• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Professor Layton and the Last Specter/Spectre's Call |OT| NoA Strikes Back

Trike said:
So I finish the first Layton game, but never got around to the other two. I picked up this one just for London Life but I also I want to play the story. I know it is a prequel, but would I benefit playing the others two first? Or does it not matter? I thought that each Layton game basically had it's own self-contained story, but I am not sure.
Each game is pretty self contained, but there are some threads that connect through out the series. Particularly pertaining to Luke & Layton's relationship. The ending of the third game sets up some of the stuff in Last Specter.

But I think starting with this one would be fine. All the Layton games are great though.

Added hosannainexcelsis.

Only duckroll has been confirmed so far. We just need five more people (once everyone updates) and then we'll have enough to get the special guest.

jgkspsx

Added everybody. Only duckroll is showing up. I swear it takes 24 hours+ for WFC to pass these requests among server nodes.

creid

duckroll said:
I just added you, and creid doesn't seem to have updated his game since, he's still not showing up as registered on my list.
I just updated, adding everyone else who's posted in this thread.

Wizpig said:
1) Thanks, i see, but do you think the code will work with US/EUR copies? i'd hate to miss the secret in the fourth game. maybe a code generator, if it doesn't work?
It does matter what system you're playing on. I think Level-5 knew that if you could, you'd get a password from a friend with the game, so the password that you need to put in is specific to the system you generated it on. So you will probably have to play Last Specter and Miracle Mask on the same system. If the 2 games are from different regions, I wouldn't expect it to work.

duckroll

creid said:
It does matter what system you're playing on. I think Level-5 knew that if you could, you'd get a password from a friend with the game, so the password that you need to put in is specific to the system you generated it on. So you will probably have to play Last Specter and Miracle Mask on the same system. If the 2 games are from different regions, I wouldn't expect it to work.

No, that's not true at all. I explained how it works earlier. When Last Specter was released in Japan, the 3DS didn't even exist. :p

Wizpig

To me the Unwound Future was almost at Ace Attorney levels: it's probably the game that really made me love Layton even more.
Some really emotional moments even OUTSIDE of animated cutscenes, like
Luke seeing the statue with an older man and a young kid

The first one, well, it's the first one, some good memories, but i don't love it as much as some other guys do.

The second one was amazing! i loved the scenarios and the story.

The fourth one is probably the one i'm going to like a little less, but i'm still only at Chapter 3 or so, so it can and will change -- what i love about the new trilogy is that it put the movie in motion. and the movie to me was just amazing. i watched it while playing Layton 3 when it came out in Europe... fantastic and very Laytonesque (= quite silly but charming) story.

creid

duckroll said:
No, that's not true at all. I explained how it works earlier. When Last Specter was released in Japan, the 3DS didn't even exist. :p
I can't say for sure that it does work that way with Specter and Mask, but it did work that way for the first 3. I put games 2 & 3 into different systems, and the password from one didn't work in the other until I put them in the same system. Don't see how it matters that the 3DS isn't out yet - I think they expect you to pop Last Specter into your 3DS to get the password.

duckroll

creid said:
I can't say for sure that it does work that way with Specter and Mask, but it did work that way for the first 3. I put games 2 & 3 into different systems, and the password from one didn't work in the other until I put them in the same system. Don't see how it matters that the 3DS isn't out yet - I think they expect you to pop Last Specter into your 3DS to get the password.

Oh, that's interesting. You're right, since the saves are on the card anyway, it doesn't matter as long as you stick the game into the new system. That makes sense. I stand corrected!

Everyone that has posted their Friend Code has been confirmed except creid. C'mon people, we just need four more Friend Codes and then we have a full set.

I just finished this game. I gotta say, I was expecting some crazy antics and bizarre plot twists like in Unwound Future and I was a little disappointed. Good game nonetheless. The end part almost made me cry.

Also, it kinda bugged me how no one noticed that
Arianna was playing an ocarina, not a flute!
Layton goes around and solves every mystery in existence and he never bothers to correct everyone on this?

Thoraxes

This game definitely has the best puzzle solving music out of all the games in the series.

I really hope they bring the 3DS Layton over here same time next year. They're just really great games for me.

I've played through all the laytons and I more or less remember most of the plots... I don't remember 3 having that great of one... why was it so emotionally rewarding again? I just remember
giant robot breaking out of fake underground London oh no gotta fly our car up and stop it
and what was the link to 4 someone mentioned about layton and Luke?

SteveWinwood said:
I've played through all the laytons and I more or less remember most of the plots... I don't remember 3 having that great of one... why was it so emotionally rewarding again? I just remember
giant robot breaking out of fake underground London oh no gotta fly our car up and stop it
In Lyaton 3, Luke is all depressed because he's leaving the country with his father after the investigation, ending his apprenticeship with Layton. In Layton 4 you get to see Layton meet up with Luke's father (who he was friends with in college) and the first time Luke & Layton teamed up and started their mentor/apprentice relationship. So it's more of a here's the (temporary) end, now let's show you the beginning type situation.

Boney

Banned
SteveWinwood said:
don't you remember layton's special someone?

I'm at chapter 3 and about to see the specter, but I think I got the plot figured out. Since this is only my guess, I don't think it needs to be spoiler tagged.

The specter is a giant robot or construction machine disguised as a monster. It's controlled by a man wanting to drive out the residents of the place so he can own the land to do whatever the fuck he wants to do.

jgkspsx

That was my guess as soon as the letter arrived. I'm sure there will be some insane, unnecessary plot twist to complicate it, though! Also, Don Paulo.

Cow Mengde said:
I'm at chapter 3 and about to see the specter, but I think I got the plot figured out. Since this is only my guess, I don't think it needs to be spoiler tagged.

The specter is a giant robot or construction machine disguised as a monster. It's controlled by a man wanting to drive out the residents of the place so he can own the land to do whatever the fuck he wants to do.

Very good guess. Not all the way there, though.

Alrus

I finished the story and just have to do the bonus puzzle to finish it. After nearly throwing my DS out because of yet another stupid sliding puzzle (the one with a blue and a red jewel), I gave up =/ (the hint for this one aren't nearly as helpful as usual...)

I don't even remember hating sliding puzzles that much before, but they just anger me now.

I found the story a bit underwhelming by the way. Maybe it's because I liked Unwound Future's story a lot, and this one is a bit weaker (and less emotional).

watershed

Banned
Alrus said:
I finished the story and just have to do the bonus puzzle to finish it. After nearly throwing my DS out because of yet another stupid sliding puzzle (the one with a blue and a red jewel), I gave up =/ (the hint for this one aren't nearly as helpful as usual...)

I don't even remember hating sliding puzzles that much before, but they just anger me now.

I found the story a bit underwhelming by the way. Maybe it's because I liked Unwound Future's story a lot, and this one is a bit weaker (and less emotional).
I agree about the story. Being the start of a new trilogy and not the conclusion of one it has less emotional weight to it. But it is a good start given the way the game ends. Its actually a lot like Curious Village in a way.

But I love the sliding puzzles. Anything puzzle that's visual or spatial I love, the math ones I completely suck at even though its pretty simple math.

Man, London Life is so addicting despite it's simplicity.

Does anyone know who the "special guest" is that you get in your town if you have 10 friends in your social club?

jgkspsx

I love the visual style of London Life, and the writing is charming (though the translators probably went insane), but the simplicity of the tasks makes it pretty unfulfilling IMO.

jgkspsx said:
I love the visual style of London Life, and the writing is charming (though the translators probably went insane), but the simplicity of the tasks makes it pretty unfulfilling IMO.
Well, it was just a bonus experimental game, so I think it's nice for what it is. But as I said before, it really makes me want the next Animal Crossing.

creid, you've been confirmed on my game now too. So now everyone who has posted their Friend Code so far as been added to my town.

Wizpig

Here's a little something i don't really like: the minigames.

I unlocked 2 out of 3.
They look like the Unwound Future minigames with a twist. not really original. the music is always awesome but if i'm not wrong it's the same music... with a twist, again.

Maybe i'm the only one, but i didn't dislike at all minigames like brewing Tea (in the second game).
While it was silly and trial & error it was really charming.

I still have to start LL but i'll be sure to post my fc here, is there a max of friends you can add?

What i can't get tired of is... the game itself. the puzzles. ok, sliding puzzles are crap, but other than that it's always fun.
I hope Layton 3DS didn't change the puzzle style, but changed a little bit more the exploration part.

I've been playing this on and off for a week or so and, although it's more of them same, that's definitely not a bad thing and I'm really enjoying it. I can't remember all of the tracks from the previous 3 games, but this one sounds to me like it has the best OST to date too.

Codeblue

Ok, cool. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to find a copy, but it looks like it's a situation exclusive to Amazon.

Thanks.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Codeblue said:
Ok, cool. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to find a copy, but it looks like it's a situation exclusive to Amazon.

Thanks.
Yeah, I mean it could be something else, but I seem to remember some 3DS games selling out very quickly. I believe Devil Survivor Overclocked just got a new shipment and already sold out again.

JEKKI

whooo~!!! I finally pulled myself away from Arkham City to start this game!

I do love me sum Layton but maaaan I freakin died on the 2nd puzzle!!!

seriously! I was looking at the dog... stupid azz shadows now I'm down 10 Piccaratos...

creid

Seems so wrong that, after several pages of people saying how terrible NOE was for cutting London Life from the game, we have a grand total of about 7 people actually playing the mode.

JeTmAn81

JEKKI said:
whooo~!!! I finally pulled myself away from Arkham City to start this game!

I do love me sum Layton but maaaan I freakin died on the 2nd puzzle!!!

seriously! I was looking at the dog... stupid azz shadows now I'm down 10 Piccaratos...

I did the same thing. Nothing makes you feel dumber than failing to get such an early puzzle. Though in my defense, my vision sucks and that puzzle was cramming four pictures onto a tiny screen. I really wish there was a zoom option for that one.

creid said:
Seems so wrong that, after several pages of people saying how terrible NOE was for cutting London Life from the game, we have a grand total of about 7 people actually playing the mode.
I think most people are finishing up the main game first before starting London Life. Layton threads here have never been super active in general anyway.

Doesn't excuse NoE's laziness. Though they still have a long way to get to current NoA levels.

I've been playing more London Life than the main game. Doing chores for people shouldn't be so fun, but the music, visuals, and dialogue give it so much appeal. Here's my code:

0690 - 8453 - 3155

I'll go through the thread and add everyone.

Edit: Alright, I sent out friend requests. Five total!

Trike

Gunloc said:
Each game is pretty self contained, but there are some threads that connect through out the series. Particularly pertaining to Luke & Layton's relationship. The ending of the third game sets up some of the stuff in Last Specter.

But I think starting with this one would be fine. All the Layton games are great though.

I started playing through Last Spector, but now I am wondering if I should just go ahead and get Diabolical Box and Unwound Future and just play them in order. I still have that code for unlocking stuff in Diabolical Box from Curious Village.

Edit: Hmm, they are on Amazon for like ~$22 each right now.

Wizpig

Gunloc said:
I think most people are finishing up the main game first before starting London Life.
I definitely am going to do that! if necessary i will bump the thread to death until you guys add me in London Life ;D

jgkspsx said:
SecretMoblin never resolved for me. Added Octorockin'.
Hm, I think I added you, but when I get back home tomorrow I'll recheck just to make sure. The lack of WPA2 support is frustrating, because it means I have to temporarily change the security settings on my router every time I want to connect a DS game to the internet.

We're tantalizingly close to 10 people, too.

Octorockin' said:
I've been playing more London Life than the main game. Doing chores for people shouldn't be so fun, but the music, visuals, and dialogue give it so much appeal. Here's my code:

0690 - 8453 - 3155

I'll go through the thread and add everyone.

Edit: Alright, I sent out friend requests. Five total!
Added you Octorockin', and with that my friend list is full. (I've got some non-gaffers on there too.) It's too bad that 10 is the limit. :/

If anyone of the others drop off though, I'll open the spots again if people are still playing here.

So, apparently having 10 friends on your list doesn't net you anything special at all. The special guests have to do with how many times you connect to Wi-Fi, not how many people are on your list.

The two Wi-Fi characters are
Celeste & Future Luke from Unwound Future.
At least one of them appears after you connect 10 times. I'm not sure about when the other one arrives. I've connect a bunch of times and have both already so I can't say for sure. Just keep updating and you'll get them eventually.

The five other special characters,
Tony & Arianna from Last Spectre and Janice, Melina and Oswald from Eternal Diva,
appear after you complete certain in-game conditions. One appears after you complete 100 requests
(Tony)
, one after 200 requests
(Arianna)
and the other three
The Eternal Diva characters
appear permanently after you complete the main "campaign" of London Life.

jesusraz

Another positive review to add to the first post:

Professor Layton and the Spectre’s Call (or Professor Layton and the Last Specter in the US), is easily right up there with the other three games, following on nicely from last year’s final part of the original trilogy, Professor Layton and the Lost Future. The only drawback is that there seems to be more repetition of puzzle types in this fourth outing, and as the start of a new trilogy, the story does not grip players quite as much as the enthralling climax in the previous release. The Spectre’s Call is definitely the second best out of the four entries in the Professor Layton series so far, though, and a fantastic treat just in time for the holiday period.

Cubed3 - 9/10

watershed

Banned
I'm really enjoying London Life now that I've been the main game. Its just really fun with simple gameplay, great sprites, and lovely music. Playing this makes me wish Brownie Brown made more games.

Sorry, been busy over the past few days. Added Octorockin' and confirmed jgkspsx. I now have the five others (I think) who've posted in this thread in my friend list.

watershed

Banned
So if I want to join in on this London Life wifi stuff what do I do? I'm playing on my 3ds and I'm not sure where to get my friend code assuming there is a game specific friend code for London Life.

artwalknoon said:
So if I want to join in on this London Life wifi stuff what do I do? I'm playing on my 3ds and I'm not sure where to get my friend code assuming there is a game specific friend code for London Life.
There is. Play the game normally, talk to everyone you meet, and you'll find a guy on the west side of town who will talk to you about it, but ask that you complete 10 missions first. Do some missions - remember to read the newspaper and sleep in your bed to speed up time - and he'll give you a bunch of options.

Top Bottom