• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PR Release of the PSTwo??

From the playstation.com message boards, but it looks real damn official :D

Tokyo, September 21, 2004 – Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCEI), announced today a completely new look for the PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system (SCPH-70000), which will become available in Japan, North America and Europe for the year-end peak selling season. The new model will be available in stores on November 3rd in Japan, and on November 1st in North America and Europe.
While inheriting the basic functions and design philosophy of the current PlayStation 2, the internal design architecture has been completely overhauled, resulting in a slimmer and more lightweight design. Internal volume has been reduced by 75%, overall weight has been halved, and thickness trimmed down to 2.8 cm (thickness of current model is 7.8 cm). Its size is almost as small as a hardcover book, making it easier to carry around and enjoy games and DVD videos anytime, anywhere.

Equipped with an integrated Ethernet port for network gaming, the new PlayStation 2 sets new standards in the fusion of design and functionality. In North America, approximately 40% (*1) of the PlayStation 2 on-line game users connect their PlayStation 2 to the networks through analog modem and reflecting the American users’ preference, North American model is equipped with both Ethernet and modem ports. During the year-end peak-selling season, about 80 on-line game titles are expected for release in Japan, and 120 titles and 65 titles respectively for North America and Europe. With the launch of the new network ready(*2) PlayStation 2, the further expansion of the world of on-line gaming is accelerated.

Gaining an overwhelming support from a wide range of users from all over the world, more than 72 million units of PlayStation 2 have been shipped as of today. Strongly supported by software developers and publishers, PlayStation 2 is indisputably the most popular computer entertainment system in the world and the new design will position it for ever greater success over the next half of its life. In the run-up towards the launch, the new PlayStation 2, will be displayed at Sony Computer Entertainment Japan’s booth during the Tokyo Game Show 2004, held from Friday, September the 24th to Sunday, the 26th, 2004, at Makuhari Messe, together with a rich number of exciting and attractive new titles scheduled for release towards the end of the year.

With the new PlayStation 2, together with the lineup of forthcoming new game titles, SCEI will continue to contribute to expand the market and to create a new world of computer entertainment.

(*1) According to SCEI’s DNAS (Dynamic Network Authentication System) data.
(*2) Internet Service Provider and appropriate Internet access (e.g. ADSL, cable, fiber, etc.) required. For further details regarding network connection, on-line games and peripherals supported with the new model (SCPH-70000 CB), please visit our customer support website (http://www.playstation.jp/info/).

sonycowboy said:
While inheriting the basic functions and design philosophy of the current PlayStation 2, the internal design architecture has been completely overhauled, resulting in a slimmer and more lightweight design. Internal volume has been reduced by 75%, overall weight has been halved, and thickness trimmed down to 2.8 cm (thickness of current model is 7.8 cm). Its size is almost as small as a hardcover book, making it easier to carry around and enjoy games and DVD videos anytime, anywhere.
Oh I've gotta see this thing.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Nov. 1/2? Seems like a long time to wait to get this into retail channels when stocks of the existing models are depleted, from the sound of it. They just handed Sept. and Oct. 1st place in console hardware sales to Xbox. ;)

Solid

I bought a Satin Silver last November but I'm not gonna miss this edition. I hope we get to see screens soon.

Just for the sake of it let's post the photoshop picture.

img20040918091955.jpg

Chittagong

Gold Member
Hotsuma said:
Will Sony sell a screen for the PS2 similar to the one that was on the market for the PS One?

PSP is the "PSOne with LCD screen" of the 21st century.

Regarding the news in this thread, it seems that the PSTwo name is not happening. Too bad. Would have been cool.

WarPig

To put a finer point on it, I'm almost completely certain this is fake. Ain't on the wires, ain't on any Sony sites. And 2.8cm (barely more than an inch?) ain't likely.

DFS.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Not only it is not on SCE's extranets, the text is too short for a PR of this importance and there is no mention to the new name.

I don't think this is real (but I could be wrong, who knows)

Chittagong

Gold Member
It's a well written fake then. I didn't see any major inconsistencies, spelling mistakes or inaccurate terms. The writer also emulates well the typical PR way to spin certain most impressive numbers (75%, 2.8 cm) and give tangible comparisons (hardcover book). The more I look at it the more I'm impressed.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I'll just believe this until something confirmed comes out, doesn't hurt to hope a little...

Chittagong

Gold Member
It would be actually very funny if this would turn out to be real (which I think is still possible) altough it was deemed fake in few minutes, while another more obvious fake tricked everybody for longer.

Rhindle

Actually, it's not particularly well written. It's also way to vague and cursory for an official PR about such a major announcement.

Elios83

According to this press,the console won't be named Pstwo but it's simply considered a new model of the PlayStation2.
I think this is a good a move,this generation is not over as was the last one when the Psone was introduced so changing the name of the console would cause a lot of marketing problems.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Plus it lacks technical facts about how they managed to acomplish such size reduction. Some notorious quotes from Kutaragui or any other big fish should be there too.

I don't know, the more I see it the more convinced I am about its falseness.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Elios83 said:
According to this press,the console won't be named Pstwo but it's simply considered a new model of the PlayStation2.
I think this is a good a move,this generation is not over as was the last one when the Psone was introduced so changing the name of the console would cause a lot of marketing problems.

Makes sense. This isn't the PSone generation anymore. Back then people just called it the Playstation or PSX. So if you heard someone say PSone, you knew they were talking about the newer model. Now someone saying the PSone means both the old and new model Playstation.

Having a "PStwo" would be confusing for a lot of people. "Hey, can I get a PStwo?" Well asking for that at a store could get you the regular model or this new model. I could easily see how it would be bad for marketing. It would be much better for people to just ask for "that smaller PS2" or the model number.

impirius

Rhindle said:
Actually, it's not particularly well written. It's also way to vague and cursory for an official PR about such a major announcement.
The benefits to the customer come after technical details. Any good PR is going to come right out give you the gist of the marketing campaign.

Model number, DNAS... nope, not buying it.

EDIT: D'OH!

Chittagong

Gold Member
For reference, here is the June 08 2000 announcement of PSOne. I couldn't manage to find anymore a clean translation, but it gives a good idea of the structure.

8th June, 2000 - Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCEI) today announced a new-styled PlayStation(R) console positioned for the mobile network age, "PS One" (SCPH-100) for the Japanese market.

Since its debut in December of 1994, PlayStation has achieved cumulative shipments of 73 million units by May 31, 2000 - making it the most popular game console in the world. By inheriting the same functions and continuing the success of the current console, "PS one" will lead the PlayStation format into the new mobile network era.

A special adapter cable, available this winter, enables the entire PlayStation platform family (PlayStation, "PS one" and the PlayStation 2 computer entertainment system) to be connected to mobile phones - creating a massive new audience for network digital services, offering new forms of entertainment beyond traditional packaged content. This will bring about a new era of networked entertainment. With this mobile phone network connection, the user can download information, entertainment content and software programs in addition to exchanging data with other users, in a variety of ways.

The design of "PS one" is the result of radical size-reduction of the original PlayStation to position it for the mobile network era. While containing the same functions as the PlayStation game console, "PS one" has been condensed to approximately 1/3rd its size, making it easy to carry it anywhere. When connected to the specially designed "PS one" LCD monitor that is planned to be available next spring, it is possible to take the world of PlayStation entertainment with; from room to room, house to house and out and about in a car*.

SCEI plans to deploy servers to handle the large scale of this new network-based PlayStation audience (with over 17 million in Japan alone), as well as aggressively promoting the business opportunities and technology to 3rd Party software developers to create applications - helping to bring about a new entertainment lifestyle for the network-era.

WarPig

A special adapter cable, available this winter, enables the entire PlayStation platform family (PlayStation, "PS one" and the PlayStation 2 computer entertainment system) to be connected to mobile phones - creating a massive new audience for network digital services, offering new forms of entertainment beyond traditional packaged content.

Haw! I'd completely forgotten about that thing.

DFS.

teiresias

Personally, if this thing is sexy as hell, the original PS2 is getting regulated to Linux Box status permanently and the new sexy beast that is the PStwo is getting the place under the television.

neptunes

WarPig said:
Haw! I'd completely forgotten about that thing.

DFS.

:lol I remember seeing the PS0ne for the first time.

With that Cell Phone connected to the controller port, I wonder what happened to that?

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
At what time does this Sony Executive Strategy Meeting take place?

Edit: Nevermind. 9 hours from this minute. Ugh.

hirokazu

i don't think this press release is a fake, for one thing, it seems to agree with everything TTP has hinted at so far (i'm trusting that what he's told us is true), unless he also wrote up that press release :p

also, if it were fake, i think whoever wrote it would just go along with the speculated release date of Oct 26, rather than go off on a limb and declare the real release date as Nov 1 and Nov 3 for US/Europe and Japan respectively, although it does seem a little odd that even Europe is getting it before Japan.

has TTP ever said anything about the release date, or did he always go along with 10/26?

either way, i'll assume its real until we actually see what comes of the conference.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
The PR isn't even a very well CONSTRUCTED fake, people. You might think it is, but compare it to a real sony-issued PR and you'll see. Just giving it the once-over showed me about a half dozen things wrong with it.

Zer0

Banned
- GT4 will come bundled with ALL NEW DESIGNED PS2 - I can't post the pictures yet, I'll post them as soon my Source allowes me to do it - and the new PS2 looks LIKE PHUCKN ELLE McPHERSON IN HER BEST PHUCKN DAYS.

It is way slimmer then the old one, it it smaller, it has black-chromed stripe with carved PS2 logo on it, it has all the ports on that small, small body (controller, mc, 2 USB's, evrn the remote controller port) and it has got an ethernet adapter BUILT IN. Button layout has changed, and I can't even see where the drawer is, because there is no standard drawer-carves on it. But, from what I can tell, there is no slot-loader. It comes with slick stand for vertical displaying.

New PS2 (and it will not be called PStwo, as it is speculated all over the net in past few days) is even slimmer then the section with air-vents on old PS2. Look that and try to imagine PS2 srinked to that size. It is 20% lower and 20% less deep in width. It looks unphucknbelievable.

It is stunning piece of machine. Even better news is: it will cost as PS2 costs today. In Europe it is about 140 euros. In USA it will be even cheaper (don not blame yourselfs Europeans for your welthiness in contrary to American people). It will come out in Japan in next few months, bundeled with all the killer-apes for next season, and GT4 bundle will come as last one. European and American release still have to be confirmed.

So, prepare to kiss your old PS2 for the last time - Buckle up your seats Dorothy, because Kansas is going bye, bye.
http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showpost.php?p=1246949&postcount=38

Subitai

Deepthroat said:
I bought a Satin Silver last November but I'm not gonna miss this edition. I hope we get to see screens soon.

Just for the sake of it let's post the photoshop picture.

img20040918091955.jpg
If I was MS, those would instill lots of fear in me.

Top Bottom