• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prince of Persia Warrior Within Review

olimario

Banned
ubisoftolo.jpg

Nice score.
I'll rent it.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Good score, but after reading the text, I can't help but flinch at some of the changes. More fighting, less platforming? American accent? Rock music? *flinch*

Mejilan said:
More fighting, less platforming?

That's why I am not going to buy this game at launch, maybe later on. POP SoT was one of the greatest games of last year because of its platforming elements (it scored second place on my GOTY-List, second only to KOTOR), not its fighting. It may be stylish as much as you want, the platforming part was the most important one. And now they made an action game out of it. Why not a stleath game? Or a tactic shooter? Tom Clancy's Prince of Persia 3?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
johnjohnson said:
That's why I am not going to buy this game at launch, maybe later on. POP SoT was one of the greatest games of last year because of its platforming elements (it scored second place on my GOTY-List, second only to KOTOR), not its fighting. It may be stylish as much as you want, the platforming part was the most important one. And now they made an action game out of it. Why not a stleath game? Or a tactic shooter? Tom Clancy's Prince of Persia 3?

Shh dont give them any ideas

shpankey

not an idiot
hmm... i loved the first one but really REALLy hated the demo. i hate the action part of the game, loved the adventure... now they went and made the game Prince Gaiden. bleh

p.s. the original poster is the same dude that always comes around posting specifically about this game only. i'm surprised he is allowed to continue posting since it's obvious he's an employee

shpankey said:
i'm surprised he is allowed to continue posting since it's obvious he's an employee

Why should they ban him? There's nothing on the ToS that prohibits employees of gaming companies to come here to talk about their products.

Mrbob

One thing I've been trying to find out is if the action flows better than the demo. Sure, there are more attacks at your disposal, but they all feel clunky while in use.

BTW I don't think ZA Pages is an employee of UBI. Just a fan of PoP (Poor guy).

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
johnjohnson said:
Why should they ban him? There's nothing on the ToS that prohibits employees of gaming companies to come here to talk about their products.

F. Spam

Outside advertisements or solicitations promoted by posting messages, private messaging, or e-mailing users via Gaming Age Forums is unacceptable and will be subject to banning

Though not sure if that is actually considered as spam...maybe but I don't know

Tellaerin

Mejilan said:
Good score, but after reading the text, I can't help but flinch at some of the changes. More fighting, less platforming? American accent? Rock music? *flinch*

I agree. Fighting, American accents, and rock music have no place in videogames.

Matlock

Banned
He runs a POP fansite on Gamespy, not exactly the thing an employee would do. And he's said before he's not an employee.

Mejilan

Tellaerin said:
I agree. Fighting, American accents, and rock music have no place in videogames.

I am immune to your sarcasm!

And they certainly have no place (or at least lessened place) in a Prince of Persia game.

Not a particularly well written review.

"The Prince Of Persia range isn't going to drop into the packed out action/adventure genre and remains faithful to its platform roots, this just adds a fresh edge that should excite old and new fans alike."

Someone care to translate? :)

IJoel

Hey, if I was working on a game, I'd be pimping it out as well. I really see nothing wrong with that. This IS a gaming forum after all. In any case, he's just posting a link for the review.

I will definitely be getting the sequel, though the demo almost persuaded me to not do so. The controls felt somewhat loose, and not tight unlike the previous game and it lacked that mystical/enchanting atmosphere that was ever present before.

demi

If I was working on a game, I'd clearly stop and work on a much better game that deserves a sequel.

freedom fighters beyond good and evil

i hate you guys i hope you die the end

MarkRyan

Sam Houser fucked my wife
According to those who've played it in the office, the Prince now has catch-phrases that he utters during combat, including, "Taste my blade, bitch."

shpankey

not an idiot
tell them to unsuck the game and get back to the look and feel of Sands of Time. especially to work on the control and take out the gay one-liners by the Prince.

If you guys didn't realize, but POP WW's storyline is spiced up version of POP 2's storyline.

In POP 2 you had the Prince crashing on an island. Some witch character in the end like the Empress of Time. You fought in the ruins of your parent's palace, but in POP WW you're just in some ruins of Castle of Time. Then in POP 2 there was cathedral castle like in POP WW, when you go into the past. The shadow/Mirror Prince who is more of nuisance than actually doing any harm to the prince, like in WW where Sand Wraith has this job. Going to the alternative dimension is like going to the past and such in WW.

I don't have much say in the game, I did suggest a better combat system(like majority of people who did say that), something similiar shadow/mirror prince, better storyline (a darker one, but not something like this), the original games connecting these ones as these are prequel to them, better and larger puzzles, and couple more things

Ranger X

LOL you work for a game company = you're biased

Wyzdom = not surprised by how bad the judgement of some people is.

Between, i don't even know if i'm gonna buy POP2. The fighting and story is improved alot and in the level i've played, the platforming was back. I didn't really noticed there was less platforming or maybe it's that the battle really are more interesting now and when you're not bored, you're not complaining about something lacking you know.
One thing i really like is also the fact that the story explains the change of look and makes it fitting the game. Before i witnessed the story, i would have prefered it to be like POP1.
Rent before if you want but i swear most people will agree me or be surprised. POP2 really have chances to be a better game than POP1.

montanha

Mrbob said:
Don't throw away your money!!!

Be patient. In a month or two the game will be 20 bucks.

not quite man. all the soaring review scores and press will keep it at $40-$50 until Summer almost..

Mrbob

montanha said:
not quite man. all the soaring review scores and press will keep it at $40-$50 until Summer almost..

:lol

I'm trying to figure out if this is sarcasm or not. :lol

The previous game got (underservedly I may add) multiple GOTY awards in 2003 and still tanked until they packed in Splinter Cell with it. It also didn't really have any major competition at all last xmas. PoP2 has bomb bomb written all over it. In fact it may be on the box cover art!

montanha

Mrbob said:
:lol

I'm trying to figure out if this is sarcasm or not. :lol

The previous game got (underservedly I may add) multiple GOTY awards in 2003 and still tanked until they packed in Splinter Cell with it. It also didn't really have any major competition at all last xmas. PoP2 has bomb bomb written all over it. In fact it may be on the box cover art!

yeah but this year they have an installed base and much more notoriety of the franchise. I think it is a good thing, the tone of the box art. It does not even come close to eluding to the depth of the game and story. It will be the mainstream sleeper hit this year. Just wait until the first few posts come up in a couple weeks. We will see. we will see...

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
It's amazing to me that, despite all the positive press about PoP2, people are STILL skeptical about it.

IJoel

GaimeGuy said:
It's amazing to me that, despite all the positive press about PoP2, people are STILL skeptical about it.

Not amazing at all. Most of the people that got PoP: SoT really liked it for what it was, so they are quite apprehensive because the game seems to be a significant departure from the previous one. Nothing strange about that.

Mejilan

IJoel said:
Not amazing at all. Most of the people that got PoP: SoT really liked it for what it was, so they are quite apprehensive because the game seems to be a significant departure from the previous one. Nothing strange about that.

Amen.

I own every game in the PoP series (though not every version of every game) and I already have this one preordered. I don't expect it to be significantly worse than the first, and in fact, I think it may even have fixed some of my gripes about SoT, but I'm NOT pleased by the change in audio/visual style, story telling, or the apparent shift in focus towards more combat, less platforming and puzzles.

montanha

Damn people. just play the game and see. The marketing of PoP:WW is signifigantly different. The game, just signifigantly improved.

Some here have already realized that the Marketing is just painting the game differently to attract a more mainstream audience (ya know, the angsty rock and decapitations=teeny boppers tellin mommy they want it for Xmas).

But the game is actually the sequel PoP:TSoT fans dream of, save more maybe a few overused metal guitar tracks..

Mejilan

montanha said:
Damn people. just play the game and see. The marketing of PoP:WW is signifigantly different. The game, just signifigantly improved.

Some here have already realized that the Marketing is just painting the game differently to attract a more mainstream audience (ya know, the angsty rock and decapitations=teeny boppers tellin mommy they want it for Xmas).

But the game is actually the sequel PoP:TSoT fans dream of, save more maybe a few overused metal guitar tracks..

Thank you for making it clear what I dream of at night, and what I want in a PoP sequel.

shpankey

not an idiot
montanha said:

well, i would believe you if it weren't for the crappy demo that tells me not to

montanha

Yeah, my last statements were bold with not much back-up, and the demo was rushed out hastily. But having played a big chunk of the game, it is apparent that the finished piece needs to be experienced, to judge more accurately. I base that on the story, pacing, the way the gameplay intertwines with the story and adds more severity to the combat and puzzles. Whatever, just wait..

Top Bottom