• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 |OT| Sleep. Spuds. Science.

Dr. Chaos

Banned
"Space. Space. Space. Sp.."

"Nobody is going to bloody space, mate!"

XD

The universe is a much better place for this game existing.

If Merchant doesn't return for Portal 3, I think I might die a lil on the inside.

StuBurns

Banned
OldJadedGamer said:
I got this when it first came out and played until chapter 6 and got bored when the testing chambers were over. Put it on the shelf and went on to other games.

My best friend picked it up and was bugging me about co-op so I put it back in and we went through all 5 levels and had such a blast playing. Tons of teamwork, lots of bitching, some name calling (get out of the doorway fattie!), and I won't lie... 1 youtube video look up but maybe one of the best online co-op experiences we have had together and we play co-op all the time.

After I got the Portal 2 bug back, I figured it was time to finish it off. Not only did I finish single player but then went back and got every single single player achievement and I'm bummed there isn't more.

Now I'm only missing the Professor one, not dying in co-op, saving the cube in co-op and hugging three people which has to be the WORST achievement in the game and whoever thought of it should be ashamed of themselves.
What are you playing it on? On PS3 you can do the friends thing with just one person in a couple of minutes.

I have all but one achievement now. The not dying on all of chapter 4 one.

Frost_Ace

I have a question: Was playing with my cousin some offline split-screen co-op (on pc) the other day, until the level where you have to insert the CD in the computer, glaDOS made us explode and sent us back to the first level :| Is there a way to avoid this?

And a more important question is how do I save or load an offline co-op file? Keep in mind that I'm forced to start the level manually from the console so I don't know if that's actually possible D:

fake edit: must post this somewhere laughed way to much at it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1roP52Py7s (spoilers)

StuBurns said:
What are you playing it on? On PS3 you can do the friends thing with just one person in a couple of minutes.

I have all but one achievement now. The not dying on all of chapter 4 one.

On 360. It says to hug three different people on your friends list. My list has one guy currently playing the game. How did you get the professor one?

StuBurns

Banned
OldJadedGamer said:
On 360. It says to hug three different people on your friends list. My list has one guy currently playing the game. How did you get the professor one?
My mate who I finished the co-op with used two alt accounts, so once we finished the game I played the first level with one of his alts, hugged him, then he came on with another and I hugged him again.

StuBurns said:
My mate who I finished the co-op with used two alt accounts, so once we finished the game I played the first level with one of his alts, hugged him, then he came on with another and I hugged him again.

My friend and I boosted with 48 hour gold codes. Now in the same boat... Need the not dying in 4 one. Last one for 1000.

StuBurns

Banned
OldJadedGamer said:
My friend and I boosted with 48 hour gold codes. Now in the same boat... Need the not dying in 4 one. Last one for 1000.
Finished, got the last one, did you get it?

This is my first Platinum and first 1000/1000 points on Steam.

StuBurns

Banned
OldJadedGamer said:
My buddy and I are going to go for it this weekend.
It was fun, didn't get frustrating despite falling three or four times. The last but one chamber with the wall of spiky pads, where one person goes thru and the other operates the polarity switch was pretty tense.

Firebrand

JackEtc said:
Just noticed this upon adding a video to my Steam profile....hmmm....

(click image for larger)

That's the name of the snorkel "DLC", check the DLC for Portal 2 in your library. There's a similar one under TF2 for the sunglasses.

StuBurns

Banned
Those goggles are the only thing I've got from the summer ticket game. Apparently they let you see under the evil goo before you die like in the original, sounds cool to me.

StuBurns said:
It was fun, didn't get frustrating despite falling three or four times. The last but one chamber with the wall of spiky pads, where one person goes thru and the other operates the polarity switch was pretty tense.

We are going to do a few test runs first so we get them down before trying our run. Sucks sitting at 985/1000

StuBurns said:
Those goggles are the only thing I've got from the summer ticket game. Apparently they let you see under the evil goo before you die like in the original, sounds cool to me.
Anyone test them to see if they actually do this? I haven't tried it yet. Also, anyone up for the new Steam summer sale achievement, "Talent Show - Never lose a cube in Chamber 6 of the Mobility Gels co-op course"?

StuBurns

Banned
It's crazy Steam added an achievement the night I finally got them all.

Dax, if you need it on Steam or PS3, let me know, I'll run thru the tutorial thing with you if you want.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
StuBurns said:
It's crazy Steam added an achievement the night I finally got them all.

Dax, if you need it on Steam or PS3, let me know, I'll run thru the tutorial thing with you if you want.
Doesn't that one need to be done with someone who hasn't played yet?

StuBurns

Banned
Princess Skittles said:
Doesn't that one need to be done with someone who hasn't played yet?
On PS3 you can do it by just making a new account. You can do it like that on 360 too, but you need Gold, so a free two day trial or something. It's only really Steam you can't cheat on. But as Steam is connected on PS3, you can still have a PS3 user make a new account to get it for a Steam user.

sam27368

Banned
Portal 2 got pricey

KRVMU.jpg

Hero

Has anyone with a Steam version of Portal 2 played with a PS3 friend yet? I'm wondering if using my headset for Steam Portal 2 will work with my friend who's going to be on his PS3 and a blue tooth adapter.

Buddy of mine bought me this fantastic game yesterday. Just finished it up and man was it awesome but I'd say a bit short..whatever, free is free. Would like to try out some co-op tomorrow if anyone is down to roll with a novice (PS3 version).

jambo

Hero said:
Has anyone with a Steam version of Portal 2 played with a PS3 friend yet? I'm wondering if using my headset for Steam Portal 2 will work with my friend who's going to be on his PS3 and a blue tooth adapter.

I played the entire co-op campaign with a mate and he was on his PS3. The voice chat worked perfectly.

Just finished the game, great experience and great game, this is actually the first valve game I've bought and finished. I've played some l4d co op. I'm thinking of replaying the game on the computer since I get a free steam copy anyways and if valve patches the game for move I might replay it yet again.....hope to see some more valve games on PS3.

Broadbandito said:
looking for a co-op parter for ps3/pc/mac with voice right now

Sup. I'll do it.

I'd like to go for the achievements as well if you dont mind.

Steam ID is Bidoofaloof but I'll be playing on PSN.

I have a mic as well.

Sibylus

Banned
So according to Ellen McClain on this podcast, she actually did record commentary for Portal 2. Allegedly the reason it's missing is because her commentary was so over the top with praise that Valve got all self-concious. Heh.

Edit: Sounds like she recorded lines for a Portal 2 addon, probably SP or coop levels?

So I'm playing this for the first time... I've never played the original (though I will rectify that soon).

Anyway. I'm stuck and have been all day (not all at once, just stuck at a point i got to and put it down after failed attempts and then a second attempt later on with no luck). Unfortunately, I shamefully have to resort to asking for help. I'm about to play it again but I want to mention where I am:

So Glados gave me a pep talk
as a potato
about lemons thanks to J.k. Simmons' lemon speech and I've made my way up a structure using some bounce goo and what not. I can get my way into a room on a catwalk at the base of a large vertical tunnel with pipes and vents. I've noticed I can get the white paint to shoot into the vent which spreads it all over the walls. But from there, it just doesn't seem like I'm going the right way. I get myself up through the tunnel and can get myself out of it into a big room with a bunch of pipes (that seems awfully familiar), but again, it doesn't feel like I should be there. Any hints? It'd be great if i can get hints and not a flat out answer to my problem... thanks.

POWERSPHERE said:
I like that you're asking for help rather than FAQing it.
Most of the enjoyment is solving each area.

I got it. I was in the right place it just felt odd. Like I shouldn't have been where I was.

When I was at the top of the shaft, I noticed a larger area to throw a portal at than before which clued me in that I should be there.

jambo

POWERSPHERE said:
I like that you're asking for help rather than FAQing it.

With puzzle games I find hints on forums to be better than a walkthrough blatantly spelling out exactly what to do, step by step.

jambo said:
With puzzle games I find hints on forums to be better than a walkthrough blatantly spelling out exactly what to do, step by step.

same. and games like Portal, when you FAQ it, you just feel like you lost a good percentage of the game, but you can get hella stumped

Anyone wanting to do Co-op? I'm still on the PS3 but I guess it's playable with people on PC, Mac, and PSN. Send me a PM, I'm trying to platinum the game.

I imagine I'm not the only one but I've been dreaming about Portal. Basically imagined puzzles that I need to crack. They probably make no sense but dreamland makes them solvable haha.

A sign I've played too much... Not only was I dreaming about portal earlier this week after playing it so often, but I also imagined putting my child to bed using portals. Late at night, my wife woke up and brought our 17 month old son to bed with us when he woke up crying. After he had fallen asleep but rolled over on me waking me up, I thought about putting a portal below him and one in his crib so I didn't have to disturb him by carrying him. I shit you not, this is real. I remembered this thought the next morning and told my wife who thought I was strange. Anyone else with similar story?

Top Bottom