• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Post Batman: Arkham series, wondering how best to do a full Gotham City

Honestly, I'm just throwing out ideas. I've never even played LA Noire but I was under the impression that the detective work was more elaborate than you described. I understand what you mean about the variance though. What if being Bruce Wayne was part of that variance though? What if you could change into Bruce Wayne pretty much at will, you just had to duck into a quiet alley or a phone booth like Superman. You could use it to get places that Batman can't go. Lets say you had a mission where you had to get into a heavily armed sky scraper. You could either break some side entrance with Batman, fighting through a bunch bad guys and hacking your way in, or you could duck into a corner, change into bruce, walk in, and slip into a bathroom and change back into Batman. It would also be cool if you could change into Matches Malone to get info out of people without beating the crap out of them like Batman. Maybe Matches could even have some kind of dialogue system.

Turning into Bruce could also be like the beginning of AC, you could still fight and climb on buildings, but you wouldn't have all of the gadgets.

Whatever they do, I would love some actual passage of time. This "everything happens in a single night" shit really bugs me. I'm obviously not talking about daytime segments, but maybe like Shadow of Mordor where a few days pass when you die or fast travel.

Whatever they do, I would love some actual passage of time. This "everything happens in a single night" shit really bugs me. I'm obviously not talking about daytime segments, but maybe like Shadow of Mordor where a few days pass when you die or fast travel.

It's funny that they're pretty long games too. The average game goes longer than 10 hours and if you complete everything you are well over 24 hours. Maybe Gotham is in Alaska.

Lingitiz

The bolded would be great. I don't even think it would necessitate being fully open world either. You could have these things before a specific level or stage.

Actually now that I think about it, a more streamlined version of the heist system in GTA5 would be kind of cool in a Batman game. Think about something like the scene in TDK where Batman goes to Hong Kong and has to go through multiple levels of planning to escape.

Origins' Mr. Freeze DLC had what seemed like dusk/late evening, yet still felt thematically appropriate. Passage of time could be tied entirely to story progression and still be fine though — just have a certain amount of events in the main game push the time forward. It would help with the sense of progression some people say they want, I'd imagine. No one would feel like there's too much being thrown at them all at once if it's spread out across days/weeks within the game.

So, just for clarity: walking around an environment wall humping the geometry in order find the individual art assets...

L.A. Noire is a bad example of what Bruce Wayne sequences could be like (and a bad example of a detective game) and you'd be best served spending your time dissecting a better one. Actual point-and-click games like the Returns game mentioned above would be a better direction, and could be applied to Batman gameplay instead or in addition. Make a long post about that instead, or use your imagination a bit.

VR detective segments (for any game featuring that type of gameplay) would provide an interface streamlined enough to allow for interesting scenarios/crime scenes interacted with through "point-and-click" gameplay. as point-and-click gameplay is now, you can't reasonably ask someone perform engaging, minute actions (e.g. dust this particular spot of a book for prints) in games that don't have fleshed-out minute control. That's why such segments are just palette cleansers in so many games — the degree of control isn't enough to realistically make those segments engaging without running the risk of making an obtuse, interest-losing segment.

Sounds like you want to post in this thread.

RedSwirl

I felt like "Gotham City" was the next logical step after Asylum to be honest.

But for Batman games in general, I recently realized Thief II and Chaos Theory are pretty much the perfect structure for a Batman game. Classic Thief in particular would work really well for any Zorro/Batman type of character.

Origins' Mr. Freeze DLC had what seemed like dusk/late evening, yet still felt thematically appropriate. Passage of time could be tied entirely to story progression and still be fine though — just have a certain amount of events in the main game push the time forward. It would help with the sense of progression some people say they want, I'd imagine. No one would feel like there's too much being thrown at them all at once if it's spread out across days/weeks within the game.

Yeah, that would be great. I never played the Origins DLC.

Shaanyboi

Banned
This thread is a goldmine of the some of the worst ideas I've ever heard.

Can someone, anyone, think of another game that could serve as a template for what these theoretical Bruce Wayne segments could play like? Or any sort of gameplay loop that could be described as anything other than GPS gaming or holding up and looking at the pretty art?

Telltale/Dontnod-style dialogue sections with characters who may or may not be up to no good, walking around Wayne Tower and going to your Applied Sciences division to pick out upgrades you may eventually want to get, action/stealth setpieces where Bruce doesn't have time to go grab his batsuit from the back of his car, training at Wayne Manor, investigating shit during the day...

As it stands they've only ever explored one facet of the whole Batman character, and rarely ever stepped outside of that. As it stands, Batman has never felt like a character who has a real duality to him. He's never felt like someone who has one obsession, but still isn't sure what he wants out of his life outside the costume (or if there even is a life outside the costume.) Gotham has never felt alive in these games, in no small part due to the fact that elements like the Batmobile etc. inherently bring up gameplay problems with stuff like public endangerment which inherently conflicts with the character. Not to mention the way they design that world is very detail-heavy, and once you throw a shit-ton of AI civilians walking around, cars, etc. it becomes a way tougher nut to crack. Hell, if you let players have Batman just float down to the streets and walking around among the civilian populace like nothing was up, that would feel really out of place. But then is it Rocksteady's/whoever's job to prevent that kind of stuff, or do they need to embrace it and still find a way for it to work while letting the player figure out themselves "this is too dumb, I'm gonna stick to swinging on the rooftops."

But we've never seen Batman just go on patrol, stop some random muggers, or quietly investigating something, going back to the batcave to analyze some evidence, and then go "I can't get close to this person... but Bruce Wayne can." They've sold four games on the idea of "WITNESS BATMAN'S LONGEST NIGHT AS HE FIGHTS A TON OF DUDES OVER THE COURSE OF LIKE 10 HOURS!"

Sober

I would say that I would prefer more of an approach where the game is more like a set of vignettes like CCH tied together in the same overworld. So maybe how AssCreed games execute open world and story but overlay that with how Arkham games play.

A longer form example I suppose would be like how Harvey Dent becomes Two-Face which I would guess is maybe where a good brunt of the Bruce Wayne stuff might show up. Not much gameplay stuff, but for flavour. Maybe sprinkle a few of those mission throughout the course of the game until shit hits the fan and you need to see it through. Whereas something like CCH you can conceivably do in one night or other short events (like if you adapted the TAS Man-Bat episode as a "one night" string of missions for instance) but longer stuff like Bat-family things should be side missions that you need to eventually fill in to progress the main storyline, like training Robin(s) during routine patrol scenarios or, Batgirl, etc. Not sure how you would handle periodic supervillain appearances though.

Still don't know how you'd tie the game together unless you want to just wrap everything under "Batman years 3-6" or something in a game and just let the villain stories appear more organically rather than having them all crowd in for about 10 hours of night.

I don't want Bruce Wayne segments to even be semi-regular in a Batman game, but if you're going to say someone's ideas are bad, at least provide some kind of alternative taht accomplishes the same thing.
An alternative to what? I think the games are structured well already, there's no need to break it up with needless pace breaking sections that serve no purpose other than to keep you away from the fun stuff. People BEGGED for the Batmobile and look what happened there. I can't think of a single time batman was ever on a populated Main Street in any medium aside from the 60s show so I don't think civilian interactions are an issue that even needs to be discussed.

More of those sections where you rewind through crime scenes would be alright I guess.

Actually, I'd rather have a TV-style mission structure more similar to MGSV, with more self contained missions that take place over a number of nights, like the events on the Animated series. The scenario design of one night, all villains working together, super fucking important defcon 1 event is boring now, so a TV-style structure where the villains plans are self contained independent and spread out is preferable IMO.

Generally, I'm bored with the overall current Arkham aesthetic anyway, and I was never a fan of how the areas looked. The next game would benefit greatly in terms of gameplay variety & art style if it went Batman Beyond. Playing with a similar moveset for 4 games in a row was bound to get stale, and the futuristic setting offers a solution to that as well as most of the series' other problems. Detective sections that people want so much but can't be justified as of now, could be guided by the mentor Bruce Wayne, who could be turned off on higher difficulties, which allows for more in depth investigatory work that doesn't deter casual players.

Hoping we get a few years off now and a reboot.

I want a game similar to Batman Begins. I want to see Bruce starting at the beginning. I want him to investigate cases. I want Gotham to not be a city 100% with thugs/criminals and bad guys.

Player 1 can be Batman.

Player 2 is Superman.

EDIT: Regarding civilians, Arkham Origins actually has a few of them, but they don't really traverse the city. Instead, they show up in predator maps, and sometimes when you freak the bad guys out enough, they take civilians hostage and shoot them if they see you. If the civilian dies, it's game over.

KDC720

I agree. If were just talking about the main story of each game, then I suppose its plausible that they can all happen in one night, but it completely goes out the window if you take the side stuff into account (with the possible exception of Asylum). City especially, Batman is literally dying for most of that game, yet he has time to stop a hitman, solve a murder mystery, listen to Zaszz rattle on about his origin story, blow up titan canisters, and collect a bunch of riddler trophies.

I think it would be a lot better to divide the game into chapters, and have each one take place on a different night, each with their own unique sidequests and activities.

An alternative to what? I think the games are structured well already, there's no need to break it up with needless pace breaking sections that serve no purpose other than to keep you away from the fun stuff. People BEGGED for the Batmobile and look what happened there. I can't think of a single time batman was ever on a populated Main Street in any medium aside from the 60s show so I don't think civilian interactions are an issue that even needs to be discussed.

More of those sections where you rewind through crime scenes would be alright I guess.

Actually, I'd rather have a TV-style mission structure more similar to MGSV, with more self contained missions that take place over a number of nights, like the events on the Animated series. The scenario design of one night, all villains working together, super fucking important defcon 1 event is boring now, so a TV-style structure where the villains plans are self contained independent and spread out is preferable IMO.

The "TV style mission over a number of nights" is implicitly broken up already. Whether some segments are in or out of costume is not an impediment to flow if you've already made the decision to segment the game instead of taking place in a single continuous open world.

"Preventing you from getting to the fun stuff" seems like a premature concern, like you've already determined that what you could do as Wayne is not fun and only punching / choking out thugs could be enjoyable. The detective stuff in the Arkham series has been anemic at best and working out how you could make that fun is one of the main challenges people have been talking about ITT. But Bruce also gives you other opportunities like social encounters and more "public espionage" instead of just conventional sneaking.

One idea I'm thinking of is a semi-linear mission structure where one "questline" would have some minor variations based on your performance as a detective. Doing the bare minimum work has Batman being pretty reactive, while being a bit more thorough and deducing something might allow you to go into the next phase of the mission more prepared, or even intercept the villain before he makes his next move (a kind of alternate end to the quest). It would be a bit Deus Exish.

Teeth

L.A. Noire is a bad example of what Bruce Wayne sequences could be like (and a bad example of a detective game) and you'd be best served spending your time dissecting a better one. Actual point-and-click games like the Returns game mentioned above would be a better direction, and could be applied to Batman gameplay instead or in addition. Make a long post about that instead, or use your imagination a bit.

I've used my imagination quite a bit, thanks, but I save my good ideas for my own games, not Rocksteady's. That said, I can say with almost 100% certainty that Rocksteady has already tried to implement detective style missions into the existing Arkham games and have likely scaled them back to what they exist as now because they likely weren't fun at all. You can see the remnants of them with the follow-the-footsteps stuff and the tracking stuff and really, literally everything that has to do with Riddler trophies is that absolute best case scenario for "detectivizing" Batman in these games. In essence, they cover that base over multiple facets:
1) Word Riddles - deductive reasoning
2) Spatial Puzzles - utilizing a ruleset to solve a given problem
3) Hidden Trophies - thorough investigation and spatial reasoning

Those are the hallmarks of detective work. The reason they are relegated to side stuff is the same reason that puzzles in action adventure games are either
a) for babies
b) optional (non-critical path)
Because when a user gets stuck on a puzzle, they are no longer playing the game. I don't mean that they quit, I mean that there is nothing for them to do if they don't "get" a puzzle. Take Batman, for instance: If a user is stuck on a particularly difficult fight, they can try and lose and try and lose and try and lose and they will still be PLAYING the game. They will still be interacting with the systems, picking up nuances, learning, growing, experiencing. Ditto for a Predator encounter. If, instead, there was a Riddler word question gating progress and the user didn't get it, they aren't doing anything. There's nothing really to try, the actual solving of a puzzle is all in the user's head. They can't "get better" through practice at the puzzle. They can eliminate possible fail states until they find the correct answer, but that isn't getting better at the game. It's rote tedium. Additionally, any good puzzle generally asks the user to "think outside the box" or outside the ruleset, to give them that "A HA!" moment when they see the trick. As such, ruling out possible fail states is kind of pointless since the answer of most good puzzles exists outside the obvious puzzle states.

Which is basically a detailed way of explaining why the detective stuff should continue to exist the way it is. Once you strip Batman down to Bruce Wayne, you gain nothing but a change of scenery and lose all of the play space you get with those wonderful toys.

VR detective segments (for any game featuring that type of gameplay) would provide an interface streamlined enough to allow for interesting scenarios/crime scenes interacted with through "point-and-click" gameplay. as point-and-click gameplay is now, you can't reasonably ask someone perform engaging, minute actions (e.g. dust this particular spot of a book for prints) in games that don't have fleshed-out minute control. That's why such segments are just palette cleansers in so many games — the degree of control isn't enough to realistically make those segments engaging without running the risk of making an obtuse, interest-losing segment.

Sounds like you want to post in this thread.

There's a couple of things here: I personally think PnC "gameplay" is some of the worst around. It too often is a mixture of the worst types of things a game can have: one-to-one lock and key progress gating, invariate solution systems, a complete lack of interactivity, and "divining what the designer wants" rather than getting a ruleset and exploring and solving within it.

When it's done right, it's just clever gating; it's the shit you do between the actual good gameplay parts of games. It's content tourism. It's tell me a joke when I try all the wrong things until I try the right thing.

The experience of finding solutions exists OUTSIDE the playspace of the game - it relies on cultural context and knowledge (what does X do with Y, when Y just a social construct?) rather than presenting rules and allowing the user to play within them.

Real puzzles are more like the Layton ones: Here are the rules, here's what you can do, figure it out or find the trick. And Batman has a bunch of those: they are the Riddler's spatial puzzles.

Now, I wouldn't be opposed to detective sections employing more spatial puzzles and reasoning. This is what I thought the Origins crime scenes were going to be. Unfortunately they were just GPS gaming; rewind until it highlights what to press X on and then fastforward/rewind until you find the next thing to press X on. They were a quick time event at its slowest possible speed.

Telltale/Dontnod-style dialogue sections with characters who may or may not be up to no good, walking around Wayne Tower and going to your Applied Sciences division to pick out upgrades you may eventually want to get, action/stealth setpieces where Bruce doesn't have time to go grab his batsuit from the back of his car, training at Wayne Manor, investigating shit during the day...

All of this would be better with Batman than Wayne. It would literally be de-powering you and making you go through tailing or forced stealth sequences without gadgets or abilities. How would you handle fail states?

But more importantly...why? Why create all that new art just so that you can take away all the things that make Batman fun? Why not instead use that time to create more elaborate situations that make fuller use of the combinatorial power of Batman's gadgets?

As it stands they've only ever explored one facet of the whole Batman character, and rarely ever stepped outside of that. As it stands, Batman has never felt like a character who has a real duality to him. He's never felt like someone who has one obsession, but still isn't sure what he wants out of his life outside the costume (or if there even is a life outside the costume.) Gotham has never felt alive in these games, in no small part due to the fact that elements like the Batmobile etc. inherently bring up gameplay problems with stuff like public endangerment which inherently conflicts with the character. Not to mention the way they design that world is very detail-heavy, and once you throw a shit-ton of AI civilians walking around, cars, etc. it becomes a way tougher nut to crack. Hell, if you let players have Batman just float down to the streets and walking around among the civilian populace like nothing was up, that would feel really out of place. But then is it Rocksteady's/whoever's job to prevent that kind of stuff, or do they need to embrace it and still find a way for it to work while letting the player figure out themselves "this is too dumb, I'm gonna stick to swinging on the rooftops."

Saying it's Rocksteady's job to make it work is a fool's errand. They made it work by making the games the way they are. Once you add civilians everything changes. World design can't be these intricately layered fun houses with good flow because the chain link fences, and narrow roads that go nowhere aren't conducive to reality. Arkham is created as a playground, not a life sim.

I guess that's the difference between me and anyone who wants GTA: Batman - I couldn't give a fuck about making the city feel "lived in". All that does is lead to a ton of development that actively makes the game worse. Wide roads with cars in the way that just act as aimless pipes. Urban sprawl. Areas of houses that are worthless levels. More compartmentalized "here is where you can fight and here is where you can't". Binary reaction states where you get to run away from instead of into danger. A ton of worthless space.

But we've never seen Batman just go on patrol, stop some random muggers, or quietly investigating something, going back to the batcave to analyze some evidence, and then go "I can't get close to this person... but Bruce Wayne can."

You know what games do this? Assassin's Creed. It's terrible.

I don't want Bruce Wayne segments to even be semi-regular in a Batman game, but if you're going to say someone's ideas are bad, at least provide some kind of alternative that accomplishes the same thing.

No, I'm doing the correct thing: You don't add something because you think it might be fun. You analyze it, realize it would be total shit and add nothing and throw it in the garbage. An editor is what more games need.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Primarily, they need to get entirely away from Arkham. Start from scratch. That doesn't mean another intro story, but reset the universe to fit around the new series, not the other way around. Maybe even ditch Batman for an entry. We have an excellent character to start a series around in Batwoman. Maybe give her a chance to shine in a game.

The passage of time element doesn't need to be so constrained. Just craft the story around the events happening during the course of a week. At certain segments, Kate retires to her headquarters for the day and goes back out at night. Each game besides Asylum had break points, so just use those natural pauses in the story to jump the time ahead. It's a small thing, but every game since Asylum tried to mimic that game's frame, even though it never fit outside of that one game.

Some Nobody

I've used my imagination quite a bit, thanks, but I save my good ideas for my own games, not Rocksteady's. That said, I can say with almost 100% certainty that Rocksteady has already tried to implement detective style missions into the existing Arkham games and have likely scaled them back to what they exist as now because they likely weren't fun at all. You can see the remnants of them with the follow-the-footsteps stuff and the tracking stuff and really, literally everything that has to do with Riddler trophies is that absolute best case scenario for "detectivizing" Batman in these games. In essence, they cover that base over multiple facets:
1) Word Riddles - deductive reasoning
2) Spatial Puzzles - utilizing a ruleset to solve a given problem
3) Hidden Trophies - thorough investigation and spatial reasoning

Those are the hallmarks of detective work. The reason they are relegated to side stuff is the same reason that puzzles in action adventure games are either
a) for babies
b) optional (non-critical path)
Because when a user gets stuck on a puzzle, they are no longer playing the game. I don't mean that they quit, I mean that there is nothing for them to do if they don't "get" a puzzle. Take Batman, for instance: If a user is stuck on a particularly difficult fight, they can try and lose and try and lose and try and lose and they will still be PLAYING the game. They will still be interacting with the systems, picking up nuances, learning, growing, experiencing. Ditto for a Predator encounter. If, instead, there was a Riddler word question gating progress and the user didn't get it, they aren't doing anything. There's nothing really to try, the actual solving of a puzzle is all in the user's head. They can't "get better" through practice at the puzzle. They can eliminate possible fail states until they find the correct answer, but that isn't getting better at the game. It's rote tedium. Additionally, any good puzzle generally asks the user to "think outside the box" or outside the ruleset, to give them that "A HA!" moment when they see the trick. As such, ruling out possible fail states is kind of pointless since the answer of most good puzzles exists outside the obvious puzzle states.

Which is basically a detailed way of explaining why the detective stuff should continue to exist the way it is. Once you strip Batman down to Bruce Wayne, you gain nothing but a change of scenery and lose all of the play space you get with those wonderful toys.

There's a couple of things here: I personally think PnC "gameplay" is some of the worst around. It too often is a mixture of the worst types of things a game can have: one-to-one lock and key progress gating, invariate solution systems, a complete lack of interactivity, and "divining what the designer wants" rather than getting a ruleset and exploring and solving within it.

When it's done right, it's just clever gating; it's the shit you do between the actual good gameplay parts of games. It's content tourism. It's tell me a joke when I try all the wrong things until I try the right thing.

The experience of finding solutions exists OUTSIDE the playspace of the game - it relies on cultural context and knowledge (what does X do with Y, when Y just a social construct?) rather than presenting rules and allowing the user to play within them.

Real puzzles are more like the Layton ones: Here are the rules, here's what you can do, figure it out or find the trick. And Batman has a bunch of those: they are the Riddler's spatial puzzles.

Now, I wouldn't be opposed to detective sections employing more spatial puzzles and reasoning. This is what I thought the Origins crime scenes were going to be. Unfortunately they were just GPS gaming; rewind until it highlights what to press X on and then fastforward/rewind until you find the next thing to press X on. They were a quick time event at its slowest possible speed.

All of this would be better with Batman than Wayne. It would literally be de-powering you and making you go through tailing or forced stealth sequences without gadgets or abilities. How would you handle fail states?

But more importantly...why? Why create all that new art just so that you can take away all the things that make Batman fun? Why not instead use that time to create more elaborate situations that make fuller use of the combinatorial power of Batman's gadgets?

Saying it's Rocksteady's job to make it work is a fool's errand. They made it work by making the games the way they are. Once you add civilians everything changes. World design can't be these intricately layered fun houses with good flow because the chain link fences, and narrow roads that go nowhere aren't conducive to reality. Arkham is created as a playground, not a life sim.

I guess that's the difference between me and anyone who wants GTA: Batman - I couldn't give a fuck about making the city feel "lived in". All that does is lead to a ton of development that actively makes the game worse. Wide roads with cars in the way that just act as aimless pipes. Urban sprawl. Areas of houses that are worthless levels. More compartmentalized "here is where you can fight and here is where you can't". Binary reaction states where you get to run away from instead of into danger. A ton of worthless space.

You know what games do this? Assassin's Creed. It's terrible.

No, I'm doing the correct thing: You don't add something because you think it might be fun. You analyze it, realize it would be total shit and add nothing and throw it in the garbage. An editor is what more games need.

There's four of the kind of game you want, and they're all good. But I (and many others) am tired as fuck of that format and even when you put Batman on the shelf, if you bring him back in five years I'll still be tired. They need something else. They need to justify their open world they've been using, and if they're going to do that then the questions being asked in this thread are good ones.

Teeth

There's four of the kind of game you want, and they're all good. But I (and many others) am tired as fuck of that format and even when you put Batman on the shelf, if you bring him back in five years I'll still be tired. They need something else. They need to justify their open world they've been using, and if they're going to do that then the questions being asked in this thread are good ones.

I'd be fine if they never made another Batman game again.

So questions:
Do you think that GTA 'justifies' its open world by populating it with meaningless urban sprawl, pointless crowds, a day/night cycle, and NPC cars roaming the streets?

If you do, please explain how any of those things improve the gameplay in any way that doesn't involve the word "atmosphere".

Do you think that adding PnC adventure elements would improve the gameplay?

Do you think that adding Bruce Wayne sections that exist as templates of the Batman sections with less gameplay options would improve the gameplay?

RedSwirl

Generally, I'm bored with the overall current Arkham aesthetic anyway, and I was never a fan of how the areas looked. The next game would benefit greatly in terms of gameplay variety & art style if it went Batman Beyond. Playing with a similar moveset for 4 games in a row was bound to get stale, and the futuristic setting offers a solution to that as well as most of the series' other problems. Detective sections that people want so much but can't be justified as of now, could be guided by the mentor Bruce Wayne, who could be turned off on higher difficulties, which allows for more in depth investigatory work that doesn't deter casual players.

I had the same thought in regards to the idea of a "Gotham City" game. This is pretty much what the SNES Adventures of Batman & Robin game did, and I still think it's one of the best Batman games.

But in the end, I still don't think Batman actually HAS to be an open-world game. I'm serious when I say the Thief/Chaos Theory setup works pretty much perfectly for a Batman game.

Both Garrett and Sam Fisher basically have Batman-style utility belts and rely on stealth, as well as frequent no-kill rules. The missions to each of their games involve sneaking into vastly different places, usually in industrial settings. Thief II in particular imparts a feeling that all the levels take place in one city that has its own identity, despite being made of disconnected maps. The only thing that's really missing is a decent melee combat system.

Hell, even the overall template of Splinter Cell Blacklist wouldn't be terrible for a Batman game. Replace the AWACS with the Batcave.

Do you think that adding Bruce Wayne sections that exist as templates of the Batman sections with less gameplay options would improve the gameplay?

This is a real strange way of looking at it. The game routinely takes away player options in detective sections, or when you can't eject from the batmobile because it's a stupid boss fight or something.

I don't think anybody is asking for 50% of the game to be without the cowl, but Bruce Wayne is the public face of bats and allows him (story wise) to do things that Batman cannot do directly. Gameplay wise, this could take the form of stealth sections without access to the grapnel gun and normal gadgets ("less options" isn't always "worse", it can also be more interesting), it gives options for social encounters if you wanted to program them as a game system, it allows you to have (brief) sections where you walk around to take in a part of the game world we don't normally get to see because it's eternally night time in gotham. Bruce does not have a full utility belt but you could certainly give him some more subtle or disguised gadgets, it would be like taking over Robin or some other character for some parts of the game.

Teeth

I really don't want this to become me just shooting down everyone's ideas, but I'll go over these just for funsies:

This is a real strange way of looking at it. The game routinely takes away player options in detective sections, or when you can't eject from the batmobile because it's a stupid boss fight or something.

It's not a strange way of looking at it, it's looking at it directly: every one of those situations are the least engaging part of those games. The detective parts of Origins were boring (as outlined a few posts up), the little use-detective-vision-to-identify-path stuff is a means to an end, not gameplay in itself. The parts where they strip you of core controls and make everything WALK UP AND HIT X are garbage from a gameplay perspective. They are there to set up the good parts. And you yourself are showcasing why stripping the player from core controls just hamfist a boss fight in is generally bad. It's generally just not a good idea.

I don't think anybody is asking for 50% of the game to be without the cowl, but Bruce Wayne is the public face of bats and allows him (story wise) to do things that Batman cannot do directly. Gameplay wise, this could take the form of stealth sections without access to the grapnel gun and normal gadgets ("less options" isn't always "worse", it can also be more interesting),

It's rare. It's extremely rare. Can you think of a game that stripped the user of core controls and it improved gameplay for that section? In a FORCED STEALTH SEQUENCE no less?

They could always round out the mission structure with an escort mission pushing Oracle around too.

it gives options for social encounters if you wanted to program them as a game system,

This could be cool, but it'd have to be integrated everywhere. And it's unnecessary to have be with Wayne. Creating some sort of dynamic dialogue system with Batman listening to heartbeats and visualizing blood flow or some shit could be cool, but it doesn't need Wayne. I'll bring up the point: Who talks to a billionaire playboy about crime stuff? I guess you could have him go in disguise as a spy or something in some foreign country where they don't know who the king of fictional New York City is. Or have him interrogate his own employees with some mole-in-waynetech storyline, but it just seems like a lot of work for very little gain.

Make the system causal - not relegated to a mode switch. It's useable everywhere.

it allows you to have (brief) sections where you walk around to take in a parts of the game world we don't normally get to see because it's eternally night time in gotham. Bruce does not have a full utility belt but you could certainly give him some more subtle or disguised gadgets, it would be like taking over Robin or some other character for some parts of the game.

See, that's just content tourism. Finger to ear walking section. Listening to people talk while locked in a room section. Look at the art, hear the words, but adds nothing to the gameplay.

Batman was never about rushing through the busy streets of Gotham in plain sight/daylight, at least not in my book. I find the idea of Batman goofing off in the surroundings stupid, I thought he was a determined crimefighter, riding a bicycle down Mount Chiliad with Batman just feels wrong.

So I don't really see the point of a Gotham City GTA, then I find the excuses of why nobody (or so few) people are on the streets a bit jarring so they'd have to populate the city but what would come out of it? Some more "rescue that civilian that is about to get beat up"as in the other games? It's not adding something new. What situations could be created that couldn't be created in Arkham City? In the end it's like, yeah it's open world but also not really... just a larger map as previously.

The idea of Arkham City was perfect, it works much better than a half-there Gotham City for a Batman game. Developers may prove me wrong (and I would be glad if they do) but I don't see how a fully realized Gotham City has any benefits for Batman.

I'm not an enemy to open world in general but imo you shouldn't put Batman in a GTA concept.

It's rare. It's extremely rare. Can you think of a game that stripped the user of core controls and it improved gameplay for that section? In a FORCED STEALTH SEQUENCE no less?

They could always round out the mission structure with an escort mission pushing Oracle around too.

The Batman games already have "forced stealth sequences" called Predator Encounters and they are a fundamental pillar of game play. I argue that using Bruce in a stealth section through a hostile environment can be interesting because you are denied your get-out-of-gaol-free card that is the grapnel gun. It's certainly more challenging, but how similar or different from a regular encounter it might be entirely would depend on the design of the game. It's hard to talk about this on a specific level since I'm not imagining "Arkham 5.0: this time with bruce wayne scenes", I'm championing a more overhauled experience in general and more "conventional stealth' may be a part of that in general.

Regarding taking away options to the player, again, it happens all the damned time. Sometimes it sucks, sometimes it's fine, sometimes it's good. Nude-Raiden in MGS2 was a nice novelty and the prison break in KOTOR was a fun diversion from the main game. Instead of thinking about scenarios where we "take away player stuff" (which actually is common but I'm sure you'll argue that it's awful and never should happen), you can also think about scenarios where you do something out of the ordinary, take over another character with a different move set, and so on.

This could be cool, but it'd have to be integrated everywhere. And it's unnecessary to have be with Wayne. Creating some sort of dynamic dialogue system with Batman listening to heartbeats and visualizing blood flow or some shit could be cool, but it doesn't need Wayne. I'll bring up the point: Who talks to a billionaire playboy about crime stuff? I guess you could have him go in disguise as a spy or something in some foreign country where they don't know who the king of fictional New York City is. Or have him interrogate his own employees with some mole-in-waynetech storyline, but it just seems like a lot of work for very little gain.

Make the system causal - not relegated to a mode switch. It's useable everywhere.

If you want some concrete examples of espionage that Bruce might do, think back to The Dark Knight where Lucius uses a business meeting with somebody he knows is involved in something as a pretext to install some hardware in the building. That wasn't Wayne personally, but that's the kind of idea. Batman villains include ultra wealthy businessmen like Sionis, or lone genius types who might be interested in funding from Wayne Enterprises. You don't have to think too hard really. Lots of possibilities and you can look to movies, comics, tv shows etc for inspiration if you really need to. There's also times when he's not actually "Bruce Wayne", but it's more of a "not Batman" thing, Bruce going disguised as someone else to infiltrate something or other.

And yes you could also do it as Batman, but only in some scenarios. It's not always appropriate to bust in through the roof and scream "WHERE'S RACHAEL!!?!?!?!?!"

See, that's just content tourism. Finger to ear walking section. Listening to people talk while locked in a room section. Look at the art, hear the words, but adds nothing to the gameplay.

Aesthetic / creative diversity is a significant factor for why people are asking to spend a bit of time as Wayne. We see batman 24/7 in these games and always in basically the same scenarios.

Teeth

The Batman games already have "forced stealth sequences" called Predator Encounters and they are a fundamental pillar of game play. I argue that using Bruce in a stealth section through a hostile environment can be interesting because you are denied your get-out-of-gaol-free card that is the grapnel gun. It's certainly more challenging, but how similar or different from a regular encounter it might be entirely would depend on the design of the game. It's hard to talk about this on a specific level since I'm not imagining "Arkham 5.0: this time with bruce wayne scenes", I'm championing a more overhauled experience in general and more "conventional stealth' may be a part of that in general.

Predator missions aren't forced stealth sequences for two reasons:
1) You literally have every single move and ability that you would have otherwise (it takes nothing away, nor does it add anything). It's not a context switch, it's facing different enemies. It does the mechanics justice by giving the enemies guns, mines, etc. It changes the way you play by environmental cues and enemy patterns, not saying HERE'S A STEALTH SECTION NOW YOUR CONTROLS ARE DIFFERENT
2) The common use of "forced stealth sequence" refers to stripping the player of any/most types of combat and forcing them to get from A to B without being seen. Predator rooms are about hunting thugs down and not-murdering them.

Forced stealth sequences are usually fourth behind Escort Missions, Tailing Missions, and Water Levels in the Bad Ideas For Levels Handbook.

Regarding taking away options to the player, again, it happens all the damned time. Sometimes it sucks, sometimes it's fine, sometimes it's good. Nude-Raiden in MGS2 was a nice novelty and the prison break in KOTOR was a fun diversion from the main game. Instead of thinking about scenarios where we "take away player stuff" (which actually is common but I'm sure you'll argue that it's awful and never should happen), you can also think about scenarios where you do something out of the ordinary, take over another character with a different move set, and so on.

You misunderstand me: I don't mean that they rarely occur, I mean they are rarely good. They are in tons of games, no doubt. Everything from Dragon Age to Castlevania Lords of Shadow to Hotline Miami. They are there as "palette cleansers" and generally just elicit user responses of "thank god that's over". But yeah, I'd argue that they are usually pretty bad, depending on the macro game design. If your game is about stealth, stealth away. If your game isn't, then don't.

Batman is kind of halfway there.

I would seriously question how you would handle fail states on those parts though. What with Bruce Wayne being pretty notable.

If you want some concrete examples of espionage that Bruce might do, think back to The Dark Knight where Lucius uses a business meeting with somebody he knows is involved in something as a pretext to install some hardware in the building. That wasn't Wayne personally, but that's the kind of idea. Batman villains include ultra wealthy businessmen like Sionis, or lone genius types who might be interested in funding from Wayne Enterprises. You don't have to think too hard really. Lots of possibilities and you can look to movies, comics, tv shows etc for inspiration if you really need to. There's also times when he's not actually "Bruce Wayne", but it's more of a "not Batman" thing, Bruce going disguised as someone else to infiltrate something or other.

I'm still not sure how you could make a game out of it, aside from the aforementioned dialogue/lie detector/whatever scenario. I still think it would be horribly divorced from the core mechanics that way. Just a context switch, here's your dialogue section, pick one of five options to see a different cutscene, type of situation.

You could make it so that your dialogue choices as Wayne affected the level layout (number of thugs, geometry layout, ingress and egress points of levels, weapons available, etc.) for future missions, that'd be alright. They could make it so that you could gather intel in sidequests to better learn how characters would react to types of dialogue/demeanor approaches Alpha-Protocol-style, which would also give some decent exploratory motivations. So there could be some potential there, I just think it would be crow-barring in a feature for feature's sake (like the Batmobile).

EGM1966

The current mechanics and design simply wouldn't mesh with populated city INHO and lots of artificial restrictions and barriers would be required to make it remotely feasible which would preclude it being attempted IMO.

I'd be interested in a populated Gotham but it would require a different game in many ways. One that is designed around limits and controls when and how you can be Batman.

I'll note they could just dump a bunch of civilians in an Arkham game (as an aside its getting crazy how the Arkham brand has been so stretched) and just have them run away or whatever but that would be dumb and unsatisfactory IMHO.

Knight for me marked end of how far current approach can go - so I'd love a new approach. I doubt I'd buy another game in vein of Knight: after that, City and Origins in burned out on that design.

I'd like a return to narrative with linear flow like Asylum with Bruce Wayne segments and a more populated world (if not fully open world).

One where you might leverage Wayne's influence to gain entry to buildings, plant a way in then return as Batman, or have to manage as Wayne without gadgets for a bit, and one where as Batman you have to avoid civilians unless saving them and stick to rooftops.

This thread has been interesting to read. A few things that came to mind regarding civilians:

• Handling civilians and civilian vehicles doesn't need to be impossible. Crazy Taxi did this just fine back in '99 by simply having the civilians play a 'leaping out of the way' animation whenever your speeding car came close. Yes, it would probably be possible to get those rare instances when something clipped through (it happened in CT) but it was infrequent and didn't really ruin the notion that you weren't hurting anyone. We already have suspension of disbelief with Batman's "no killing" rule anyway, since I doubt anyone thinks the baddies you crash into and 'zap' in Arkham Knight would have survived in real life. We also already have instances in the Arkham games where the player is able do things that would definitely, with or without suspension of disbelief, kill cops (you can knock them into a massive pit during the Poison Ivy fight in Arkham Asylum, and I believe you can grapple cops over ledges to their deaths in Arkham Origins), so I wouldn't be too concerned with edge-case scenarios where players went out of their way to intentionally "kill" civilians.

If they went this route, I'd also simply have a large capsule volume that stretched a block or two in front of the car that would cause civilians to begin scattering immediately, so even by the time you caught up, they were already running out of your way. If the Batmobile is restricted to night sections, this would allow you to keep from having to deal with massive daytime crowds as well.

• For civilian cars, it would be the same system but with an airbag animation as a last resort if you managed to hit one. Basically just make them try to get out of your way well in advance (like GTA games if you're in a vehicle with a siren). If you manage to hit one, don't ever allow the vehicle to explode or take catastrophic damage and show airbags deploying inside just to further reinforce the idea the people are okay.

As for the idea of Bruce Wayne segments, I think something interesting could be done with them and could break up gameplay if that becomes a necessity, although for the record I'm not sure it would. Assuming that they were going to be added, however, here's how I would approach them.

• Rather than turn the game into "third-person Arkham Batman but with a Bruce Wayne model and set in daytime," I would change the type of gameplay for these segments to focus on something entirely different and mostly menu driven. Personally, I think a lite development/city manager type game would be a nice break. I'm thinking of stuff like Game Dev Tycoon or any of the countless mobile games that have you manage development of a small virtual empire.

• Specifically, you could use WayneCorp's R&D division combined with Bruce's social contacts to basically develop various aspects of your own little 'Bruce Wayne intelligence gathering and gadget creation empire.'

Work with Lucius Fox to emphasize tech developments in the areas you, the player, are most interested in. Use menus and selection screens (could be visualized through emails and texts) to work social angles that may give you intel for places to check out or things to do when playing as Batman. Do similar things with your underground contacts as well to probe for information or reveal new upgrade paths that would cycle back to things you could have Lucius research and develop.

These could even have their own questlines where certain intelligence or research paths would stall out at certain points until third-person, nighttime Batman went and fixed, found, or eliminated a particular thing. Possibly even have a branching path system worked in where choosing to eliminate or keep a gameplay 'widget' (can be a piece of tech, captured criminal, crime scene evidence, etc.) would alter what subsequent things happened in the daytime Wayne sections.

• This should not take up anywhere near half the player's time. Something like a 90/10 or 80/20 split at most between Batman/Wayne. I'm thinking more in line with the stuff the Assassin's Creed games did where you trained and sent junior assassins on missions, but with perhaps a little more flair. This is still a Batman game though, and these sections should mainly be there to give the player a bit of a breather to prevent fatigue.

• Finally, any walking around for these parts wold be limited to specific areas and could even be in first person to really drive home that this isn't simply more Batman with a Wayne skin. Maybe you could explore your mansion, Wayne Tower, and one or two other key locations, perhaps stand on your penthouse deck and overlook the city in daytime, but you wouldn't be allowed to go cruising around the streets. The point here isn't to make 'Batman with a Bruce Wayne skin' but give you a slightly different set of gameplay goals through other systems, most of which will probably be done through glorified menus. Again, think of the Renaissance Assassin's Creed bits where you walk through your mansion to choose armor, check with your fledgling assassins, choose weapons etc.

• Most of all though, I don't think having Wayne run around Gotham like a GTA character would work all that well. His Batman persona is where all the freedom lies, and making a restricted, redundant version of that wouldn't really offer anything particularly fun.

Since changes of pace already exist in these, crime scenes that are legitimate spatial puzzles rather than just following a highlighted path would fit fine. They don't need to be Bruce Wayne segments, yet there's nothing precluding one of those from being playable as Wayne while still being as engaging as the Batman equivalent either.

This goes back to me saying I only want to see playable Bruce Wayne as a setup for becoming Batman — while I don't believe there's much excitement to be had doing things only Bruce Wayne could do (e.g. board meetings), limits placed on the player can be engaging and be meaningful rather than a chore. Not sure I'd want a lot of time spent on this, but I imagine trying to play as Bruce Wayne after he became a vigilante, but before he became Batman, still having complete control, but facing enemies who never become afraid of him (if "fear" was fleshed out as a true gameplay mechanic). Segments that remove a key tool (like rigged gargoyles in Asylum) can make the player realize how dependent on that tool they've become and either make them realize they can overcome it or make them appreciate it more when they regain it. I'd agree to the extent that changing the core gameplay just to do truly Bruce Wayne centric stuff wouldn't be worth the trouble, but we can't assert that limiting the player is inherently worse than having them be at full power — Arkham Origins' DLC already starts out like this where you're still able to take out the criminals in Wayne Manor, there's just fewer gadgets. The Mr. Freeze fight in Arkham City is the best example of limits as they're all contextualized and none involve removing player abilities. Not sure how that can be achieved otherwise though.

And you've already given alternatives to accomplish the same thing a Bruce Wayne segment would provide — not sure why you think you've done nothing more than poke holes in other ideas or just fall back on what's already been done in the Arkham games.

Knight for me marked end of how far current approach can go - so I'd love a new approach. I doubt I'd buy another game in vein of Knight: after that, City and Origins in burned out on that design.

I'd like a return to narrative with linear flow like Asylum with Bruce Wayne segments and a more populated world (if not fully open world).

One where you might leverage Wayne's influence to gain entry to buildings, plant a way in then return as Batman, or have to manage as Wayne without gadgets for a bit, and one where as Batman you have to avoid civilians unless saving them and stick to rooftops.

I've never considered Arkham Asylum better than its sequels, but AK may have taken that approach to Batman games (no glaring artificial limits) to its fullest potential. The flimsy justifications are worth it imo, but an approach more along the lines of AA (only in scale) could be a good starting point.

I do believe that if a future game is relegated to smaller stages and interiors, its gameplay needs to be proportionately complex — fighting can't just be freeflow 2.0 on that scale. Such simple combat (at a base level) is understandable when you can fight 20 enemies at once all with different weapons designed specifically to give Batman trouble and being able to seamlessly leave the fight by grapnel/Batmobile. If a future game becomes more grounded, having what is essentially Arkham Knight but on a smaller scale will be a step back without gaining anything that either wasn't or couldn't be in AK. Finer control (and a demand for a higher degree of control) during combat will allow smaller fights to be as engaging as they were in the Arhkam series. Easier said than done, of course.

A similarly higher degree of control would be needed for anything detective work-related. Speaking generally, it would need to be dynamic, with either believable branching outcomes based on what players find/miss or with truly 1:1 outcomes. It should be nothing like the equivalent already in the Arkham series.

This thread has been interesting to read. A few things that came to mind regarding civilians:

• Handling civilians and civilian vehicles doesn't need to be impossible. Crazy Taxi did this just fine back in '99 by simply having the civilians play a 'leaping out of the way' animation whenever your speeding car came close. Yes, it would probably be possible to get those rare instances when something clipped through (it happened in CT) but it was infrequent and didn't really ruin the notion that you weren't hurting anyone. We already have suspension of disbelief with Batman's "no killing" rule anyway, since I doubt anyone thinks the baddies you crash into and 'zap' in Arkham Knight would have survived in real life. We also already have instances in the Arkham games where the player is able do things that would definitely, with or without suspension of disbelief, kill cops (you can knock them into a massive pit during the Poison Ivy fight in Arkham Asylum, and I believe you can grapple cops over ledges to their deaths in Arkham Origins), so I wouldn't be too concerned with edge-case scenarios where players went out of their way to intentionally "kill" civilians.

If they went this route, I'd also simply have a large capsule volume that stretched a block or two in front of the car that would cause civilians to begin scattering immediately, so even by the time you caught up, they were already running out of your way. If the Batmobile is restricted to night sections, this would allow you to keep from having to deal with massive daytime crowds as well.
  • For civilian cars, it would be the same system but with an airbag animation as a last resort if you managed to hit one. Basically just make them try to get out of your way well in advance (like GTA games if you're in a vehicle with a siren). If you manage to hit one, don't ever allow the vehicle to explode or take catastrophic damage and show airbags deploying inside just to further reinforce the idea the people are okay.

I liked the rest of your suggestions, and just wanted to say in particular touch on the fact that most anyone can suspend their disbelief sufficiently if they want to play such a game. No suggestion can 100 percent guarantee an absolute believable game world in a future Batman game, but cheating is forgivable here.

To me, the perfect Batman game would be arkham knight with day and knight cycles

The ability to remove your costume at will. (For example you gotta do some recon, investigating, etc... as bruce wayne)

And a city with regular citizens in it

Too much to ask?

Edit: Just read the thread, my ideas have already been mentioned

It honestly might be, depending on the degree to which the civilians are present in the city and what the player is able to do.

I wouldnt want or expect them to let you harm civilians. The biggest problem would be the batmobile but as ppl mentioned a get out of the way just in time animation would work fine for that. IMO

Platy

You either go rooftop only to avoid most civilian casualties and use the batmobile like gta's cab that has a scripted non destructible path ....

...or you make the next game based on Adam west Batman with Batman running in daylight with the mailman going "letter for Batman!" And other daylight stuff that would feel out of place otherwise

Pandy

Was thinking about making a similar thread, thanks for saving me the work, OP.

I very much lean toward the idea of having a GTA-esque 'living city', which you patrol from the rooftops. Crucially there should be lots and lots of good citizens around to protect from the occasional criminal, not just bands of roaming takedown fodder.

Would be fun if it started with Batman's initial appearance, so that you have to evade the cops. Especially Batmobile chases where you have to lose them through clever driving and gadget use before you can return to the Bat Cave. No Bat Tank.

Story revealed through stumbling across in-game events, hearing police radio calls, etc., which lead you on to the more in-depth confrontations with the major villains, although it would be fun to have some free-roaming villains too. Investigating crime-scenes should result in building a picture of events through which you have to make decisions, rather than just giving up the next waypoint.

Ends with
you the acknowledged hero, and donating the Bat Signal to Gotham PD for use in the sequel. Just like the end of Burton's Batman. :)

You either go rooftop only to avoid most civilian casualties and use the batmobile like gta's cab that has a scripted non destructible path ....

...or you make the next game based on Adam west Batman with Batman running in daylight with the mailman going "letter for Batman!" And other daylight stuff that would feel out of place otherwise
I didn't mention time of day, but I figured it would take place only at night against a (very generous) clock.
That said, as a fan of the Batman TV show, I'm also totally okay with a daytime Batman with full comedic implications. :)

To me, the perfect Batman game would be arkham knight with day and knight cycles

The ability to remove your costume at will. (For example you gotta do some recon, investigating, etc... as bruce wayne)

Too much to ask?

Heck you could even have a Matches Malone disguise.
3230048-matches_malone_bruce_wayne_dcau_001.png
3230024-bruce_wayne_btbatb_007.png

3230056-matches_malone_super_friends_001.jpg

Day and night cycle, fully populated with citizens. Bruce Wayne bets on stocks and shares, and buys up and coming technologies, while dating ladies, in the daytime, by night he is ... The Bat(man).

Too much to ask?

lol, I scrolled up a bit and read this. Guess I'd better read the thread now :(

As I said in a thread recently, I'd prefer the game to not be open world / traversal type deal. I *loved* the parts of AK where you're more or less in a closed-off area and everything was really tightly designed.

I'd still prefer this though, Asylum is still the greatest.

Platy

Seriously.

If you want a populated city than you have to base your game in a batman that you SEE a populated city =P

pPFYQGO.gif

bFF7eyN.gif

TSbgzxo.gif

eRRW016.gif

1ScuBCj.jpg

Afrodium

Banned
I think a lot of people here are severely overestimating how often Batman stories involve Bruce Wayne doing stuff during the day.

As far as tone is concerned, Batman '66 would allow players being among civilians. That could actually be really good.

I think a lot of people here are severely overestimating how often Batman stories involve Bruce Wayne doing stuff during the day.

Normal Bruce Wayne stuff has never been anything I've been interested — I'm more than open to segments like the opening to Arkham Origins' Cold, Cold Heart DLC though. Even something like Batman on the run from police in Mask of the Phantasm could be good, but the palyer's skillset would need to be scaled back from the Arkham games.

Voras

Are vehicles really necessary in a Batman game? You could already get around pretty quickly with the grapnel boost in City/Knight. I'm not sure how you could integrate civilians walking on the street while allowing the player to drive. Most games that do it are ones that either allow you to kill civilians or come up with strange workarounds. I'm not sure that driving really adds that much to the game anyway.

Personally the only thing that I really care about being added in a new Batman game would be a greater focus on the Bat Family.

Are vehicles really necessary in a Batman game? You could already get around pretty quickly with the grapnel boost in City/Knight. I'm not sure how you could integrate civilians walking on the street while allowing the player to drive. Most games that do it are ones that either allow you to kill civilians or come up with strange workarounds. I'm not sure that driving really adds that much to the game anyway.

Personally the only thing that I really care about being added in a new Batman game would be a greater focus on the Bat Family.

If this theoretical Batman game didn't have the Batman Begins-style memory cloth cape and instead had scaled back grapnel/swinging + fall damage (to make the city's scale more significant, gameplay-wise), a Batmobile/Batcycle/Batjet would be useful.

And whether something is necessary only depends on whether uses for it are added into a game — the line-launcher in every Batman game could've been unnecessary had there not been contrived segments designed to necessitate its use. So long as the thing being added is fun and well-made, a "justification" for it can be retroactively made.

Voras

If this theoretical Batman game didn't have the Batman Begins-style memory cloth cape and instead had scaled back grapnel/swinging + fall damage (to make the city's scale more significant, gameplay-wise), a Batmobile/Batcycle/Batjet would be useful.

And whether something is necessary only depends on whether uses for it are added into a game — the line-launcher in every Batman game could've been unnecessary had there not been contrived segments designed to necessitate its use. So long as the thing being added is fun and well-made, a "justification" for it can be retroactively made.

That's true. I just wonder if the Batmobile is more trouble than it's worth. It's tough to work around the civilian problem and at this point I think they've got to populate the world with characters that aren't all criminals. The Arkham games have really stretched that premise to the limit.

I would like to see a flyable Batjet though, that's one of the few Batman staples that we haven't gotten the chance to play with yet.

I'll preface by saying that I'm quite intrigued, and always have been, by the mythos of Batman and his cohorts, I'm not at all well-versed in it. I know most of the basic trivia.

For me, the main complaint in the Arkham games was the monotony of night fall. As I understand, Batman doesn't really traverse the world during the day time, and the idea of walking around as Bruce doesn't seem all to appealing to me. I feel the best way to combat this would be to have some sort of dynamic hostage situations where-in the Batman must help. A good example of this would be the Stock Market scene with Bane in The Dark Knight Rises. It would allow players to see the daytime version of Gotham, but it would also limit their interaction with the city, making so the developers don't account for street level civilians.

When I say dynamic, I mean mostly in the way that they're handled by the player. If I'm more of a gung-ho sort of Batman, I can break into the Stock Exchange and CQC* my way though the level. On the other hand, if I want to be stealthier, I can cut power and use the darkness to my advantage, making it similar to the Arkham games. Having multiple pays to approach a situation like this gives the player a bit more variety as well.

You could even give the player a choice to interact with these missions or not. Doing it this way gives Batman a way to interact with civilians that doesn't involve the Batmobile steamrolling over them at 8am on a Wednesday.

What if it approached mission based gameplay the way Metal Gear Solid V is?

Your base would be the Batcave, a constantly evolving and updating environment from which all your vehicles, gadgetry, and partners(Alred, Bathound, etc.) are. During the daytime you have the option of going around Gotham City as Bruce Wayne or incognito, getting new information for possible crimes and use your detective skills to make new connections. At nighttime you turn into the Batman and can use the Batcomputer to open up any available missions to engage in. You choose a vehicle and then are deployed into the city. If you want however you can deviate from the selected mission and engage in any trails you've managed to pick up on through your detective moves during the day or other nights. Returning to the Batcave or beating the mission would end the night. Staying out past sunrise as Batman would be game over.

Top Bottom