• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pro Evolution Soccer 2011 |OT| Now with less proclamations of Kings returning

rvy

Banned
2hxm25c.png

vfh2tx.png

Official Website | PES League | ONLINE PORTAL SITE

10sdthe.png

Developer: Konami Computer Entertainment
Publisher: Konami Computer Entertainment
Platform: PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Nintendo Wii, PC DVD, PlayStation 2, Playstation Portable, Nintendo DS and Mobile
Rating: 3+
Genre: Sports
Players: 1-2

gafpescover1hem1.png

gafpescover2wcp1.png

►Total Control: The PES Production team has enhanced the 360-degree passing ratio, offering unprecedented levels of control over every pass, shot, headed ball, throw-in, and through ball. This allows users to pass the ball into space, and move their play with total freedom. Players must precisely weight their passes and second-guess the runs of their teammates and exploit their movement, while lofted through-balls have an all-new level of accuracy.

►Shot Stamina Gauge: In addition to the generic power gauge, the Shot Stamina meter details the player’s exact level of fitness. Constantly sprinting will affect the player’s movements and will have an adverse affect on his stats, with passes going awry and a loss of pace.

►New Defender AI: Players now also hold their positions naturally, no longer chasing any ball that enters their area; preferring to close down the attacker and force them into a mistake.

►Animation and Player Physics: The PES Production team has totally reworked every element of in-game animation. These additions will become clear before even kick-off, with the players enjoying fluid, natural movements, with more realistic acceleration and inertia than ever before. The physicality between players is also improved, which was a priority requested in PES forums. Jostling and blocking now looks stunning, while there is a larger variety of convincing tackling styles. Ambient animation also adds to the in-game atmosphere, as players adapt their running and movement styles in line with play.

►Speed of Play: The new level of control means that PRO EVOLUTION SOCCER 2011 enjoys a more considered pace of play, which varies dependent on situations. The game will burst into life as counter-attacks come into play, but players can dictate the pace via slow build up or exploiting available space to surge forward. It is harder to make long runs from midfield, and successful play will depend on making quick passes to make room.

►Improved Goalkeepers: In keeping with the basis of total freedom of movement, players now have more control over their keeper. This greater control allows for quick roll-outs, instinctive saves, pinpoint accuracy with goal kicks, and precision ball distribution to make quicker breaks or playing down the clock easier.

►Aesthetics: PRO EVOLUTION SOCCER 2010 showcased the best likenesses in a football game, and PRO EVOLUTION SOCCER 2011 ups the ante further. Facial animation has been enhanced, but the key advances are over 1000 all-new animations which have been recreated from the ground up using over 100 hours of motion captured footage. Every aspect of player movement has been reworked, with more organic runs, turns, throw-ins, tackles, and interaction. The way players speed up and slow down is also more natural; while replays display elements of motion blur that bring your saved goals to vivid life.

►Tactics and Strategy: The sheer number of options available in the PRO EVOLUTION SOCCER series has established it as a remarkably flexible simulation, allowing players to stamp their playing style on each match. The PES Production team has implemented an all new ‘Drag and Drop’ mechanism that can be used in every aspect of team management, not just substitutions or formation changes. These settings are also animated to promote better understanding of the plays that have been altered.
Feint Settings: PRO EVOLUTION SOCCER has always offered a wide range of subtle skills, feints and turns, but PRO EVOLUTION SOCCER 2011 allows users to map key skills to a specific control area, making them available via the second stick or via specific button presses, making them more accessible than ever before.
Master League Online: Master League will offer an all-new challenge, as users are invited to try their hand against other managers online. PRO EVOLUTION SOCCER 2011 will mark the online debut for its much-loved Master League element, with players bidding against each other for the world’s best players, and attempting to build a squad that can compete with the best against online peers all over the globe.

ff1fs9.png

2a9rxqa.png

f1ejj5.png

w71mo7.gif
nnjfqb.gif

28813_396760534326_280573964326_4381222_3592180_n.jpg
34676_409275029326_280573964326_4706804_4519527_n.jpg

34676_409275069326_280573964326_4706812_8130144_n.jpg
28813_396760529326_280573964326_4381221_4549064_n.jpg

40296_421440419326_280573964326_5015317_2029922_n.jpg
39960_416131629326_280573964326_4885701_4863390_n.jpg

25s6ij4.png

360 Demo
PC Demo
UP on PSN, everywhere

2efhytt.png

Eurogamer.NET - 7/10
Whether you've been playing Pro Evolution Soccer since the PSone - chipping your PS2 to play Japanese copies of Winning Eleven between annual instalments - or whether you've been playing FIFA since it was isometric and never set eyes on the competition, this latest instalment of PES is going to take a little getting used to.

Yes! It's finally happened. Konami has succumbed to all the bullying and ripped PES up to start again. The result - somehow manhandled to completion before its traditional October deadline - shares some of the same philosophical DNA as its predecessors, which is to say it's still very hard to create chances and convert them into goals, but it feels different both to past PES games and FIFA's alternative.

(...)

Nevertheless, while FIFA 11 may be the better, more polished and controllable simulation of football, in many respects PES 2011 is the more charismatic of the two games. If you're only interested in the finished article then you might want to wait another year for further progress, but in the meantime PES fans can hold their heads high, and fans of the beautiful game are on the road to being spoiled for choice again in light of this encouraging instalment.

PSM3 - 89%
The write-up - from editor and resident football game expert Dan Dawkins - says that the game is 'intimidating but rewarding and skilful'.

It compares well to PSM3's FIFA 11 review, which gives EA's behemoth 91 per cent.

However, Dawkins reckons that PES is just 'a year too early' to challenge FIFA - and is on the road to recovery after a disappointing couple of years.

It's also pretty darn hard.

'This is not PES 6 or, indeed, PES as we know it,' writes Dawkins. 'The crippling, but tantalising, realisation is that almost all your years of accrued expertise are junk.'

He adds: 'For all the effort - on Konami's part and yours - PES 2011 doesn't displace FIFA 11 as PS3's best football game, but it does emerge renewed, smarter and ready to move onto better things.'

IGN UK - 9.0
After the promising strides made by last year's reboot, PES 2011 feels very much a realisation of that potential. With its emphasis on fun still apparent, the added realism provided by control, animation and AI enhancements improve and broaden the package's appeal no end. Factor in the added tactical flexibility and the addition of the online Master League, and it's easy to see why PES' return to form will be widely celebrated. Some may prefer FIFA's more studied approach to football realism, but when it comes to pick-up-and-play fun and intensity, PES 2011 gets my vote this year.

CVG
Still in second place - but the best PES in a long time. Fans will feel like an old friend has finally returned.

Uppers:
►More player control
►Infinite number of shots
►Master League (again)
►Online Master League
►Some great graphical examples

Downers:
►Little to no atmosphere
►Appalling commentary
►We still love licenses
►Patchy AI
►A little too light on its feet

Videogamer.com - 7/10
Let's get something straight: PES 2011 is a good game. It's the best version of PES I've played on the Xbox 360 and PS3, and it's a step in the right direction - but it isn't a FIFA beater. EA Sports started FIFA's transformation many years ago and now the fruits of that investment are paying off every year, whereas PES 2011 feels like it's just the start of a new beginning for the franchise. Fans will find a lot of positives, but fence-sitters will still want to go with EA's game.

nakamura05gt.gif

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
So...so how is it? Demo was good but bad if that makes sense

Also iphone version! Cant wait for that :D

KZObsessed

I enjoyed the Beta more than the demo, but I played the demo vs my brother and we had a hilarious time, I won 3-2 and there were so many great and dramatic moments. Felt like the good old days.

So I'll be buying this year for the first time since PES 2008 (urgh)

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Just found out that the game has a fully licensed São Paulo FC, so day mother fuckin' one.

Too bad we won't qualify for next year's Libertadores, so I won't be buying PES 2012 :(

:lol

Edit: Hell yeah! Brazilian commentators too!

rvy

Banned
Mr Cola said:
So...so how is it? Demo was good but bad if that makes sense

Also iphone version! Cant wait for that :D
I love it, but that's me. The game feels and looks awesome. It's very distinct from the demo btw.

CaptYamato, I'll add them to the OP as soon as I have time.

"The PES Production team has enhanced the 360-degree passing ratio"

Does this make sense? Also, I see they don't use that revolutionary 'teamvision' any more (still the same grass texture though).

spwolf

Bungieware said:
"The PES Production team has enhanced the 360-degree passing ratio"

Does this make sense? Also, I see they don't use that revolutionary 'teamvision' any more (still the same grass texture though).

it is true 360 now...

dangrib

Been playing the retail version. Its fantastic. I might skip FIFA 11 this year.

The new passing system is the business. When i score in PES2011 i feel like i've achived something. FIFA doesnt really give me that.

norinrad

Its a sad day when a Football game from EA has surpassed what once used to be the only must have football game on any console. I wish konami would go back to the old International Super Star soccer concept.

Anyway i will pick this up when the price drops

The gameplay in PES 2011 is much, much better than in FIFA 11. The latter feels like its returning to its mechanical roots, and PES plays like it did from 2003-2006.

I was playing the demos and I had to laugh at the in-game menu for the controls, I felt like I was reading a SSF4 strategy guide, could they have made the menus any worse?

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
UI sucks in this year's game. PES2010 got something right, and that was the brilliant menu system (especially in Master League mode). This year it's just a looooong horisontal row of icons for ever selection you can make. That said, the formation menu is good, and made simpler for the most part, plus it's much easier to move your players around on the formation board.

Other than that, the game's improved since the demo. I know there were rumours of the demo being the final build, but obviously this is not the case. Biggest difference is the difficulty, the keepers and most importantly, the shooting has improved a lot. Shooting is much more powerful now - it's just as difficult to get right, but at least it doesn't move like it's in slow motion towards the goal.

Blablurn

very good job on the OT. i like it man. after playing it at gamescom i was kinda dissappounted. but i love the Demo. i hope i'll find the pc version as soon as possible.

PES!!!!

Norwegian Wood said:
Its a sad day when a Football game from EA has surpassed what once used to be the only must have football game on any console. I wish konami would go back to the old International Super Star soccer concept.

Anyway i will pick this up when the price drops

It's 31$ shipped for the pre-order.(for PC)

Also, too much Messi in the OP. :(

dangrib

you need 20 games under your belt to truly understand the new passing system. both games have their ups and downs. FIFA is just horribly frustrating at times. yes FIFA more polished but at least konami are moving in the right direction this year.

i scored an absolute belter with pirlo last night in PES. felt perfect

feel

Nice to have an |OT|. Very hyped for it to come out in the US, the demo is "like the good old ps2 days" kind of great. :D

CalamityDaunt said:
It's quite poor.

Basically FIFA does everything better bar the shooting imo
KINLo.gif

CalamityDaunt said:
It's quite poor.

Basically FIFA does everything better bar the shooting imo

I found FIFA really weak this year. I'm tired of scoring goals the *exact* same way in every game. I loved FIFA 10, but I'm really feeling PES 2011 this year.

Sadly, it seems like a TBA - November is the best info we have for a NA release date.

Lovely OP :)

Should have this in just 3 days! Really looking forward to it :D

Unlike everybody else, I have genuinely enjoyed and loved every one of the PES games, without feeling the need to compare it to past iterations or that other series. Between playing the online ML beta and the demo, this really does feel like a step up for the series and I can't wait to get my hands on the full game.

otmane

I tried both demos on PS3. Eventhough FIFA seems to be the better game, I still have a lot more fun with PES in local multiplayer...
The lack of licences for the english premier league is a big bummer though! I miss the ps2 times when I could patch my PES to have all the jerseys, change the backgrounds, music...

dangrib

otmane said:
I tried both demos on PS3. Eventhough FIFA seems to be the better game, I still have a lot more fun with PES in local multiplayer...
The lack of licences for the english premier league is a big bummer though! I miss the ps2 times when I could patch my PES to have all the jerseys, change the backgrounds, music...

Import the UK version for ps3 and use the forthcoming option file from winningelevenblog.com. That'll sort the licensing out :)

I'm really excited for some copa libertadores action.
Love how konami are making the most out of available licenses.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
otmane said:

Hear me hear me, it's even better nowadays, since you have the same without a modded console now :)

I still remember the days of Winning Eleven 4's Serie A and Serie B patch and jaw-dropping at the sight of my hometown team's licensed kit (and playing Inter!) on the ole gray PSX :lol

BTW, I'm in!!

Prine

Banned
I was going to buy this, but put it on hold considering how packed october is for releases. Enslaved, Vanquish and Fable 3 are must buys for me.

I really want to get this, but the demo did little to impress. However, im still interested, as there is no better competitive game than PES (imo) when your mates are round.

N.A

Banned
So I've been playing this and FIFA for a few days now.

Initially I still preferred FIFA but as I've gotten deeper into PES I think I'm changing my mind. I pretty much prefer all of PES's systems now. The passing feels a lot tighter, the dribbling offers a lot more freedom and you can actually get past players without using the trick stick (one of the worst aspects of FIFA). And the shooting has always been better than FIFA.

It's not perfect. The player switching seems broken at times. Quite a few times I've been unable to select the player closest to the ball. Also the AI occasionally seems like like it isn't aware of where the ball is, this happens quite often is you play long passes or lofted through balls.

It's a major improvement on recent years though. And if next year they can focus on polishing it has a real chance of overtaking FIFA.

Now to just wait for a decent option file so I can start the Master League. :-\

elfinke

N.A said:
So I've been playing this and FIFA for a few days now.

Initially I still preferred FIFA but as I've gotten deeper into PES I think I'm changing my mind. I pretty much prefer all of PES's systems now. The passing feels a lot tighter, the dribbling offers a lot more freedom and you can actually get past players without using the trick stick (one of the worst aspects of FIFA). And the shooting has always been better than FIFA.

It's not perfect. The player switching seems broken at times. Quite a few times I've been unable to select the player closest to the ball. Also the AI occasionally seems like like it isn't aware of where the ball is, this happens quite often is you play long passes or lofted through balls.

It's a major improvement on recent years though. And if next year they can focus on polishing it has a real chance of overtaking FIFA.

Now to just wait for a decent option file so I can start the Master League. :-\

You hit the nail on the head. The PES retail version isn't here yet (Australia), but the demo feels exactly like you described in comparison to retail other game, and from what I've read elsewhere, the retail version is improved on the demo.

You guys playing on Wii, PC, 360 or PS3? I have never seen PES on the Wii (since 09), and don't have my PC setup for gaming, so will be grabbing this for PS3, assuming the retail version doesn't grate.

I'm really looking forward to actually owning a footy game this year (for longer than 7 days), after a several year hiatus!

otmane

I had no idea, you could still do that in the ps3 version,and just with a save!
That's awesome... problem solved!
I'll just have to wait for the UK version, why is the release date one week after the rest of Europe... weird!

ty_hot

Why the hell can't I play with all Libertadores teams against the europeans? Only Boca, River (that didn't even played this years Libertadores) and Inter (that won this year)?

rvy

Banned
metareferential said:
Where are the settings for the pc demo?

Don't tell me I can't mess with resolutions, aa and such.
You can change the resolution and simple shit like that in the settings, but that's it. I use the NVIDIA Control Panel for stuff like V-Sync and AA.

mauaus

PES 2011 is awesome this year, too bad my Valencia is not up to par... anyone seen an Option File around for PC?

rvy said:
You can change the resolution and simple shit like that in the settings, but that's it. I use the NVIDIA Control Panel for stuff like V-Sync and AA.

Too bad the demo isn't showing up on nhancer. I'll try the nvidia panel, which I never use.

I was sure that once in the demo you couldn't set anything graphics-wise.

Thank you.

k0ji-wd

Might buy this for PS3 if I can convince a few other friends to get it also. Beta was shit, demo was a decent surprise, only thing holding me back really is the lack of interest amongst any of my friends.

elfinke said:
You hit the nail on the head. The PES retail version isn't here yet (Australia), but the demo feels exactly like you described in comparison to retail other game, and from what I've read elsewhere, the retail version is improved on the demo.

Geez I hate it when people do this, what, you can't bear to type FIFA? You're certainly not a fanboy.

longdi

Banned
The new camera angle and field size looks good on PES11.

Fifa11 still has the tight cage of a field, cramped field and falling over physics makes too much ping ponging.

rvy

Banned
Stadiums have announcers speaking in different languages depending on their locations. Some players have adjustable Adidas Techfit shirts. Just throwing these awesome extras out there. :lol

dimariamnlk.png

dimaria2un3c.png

pato9nih.png

pato2juuu.png

Kafel said:
They really kept the Messi wallpaper for menus ?

*vomits*
You can buy different wallpapers from the PES Shop. Not sure if they all have Messi, but I don't think so.

heringer

I'm so buying this. Just waiting the release of the brazilian version, with brazilian commentators. :D

I wonder if the online will be region free?

Top Bottom