• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pro Evolution Soccer 2011 |OT| Now with less proclamations of Kings returning

Wow, I soooo wish I hadn't bought this game this year. The AI is crazy shitty and the defense is laughable.

And how the fuck can the game lag when I play against my friend who lives like 10 minutes from here on a bike?! Is Seabass programming this game by himself?

kikanny

Sniper McBlaze said:
Wow, I soooo wish I hadn't bought this game this year. The AI is crazy shitty and the defense is laughable.

And how the fuck can the game lag when I play against my friend who lives like 10 minutes from here on a bike?! Is Seabass programming this game by himself?
:lol :lol :lol

In my first season in the first division, I managed to secure 4th place and get a Champions League place with my ML team :D Also, in a nice touch, Minanda was due to retire so I brought him on for the last 20 minutes of my last game and gave him the captaincy. Focused in on him while the team were applauding the crowd so it looked like a proper send off. It's the little things like that that make me love Pro Evo <3

rvy

Banned
joe-coleoraa.gif

torresoqj4.gif

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
jlevel13 said:
Dash Kappei said:
Lucky you! :)
What rig are you using?
I'm on i5 750, Radeon HD5850 1Gb, 4Gb ram
I think this game could run better on NVidia, but it's probably an ATI driver issue (maybe the 2D/3D clock "bug"?).

The incredible thing as I've said is that it runs better in full hd and max settings, although I get slowdowns (not lag/frame-skips) with no reason when I'm playing on the midfield...
hmm.. I have an i3 and a 5850 (vista32) and it has been really smooth for me - though yeah, I've been running at max settings 1080p etc... maybe it's too obvious, but are you sure your drivers are up to date? That's all I can think of.

Damn.
I have the latest Catalyst, also with the hotfix.
Maybe it's a Win7 64bit related problem.

Dash Kappei

whatsinaname said:
Win 7 64bit here.
E8400, 4870 1GB
1920x1200 - and no stuttering.

I have no stuttering.
I have some instances of 1 or 2 seconds of slow-mo (can't call them slowdowns, they're a bit different if you get what I mean) here and there when playing midfield passes, the game stays smooth as butter but enter slow-mo mode and gets unresponsive (obviously) enough time (1 sec?) that it can fuck up your passes/tackles and is annoying as hell.
I don't know the specific of you cpu, maybe your rig is better than mine (i5 750 + 5850 1GB.)
I dunno, is there any way to force DX11? That might fix it for me (it did for some folks here on the forum for F1 2010's similiar problem, and that is a DX9 game as well)

Dash Kappei said:
I have no stuttering.
I have some instances of 1 or 2 seconds of slow-mo (can't call them slowdowns, they're a bit different if you get what I mean) here and there when playing midfield passes, the game stays smooth as butter but enter slow-mo mode and gets unresponsive (obviously) enough time (1 sec?) that it can fuck up your passes/tackles and is annoying as hell.
I don't know the specific of you cpu, maybe your rig is better than mine (i5 750 + 5850 1GB.)
I dunno, is there any way to force DX11? That might fix it for me (it did for some folks here on the forum for F1 2010's similiar problem, and that is a DX9 game as well)

I think I know the kind of slow-mo you mean. Is it the one where everyone seems to enter bullet time for a couple of seconds? (I used to get it in PES 2008 on my PSP, especially during free kicks and corners.)

My CPU is a Core 2 Duo E8400 (a generation or two older than yours). And my graphics card does not support DX11. It is definitely not a limitation of your system.

Some of the other reasons could be

1) Your HDD is in power saving mode and spins down after some time. You can try disabling this.

Z9yX2.png

2) There is a background process that accesses your HDD during the game. Do you have 2 HDDs in your system? To diagnose for this issue, you could install the game on a physical drive that does not contain the swap file and see if the problem persists.

3) There is a spike in the CPU usage of some other program/service when you are gaming.
Install process manager and play a couple of games. Go back and check CPU usage history.

Dash Kappei

So, I've finally solved my problems of the game not being entirely smooth and, incredibly, degrading in performances the more I went down in gfx settings and rez O_O

I know it'll sound like something like a sorcery, the trick from hell or whatever, but it is TRUE and Pes2009 (never played 2010 on pc, only knew about the problem on 2009 even if I didn't have the game) had the same problem with some ATI cards.

So, if you've got a Radeon HD3/4/5xxx (I'm on 5850) and already on the latest Catalyst, and you still find the framerate to get in slow-mo bullet time in some instances and you can't put your finger on it, do this:

Open Catalyst Control Panel > 3D
You see that little 3D fountain animation going? Good, leave it running and now go play PES... TA-DAH! :D
Yeah, it's unbeliavable but there's an explanation: PES' engine (and some others, iirc FIFA 10) makes so little use of Radeon's GPU that it switches back and forth from 2D and 3D clocks, thus throttling and underclocking in 2D mode; when that happens you get the bullet time or jerky framerate, so leaving open the 3D fountain makes the GPU have more load and stays on the 3D clock.
You can obviously mess with Bios and Catalyst Overdrive to force 3D clock and others things, but this is much easier and it prevents you from screwing up the card if you don't know what you're doing.

IT'S MADNESS! :D
Boy oh boy have the Catalyst drivers a long way to go...
Anyway, I'm posting all of that so that if some other poor soul has the same problem, here on the forum or googling for solutions... here it is. Hopefully it'll be of some help.

edit:
Also, cheers to whatsinaname buddy, even if I already had tried installing on my physical HD and don't have spindowns issues since I always have my desktops in performance mode (ie: drives "never" sleeps), knowing you didn't have problems with a system a tiny bit below mine gave me the final push to find a proper solution. Thanks for all the help! :)

Steroyd

How do you take penalties?

I sit here thinking why the flying fuck did Konami change the penalty system when it was perfect as is, I haven't scored a single penalty yet and it's soooo irritating.

Steroyd said:
How do you take penalties?

I sit here thinking why the flying fuck did Konami change the penalty system when it was perfect as is, I haven't scored a single penalty yet and it's soooo irritating.

Seriously. I've watched and read a few tutorials and I'm still stumped. Lost the Super Cup on penalties with my ML team because all I could do was hit them low and straight :(

feel

Jeez, PES11 is not one of gaf's popular games I see. :lol

Anyways, I realized today a gameplay patch (for the xbox360 at least) came out one of these last few days, have been playing today, and the game seems much better in tons of little aspects. Awesome. If you haven't booted PES lately give it a try.

edit- ok, after playing some more, this is defintely not just small little changes, the game feels, controls and flows much better than before. :D

ibu

I do play it and I have the latest GTM Pro patch, which is great and puts in the Bundesliga and some NPower Championship teams.

The game is much better with the current patch... but still highly flawed. A missed opportunity and I will be honest in saying I can't see me getting burned by another Flawed Evo release. I will just see this game updated and they should spend an extra year working on the game as a whole... there needs to be a year where they concentrate on fixing what is inherently wrong with this series.

Arnie

Blablurn said:
best football game since PES 6.
Agreed.

Loving this game online, haven't even dug into ML yet and I bought it on launch.

This really is a fantastic PES game, and in my opinion is up there with Fifa 09 as the best football game this gen.

Things they can improve with 12:

- Referees
- Penalties
- Player acceleration speed
- Keep improving animation
- Fluidity

YoungHav

Banned
Blablurn said:
best football game since PES 6.
yup!

I have a question, I play this on an SDTV and it runs smooth as hell. Borrowed my brother's HD monitor and I notice there is a slight hitch/slowdown on replays. Is this normal when going from SD to HD? Anything to make it run as smoothly?

Yagharek

I bought Fifa this year (craked the shits with PES10) but decided to play the PES11 demo today for comparison's sake.

What an improvement this is on last year. Just had 4 games as Bayern vs Barca, and the one thing that stands out is how smooth the animation is and how responsive the controls are in general.

So far Ive won 2 and lost 2, all 1-0 margins. First goal was a brilliant 1-2-through ball on the wing, crossed in, headed, saved and finished off by Muller. My second goal was a glancing header from a near-side corner as Olic.

I wont talk about the goals I conceded, but neither were from Messi.
Ok, one was because I brought him down with a rough challenge outside the box, and Ibrahamovic is a good free kick taker

I might buy this as well as Fifa 11 this year. Its such a fun and smooth running game.

rvy said:
How's the patch fellas? I hear they fixed player switching and added more weight to shooting.

These I am sure I've noticed:
Player switching is much improved.
Shooting feels a bit heavier.
The side line jog bug is gone

These I am not sure, but feel like it:
The keepers seem to be making better saves.
The AI defending is improved, as well as the attacking. I drew both my first two group matches in a new CL campaign I just started. I used to breeze through them before the patch.

Also, scored this the other day.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gK6QsTdHKs :D
Ro Ber To Car Los La La La La La La!

YoungHav

Banned
I've always liked the PES/WE soundtracks. Castelvania and other NES music is a nice touch. Remind me of my childhood. The tracks I defintely love on the soundtrack are Wumbanzanga by Konono N'1 and The Reeling by Passion Pit. The former has me practicing my African Crip Walk.

kiun

Anyone here play the Japanese region 2 version (WE 2011) ?
Any Edit file available ? Previously I have always used the region 3 edit file since they are compatible. Unfortunately this year they are not.

YoungHav said:
I've always liked the PES/WE soundtracks. Castelvania and other NES music is a nice touch. Remind me of my childhood. The tracks I defintely love on the soundtrack are Wumbanzanga by Konono N'1 and The Reeling by Passion Pit. The former has me practicing my African Crip Walk.

Haha yeah this years and last years had a nice, varied soundtrack. Nothing I really choose to listen to outside playing the game, but at least it's got variation :p

Which one was it that had the ridiculous OST that was seemingly from in-house bands at Konami or really unknown ones? I think it was PES 2007 or 2008. It had that "I want to fight, fight for the goal" song :lol

Regarding PES2011, just hit the 100 hour mark recently, with 60 hours put into my Master League. That eclipses any other game I've played this year and is a surprisingly high number considering how many other games I have bought and am playing since Pro Evo came out.

JustAnotherOtaku said:
Haha yeah this years and last years had a nice, varied soundtrack. Nothing I really choose to listen to outside playing the game, but at least it's got variation :p

Which one was it that had the ridiculous OST that was seemingly from in-house bands at Konami or really unknown ones? I think it was PES 2007 or 2008. It had that "I want to fight, fight for the goal" song :lol

Regarding PES2011, just hit the 100 hour mark recently, with 60 hours put into my Master League. That eclipses any other game I've played this year and is a surprisingly high number considering how many other games I have bought and am playing since Pro Evo came out.

On the other hand, every time I hear Clubfoot, I reach for a phantom controller. :lol

Just played it with a friend in a LAN caffee and I must say I like it a lot. It looks very natural and I love the controls.

Unfortunately, I didn't even try it out before ordering FIFA 11 since every reviewer on the web said FIFA was better. ;_;

rvy

Banned
KONAMI details December 21st PES 2011 DLC

Konami Digital Entertainment GmbH has revealed details of a free data update for PES 2011, which will be available from December 21st.

The download will be available for PlayStation3, Xbox 360 and PC-DVD users, and adds a number of new items to the game. Twelve kits have been updated within the game, including those of the Ireland national team and some French club teams.
Similarly, ten new licensed boots styles from manufacturers such as adidas, Puma, Umbro and Mizuno have been added.

Further free DLC will be released for PES 2011 during the coming year.

0008227141352518139863.jpg

0008950965638205040157.jpg

0005210590567890862873.jpg

0002748933068909987964.jpg

0002685165736574945457.jpg

0006514644997641628911.jpg

0001119651856380656483.jpg

0005010365232756292350.jpg

0002332527264514003387.jpg

0007646280030179937700.jpg

0008218879393048989339.jpg

Finally Mizuno. Too bad they don't have the black and white Supersonic Wave.

jlevel13

The US PS3 gameplay patch (that came out everywhere else nearly a month ago) is supposed to finally come out Dec. 21st...

jmd494

jlevel13 said:
The US PS3 gameplay patch (that came out everywhere else nearly a month ago) is supposed to finally come out Dec. 21st...
what's it do?

EDIT: Nevermind, googled it:

KONAMI today announced that the latest free update for the PlayStation®3 version of Pro Evolution Soccer 2011 will be available on December 21, 2010.

Based on user feedback, new updates include a series of gameplay improvements included below:

Defender AI has been adjusted to allow for more consistent pressing

The difficulty level and success rate for performing Rainbow Flicks has been adjusted to improve gameplay

Throw-ins can now be passed back immediately

Cursor switching has been improved including situations when the ball is crossed

Calculating transfer fees in the Master League has been reworked

Names above CPU players can now be switched off as they mimic player settings

Shooting has been tweaked to produce more realistic reactions and results depending on real-time situations

Chants within the game have been refined or changed

PC owners with relatively low-spec machines now have a much more accessible way to find matches within the game's Legends Mode

feel

Arnie said:
I just want them to fix the referring, it's the only thing terrible about the game.
so true, the referees are atrocious, to the point where I get pissed off when they award ridiculous fouls that favor me.

And the penalty system is garbage too.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Playing online...can be one of the most frustrating experiences with Pro Evo. The refs are complete morons, and the through balls are so ridiculous, specially when it's with the heel, it's like the defenders do it on purpose to let the ball go through.

jlevel13

First of all, I had a great game online tonight - first time my opponent didn't pick Barcelona or one of the other five star teams... it was such a nice change of pace. I don't know what the solution is, but I'm just sooo bored of Barca after Barca - there's so much variety in these games people are missing out on it's driving me a little crazy. The match ended up a 0-0 draw between Arsenal (still 4 1/2 stars, but at least a team I'd never played against) and Newcastle (me), and I swear the most fun game I've had online so far.

Anyhow, I have a quick question - I notice online in ranked there are different divisions... what do those mean and how do you get in a division? I'I seem to still just have a straight line, I'm assuming I haven't yet played enough games (or am too crappy?). I've seen Ds though and even Bs whith the same amount of points as me? Can anybody explain what this division thing is about?

jlevel13

Nobody cares about PES anymore I guess? I wonder how few copies it sold?

It seems like there's an exploit at the start of matches? From the kick off, it's too easy to pass the ball at a forward angle down the side, then quickly cut back towards the center before defenses can get set (or organized?), leading to a 50/50 chance on goal in the first 15 seconds or so. Have scored and been scored against this way too many times online. Anybody else noticing this or am I just imagining things?

Is anyone else playing this game a lot? The game is brilliant, especially if you are playing with weaker teams. I think this might be my favourite PES, and I am on track to put more hours into this one than I did with PES 6.

Am in my ML campaign (WE United) and am having to concentrate a 100% on each and every game.

And my next four matches are Barca Away, Barca Home, Madrid Away, Barca Away. :/
(My top attacking players stat is a 67. Messi's is 102. 102?!)

whatsinaname said:
Is anyone else playing this game a lot? The game is brilliant, especially if you are playing with weaker teams. I think this might be my favourite PES, and I am on track to put more hours into this one than I did with PES 6.

Yup, still plugging away after a month or so of not playing it much. Just started my 6th ML season and am hooked again!

I play on Professional and never buy many 'big' players for my ML team, so it's rewarding to actually win anything. Won the Champions League two seasons ago, the league last year, as well as being runner up in the CL, and am hoping for the double this season.

I have 100+ hours sunk into this since the day it came out. Which is ever more impressive given the amount of other games that I have played since then.

rvy

Banned
I think Konami did a good job at reinventing the game, but it's hard to keep playing for months non-stop. One thing that really put me off after so many matches was how the through pass system is broken and how adding a power bar to normal passes probably wasn't such a good idea.
PES (PS2, not this generation) used to feel extremely responsive with its passing, it doesn't anymore. I like it better in 2011 than I did in all the previous years, but it's not as good as PES 6.

And those licensing issues, FFS... I get it, EA has the rights for the Premier League. There's like 4 or 5 leagues in Europe that could to be featured. When will these people get their heads out of their asses and license the Portuguese, Spanish and German leagues? Never, I'm guessing.
Not to mention they could license classic teams. I've said this so many times now...

rvy said:
I think Konami did a good job at reinventing the game, but it's hard to keep playing for months non-stop. One thing that really put me off after so many matches was how the through pass system is broken and how adding a power bar to normal passes probably wasn't such a good idea.
PES (PS2, not this generation) used to feel extremely responsive with its passing, it doesn't anymore. I like it better in 2011 than I did in all the previous years, but it's not as good as PES 6.

I did feel there were response issues with PES 2008-2010, but I don't see them in 2011. If the player receiving the ball is well positioned and taking the ball on his preferred foot, the passing is very responsive. (Of course, depending on the direction of the pass you are attempting to make.) The power bar that comes into play for longer passes gives a feel of weighing your pass.
I really like the mechanic.

I've put 60 hours in the game. I restarted ML, so am only in my second season but got promoted to the Spanish League. I set the scout to do all transfers and play at Top Player. (I feel guilty doing it, but I allow myself to replay 2 matches of my choosing during a ML year. It's my 2 'cheat' games.) :D

rvy said:
Where's my winter transfers update, Seabass?!

Heh. I am just playing ML now. Don't really require the transfers. I am sure Seabass will give us some more boot updates.

Third season, qualified for Europa League. Draw Real Madrid in the CdR first leg. :|

rvy

Banned
whatsinaname said:
Heh. I am just playing ML now. Don't really require the transfers. I am sure Seabass will give us some more boot updates.

Third season, qualified for Europa League. Draw Real Madrid in the CdR first leg. :|
The update should have surfaced by now though, even Jon Murphy mentioned it.

Top Bottom