• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Professor Layton and the Last Specter/Spectre's Call |OT| NoA Strikes Back

watershed

Banned
SecretMoblin said:
There is. Play the game normally, talk to everyone you meet, and you'll find a guy on the west side of town who will talk to you about it, but ask that you complete 10 missions first. Do some missions - remember to read the newspaper and sleep in your bed to speed up time - and he'll give you a bunch of options.
Okay thanks.

creid

SecretMoblin said:
There is. Play the game normally, talk to everyone you meet, and you'll find a guy on the west side of town who will talk to you about it, but ask that you complete 10 missions first. Do some missions - remember to read the newspaper and sleep in your bed to speed up time - and he'll give you a bunch of options.
I think it's actually 20 missions. 10 missions lets you use tag mode.

watershed

Banned
In London Life how do I expand my inventory or is there some kind of furniture that can store items?

Also some quest specific questions:
where do I go to get London rain and a cool music record?

jgkspsx

artwalknoon said:
In London Life how do I expand my inventory or is there some kind of furniture that can store items?

Also some quest specific questions:
where do I go to get London rain and a cool music record?
The cheap way to store stuff is a Mini Box. You can also buy a wardrobe. Seems like there's a hard limit of 200 items... which I just hit.

Not every store is in a building. Just talk to everybody and all your questions will be answered.

watershed

Banned
jgkspsx said:
The cheap way to store stuff is a Mini Box. You can also buy a wardrobe. Seems like there's a hard limit of 200 items... which I just hit.

Not every store is in a building. Just talk to everybody and all your questions will be answered.
Okay, thanks.

Smellycat

I just finished the main game. Awesome game as usual. The puzzles were great, some new and some old. The story was good, but the reveals were a little bit disappointing mainly because of the
misleading shape of the specter presented early on in the game. The Golden Garden reveal was fantastic though.
And I can't wait to learn more about the
villain
in later games. Also, I will admit that I teared up a little at the ending. This is the second time this has happened to me in Layton games, with the UF ending being the other one.

Just finished it. SPOILERS INCOMING! Is there no password from Unwound Future to use on this one or something? The hidden door just says to look for the password in Layton 5. I thought the game was pretty good. I thought the town was really nice looking and the characters were pretty good. I thought Loosha was really bad though. I mean I laughed out loud at how sappy and predictable her death was. Was I supposed to be sad when the cute Nessi thing that had been getting beat on for the last 30 minutes died? 'Cmon.

I have to admit that I'm kind of getting burned out on the puzzles. I don't play the games for the puzzles, I just want to watch the story. I'd be perfectly fine just watching Layton anime movies. Speaking of which, my Eternal Diva DVD just shipped from Amazon. :D I just think it would be better if more puzzles had more to do with the story or maybe if it was more like a traditional adventure game where you collect and combine items to solve puzzles. I'm definitely looking forward to the next game though.

I guess I'll try London Life now.

I love how Layton stories always start with some strange mystery and then balloon into complete batshit insanity by the end.

jgkspsx

Yeah, it's really funny. Sometimes I wonder if the climactic series finale will be like the end of The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari.

Did anyone else encounter a game-breaking bug on puzzle 141? It's required to beat to beat the game, and I swear I'm inputting the right answer (I've triple checked all over the internet), but the game is saying I'm wrong.

So close to the end too!! So disappointing.

SaintMadeOfPlaster said:
Did anyone else encounter a game-breaking bug on puzzle 141? It's required to beat to beat the game, and I swear I'm inputting the right answer (I've triple checked all over the internet), but the game is saying I'm wrong.

So close to the end too!! So disappointing.

I had a problem with that one too. I'd say it's more of script mistake than a bug though. You don't have to connect them to the same color. You can connect greens to blues. If you look online you should be able to find a photo of the solution.

Oni Link 666 said:
I had a problem with that one too. I'd say it's more of script mistake than a bug though. You don't have to connect them to the same color. You can connect greens to blues. If you look online you should be able to find a photo of the solution.

No, I definitely have the right answer. It matches exactly with the guide I'm looking at as well. I think I did something in some kind of weird order that freaked the game out.

Finally beat the game! Turns out what I thought was a bug was me not realizing that I actually had to drag the pieces onto the top rectangle in the puzzle. I was just rotating them on the bottom rectangle.

In any case, consider me very impressed. This was my first Layton game to play, and now I'm definitely interested in playing the past 3 games (sometime after this expensive holiday season).

How much of the game do you guys have completed? Here's mine:

Puzzles Solved: 119
Puzzles Found: 119
Picarats: 4074
Hint Coins: 162/257
Time Played: 16 hr. 29 min.
Trains Completed: 8/10
Fish Tanks Completed: 7/10
Collection: 16/24

jgkspsx

Finished LL. It was amazing to see actual animation there, for a few seconds. The quests continue long after the ending, apparently.

The main game is quite good. So far the minigames are pathetically easy compared to earlier ones, though.

I put a Proper Apple Pie out in LL, if anybody connects and cares. The whole money-item-storage model is totally broken. But, whatever, it's free.

Tizoc

Just beat the main game and man did this have some hard puzzles lol.
Emmy <3 she's now my fav. Layton character after the good professor. I personally didn't like how the story resolved before the epilogue, but was surprised that Don Paulo didn't magically disguise himself as anyone in this game, let alone not be in it.
Right now I'm trying to find the last Episode so I can unlock the last puzzles, and tonight I'll watch the animated movie and such be as up to date as possible with the Layton series, lol.

Tizoc

jgkspsx said:
Did you beat LL? That resolves one of your concerns. Unless you're EU, in which case, sorry :(
Hehe, the shop had the US version so I can also enjoy the Gentlemanery London Life!

When can we expect the 3DS game to be released in English? Late 2012 or 2013?

EDIT: BTW anyone know where I can get good quality videos of
Layton's swordfight from the 2nd game, and of Emmy's deadly roundhouse kicks
?

I just watched the Eternal Diva movie today and I thought it was pretty good. Most of the characters have different voices so, that's kind of weird at first, but it's a pretty good Laytonesque story. It would have worked as a game too. It takes place right after The Last Specter in the timeline so, I recommend watching it after beating The Last Specter.

GSR

Did you watch the US release or the European release? I've been wondering if the US release was redubbed with the American actors or not.

goober

Gf finished this game a couple weeks ago, says she cried but not as much as Unwound Future.

Also, where can I get Eternal Diva? or at least watch it

JEKKI

beat the story.

fukk dood 14.5 hours?!?!?!

took hella long and I still got all the puzzles and challenges left to do!!!

Gaaraz

Just reading a review, absolutely unbelievable that the European (and thus UK release) doesn't have the 100+ hour long 'London Life' RPG game.

I mean seriously, if they didn't want to translate it, could they not have at least thrown in the English version, apologise to the non-English speaking Europeans and at least give the rest of us a chance?

Sorry if this is close minded, and it's easy to say as I'm English, but from experience of playing online games and using web forums, many people speak English incredibly well, so that option would surely be preferable over just leaving it out.

Its a negative spiral. The only real way to let NOE know is via the post play survey (over here they are limited, not a bonus you get for registering the game like NOA) and the "what aspects didn't you like part" but at the same time if you felt strongly about it you imported the game from America anyway meaning you have no voice.

Foffy

Banned
Just reading a review, absolutely unbelievable that the European (and thus UK release) doesn't have the 100+ hour long 'London Life' RPG game.

I mean seriously, if they didn't want to translate it, could they not have at least thrown in the English version, apologise to the non-English speaking Europeans and at least give the rest of us a chance?

Sorry if this is close minded, and it's easy to say as I'm English, but from experience of playing online games and using web forums, many people speak English incredibly well, so that option would surely be preferable over just leaving it out.

You now feel the pain North American players have when it comes to Xenoblade Chronicles and the two other games that feature English but will not be released there.

At least you have a game to play from your region, even if you're missing a mode. If all else fails, import the NA copy?

Oxx

Out today in Europe, right?

I'm guessing by the inactivity in this thread that most people plumped for the US version.

Frost_Ace

Has euroGAF picked up this? I started this yesterday and the puzzle quality seems like a step-up from the disappointing "unwound future".

creid

Finally forced myself to finish London Life. I found it more tedious than fun, though I did love the sprite art. Not sure how duckroll had the patience to get as much Happiness as he did. EU, you aren't missing much.

duckroll

Finally forced myself to finish London Life. I found it more tedious than fun, though I did love the sprite art. Not sure how duckroll had the patience to get as much Happiness as he did. EU, you aren't missing much.

Lol, I didn't even beat the game. It was way too boring. It's pretty easy to get tons of Happiness though, just convert money into happiness by buying lots of expensive stuff.

randomkid

This is a pretty lame question, but does London Life have any spoilers for Last Specter in it? I noticed famous puzzles from past games in the museum and a character has already referenced Misthallery, is it pretty much safe to play through if I don't think too hard about anything that's not familiar? I'd rather not stumble upon a secret villain or something is what I'm basically saying.

Wizpig

I'm playing really slowly through this and i still have to start London Life... i hope at least 10 GAFfers will add me when i finally do start it!

Oxx

This isn't really working as a portable game for me as I always have to close the lid and wait until I'm in a quiet place whenever one of the animated cutscenes come on.

Wizpig

I started London Life, definitely charming and cute as an "extra", could work as a digital delivery title for about €5-6 too.

So basically the starting day in the adventure is the real life day (iirc), but then the time itself is not in real time (...) like Animal Crossing, right?

I will post my fc as soon as i get to online functionality.
There's also a streetpass like feature... that no one will ever use.

Wizpig

Ok, finally got my code, please add me when you have time:
3396-7625-4117

I don't see anyone talking about it here, but my friend code for London Life is 1163-2773-6028. I wonder how many people on GAF will even end up playing this...
Added
Alright, I just got past the 20-quest requirement for online stuff in Professor Layton's London Life, so if anyone wants to add me my friend code is 2709-4674-7431.
Added
My friend code in London Life: 1034-4343-4584

Added SecretMoblin and duckroll.
Added
Wow, I'm only #4? Hope that means others are playing the main game...

My code: 4126-8128-3878
Added
I finally went through the trouble of getting my DS to play nice with my Wi-Fi network so I could bring you all my London Life friend code: 3654-3695-3222

Since we all seem to be doing that now, added everyone who has posted their friend code so far. Mine is 1850-4765-9687.
Added
Here's my code:

0690 - 8453 - 3155

I'll go through the thread and add everyone.
Added

Did i forgot someone?

Top Bottom