• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portland (OR) |OT|

Can anyone recommend a nice restaurant for July 4? Something where you could make a reservation and maybe catch some fireworks? I already know about three degrees, but I'm wondering if there's anything a bit less expensive that would make for a decent option? Hell, I guess I'm interested in hearing any and all advice. I just want to take my new bride for a nice time at night and either see fireworks from the table, or be able to go someplace to see them after.
Noble Rot may be an option.

Jooney

I can't recommend any hostels personally (I stayed all in hotels, and there was nothing under $100/night I'd really recommend), but these two come up as well-recommended: one on the west side, one on the east side but still west enough that you're not approaching outskirts.

I can't really make any recommendations for must-sees outside of the touristy stuff (Powell's, Japanese Gardens, and whatnot). But then again, I'm still too new to know of any hidden gems (other than Annie's Donuts). I've seen it said that the best approach is just to wander, either on foot or use Trimet. You might want to try to arbitrarily cordon the city into three sections, and just stick to one each day. See what you encounter.

Thanks for the reply, Hop! I like the idea of dividing up the city and take a day to explore each section. I'm the kind of guy that just likes to wander around a city on foot and not really tie myself down to a schedule.

I found what looks to be a popular hostel so here's hoping I can meet some peeps and join in on some activities.

I keep hearing great things about Portland from fellow travellers so I can't wait to get there later this week.

maliedoo

Thanks for the reply, Hop! I like the idea of dividing up the city and take a day to explore each section. I'm the kind of guy that just likes to wander around a city on foot and not really tie myself down to a schedule.

I found what looks to be a popular hostel so here's hoping I can meet some peeps and join in on some activities.

I keep hearing great things about Portland from fellow travellers so I can't wait to get there later this week.

It's a great place to visit or live, lots of things to do, lots of different food to eat (meat, vegetarian, vegan, other special diets), lots of beer choices, wine choices, music, entertainment. Short drive to the beaches, short drive to the mountain, and so on...

maliedoo

Also.....contributing...

Umi Sushi (not directly in portland, but damn good, worth a visit)
6334 Meadows Rd, Lake Oswego, OR

and

Two Brothers Cafe And Grill (turkish coffee · pita bread · balkan food · european food)
829 SE Cesar Estrada Chavez Blvd, Portland, OR ‎

Marino Cafe
4129 SE Division St, Portland, OR

4-4-2 Soccer Bar
1739 SE Hawthorne Blvd, Portland, OR ‎

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Also.....contributing...

Umi Sushi (not directly in portland, but damn good, worth a visit)
6334 Meadows Rd, Lake Oswego, OR

and

Two Brothers Cafe And Grill (turkish coffee · pita bread · balkan food · european food)
829 SE Cesar Estrada Chavez Blvd, Portland, OR ‎

Marino Cafe
4129 SE Division St, Portland, OR

4-4-2 Soccer Bar
1739 SE Hawthorne Blvd, Portland, OR ‎

... someone likes their Bosnian hot-spots.

Renoir

What is the cost of living for all these convience?
It really looks like a nice place to live in.
But i have a feeling, that all that is shown is the postcard.(kinda of like Miami.. people think of the beach when really miami-dade area isnt all that cracked up to be.)
What is it like where people actually live?

maliedoo

What is the cost of living for all these convience?
It really looks like a nice place to live in.
But i have a feeling, that all that is shown is the postcard.(kinda of like Miami.. people think of the beach when really miami-dade area isnt all that cracked up to be.)
What is it like where people actually live?

The closer you are to downtown the more expensive it is, like any city.
Plenty of suburbs that are affordable. You can definitely find a nice neighborhood for a decent price (buying or renting). Plenty of grocery stores, convenience stores, etc.
Crime depends on the region, seems to be that NE and SE Portland is where its fairly high, but it can always fluctuate.

Traffic usually sucks most of the day. (like any bigger city)
Decent public transportation. Constant road construction everywhere, lol.

Lots of "green" places and ways to live, as well as foods for variety of diets.

I would probably recommend SW portland, west linn, lake oswego, parts of clackamas, tualatin, tigard... so on.

Renoir

I see.
How is the job scene.
Do i need to have a PHD in w/e to get something decent..
Is my computer electronics certificate going to take me places??

I see.
How is the job scene.

Is that for retail? We have frys and best buy, apple and Sony stores... Portland is pretty nice. Def different from Miami I am sure.

Seattle might be better for jobs.

Anyone have recommendations on insurance companies out in Portland? Need to get new car and renters insurance and would like a good personable person to deal with for decent prices. Anyone have any ideas? I deal with a small company today and am kind of getting hosed with higher prices, and would like to lower them slightly.

maliedoo

I see.
How is the job scene.

You don't need to really have a degree, just good connection unless you're starting out and dont know anyone. There are also lots of start ups and small businesses in the northwest that you could get into, and go from there.

Im half-way through my degree and Im a network admin for a software company.

Renoir

You don't need to really have a degree, just good connection unless you're starting out and dont know anyone. There are also lots of start ups and small businesses in the northwest that you could get into, and go from there.

Im half-way through my degree and Im a network admin for a software company.
Thank you for all the info.

I hope you're not also an English major--I don't need more competition (for what little exists for people with my background)!
Nope, medieval studies major. Going to a Subway sandwich shop to work tomorrow. We'll see how that goes!

Edit- got two hours of work. I better get paid at least for stocking their fridges

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
So I got fired yesterday. Not exactly the biggest surprise, but it kinda came before I was ready.

No matter, start looking for new jobs. I had already been trying (slowly) to get into a web dev spot at CDBaby, and today I just start putting resumes out to anything that looks suitable. Which resulted in a pretty quick call back from a recruiter, since I had unknowingly applied to the very company that had just fired me. Whoops.

The really funny part was when she said "no worries, I've got this other opportunity that could work for you, at a company called CDBaby...."

At least the good news is, for tech people, there are still options. I mean, I am unemployed, I am scared, but I'm not yet really in trouble.

My friend says last thursday sucks anyway, I just want to meet some new people.

Sorry about your job Hop.

It's just something to go to and see rather than stay home for me. We could all meet in front of Dar Salam at 8ish then do like me, TD and Xander did last time which is point and laugh at various stuff. And fail to get in bars. No idea what's up with Alleyway lately.

Last Thursday is at least an excuse to get out, and there's occasionally some really cool art/whatever stuff there. But yeah, I'm sure there will be plenty of dad rock cover bands to laugh at and bars to complain about noise in/not be allowed into. It was still a lot of fun.

We should organize a downtown bar meetup sometime maybe, do the Ringler's/Valentine's/Shanghai Tunnels loop.

Regarding the Last Thursday stuffs:

The city is apparently taking over Last Thursday for tonight. Maybe going forward, too.

First & Last Thursdays are weird, to me. It feels less like an appreciation of Portland's art scene, and more like Portland's art scene is an excuse to drink free wine and stumble around downtown with your dog.

(Last Thursday is like First Thursday, except on Alberta, and sometimes people are barefoot)

and good luck, Hop. Although it sounds like you're gonna find something sooner rather than later.

Hey! Loving this thread been following it for a while. Though one thing I haven't seen been brought up is Portland's amazing comedy scene right now. There are a lot of bad shows in this city like any major scene. But the talent here is some of the best in the country right now.

I love performing here and work at helium quite often. As well as shows all around town. Don't want to come in here to promote my self but will say that tonight I'm opening for Ron Funches who's one of the best comics coming up right now at Mississippi studios. He's from Portland but moved to LA last year. He's fucking amazing.

But anywho I mostly want to know if you guys ever see shows around here? We have Helium, the bridgetown festival, monthly shows like Portland as Fuck and Funny over everything. Smaller clubs like curious comedy and the Brody etc....

Check out guys Ian Karmel, Sean Jordan, Shane Torres, Nathan Brannon, Tim Hammer, Zak Tosconi, Gabe Dinger, Barbra Holm, and my names Anthony Lopez.

Hey! Loving this thread been following it for a while. Though one thing I haven't seen been brought up is Portland's amazing comedy scene right now. There are a lot of bad shows in this city like any major scene. But the talent here is some of the best in the country right now.

I love performing here and work at helium quite often. As well as shows all around town. Don't want to come in here to promote my self but will say that tonight I'm opening for Ron Funches who's one of the best comics coming up right now at Mississippi studios. He's from Portland but moved to LA last year. He's fucking amazing.

But anywho I mostly want to know if you guys ever see shows around here? We have Helium, the bridgetown festival, monthly shows like Portland as Fuck and Funny over everything. Smaller clubs like curious comedy and the Brody etc....

Check out guys Ian Karmel, Sean Jordan, Shane Torres, Nathan Brannon, Tim Hammer, Zak Tosconi, Gabe Dinger, Barbra Holm, and my names Anthony Lopez.

Would you like to post some links to comedy clubs/regular events I can put in the OP?

You got fucking ROBBED at Portland's Funniest.

However, I told a couple people at one of our recent editorial meetings that you're probably getting it in the next year or two.

Devo: Here's some shows I know of:

Down to Funny
- happens monthly at the East Burn.
Weekly Recurring Comedy Night - Whitney Streed's showcase at the Tonic Lounge
Funnier on the Inside - TARDIS Room just started their own monthly showcase
No Joke - Not as regular as it used to be. Now at the Fixin' To
Portland as Fuck - Ian Karmel's showcase (not too many of these left) at the Hawthorne Theatre
Tristian Spillman hosts a night at the Bagdad every week (first time I saw Anthony was at one of those showcases)
Down & Dirty Comedy - Patrick Perkins hosts this at the Ash Street every month. Bit of a sicker/more twisted focus.
Funny Over Everything - Not every month, but when it does hit, it's guaranteed gold. Hollywood Theatre.

There's a couple I'm forgetting, I'm working off the top of my head. But those are all showcases I've either personally had a good time at, or I've heard nothing but good things about it.

Later this month, there's some good shows comin through. Pete Holmes is tomorrow night (6/28), Dylan Moran's the following night, Neil Hamburger's comin back in July, so is Jackie Kashian (she's recording an ep of her podcast) and I think the next day they're doing the Erotic Fan-Fiction Contest.

Lemme & Heffernan of Broken Lizard are coming through in July, too.

Top Bottom