, of course Beyoncé is half-naked on the cover of GQ. Kinda like how she is in many of her music videos. Kinda like basically every other pop star today. It’s one thing to bemoan the fact the fact that the sexist objectification machine is so extreme that even women who are famous for other things, like, say, playing sports or being pundits, are often sexualized by others or sexualize themselves. Even in the latter case, though, I’d generally recommend not being a judgmental, slut-shaming asshole towards other women, since, ya know, the whole point is that there is strong cultural pressure to conform to this expectation. But pop stars? Please. Beyoncé’s image–which, yes, is damn sexy–is part of her multimillion-dollar career. Call me if Hillary Clinton starts doing strip dances for the Austrian ambassador or something, and maybe we’ll stage a feminist intervention.​

And this is what I was talking about: For you, Christina doing the exact - lightening aside - same things when posing for men's magazines doesn't seem to make you think she's hypocritical when she's either talked about similar issues or written songs about it. Why not?

I also cackle at people defending Beyonce from "slut shaming" when Beyonce herself has done her fair share of slut shaming throughout her career. I guess when it's her turn to wear a pair of daisy dukes and toot that ass for men we're supposed to look the other way. A hypocrite and a disgrace.

I'm drawing a blank here.

I told no lies, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom