• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portland (OR) |OT|

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Ballot Measure 26-151, which would fluoridate Portland's water supply, trails by nine points in a survey released tonight by WW's news partner KATU.

The poll, conducted by Survey USA of 800 Portlanders and 600 likely voters, is the first poll released this year in advance of the May 21 election. It shows 48 percent of people polled planned to vote against fluoride, while 39 percent will vote for it.

You have got to be fucking kidding me. Portland is really fucking stupid at times.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
With the fluoride thing, is the version of fluoride going into the water exactly the same as the naturally occuring fluoride or is it a stereoisomer? If it is a stereoisomer, then is there data on consumption of both types?

I grew up in a suburb of Portland called Beaverton. Long story short, my parents had midlife crisises, pissed away their careers, and we became homeless. Homeless in a city that rains nonstop most of the year.

So not fun.

Since then I moved to California and have never looked back. I miss the greenery and the hills, but otherwise I don't see myself ever going back. I don't miss any of the people. I certainly don't miss the city itself

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I grew up in a suburb of Portland called Beaverton. Long story short, my parents had midlife crisises, pissed away their careers, and we became homeless. Homeless in a city that rains nonstop most of the year.

So not fun.

Since then I moved to California and have never looked back. I miss the greenery and the hills, but otherwise I don't see myself ever going back. I don't miss any of the people. I certainly don't miss the city itself

Ok? Why would you hold the city accountable for your parents midlife crisis and never want to come back?

bronson

Hopefully they didn't change it too much from when we did it. I know it's starting at 9:30 instead of 11pm, so I don't know if there's gonna be pre-show bands & hors d'oeuvres being handed out.

The guy hosting has been doing a series over at the Mission before getting the bump-up to the Bagdad. So there might be a pre-show talk-show sort of thing that happens beforehand.
It was alright. There were a few bands that started around 7:30, but the openers seemed more into it than the last band. "Songs from the movie" advertised on the web turned out to be "songs that are semi-related." I forget all of the band names.

No hors d'oeuvres that I saw, though I was up on the balcony. They were serving white russians for five bucks, but they were pretty weak.

All in all okay. Nowhere near the turnout or infectious audience buzz that came with your midnight movie showings.

Is Craigslist a good source for finding housing in Portland? My friend and I have been looking for places around 1000-1200 on or around Burnside (east), and we're seeing almost nothing. It's looking like we might have to find an apartment the old-fashioned way.

In any case, I'm pretty excited to move; Portland is providing me with my first "real" job, something the Bay Area couldn't give me.

B.O.O.M

Recently went to Salt and Straw..loved it! Honestly did not think salt and ice cream would go together

ps: the wait for a tad bit long but so worth it (stood in line for like 15mins..not TOOOO bad I suppose)

Is Craigslist a good source for finding housing in Portland? My friend and I have been looking for places around 1000-1200 on or around Burnside (east), and we're seeing almost nothing. It's looking like we might have to find an apartment the old-fashioned way.

In any case, I'm pretty excited to move; Portland is providing me with my first "real" job, something the Bay Area couldn't give me.

It's hit or miss. But there's plenty of places around for that price range. Maybe a $100 or so more. I would say just look up apartment complexes in the area and calling the best reviewed ones if the craigslist doesn't work out for ya

Sumidor

My body is still recovering from the Whiskey Fest on Saturday. Did anyone else get a chance to go? It was muggy, kinda smelly, and crowded... But it was lots of fun.

It's hit or miss. But there's plenty of places around for that price range. Maybe a $100 or so more. I would say just look up apartment complexes in the area and calling the best reviewed ones if the craigslist doesn't work out for ya

Thanks!

Also, go to Grüner (for lunch, specifically) if you want an incredible burger. My girlfriend and I both agreed that it was the best burger either of us had ever had. And between the two of us, we eat a lot of burgers.

Grain and Gristle is excellent, too.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone else watching the Winterhawks? That was a fun 1st period. Seth Jones is a phenom.

Also, to the guy up a few posts, there is nothing wrong with Beaverton. It's a very diverse city and because of that has some really incredible restaurants. Especially Korean food.

Dartastic

Anyone else watching the Winterhawks? That was a fun 1st period. Seth Jones is a phenom.

Also, to the guy up a few posts, there is nothing wrong with Beaverton. It's a very diverse city and because of that has some really incredible restaurants. Especially Korean food.
Nah, I'm not. It's on in the bar next door though. i'm watching the Timbers game. I don't like this 0-1 feel against Vancouver. I don't like it at all.

FyreWulff

Sup Portland OT, finally posting here. I'm trying to move to your city, from Omaha Nebraska. I was in Vancouver (Canada) for a while, which gave me the live in the PNW bug, but they're terribly expensive.

Problem is, I have no friggin' idea how to actually get a place and move to it from such a remote distance. When I moved to Vancouver I already had a roommate and a place lined up. I have no idea how one handles getting a place from so far away on my own.

Think it'd be a good idea to rent a room first, then look for a place from that? Are rooms usually month-to-month there?

edit: I found the world's supply of purple

Monocle

Recently went to Salt and Straw..loved it! Honestly did not think salt and ice cream would go together

ps: the wait for a tad bit long but so worth it (stood in line for like 15mins..not TOOOO bad I suppose)

That place always has the longest line ever.

IndianElephant

Neo Member
Whelp, pretty disappointed in my city over fluoride, but at least group YouTube watching will be less awkward with my predominantly anti-F friends.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Sup Portland OT, finally posting here. I'm trying to move to your city, from Omaha Nebraska. I was in Vancouver (Canada) for a while, which gave me the live in the PNW bug, but they're terribly expensive.

Problem is, I have no friggin' idea how to actually get a place and move to it from such a remote distance. When I moved to Vancouver I already had a roommate and a place lined up. I have no idea how one handles getting a place from so far away on my own.

Think it'd be a good idea to rent a room first, then look for a place from that? Are rooms usually month-to-month there?

yes please move here. thanks.

I'm in a similar boat, but moving from Wisconsin. Job is moving me out in mid July and I was able to get out there once to check out neighborhoods and see the city for a weekend but not actually look at too many places. Most places are not month to month from what I can tell. I would regularly check Craigslist and find places that seem of interest to you and in your price range. Then call up the complex and just be honest with whoever you talk to. Most property people are young and will tell you if the area is worth living in, and pros and cons of the place. Check reviews online too.

I still haven't figured out where to live.. headed out again in first week of June to look at places and trying to target Lloyd District, Irvington and maybe around Mississippi/MLK. Pearl, Nob/Alphabet and Waterfront seem too far out of my price range. People said those are douchey areas but I really dig Portland's downtown.

My parents keep hearing good things about Hollywood but I feel like that seems way too east and I don't remember anything out that way. Does anyone recommend that area?

Portland is a great place to live, and you should come here.

We're kinda in the middle of - rental CRISIS probably isn't the right term - a bit of a housing THING, I guess. You'll likely find an apartment, and a lot of apartments in PDX are month-to-month, I believe. But you might find yourself spending your first few months househunting from an apartment that is a little bit farther out from the center of the city than some PDX residents are comfy with.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Sydney and I will probably be headed to the Tardis Room for about 6pm, if anyone's interested in meeting us.

i will be in town tomorrow night if anyone wants to put some drinks down their gullets

Sunday night? We could maybe do something, if I've recouped enough.

Heeeeey, you guys survived Idaho! :)

Congrats.

Warning about the TARDIS room - they typically only have two servers - TOPS. It can (and will) take awhile to get your order filled sometimes.

Hop

Heeeeey, you guys survived Idaho! :)

Congrats.

Warning about the TARDIS room - they typically only have two servers - TOPS. It can (and will) take awhile to get your order filled sometimes.

Idaho was easy, we just avoided stopping. :p

And I'm sure that'll be fine, it's less about the service and more about the novelty and the accomplishment. Food could be shit and we wouldn't really care.

Fred Armisen's Portland: it's weird and it's wonderful

Portland is not the kind of place where I would want to make a list of landmarks and attractions to see. It's not like that. The best way to get a sense of it is to spend a good amount of time here, and walk around, maybe even a little aimlessly. I like finding good restaurants here by mistake. Record stores, too.

Drop your stuff at whatever hotel you are staying at (I like the Ace, and the Deluxe , but there are good ones all over), and just start walking.

This. I had a friend move here awhile back and I had a hard time really describing what there is to do here. Outside of the hiking or concerts, it usually boiled down to "we just go out and grab a drink around town" which sounds dull when describing it, but rarely is

Moofers

Can anyone recommend a nice restaurant for July 4? Something where you could make a reservation and maybe catch some fireworks? I already know about three degrees, but I'm wondering if there's anything a bit less expensive that would make for a decent option? Hell, I guess I'm interested in hearing any and all advice. I just want to take my new bride for a nice time at night and either see fireworks from the table, or be able to go someplace to see them after.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Can anyone recommend a nice restaurant for July 4? Something where you could make a reservation and maybe catch some fireworks? I already know about three degrees, but I'm wondering if there's anything a bit less expensive that would make for a decent option? Hell, I guess I'm interested in hearing any and all advice. I just want to take my new bride for a nice time at night and either see fireworks from the table, or be able to go someplace to see them after.

I don't know about the food, but I am sure you could get a fantastic view at The Portland City Grill.

Jooney

Great OT. I am currently travelling through the states and I will be in Portland next week. Thanks to Devo and co for putting these links together, can't wait to check a few of these restaurants and bars out.

I'm only in Portland for three days - anyone care to highlight the must-see and do's?

Also - any recommendations for places to stay (e.g. good hostels)?

Hop

Great OT. I am currently travelling through the states and I will be in Portland next week. Thanks to Devo and co for putting these links together, can't wait to check a few of these restaurants and bars out.

I'm only in Portland for three days - anyone care to highlight the must-see and do's?

Also - any recommendations for places to stay (e.g. good hostels)?

I can't recommend any hostels personally (I stayed all in hotels, and there was nothing under $100/night I'd really recommend), but these two come up as well-recommended: one on the west side, one on the east side but still west enough that you're not approaching outskirts.

I can't really make any recommendations for must-sees outside of the touristy stuff (Powell's, Japanese Gardens, and whatnot). But then again, I'm still too new to know of any hidden gems (other than Annie's Donuts). I've seen it said that the best approach is just to wander, either on foot or use Trimet. You might want to try to arbitrarily cordon the city into three sections, and just stick to one each day. See what you encounter.

Top Bottom