• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 |OT| Sleep. Spuds. Science.

Dakota47

Davidion said:
Anyone still doing co-op?

Never touched it again after I got all the achievements. I can't wait for new content, but hopefully Valve gives the co-op a couple of legs this time by adding some competitive elements.

MacAttack

Davidion said:
Anyone still doing co-op?

Single player was fucking awesome.

Just finished single player, loved it. I'm up for some co-op with someone who hasn't played it yet since this will be my first playthrough. steam id is ryanmac78. I have a fairly limited window in which to play most days so pm me if you're still interested.

some thoughts on the game:

What is the consensus on "Want you gone" (the credits song)? "Still Alive" was impossible to beat but after initial disappointment with "Want you gone", its growing on me.

Am I a bad person for loving all the fat jokes?

Stephen Merchant and JK Simmons were brilliant additions.

I don't know how much further they can push this game but I will happily pick up a sequel if it comes to pass.

StuBurns

Banned
Still Alive came out of no where, I think the deck was stacked against Want You Gone from the start. It's a much better song though, and story wise it's more meaningful too.

Fjordson

MacAttack said:
What is the consensus on "Want you gone" (the credits song)? "Still Alive" was impossible to beat but after initial disappointment with "Want you gone", its growing on me. I don't know how much further they can push this game but I will happily pick up a sequel if it comes to pass.
I actually like (credit spoilers)
Want You Gone more than Still Alive.

MacAttack said:
Just finished single player, loved it. I'm up for some co-op with someone who hasn't played it yet since this will be my first playthrough. steam id is ryanmac78. I have a fairly limited window in which to play most days so pm me if you're still interested.

some thoughts on the game:

Am I a bad person for loving all the fat jokes?
I cracked up at just about all of them, especially when she had to fix the jump pad.

Cipherr

Flying_Phoenix said:
That wasn't where the portal was originally.

What I did was
Let the white goo get on top of the pillar closest to the angled platform. I then shot a portal hole at the top of the pillar and at the angled platform. I jumped onto the angled platform and came out from the pillar. I then made a portal hole on the floor during the jump and got back from the angle platform. Once falling from the air I once again made a portal on the floor and rinse and repeat for 4 times until I completed.

Oh shit! I just realized what you did. You shot portal holes at the two higher pillars while having the goo come out, thus getting a higher jump when going off the ramp. I feel so stupid. :(

That was my favorite room after I beat the game and came to GAF and saw that the 4 to 5x fling wasn't actually the right way to do it. The fact that there was more than one way is realllllly awesome to me for some reason. One of the most memorable chambers to me because of that.

upJTboogie said:
I cracked up at just about all of them, especially when she had to fix the jump pad.

When she said "Someone of your..... generousness." That's the part that killed me.

pedr0theli0n

Neo Member
I loved the first portal, but the non-test room, open environment stuff is kinda ruining Portal 2 for me right now. I'm maybe... 4 hours in or so. For as much praise as I've seen for this game, there seem to be a lot of puzzles that are basically "look around this huge room for the one place you can put a portal." I guess its just a different direction, but so far I much prefer the more focused, tight puzzle experience of the first. Does this get any better?

Himself

pedr0theli0n said:
I loved the first portal, but the non-test room, open environment stuff is kinda ruining Portal 2 for me right now. I'm maybe... 4 hours in or so. For as much praise as I've seen for this game, there seem to be a lot of puzzles that are basically "look around this huge room for the one place you can put a portal." I guess its just a different direction, but so far I much prefer the more focused, tight puzzle experience of the first. Does this get any better?

Yes. The best puzzles probably come in the last hour or the game or so and I'm guessing that's what you're looking for. Keep going, it's worth it.

I was bummed out by feeling that 1/2 of the game was a guided tour being given by a gratingly unfunny robot.

pedr0theli0n said:

I got bored here too and took a long break from the game. Once I came back after a breather I ended up loving it. You just gotta see them as huge test rooms.

pedr0theli0n said:
For as much praise as I've seen for this game, there seem to be a lot of puzzles that are basically "look around this huge room for the one place you can put a portal."
Yeah, that was one of the few things that bothered me about the game. The one that bothered me the most wasn't even a huge room, it was just a space where the portal-able wall was hidden behind another wall and you had to look at it at a certain angle just to see it. Although I bet it wouldn't have been such a problem if my computer were more powerful and able to output the game at native resolution... At 800x500, the jaggies make it kind of hard to find small portal-able specks.

Professor Portal is one of the stupidest trophies ever.

EDIT: I just played with a random and got sent to calibration, completed it and didn't get the trophy. I hate trophies/achievements like this.

StuBurns

Banned
AranhaHunter said:
Professor Portal is one of the stupidest trophies ever.
The fact that you called it a trophy means it's a fraction of as stupid it is on 360. You can do it with anyone you know, just get them to make another account.

StuBurns said:
The fact that you called it a trophy means it's a fraction of as stupid it is on 360. You can do it with anyone you know, just get them to make another account.

This and the three hugs was stupid regardless on what system you played the game on. They wasted their time when they could have gone to better things... real gameplay things. The not dying in trail 4 in co-op was the best IMO as it made my friend and I really work together as a team more than we have for any other game.

StuBurns

Banned
I think Portal is about puzzle solving, not mastery of execution.

I would put the achievement you mentioned as the worst, and the TVs one as the best.

Cipherr

cooljeanius said:
Although I bet it wouldn't have been such a problem if my computer were more powerful and able to output the game at native resolution... At 800x500, the jaggies make it kind of hard to find small portal-able specks.

I dunno I played it maxed, and there were still definitely "stand back, look around and absorb every texture in this football stadium sized room until you spot the portalable surface" moments.

OTOH I absolutely adored those. I just saw them as H&GS puzzles instead of "how do I get to that ledge" puzzles. Those rooms stumped me longer than most. I liked it, but yeah at the end of the game they more or less vanish and you get chain thumped by more classic puzzles, they are good ones though.

Himself

Has anyone managed to complete co-op online without a mic?

I got to the fourth set of tests and the person I was playing it with is super busy nowadays. I want to finish it so bad, but I feel it would be incredibly frustrating figuring out some of those puzzles without verbal communication. Any one have any luck?

sn00zer

Himself said:

I got to the fourth set of tests and the person I was playing it with is super busy nowadays. I want to finish it so bad, but I feel it would be incredibly frustrating figuring out some of those puzzles without verbal communication. Any one have any luck?
I had to type on PC for a few

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Himself said:

The game has built-in communications commands for pretty much anything you'd need to say.

So you point at something and press a button to tell the other player to portal there.

Or you can set a 3-2-1 time to indicate when to do something in unison.

Himself

True, the communication tools seem decent enough. Not much sense talking about it, I suppose. Just gonna hop in and see how it goes.

Dakota47

Lombarditroll said:
It's still technically summer.

uJSBW.jpg

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Captain_Spanky said:
Question: Does the game come with any sort of "online code" that new purchasers get? Would I be losing out on anything by buying it second hand?
Yes, in the case of the PS3 version coming with a code to download the PC version on steam for free.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
StuBurns said:
That's not an online pass or anything.

You get the full game used.
Entering those numbers into your PC and ushering in Valve's platform agnostic vision is part of the game, man.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So I was deciding what I wanted to play after I got home from work today and I just couldn't put my finger on it, but I knew there was something. Then I realized what I really wanted to do was play through Portal 2 for a third time. Never had that desire with another game after less than a year since its release. Really quite something.

But I still haven't actually even beaten co-op. I'm only on Chapter 4 of it actually. So if anyone out there wants to play, please send me a message on Steam and see if I'm around.

Top Bottom