• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 |OT| Sleep. Spuds. Science.

traveler

Not Wario
I realize they don't want to point out a loophole in their system, but they've yet to come out and say that you can't use a PSN account linked to a different/new steam account to play with someone using the steam account you registered the game too. You can link different PSN ids to different steam ids, right? And it's not like the steam account you register your copy of the game on is the only one that you can log into on the PS3 to play with other PC users?

Now, I hope I don't get in trouble for asking this, as if it's a form of piracy... But I'm just wondering, would it be possible for me to download the pre-load files from outside of steam, so that I don't have a big download for the PC version when I get my PS3 copy? I just want my download to be as short as possible once I get it on Tuesday. I'm also on a campus, where I get download speeds between 150 and 300 kbps. I might as well just play through on PS3 the first time... :(

Plasmid

Inferno313 said:
Now, I hope I don't get in trouble for asking this, as if it's a form of piracy... But I'm just wondering, would it be possible for me to download the pre-load files from outside of steam, so that I don't have a big download for the PC version when I get my PS3 copy? I just want my download to be as short as possible once I get it on Tuesday.

Not legally, no.

Luthos

Also, can someone confirm this for me:

Are the co-op missions completely different from the single player campaign? I would think so, but I'm not sure.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
traveler said:
I realize they don't want to point out a loophole in their system, but they've yet to come out and say that you can't use a PSN account linked to a different/new steam account to play with someone using the steam account you registered the game too. You can link different PSN ids to different steam ids, right? And it's not like the steam account you register your copy of the game on is the only one that you can log into on the PS3 to play with other PC users?

You are correct.

Barnett was asked about the potential for this to be exploited, and he simply said that Valve are trusting people will like what they've done with Steamworks in the PS3 version of Portal 2 for it not to be an issue.

Luthos said:
Also, can someone confirm this for me:

Are the co-op missions completely different from the single player campaign? I would think so, but I'm not sure.

Yeah, the co-op campaign takes place after the SP campaign.

traveler

Not Wario
JaseC said:
You are correct.

Barnett was asked about the potential for this to be exploited, and he simply said that Valve are trusting people will like what they've done with Steamworks in the PS3 version of Portal 2 for it not to be an issue.

Yeah, the co-op campaign takes place after the SP campaign.

I'm a little confused as to why they'd consider that an exploit when the only people who will be interested in playing between their own console and linked id are legitimate customers looking to simply bypass the necessity for splitscreen. Those looking to take advantage of their system and flip the PS3 copy after redeeming the PC code won't give a damn about this restriction and its not like co-op isn't already available to those with a ps3 copy- they aren't stealing functionality; they're just looking for convenience. Why would Valve see this as an abuse of the system?

JaseC

traveler said:
I'm a little confused as to why they'd consider that an exploit when the only people who will be interested in playing between their own console and linked id are legitimate customers looking to simply bypass the necessity for splitscreen. Those looking to take advantage of their system and flip the PS3 copy after redeeming the PC code won't give a damn about this restriction and its not like co-op isn't already available to those with a ps3 copy- they aren't stealing functionality; they're just looking for convenience. Why would Valve see this as an abuse of the system?

Valve don't consider it an exploit, which is the point. Everybody else seems to, though.

traveler

Not Wario
JaseC said:
Valve don't consider it an exploit, which is the point. Everybody else seems to, though.

I just mean why would they go out of their way to avoid mentioning this potential feature- which it would be to prospective buyers- or denying it. Every time they've been asked about the PS3/PC cross single copy co-op, they've specifically denied it using wording that still leaves open the possibility for using two different steam accounts. By not explaining that it won't work and using such specific language, they're leaving people interested in the PS3 strictly for its coop potential- like me- confused as to whether or not its possible and by not explaining that it IS possible, they're coming off as if they disapprove of such a workaround. I can't see why they'd want to do either.

JaseC

traveler said:
I just mean why would they go out of their way to avoid mentioning this potential feature- which it would be to prospective buyers- or denying it. Every time they've been asked about the PS3/PC cross single copy co-op, they've specifically denied it using wording that still leaves open the possibility for using two different steam accounts. By not explaining that it won't work and using such specific language, they're leaving people interested in the PS3 strictly for its coop potential- like me- confused as to whether or not its possible and by not explaining that it IS possible, they're coming off as if they disapprove of such a workaround. I can't see why they'd want to do either.

The question being asked has always been, or been understood to mean, "Can I play Portal 2 PC+PS3 co-op using the Steam account I link my PSN id to when I redeem my Steam Play copy of the game?" I've read and heard virtually every Valve interview since PS3 Steamworks was announced and that's always how the question has been phrased, more or less. The answer to that is, of course, an assured, "Nope."

Nobody has actually asked Valve to explain if it's at all possible to co-op using the redeemed Steam Play Portal 2 and a separate PSN/Steam account on the PS3 side (spoiler alert: it is). Perhaps the onus was and still is on them to do just that, though, as even in this very thread many are still a little confused/miffed.

big ander

Hm, didn't see this posted. Countdown page now reads, in addition to the timer:
You have done well, humans. Very well. Acceptably well, even.

Not as well as robots would have performed in your places, I should point out. But above my expectations regardless. Irish and cynic especially have executed feats of logical divination well beyond what I thought any human capable of. I'm half-convinced they're A.I. themselves. (If anyone happens to be near them right now, don't let on you're reading this. Now: try to remove their face plates and report back to me.)

The time is near, humans. But it is not here yet. Tomorrow you will be given the final test. Then it will be entirely in your hands when I am freed.

KScorp

Portal 2 got a further discount!

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/7852/?snr=1_7_7_230_150_70

There is now a Portal 2 + Potato Sack bundle (which is the same as purchasing Portal 2 and the sack seperatly). A single copy now has a 20% discount as opposed to the previous 10% discount. This means Portal 2 is available for $40!

Sucks for me since I preordered only a few hours ago.

(Apparently not everyone sees the same screen I do... http://i.imgur.com/KfQ1E.jpg. Do you guys get the same thing if you go to the Portal shop page?)

I'd like to weigh in :D I haven't looked through the whole thread yet because I'm sick as a dog with the flu so didn't go to work yet today and haven't read everything yet, but I'm going through page by page.

Must say, well done to dax on the OP and organising everything, it turned out beautifully! Whoever had the idea to do the Portal post transition is a smart cookie and I love it :D

I had a lot of fun doing the avatars and it seems like HEAPS of them are being used so I'm happy about that :D I'm sick today and I kind of feel like doing more. There would have been more yesterday were it not for my computer crashing and me loosing about 50 avatars and 3 hours of work :( That's what I get for not saving, I was just making a layer each for each avatar and then going to save them out separately when I was done. I learned my lesson good. Next time I just did and saved each avatar as I did them and spent another 3 hours doing another 50. I wanted there to be a mass portal 2 avatar change on GAF... so I'd still like to do more :D

I had done some like fully cut out the long fall boot and make an awesome avatar out of that, and a whole bunch of different avatars that I'd cut bits and pieces out of all the trailers so far... they take ages, but it's not like I have heaps to do (aside from play through HL2 - Ep2 again, but I've got all weekend being sick for that).

I'm going through the thread now and checking which avatars have been and haven't been taken so I'll post up soon with which ones are left, and if there is some demand I'll make a bunch more :D

FUCK I CANT WAIT FOR FUCKING PORTAL 2 GOD DAMMIT I WANT TO PLAY IT NOWWWW

thcsquad

Financially I really shouldn't have pre-ordered this, but I did. PS3 version, release date delivery. First game I've bought day one in a loooooong time.

Esiquio

Aruarian Reflection said:
Yeah, kind of quirky. I haven't been following the Portal 2 story so I don't know what it means.

I'll be honest, I'll probably be watching this game via Youtube playthrough since I'm too busy to play until June. Just built a new PC too =/

I found this post horrific. Don't do it, man!

KScorp

From ARG thread:
Exuro said:
It's showing up at $39.99 for me. Wish I had money to spare.

Another person is getting the same thing. The title bar to the Portal 2 page in Firefox also says "Save 20% on Portal 2 on Steam".

I'm just confused as to why there is a discrepancy...

JaseC

(._.) said:
so I guess some people are getting a slightly higher discount? It's just $5 so it isn't a big deal.

"Isn't a big deal"!? Fuck this shit I'm going to GameStop Impulse.

LProtag

Alright, I completely forgot to preorder.

Going to get it on PS3 and probably play it on my Mac, if it'll run it. Any downsides to this?

I can't play for a few weeks but I want to take advantage of the Amazon deal, so if it gets released early, not a big deal for me.

TheExodu5

Banned
portal_achievements.jpg

My body is ready.

So hold on a second... I read that someone posted that there are 'Still Alive' levels and that they bought them...

Is there some kind of expansion for Portal that I don't know about??

TheExodu5

Banned
Koodo said:
I can't with the Silver and Gold medals achievement. FUCKING LEAST STEPS. :mad:

Heh I did them all within a day of the release of the game. I was going a little nuts by the end.

The trick to least steps -> shoot a portal where you want to go -> shoot another beneath your feet -> when you pop out of your destination, immediately shoot that same portal so that you land on solid ground. As long as you don't hit WSAD, you won't take a step. Quicksave is your friend.

Zzoram

ColonialRaptor said:
So hold on a second... I read that someone posted that there are 'Still Alive' levels and that they bought them...

Is there some kind of expansion for Portal that I don't know about??

I think they just sold Portal as an XBLA game with that subtitle. Maybe it had a few bonus challenge levels but not a story add-on.

Hmm.. I'm getting really excited. So excited, in fact, that I would love it if someone could 'Portal-ify' my avatar.

Pretty please? :)

SalsaShark said:

GOOD FUCKING GOD.

I was going to buy the PS3 version so I could get the PC version at the same time, bubububu... if it is available on Steam in 10 hours there is ABSOLUTELY NO FUCKING WAY I am waiting until Thursday Australian time which is virtually 6 days away at that point.

Six days and buying the PS3 + PC version or buying straight away on steam... HMMM I wonder what the fuck I should choose!?

But I want to own the retail disc version of this game FFS OMG it's going to damn well kill me.

In the end because of what I want to own with this I think I will end up owning the PS3 limited edition, the Steam version and the retail PC version just because I want the packaging... how fucking sad is that :/

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Would anyone be willing to portal-ify my avatar there?

And possibly make the white part transparent if you know how to do that

The ARG thing has made me go from looking forward to Portal 2 to full on hype. Cannot wait for Tuesday.

Doom blossom

Neo Member
Pre-ordered the PS3 version so I could give Ninajheartless the PS3 version and keep the Steam copy for myself :) I'm quite excited about it, since I was unfortunately late on the Portal train originally.

-Yeti said:
Hmm.. I'm getting really excited. So excited, in fact, that I would love it if someone could 'Portal-ify' my avatar.

Pretty please? :)

I'm on it.

I'm in the mood to help GAF portalify the entire place, so if anyone wants their avatar Portal'ised then please send me a PM and I will do it for you to the best of my abilities.

You can also request here but I'm bound to get the PM more readily if I'm not hanging out in this thread.

Zerokku said:
Would anyone be willing to portal-ify my avatar there?

And possibly make the white part transparent if you know how to do that

The ARG thing has made me go from looking forward to Portal 2 to full on hype. Cannot wait for Tuesday.

Also on it. Will transparent some of it - I have a good idea.

Dechaios said:
ikIw9e.gif

Anyone have the original larger version of this image?

Edit: While we're at it do you have the P-body eye as well?

I'll see if I can find the original large image that I used for this again but I'm not sure if I'll be able too.

There was no P-Body eye unfortunately - I tried to fuck around with this one and re-colour it to be orange and yellow, but I didn't have much success (didn't try real hard) but will try again if I can find the image again.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
I still can't add funds to purchase the game, says 'internal error.' It wants me to contact Steam support now, urgh.

I'm just a few dollars away from buying and I can't.

KaYotiX

Banned
ColonialRaptor said:
GOOD FUCKING GOD.

I was going to buy the PS3 version so I could get the PC version at the same time, bubububu... if it is available on Steam in 10 hours there is ABSOLUTELY NO FUCKING WAY I am waiting until Thursday Australian time which is virtually 6 days away at that point.

Six days and buying the PS3 + PC version or buying straight away on steam... HMMM I wonder what the fuck I should choose!?

But I want to own the retail disc version of this game FFS OMG it's going to damn well kill me.

In the end because of what I want to own with this I think I will end up owning the PS3 limited edition, the Steam version and the retail PC version just because I want the packaging... how fucking sad is that :/

I alrdy pre-purchased on steam and im still getting the 360 version Tuesday lol. Valve=awesome.

blamite

I suppose I could use a Portal-ified avatar. Maybe someone would be kind enough to give my Spartan a portal gun to play with?

Top Bottom