• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prince of Persia 2 - New Screens

Yeah, that much is kind of uncertain. That's a good theory about the "genre shift" though. This sequel is coming out really quickly, and just the nature of combat is sort of free form. It's almost like a sandbox in that you just throw entities that act on their own into an environment. Viewtiful Joe actually felt like that at times.

Dark, you also make a good point about this being post-Ninja Gaiden. That make this title nearly as appealing to be honest. This is practically Ninja Gaiden sans any actual Ninjas at this point really.

ATTENTION UBI SOFT:

YOU DO NOT WIN NINE OF THESE (including Game of the Year) AND THEN DECIDE TO SHIFT YOUR FUCKING GENRE!

popwinners.jpg

jett

D-Member
There is platformming in PoP2. Jeez people, relax. I've seen a gameplay movie of the game and it still plays very similiar to the first one.

Where did you see this supposed gameplay footage with platforming?

We know there is platforming, but then again, we know there is far less of it this time.

blamehim.jpg

He is to blame.

And quite frankly, I'd really like to punch him in the face for this rediculous art direction.
The prince has no reason to turn into a badass.

I'd fire his ass.... then take his job .

jett said:
There is platformming in PoP2. Jeez people, relax. I've seen a gameplay movie of the game and it still plays very similiar to the first one.

It doesn't matter how well it plays if they completly fuck over the story by filling it with angst and shit.

jett

D-Member
JasoNsider said:
Where did you see this supposed gameplay footage with platforming?

We know there is platforming, but then again, we know there is far less of it this time.

I don't remember the site. It showed the prince using the dagger to slow down time so he could jump through a spinning clockwork-like thing. Then he does some more jumping to a pole and slides down from it and advances into the next room. OMG NO WAY IT HAS TEH PLATFORMMING!!!12

The game also seems to be much faster and quicker paced the first one. That's a plus since the Prince moves so fucking slow.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
StrikerObi said:
It doesn't matter how well it plays if they completly fuck over the story by filling it with angst and shit.

Do you have any idea how bad that sound? :p

"It doesn't matter if the game is good or not if the story sucks!"

DSN2K

not keen at all on the new art style, besides for sales did the game need such a drastic change visually.

DCX

DCX
The Bookerman said:
blamehim.jpg

He is to blame.

And quite frankly, I'd really like to punch him in the face for this rediculous art direction.
The prince has no reason to turn into a badass.

I'd fire his ass.... then take his job .
He only made him in his own likeness :) Down hate the playa, hate the game.

DCX

belgurdo

Banned
Wow, so much whining in just one topic...

Just keep playing the first game and don't buy the sequel if the art bothers you that damn much, geez...

Agent Dormer

Dirty Drinking Smoker
StrikerObi said:

So it'd be like reading your, or anyone else's, LiveJournal? ;)

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I loved the first...it looked wonderful as well. But G4 had some film of this the other day and it was amazing. The darkness and lighting were enthralling. It had some fighting scenes and my overall impression wasn't "gosh, they've matured this up like Jak" it was more...atmospheric like old adventure films. Think archaic or gothic rather than GTA. It really worked in those brief moments I saw, I'm there on day 1.

dark10x said:
Do you have any idea how bad that sound? :p

"It doesn't matter if the game is good or not if the story sucks!"

Prince of Persia: SoT had good gameplay. It was solid and fun. What made it the best game of the year was the story. It was wonderful. Now they are taking the gameplay and improving it. Hurray, I'm all for that. The combat was weak, now it'll be better.

But at the same time they are taking the wonderful, magical, unique story of the first game and flushing it down the toilet. They're replacing it with this really dark, moody, angst-ridden art direction, and they keep saying the story will be "darker and more mature" (specific words spoken by the PoP2 barker at E3). So basically they're taking the important part of PoP:SoT and shitting all over it.

BuddyC

The Bookerman said:
Awwww...I have that shirt. :(

by the way..

Gone is the soft bloom effect that defined Prince of Persia, replaced by a shaper, darker and more realistic art style.

Since his last adventure, the Prince has matured into a "master warrior", one who can now throw enemies or capture them for use as shields. His fighting style has become much more acrobatic and can now attack while performing other actions, such as wall running. Environmental interaction has also been integrated into combat, demonstrated when the Prince swings around a pole, decapitating two nearby enemies in the process. As enemies take damage, they gradually turn a shade of brown. At this point, the Prince can execute his new finishing moves through a series of complex button presses. Once an enemy returns to sand, quite impressive as the enemy literally turns back to sand, the Prince can pick up their weapon. We saw the Prince wielding dual swords, unlocking a new set of combat moves. Since weaponry is replaceable, it has also been made consumable. In other words, weapons can break. The focus of these changes was to break up the monotony of combat that plagued the first title, and it certainly appears they have succeeded.

Speaking of puzzle solving, adventure elements also have also undergone a stylish evolution. Much like Tarzan, the Prince now uses only one hand to swing on a rope. We witnessed the Prince running across a wall to a drape, sliding down the drape, jumping onto a switch, and then swinging onto the ground executed in one fluid motion.

Of course, the Sands of Time return, and are now more useful in puzzle solving. One example placed a spinning water wheel between the Prince and his destination. By using the Sands of Time, he was able to slow time and run between the gaps in the wheel. While new powers are promised, only one was revealed to us during the course of our demonstration: rewinding time on a much grander scale.

Top Bottom