• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pro Evolution Soccer 2011 |OT| Now with less proclamations of Kings returning

rvy

Banned
PES 2011: New DLC revealed

Konami Digital Entertainment GmbH has revealed the content of its latest free DLC for PES 2011.

The update will be available to PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and PC-DVD users from March 15th, and updates a number of elements to the full game. Winter transfers and movements up to the end of the January transfer window have been updated for 135 Club teams, while Spain's new kit and the Swedish national team's away kit have been added. Ten new boot styles from adidas, NIKE, PUMA and Umbro have also been added.

0007407794829568336143.jpg

0003636399245969896358.jpg

0003536638976042631860.jpg

0008695466022689290111.jpg

0007720769925180842.jpg

0003708667827713345470.jpg

0004584769313752971566.jpg

0005402975895663779172.jpg

000678238736495298262.jpg

0003594288797022162729.jpg

0008935063971856956465.jpg

0004498972149755970946.jpg

Eh...

Yagharek

I was wondering if anyone here plays/played the Wii version of PES 2011? I am probably only going to play it with the classic controller (didnt like pointer controls in 08).

I have had it with fifa (again!) this year and the wii version of PES seems to be pretty damn cheap, but is that for a reason? Any impressions are most welcome, especially comparisons to other recent versions (any year/any system) in terms of AI/passing/known issues etc.

Thanks in advance if anyone is familiar with it.

(And if its any help, PES3 (PS2) and 2009 (PS3) are my favourite versions, for Alan Shearer and some great multiplayer sessions respectively.

Also:

does the wii version of 2011 support option file customisation/imports of proper teams etc, and saving of replays?

sneaky77

So I played the demo and while I enjoyed some of the ideas in this it wasn't too smooth any patches since that have helped I may pick it up on the cheap

rvy

Banned
sneaky77 said:
So I played the demo and while I enjoyed some of the ideas in this it wasn't too smooth any patches since that have helped I may pick it up on the cheap
The final game is already much better than the demo, but the patches have made improvements too.

jlevel13

RandomVince said:
I was wondering if anyone here plays/played the Wii version of PES 2011? I am probably only going to play it with the classic controller (didnt like pointer controls in 08).

I have had it with fifa (again!) this year and the wii version of PES seems to be pretty damn cheap, but is that for a reason? Any impressions are most welcome, especially comparisons to other recent versions (any year/any system) in terms of AI/passing/known issues etc.

Thanks in advance if anyone is familiar with it.

(And if its any help, PES3 (PS2) and 2009 (PS3) are my favourite versions, for Alan Shearer and some great multiplayer sessions respectively.

Also:

does the wii version of 2011 support option file customisation/imports of proper teams etc, and saving of replays?

There is an official thread for the wii version that probably has answers to most of your questions...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=410723

You can edit teams and kits in the wii version, but to import an option file, I believe you have to have hacked your wii.

If you don't mind the graphics, the game is great on Wii, except it is a very low seller and more difficult to find online matches (depending on your location). Before I gave up on trying to play online, my average wait to find an opponent was around 8 minutes and matches were laggy to unplayable 80% of the time. Now that the game is six months old, I imagine finding multiplayer games online is even more difficult.

Like the HD version, commentary is by Jon Champion & Jim Beglin.

MEATER

Recently got it on the 360 since it was only 29 EUR on a sale after reading that it was better than the demo.

Last PES I playes was 6 and I only have a very faint memory of it but I did ok in that and now I absolutely can't get the hang of PES 2011. Not. Even. Close!

Even loose against the easy AI!
Neither manual nor automatic player selection seems to work for me. Especially when defending!
Most of my passes just end up going into the wrong direction or being too short!
When attacking my team mates never seem to follow up and try to get into a shooting position in front of the goal so I can give a proper flank.
I just loose the ball as soon as a defender even gets within reach.

Is there something like an absolute beginners guide to the game?

I think there even was one in print for PES 6 but I can't find anything from prima on amazon.

Totally lost. Would appreciate any help I could get from you pros! Mastering Blaz Blue or MvC seems to be a joke compared to this!

jlevel13

MEATER said:
Last PES I playes was 6 and I only have a very faint memory of it but I did ok in that and now I absolutely can't get the hang of PES 2011. Not. Even. Close!

Even loose against the easy AI!
Neither manual nor automatic player selection seems to work for me. Especially when defending!
Most of my passes just end up going into the wrong direction or being too short!
When attacking my team mates never seem to follow up and try to get into a shooting position in front of the goal so I can give a proper flank.

I don't know that it's that different from PES 6. Spend 10 minutes in practice mode and you should get the hang of passing / shooting. If a guy is close to you, just tap A and aim in the direction of the player you want to pass to. The further you want to pass it, the longer you hold A. Y for a through pass. B to cross.

What formation are you using? Use a more attacking formation and your teammates should move into more attacking positions - if you're set up more defensively, they will stay back.

MEATER

Thanks for taking your time to point out some obvious things to a noob :)

jlevel13 said:
Spend 10 minutes in practice mode and you should get the hang of passing / shooting.

Tried practice mode. Seems like one of my problems is, that I push buttons too early or often and in general do not quite get the timing when the player has the ball ready and can pass/shoot. Didn't have that much of a problem in practice mode, since there are no opponents in your way.

I guess this boils down my problems with attack to passing more early.

Still having problems with the defense - especially with the damn cursor never changing to the player I would want to control or switching when I do not want it to switch!

Would you recommend manual cursor control? Seems pretty much unplayable with the auto switch!

jlevel13 said:
What formation are you using? Use a more attacking formation and your teammates should move into more attacking positions - if you're set up more defensively, they will stay back.

I usually do not make any changes before the match. :(

Do I just need to move the positions closer to the goal? Will this not end with strikers going offside all the time?

jlevel13

MEATER said:
Still having problems with the defense - especially with the damn cursor never changing to the player I would want to control or switching when I do not want it to switch!

Would you recommend manual cursor control? Seems pretty much unplayable with the auto switch!

use whatever works best for you. I use assisted, but I'm always also hitting L1/LB to try to switch to the player I want. Also remember, sometime you want to press with a second player, but not always as that can overexpose other areas. also don't over sprint.

MEATER said:

Do I just need to move the positions closer to the goal? Will this not end with strikers going offside all the time?

One could write a book! It depends on your team and your style of play and your opponent. Personally I like 4-3-3 (offensive), which can be set in the simple settings before a match. YMMV. If I get a nice lead, I may switch to a more defensive formation. With a more offensive formation, you're not necessarily going to find your players offside more often, but you may end up more exposed at the back. Also remember you can set some adjustmests to your formation of the fly with the select button (back on 360?) - switching to all out attack on a corner towards the end of a game when you really need a goal will bring up more players, or switching to defensive possession style will pull guys back if you're trying to hold onto a lead, etc.

One more thing, despite all the different formations and adjustments you can make - sometimes your the teammate A.I. just sucks - it's just something you have to learn to deal with. Of course, sometimes in the real game, players do stupid/wrong things too...

MEATER said:
Thanks for taking your time to point out some obvious things to a noob :)

Tried practice mode. Seems like one of my problems is, that I push buttons too early or often and in general do not quite get the timing when the player has the ball ready and can pass/shoot. Didn't have that much of a problem in practice mode, since there are no opponents in your way.

I guess this boils down my problems with attack to passing more early.

I'll add my comments as well.

Offence
Yes, the timing of a shot/pass is very very important in PES. A correctly timed pass will have a good velocity on it. Try not to press R1 when receiving a pass. Try to position your player so that his pass is in an arc about 120 degrees in front of him. If that is not possible, try to take a touch or two to position the player before you hit the pass button.

Defense
Player switching in PES 2011 is not that great. The patch has fixed a few of the issues, but it is still not to my satisfaction. You'll have to do your best to work around it. Again, don't press R1 all the time. Don't press x all the time. Time x to tackle at the right time from the right angle. If you are having trouble, select a player farther away and watch for the pass. Press square button at the same time to get your AI teammate to pressure the player with the ball. He'll either win the ball or make the opponent make a bad pass that you can intercept.

Tactics
Gameplan->Team Style
Here you will see various sliders that control the style of game you play. You can have your players press more/less, play wide/narrow, play a high line in defense, etc. All the options are self explanatory (with small animations to indicate what each slider/change does to your team setup). Set them to what ever you are comfortable with.

You can also use predefined strategies. This is something I love when I am playing Master League. It gives me the feeling that I am playing with My Team. Here, you can set different play styles for your team based on what the score is, what the time in the match is, etc. This might be the best option for you, as it will automatically adjust other setting.

This seems like a decent article that explains these strategies. I'll post others if I find something decent. (But half the fun is figuring these things out and configuring them yourself)
http://pesmastery.com/2010/10/pes-2011-tutorial-management-edit.html

JustAnotherOtaku said:
Yeah, I'm close to 200 hours myself. <3 Pro Evo :)

The passing game is so brilliant.

There are two reasons I would put this behind PES 6 though.

1) The dribbling and running aspect in PES 2011 seems gimped. PES 6 game you a sense on speed/momentum when you ran with players like Robinho, Reyes. You could cut at speed and put on a burst of space. Felt very nice.

2) Defensive AI. The defense was alert, covered passing lanes, made interceptions, etc. In PES 2011, defenders hesitate on through balls/don't immediately react towards free balls. (Your team mates and AI opponents).

rvy

Banned
More and more I'm tempted to buy this for the 360, simply because FIFA becomes complete and utter crap after a few weeks. You start noticing that the game was half-assed and most of the bugs present and launch are still there, but they managed to add a few more.
PES on the PC just doesn't feel right anyway, even with the PES Edit Patch I'm using, which is awesome.

We'll see. Fucking football games developers. Would gladly go back to 2004/2005.

Top Bottom