• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 |OT| Sleep. Spuds. Science.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Animator said:
Silver lining: Perfect time to get a SSD.

JaseC said:
I can re-pre-load Portal 2 to the SSD for the time being.

Not going to bother replacing either HDD just yet. I'm about a month away from my upgrade.

12th post on this/the previous page. :p It's only a 60GB OS drive, so Steam doesn't have much of a presence on it.

Animator

It is going to suck if we get like a video teaser for portal 2 after that countdown or some such thing instead of early release.

Atomski

Animator said:
It is going to suck if we get like a video teaser for portal 2 after that countdown or some such thing instead of early release.
I don't know, this Valve we are talking about. There is a bunch of hype behind this. If they knew that what ever was released wasn't a megaton they would have probably tried to calm it down by now. If it is not a early release its something Half Life 3 related.

Forkball

So there's zero chance of it being available at retail tomorrow? I'm getting it for PC, but I have a gift card so I want to use it on Portal 2. It's going to suck if everyone plays and beats it before I even get it.

Excuuuuuuse my ignorance, but it has come to my attention that this will be released tomorrow. Soooooo, does that mean thats it's just the Steam version that will be released, or all versions?

Koodo

Banned
-Yeti said:
Excuuuuuuse my ignorance, but it has come to my attention that this will be released tomorrow. Soooooo, does that mean thats it's just the Steam version that will be released, or all versions?
Just the Steam version because it has been decided that Steam purchasers are factually superior and also more fabulous.

Zeliard

If people could try and keep the propagating of Portal 2 memes to a minimum, it'll just be that much more enjoyable. :p

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
-Yeti said:

We're not even sure it will be released tomorrow. Signs in the ARG point to something happening in about 12 hours, and whether that's the release of Portal 2 or something else no one can say. There are hints that maybe it's Portal 2, but I wouldn't make any assumptions. If it is, it's a reasonably safe bet that it's Steam only.

JaseC

Forkball said:
So there's zero chance of it being available at retail tomorrow? I'm getting it for PC, but I have a gift card so I want to use it on Portal 2. It's going to suck if everyone plays and beats it before I even get it.

Ultimately it's up to the retailers. Some may break the street date because of the game being released early on Steam, others may not.

B33

Banned
-Yeti said:
Steam, if this countdown is indeed counting down to an early release of Portal 2.

Retail copies still carry the official street date of April 19th.

Emitan

TouchMyBox said:
I think this whole ARG and everything is just VALVe's way of celebrating pony day.

MLP/Portal 2 crossover game announcement tomorrow.
I want a Pony hat in TF2 and a Portal gun that takes me to Pony Land.

Koodo said:
Just the Steam version because it has been decided that Steam purchasers are factually superior and also more fabulous.

Critical hit. :(

That kind of sucks because I'll be pretty busy during the week.

HomShaBom

Banned
2znxtsy.jpg

Plasmid

Wow, outtro of single player and co-op are both on youtube right now. Not gonna tempt you by linking though.

I definitely guessed the ending from the achievements though.

Emitan

Plasmid said:
Wow, outtro of single player and co-op are both on youtube right now. Not gonna tempt you by linking though.

Thank you for not linking. I don't even know what the achievements are. But that's more because I don't give 2 shits about achievements.

Plasmid said:

Are they in-engine?

Blizzard

Banned
Videos leaked already? Are the reviewers that untrustworthy, or are they from console pirated/leaked copies? :( At least I can dive right in after work tomorrow if this actually opens for everyone, and hopefully avoid all spoilers besides co-op ones.

Especially after tonight's TF2 update messing everything up, I half expect co-op to not work well for a few days in Portal 2, but I'm hoping the servers will at least let me decrypt and play singleplayer.

Noogy

So I'm a bit late to this news, but perhaps someone can clear it up for me.

I preordered the PS3 version, with the hopes that I could coop that with the included Steam version with my wife. Is this not possible?

Plasmid said:
They are both cutscenes, the co-op outro is really.. interesting, cute too.

Speak no more of this, I don't want to even think about the end, not even spoiler-tagged, at least not until Saturday or Sunday
if the game IS released tomorrow.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Noogy said:

I preordered the PS3 version, with the hopes that I could coop that with the included Steam version with my wife. Is this not possible?
Totally possible.

B33

Banned
Noogy said:

Absolutely.

Just have her redeem the pin number included with the PS3 copy on her Steam account.

Edit: Disregard. See below.

Luthos

I don't know if it's known, but...

I don't really care if it's an early release. In fact, I hope it's something else. Because I while I really want to play it, I can totally wait another 5 days.

Plasmid

Noogy said:

Sid, PSB: Another reader question: If a user gets Portal 2 for the PS3, can two people play that copy at the same time? One on the PS3 and one on the PC?

Joshua, Valve: Well, of course you can play two-player splitscreen on one PS3. But otherwise, it works the way Steam play does now — you can only be logged into one device at a time.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011...s3-question-answered-and-that-cake-thing-too/

Noogy

B33 said:
Absolutely.

Just have her redeem the pin number included with the PS3 copy on her Steam account.
Thanks, that's what I originally thought. I've just been reading some conflicting details, though, particularly on the Giant Bomb page. It kind of makes sense that it shouldn't work, since the game requires a Steam account to play on PS3, which would in essence tie up that account from being used on a PC. Sorry for my confusion.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Plasmid said:
They are both cutscenes, the co-op outro is really.. interesting, cute too.

Yeah, kind of quirky. I haven't been following the Portal 2 story so I don't know what it means.

I'll be honest, I'll probably be watching this game via Youtube playthrough since I'm too busy to play until June. Just built a new PC too =/

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I haven't bought the game yet :x

A fellow GAFer will be buying for me cause I'm out of Paypal funds, hope he gifts it to me in time so it gets considered as a pre-order should there be any pre-order goodies D:

Blizzard

Banned
Aruarian Reflection said:
Yeah, kind of quirky. I haven't been following the Portal 2 story so I don't know what it means.

I'll be honest, I'll probably be watching this game via Youtube playthrough since I'm too busy to play until June. Just built a new PC too =/
I'm gonna just stop checking the threads I guess, but especially for people who aren't going to play the game for a while -- please don't talk about the ending stuff without spoiler tags, even in general terms. You'll say something like "quirky" and the rest of us will instantly panic and jump to horrible conclusions about spoilers. :p

Noogy

B33

Banned
Noogy said:
Thanks, that's what I originally thought. I've just been reading some conflicting details, though, particularly on the Giant Bomb page. It kind of makes sense that it shouldn't work, since the game requires a Steam account to play on PS3, which would in essence tie up that account from being used on a PC. Sorry for my confusion.
Here's the official word from Steam Support.
ao3k9i.png

Click here for more details.

StuBurns

Banned
The posts about the ending are ridiculous already.

ValveGAF, I love you, but we're done till I finish Portal 2, and I'm playing it on PS3 so it's going to be a while. Have a great time with their latest gift to us, adieu.

Plasmid

Blizzard said:
I'm gonna just stop checking the threads I guess, but especially for people who aren't going to play the game for a while -- please don't talk about the ending stuff without spoiler tags, even in general terms. You'll say something like "quirky" and the rest of us will instantly panic and jump to horrible conclusions about spoilers. :p

I'm not spoiling anything else, btw, if you go on /v/, don't believe shit, they're making shit up to piss people off, none of it is true. I'd also stay off /v/ until you've beaten it.

I'm so mad though, 360 is in mesquite texas to be repaired and my laptop is shit to play portal 2 :(((((.

JaseC

Plasmid said:

There's been a lot of misunderstanding about this.

No, you cannot use the Steam Play version that comes with the PS3 version of Portal 2 to play co-op with the PC using the same account as concurrent log-ins aren't possible. You'll get booted from either machine if you log-in to the same Steam account on the other.

However
, that doesn't stop you from using separate accounts on both systems. Let's say you redeemed your Steam Play copy of Portal 2 and you want play co-op with that particular Steam account. All you'd need to do is make a new PS3 account, make a new PSN account, and then register a new Steam account (using the quick one-click option if you'd prefer) within Portal 2. Two separate accounts, two unique Steam ids.

Noogy

JaseC said:
However[/B], that doesn't stop you from using separate accounts on both systems. Let's say you redeemed your Steam Play copy of Portal 2 and you want play co-op with that particular Steam account. All you'd need to do is make a new PS3 account, make a new PSN account, and then register a new Steam account (using the quick one-click option if you'd prefer) within Portal 2. Two separate accounts, two unique Steam ids.
Ah-hah! Brilliant :) I owe you a cookie, thanks!

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
My Tuesday class got cancelled next week and it's the only thing I had that day. Will be continually checking my mailbox all morning.

(._.)

Banned
Plasmid said:
I'm not spoiling anything else, btw, if you go on /v/, don't believe shit, they're making shit up to piss people off, none of it is true. I'd also stay off /v/ until you've beaten it.

I'm so mad though, 360 is in mesquite texas to be repaired and my laptop is shit to play portal 2 :(((((.
who goes on /v/ in 2011

JaseC

Noogy said:
Ah-hah! Brilliant :) I owe you a cookie, thanks!

I'll expect it in the mail next week. :p

Seriously, though, it's a bit of a mess at the moment as many misunderstand that the PS3 copy itself is tied to a Steam account, when it's just the particular PSN id that is.

Top Bottom