• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PREMATURE EJACULA-TON: PS3 delayed until November 2006 in Japan?

human5892

Queen of Denmark
open_mouth_ said:
You've got lost of important games like Madden, the sports titles, Winning Eleven, RE5, Tom Clancy games, the Medal of Honor games, the next Spider-man, and... the next GTA.
Let's not go too crazy on the jump to conclusions mat.

kutaministeriraq.jpg

"These are merely speculation reports from another unreliable source."

jedimike said:
I smell some double penetration here (and it doesn't smell good)... MS to have a price drop and a Halo 3 release before PS3 hits the US.

Also, publishers aren't going to wait. I know there were quite a few PS3/360 simultaneous release titles planned for this year. With PS3 out of the picture... MS automatically gets timed exclusives for free.

Exactly. Some people are failing to realize this.

teiresias

jedimike said:
Maybe it's software problems. The more complicated these machines become (dashboards, streaming media, downloads, etc.) the harder it is to develop a safe, secure, stable environment.

The 360 is still very buggy...

Still, they are citing Blu-Ray copy protection specifically - which judging from other forums means the AACS stuff which will affect HD-DVD too. However, I really don't see why this all can't be remedied with firmware upgrades over the internet. I mean, why couldn't they launch console without the Blu-Ray player functionality - when there's no content anyway - and later push a firmware upgrade over the online system that sets up everything. You turn on your PS3, get a "Please wait, updating firmware . . ." notice, then a "Congratulations, this PS3 can now play full-featured Blu-Ray discs."

Of course, AACS may require hardware keys to be imbedded in the hardware, which may be an issue. I thought preliminary AACS specifications and keys were completely like two months ago though, so it's really all very confusing.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Xbox fans, don't get your hopes up yet.

I'm hearing Oct. 2006 launch window for PS3.

The PS3 event tonight/tomorrow will announce official release dates so we'll see then I guess.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
mj1108 said:
I can't believe some people actually believed it would launch in the Spring...

What people are fearing, is that the US launch has been pushed back into 2007. If that isn't the case, then this really will be a non-issue.

even so, an 11 month head start is a pretty big deal, especially when we start seeing 360 on shelves widely available.

i guess the only thing this really means for me is it give me more time to save for the ps3 while not having to miss out on some big 360 games

Beowvlf

Banned
chespace said:

The PS3 event tonight/tomorrow will announce official release dates so we'll see then I guess.
Interesting. I think we may need an official 'Jumping the gun' thread if something like this turns out to be true.

methodman

Banned
truffleshuffle83 said:
even so, an 11 month head start is a pretty big deal, especially when we start seeing 360 on shelves widely available.

i guess the only thing this really means for me is it give me more time to save for the ps3 while not having to miss out on some big 360 games

Plus, what if Nintendo releases the Rev a week before the PS3 (or better yet, the same day) and it gets DSL type hysteria over in Japan? Do we know if this can happen?

Diablos

I've gotta say, it would probably benefit Sony, should this rumor prove to be true later on, to launch in North America first. The Xbox 360 without a competetor in North America is a far, far more dangerous situation for Sony than it would be in Japan. Sony can recover from not having their console in Japan past November/December, but for North America, they cannot miss the holiday season, the damage done to them for missing it could be huge.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
chespace said:

Potential for wasted time typing out responses based on 2007 U.S. release: confirmed

Prine

Banned
sonycowboy said:
FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK

BTW, I'm picking up a premium 360 today with GRAW & PGR3. I needs some consolation.

FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK

Welcome to the team :p

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
I can't help but wonder what could have been if Nintendo launched in spring with a system as powerful as the xbox 360.

White Man

I wish SolidSnakeX were unbanned so I could see him spin this. Of course, if I did see that, I'd probably wish he were banned again.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
chespace said:

Well if Sony release PS3 in NA before Japan that really would be quite something. Certainly hope so!

xexex

Banned
I will say this though, Sony better overhaul PS3's lackluster specifications:

* Cell with only 7x SPEs @ 3.2 GHz

* 'only' 218 GFLOPs for CELL, not even a 2x leap above the 115 GFLOPs of Xenon CPU

* 128-bit bus between RSX and GDRR3 memory for 22.4 GB/sec bandwidth

* RSX based on G70 / NV47, who's underlying architecture, NV4X was released in NV40/GeForce 6800, in spring 2004, that's 2.5 years after a November 2006 PS3 launch.
RSX had better be based on G80 / NV50 or its going to be pretty sorry since Xenos can go well beyond shader 3.0

if Sony releases PS3 with the specs announced in 2005, it had better not release for a penny more than $299.

Draft

chespace said:

Oct. 2006 in Japan or the US?

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
In the end, I want great games (@ launch), so take as long as you need to Ken and Co.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
chespace said:

Uh, I like the Xbox a lot - but I am not particularly happy about this announcement. The only joy it gives me is the fanboy reactions and damage control.

Diablos said:
I've gotta say, it would probably benefit Sony, should this rumor prove to be true later on, to launch in North America first. The Xbox 360 without a competetor in North America is a far, far more dangerous situation for Sony than it would be in Japan. Sony can recover from not having their console in Japan past November/December, but for North America, they cannot miss the holiday season, the damage done to them for missing it could be huge.

EdX2WT4zfrPiOI_RoY3JWEMfpGJXu5MG.jpg

??

Elios83

If this is true and both the western launches are delayed till 2007 I'm really and totally disappointed with Sony also because the console would need a specs upgrade.
BUT this is from the same source which a few days before E3 2005 announced that Sony and Toshiba agreed to unify Blu Ray and HD-DVD.
So wouldn't be better to wait until tomorrow before making extreme comments? :D :)

M3wThr33

Banned
Sony releases $400 PS3 now.
In November, they introduce the Blu-Ray hardware key and start bundling it with consoles for only $50 more, soon it'll be like they never sold it without it.

Dr_Cogent said:
Uh, I like the Xbox a lot - but I am not particularly happy about this announcement. The only joy it gives me is the fanboy reactions and damage control.

Right! We all know who is giggling like a little school girl behind that computer screen...

Dr_Cogent

Banned
White Man said:
I wish SolidSnakeX were unbanned so I could see him spin this. Of course, if I did see that, I'd probably wish he were banned again.

Why was he banned?

Doom_Bringer said:
Right! We all know who is giggling like a little school girl behind that computer screen...

Heheheheh, seriously though. I've been looking forward to the PS3 being released. But when I read - "this can't or won't hurt Sony" - I just have to laugh.

Oh yeah, BTW - I own stock in Sony. I aint all that happy especially from an investor standpoint. Ever since their stock split years ago its been falling it seems.

Bebpo

Banned
So anyone want to do any predictions?

If Sony can get 10 million units out in Japan from November -> Dec 2007 and 10 million in the US from March -> Dec 2007, that gives them about 20 million (and then some extra for Euro if they make it in 2007) by the end of the year.

X360 will keep getting stronger in the US and maybe do 15million+ by Dec 2007, but then they'll never even hit 1 million in the US and Euro is I dunno.

Revolution is bomba in the US moving about 6 million from fall 2006->Dec 2007, but it does really well in Japan with about 10 million in the same timeframe. Dunno about Euro.

So my prediction is that by the end of 2007 it will be very close, but PS3 dominence in Japan and X360s failure in the region will keep them as #1 global. I think X360 does have the chance to take the US market and Rev will match X360 in global because Japan will buy it in dozens, which will support the weak US sales.

Animal

Banned
M3wThr33 said:
Sony releases $400 PS3 now.
In November, they introduce the Blu-Ray hardware key and start bundling it with consoles for only $50 more, soon it'll be like they never sold it without it.

As most of you know, a removable disc drive isnt rocket science.

teiresias said:
Still, they are citing Blu-Ray copy protection specifically - which judging from other forums means the AACS stuff which will affect HD-DVD too. However, I really don't see why this all can't be remedied with firmware upgrades over the internet. I mean, why couldn't they launch console without the Blu-Ray player functionality - when there's no content anyway - and later push a firmware upgrade over the online system that sets up everything. You turn on your PS3, get a "Please wait, updating firmware . . ." notice, then a "Congratulations, this PS3 can now play full-featured Blu-Ray discs."

What about people who don't have it hooked up to the Internet? They payed the same price as those that did, and yet they don't get the update. You see the sticky path that leads Sony down? And while a lot of Xbox owners are use to Live and have played their consoles online, many many Playstation owners will see that as a new thing.

On the subject of next-gen DVDs. A lot of people criticized Microsoft for launching the 360 without HD-DVD, but Microsoft could have easily found themselves in the same situation as Sony. Namely, that HD-DVD isn't ready to go, may still have some issues to contend with, and could have resulted in a a delay. Even at this moment, it would have caused them to miss the Christmas season, and who knows how much longer. While it would have been nice to have HD-DVD on the 360, it probably wasn't worth the delay in Microsoft's eyes.

Sony is obviously committed to BluRay, but it's cost them the "Spring Launch", although I suspect there are other issues at play here besides BluRay.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
xexex said:
I will say this though, Sony better overhaul PS3's lackluster specifications:

* Cell with only 7x SPEs @ 3.2 GHz

* 'only' 218 GFLOPs for CELL, not even a 2x leap above the 115 GFLOPs of Xenon CPU

* 128-bit bus between RSX and GDRR3 memory for 22.4 GB/sec bandwidth

* RSX based on G70 / NV47, who's underlying architecture, NV4X was released in NV40/GeForce 6800, in spring 2004, that's 2.5 years after a November 2006 PS3 launch.
RSX had better be based on G80 / NV50 or its going to be pretty sorry since Xenos can go well beyond shader 3.0

Oh Xexex...please. :lol Painting PS3 as inadequate, technically, is challenging to say the least.

its too close to say. if casuals sway to 360 it could be huge. i mean if they dont get it out by the next holiday season and people see 360's on shelves with a great linup of titles it could make a huge difference (especially if the ps3's launch titles arent that impressive). either well it bodes well for us gamers because it will be so cutthroat for our dolalrs if sony doesnt have a massive lead they do this gen

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™
Did Sony ever say something about releasing in the US first ?

Oct/Nov 2006 in the US & Nov/Dec 2006 in Japan sound pretty good.

Eric_S

The only good thing that could come out of this is,

a) More games at release

b) More polised games at release

c) A spec upgrade, if so, most likely due to what ought to be more RAM due to what should be falling prices on it and higher clocking parts due better yeilds on more mature tech. Or the same specs but with a HD standard, financed by the previously mentioned.

Or Sony could use this to get a smaller revenue hit on hardware at launch and simply pocket the extra money. Arguing that the current advantage over the other consoles is "good enough" and it's not worth having to update specs/devkits to the developers.

*cry*

truffleshuffle83 said:
its too close to say. if casuals sway to 360 it could be huge. i mean if they dont get it out by the next holiday season and people see 360's on shelves with a great linup of titles it could make a huge difference (especially if the ps3's launch titles arent that impressive). either well it bodes well for us gamers because it will be so cutthroat for our dolalrs if sony doesnt have a massive lead they do this gen

qft-LOGO-bg.jpg

50/50 market is bliss.

Milhouse31 said:
Did Sony ever say something about releasing in the US first ?

Oct/Nov 2006 in the US & Nov/Dec 2006 in Japan sound pretty good.

Sounds great in theory, but how many units available?

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
You know, thinking about it, I just don't see Sony giving MS another christmas. It's just absurd.

Until Sony says otherwise, I still believe PS3 will be out for 2006 Xmas in NA.

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
Just to warn everyone, just because it's big news day doesn't mean our normal expected behaviour from the userbase goes out the window, and anyone not being nice and cuddly with the other posters around here is going to take a LOOOONG walk away from GAF, and that means retroactively too as I catch up with the thread.

You've been warned.

AdmiralViscen said:
qft-LOGO-bg.jpg

50/50 market is bliss.

exactly. with the ps2 there was no reason to go outon a limb because they already had everyones dollars (see online and HDD support), theyll have to change their way of thinking if its closer. also competition drives down prices :)

Top Bottom