• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS | OT | Made by 80.000 slightly mad developers

Patrick S.

Banned
It is realistic though! Rumour has it that the Porsche/EA license expires in 2016...?!
If so, and IF that means other games can get Porsche in the game, the flat six will be all over the place !!

It's not like EA is doing a lot with the license, either.

It is realistic though! Rumour has it that the Porsche/EA license expires in 2016...?!
If so, and IF that means other games can get Porsche in the game, the flat six will be all over the place !!

I know RUF went nuts with the RGT V8, but there is flat-six versions also.

And I'm a huge Porsche fanboy, so I miss the traditional 911 look alike.

Jamesways

Really enjoying this even more post patch, the new rain effects look great!

Regarding EA using Porsche, you know what's funny? The biggest use is in Real Racing 3 for phones and tablets. Plenty of Porsches in that, street to racing. Odd there is never a large roster in NFS games on console.

I like the game and what SMS release but they kick me in the guts each time I encounter an issue. My frustration level is fast approaching the Nurburgring Karusell corner master unlock in NFS: Shift (a total bastard to complete).
Ha! Wonderful reference. I never could get that turn to flag complete.

Mascot

Really enjoying this even more post patch, the new rain effects look great!

Yep, the game's getting to the stage it should really have launched in now. I've always had a blast with pCARS despite the niggles but it is nice to finally have a lot of them as bad memories.

Jamesways

I did get the complete flag and nearly had a mental breakdown doing so.

Yeah, and I was always jealous of that platinum for that track you had...

Still, even with the issues this game has, it really is the game I was hoping for while playing the Shift series. Not without it's annoying issues even after patch 3.0, but it's my favorite console racer for sure.
It'll keep me busy for a long time.

Mascot

Still, even with the issues this game has, it really is the game I was hoping for while playing the Shift series. Not without it's annoying issues even after patch 3.0, but it's my favorite console racer for sure.
It'll keep me busy for a long time.

Absolutely. Shifts 1 & 2 were both cripplingly flawed in places but they utterly nailed the dirty, oily thrill of motorsport. I was mortified when EA pulled the plug but pCARS has more than filled the void, warts 'n' all.

Probably a dumb question, but I can't find it for the life of me:

Where is the option for playing with Real Assists (so cars have the TCS and etc they have/don't for real) on Xbox One? I'm only seeing options to have the individual assists either ON or OFF. Thanks!

Probably a dumb question, but I can't find it for the life of me:

Where is the option for playing with Real Assists (so cars have the TCS and etc they have/don't for real) on Xbox One? I'm only seeing options to have the individual assists either ON or OFF. Thanks!

On PS4, is in Gameplay options.

Jamesways

Absolutely. Shifts 1 & 2 were both cripplingly flawed in places but they utterly nailed the dirty, oily thrill of motorsport. I was mortified when EA pulled the plug but pCARS has more than filled the void, warts 'n' all.

You still had the best quote in racing gaf ever saying something along the lines of feeling like a cup of tea after playing Forza but needing a shower after a tough race in Shift 2.

When I saw that Shift 1 "Driver's Experience" Go-Pro helmet cam video of Tommy Milner in the BMW at Long Beach, I knew exactly the visceral racing feeling they were going for. Overdone for many, but I loved it.

DD

Despite the new rain effects at the windshield, I still find the rain in this game really poor. It dries very fast, there's no drying paths, etc. I wish they could improve that.

Finally got this today, went for the XB1 version over PS4 since I like the controller better (I'm not ready to put down $$ for a current gen wheel right now). Love it so far, but I am spending a lot of time trying to get the controller settings to my liking. I searched around the thread some, but are there any popular baseline configs that might save me some time?

DD

Finally got this today, went for the XB1 version over PS4 since I like the controller better (I'm not ready to put down $$ for a current gen wheel right now). Love it so far, but I am spending a lot of time trying to get the controller settings to my liking. I searched around the thread some, but are there any popular baseline configs that might save me some time?

I have a good one that I can share with you when I get home.

EDIT: here. It's in brazilian portuguese, but you can get the numbers.

ProjectCARS201508192.jpg

b67ProjectCARS201508192.jpg

Note: "sim" means "yes", "ligado" means "on", and "desligado" means "off".

Jamesways

The comparison everybody was waiting for:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36PxDINs1J0

I have both games, at times I find DC's water to be a little too viscous/thick. But honestly, good looking effects in both games.

I've seen complaints about the "worms" on pCARS on the forum. Yesterday was pouring rain here in Mpls, and got a free stretch on the highway and did a little speed test to see how the rain behaves. pCARS is very similar to real life in that regard to water droplets running up the windshield.

I'm pretty happy with the new effects, they're much improved than per-patch.

Also, anyone done any night races with the old Lotuses?
Holy shit that's scary, mostly around the other cars.

Been addicted to the Lotus 72D Cosworth lately.

edit- finbaek, nice run there!

Patrick S.

Banned
I noticed those worms too and found them quite distracting. And I dislike the fact that there are no new raindrops on the windshield until a new wiping cycle begins.

Jamesways

I noticed those worms too and found them quite distracting. And I dislike the fact that there are no new raindrops on the windshield until a new wiping cycle begins.

That's what really makes the worms zig-zag/run up the windshield in real life, the rain going up between new drops appearing. Yeah, that could be a bit better.

Mascot

Yuck! Dont tell me you still dislike Bathurst...

I used to like you. What's happened?:-/

Ha ha..! Bathurst is fine in the right car, but something just clicked with Silverstone recently. I tend to prefer the wider, faster tracks as they make for better overtaking opportunities. It's a great fit for the GT classes despite being as flat as a pancake.

fresquito

Ha ha..! Bathurst is fine in the right car, but something just clicked with Silverstone recently. I tend to prefer the wider, faster tracks as they make for better overtaking opportunities. It's a great fit for the GT classes despite being as flat as a pancake.
It's okay. All tracks can be fun or unfun depending on a lot of factors, like car, mode you're playing on, people you're playing with... Silverstone GP was home to one of the best, if not the best, race I've ever played.

That said, I disagree it's a track that lends itself to easy overtaking. There're not many spots where you can risk overtaking if the man in front of you has similar pace, unless he does a mistake, of course. At equal levels, I'd say only the back straight is good point for overtaking.

Then again, when you're playing against randoms, you'll see quite a few more overtaking here than in Oulton Park, for example.

Mascot

It's okay. All tracks can be fun or unfun depending on a lot of factors, like car, mode you're playing on, people you're playing with... Silverstone GP was home to one of the best, if not the best, race I've ever played.

That said, I disagree it's a track that lends itself to easy overtaking. There're not many spots where you can risk overtaking if the man in front of you has similar pace, unless he does a mistake, of course. At equal levels, I'd say only the back straight is good point for overtaking.

Then again, when you're playing against randoms, you'll see quite a few more overtaking here than in Oulton Park, for example.

I think most wide tracks offer good overtaking opportunities because of the different lines that the extra space offers, particularly on corners. On narrow tracks it's sometimes tricky overtaking someone - cleanly - even if they're on a go-slow penalty because of the way they can block the track.

Disclaimer: I mainly race with 3 or 4 friends but with the lobby filled with randoms.

fresquito

I think most wide tracks offer good overtaking opportunities because of the different lines that the extra space offers, particularly on corners. On narrow tracks it's sometimes tricky overtaking someone - cleanly - even if they're on a go-slow penalty because of the way they can block the track.

Disclaimer: I mainly race with 3 or 4 friends but with the lobby filled with randoms.
Now I understand ;-D

I only play league races and some more light-hearted races against people from my clan (some of them are top level). One thing i can say for sure: league racing is where you can truely measure how easy or hard to overtake it is, since most people have trained the combo.

Just want to say Thank You to DD (for the pictures in the other thread) and Jamesways, bought the game because of you two and I ...

Love%20it!.png

Bought it for PS4 but I might actually go and get the Xbox One version as well, just to support SMS, cause they really did a great job with this game.

Mascot

Bought it for PS4 but I might actually go and get the Xbox One version as well, just to support SMS, cause they really did a great job with this game.

Welcome to the fold, HD - my Forza garages are still full of your liveries.

Instead of buying an almost identical (yet technically inferior) duplicate on the Xbone, why not invest that money in Project Cars 2? That way you'll still get to support SMS but you'll get to follow (and influence) the development of pCARS 2, and also get a reward at the end of it.

http://www.wmdportal.com/projects/project-cars-2/

fresquito

Instead of buying an almost identical (yet technically inferior) duplicate on the Xbone, why not invest that money in Project Cars 2? That way you'll still get to support SMS but you'll get to follow (and influence) the development of pCARS 2, and also get a reward at the end of it.

Mascot, are you involved in PC2?

Mascot

Mascot, are you involved in PC2?

Not yet. I keep meaning to. Is it still open?

Had a few CTDs in MP races since patch 3.0 now. Very frustrating. My GT2 wheel has flipped out a few times too: loss of shifting, odd/reversed shifting, brakes locked on, FFB loss etc.

Dilly

Banned
Not yet. I keep meaning to. Is it still open?

Had a few CTDs in MP races since patch 3.0 now. Very frustrating. My GT2 wheel has flipped out a few times too: loss of shifting, odd/reversed shifting, brakes locked on, FFB loss etc.

It should be open up until the period pCARS members receive their first return. Which can't be too long anymore.

Mascot

The thing that's been stopping me is that I can't run any PC builds. I guess following (influencing?) development would be reward enough, although stories like the way the horrendous UI came about might just frustrate the fuck out of me too much.

fresquito

The thing that's been stopping me is that I can't run any PC builds. I guess following (influencing?) development would be reward enough, although stories like the way the horrendous UI came about might just frustrate the fuck out of me too much.
Well, you will be getting the game once it is released, so you can take it as a very expensive and very early pre-order, I guess. Getting access to the forum is a big part of the fun, yeah. But how much fun is not being able to play the new tyre physics? the new FFB settings? The new deformable surfaces? That I don't know.

On the being impactful side... Well, it's both good and bad. Sometimes you can have some input and when that makes into the game, that feels great. On the other hand, when they ignore your input and the final result ends up being crap... that's tough shit to swallow.

It's a very interesting experience if you're midly interested in videogames as a whole. If you only care about having an impact on the develpment, I'd suggest you to pass on the chance.

Mascot

Well, you will be getting the game once it is released, so you can take it as a very expensive and very early pre-order, I guess. Getting access to the forum is a big part of the fun, yeah. But how much fun is not being able to play the new tyre physics? the new FFB settings? The new deformable surfaces? That I don't know.

On the being impactful side... Well, it's both good and bad. Sometimes you can have some input and when that makes into the game, that feels great. On the other hand, when they ignore your input and the final result ends up being crap... that's tough shit to swallow.

It's a very interesting experience if you're midly interested in videogames as a whole. If you only care about having an impact on the develpment, I'd suggest you to pass on the chance.

I'm bound to build a decent PC in the next two years so am still tempted to hop on.

DD

Just want to say Thank You to DD (for the pictures in the other thread) and Jamesways, bought the game because of you two and I ...

Love%20it!.png

My God... What is the word in english for someone that says something, but the opposite of that happens? Because that's me. No matter how much a cry "buy Grid Autosport!", "Dirt Rally is amazing!", "The Talos Principle is on sale, and it's more than worth it's full price. Grab it!", "Nimbus is a fantastic little game, go get it!", for example, and nobody listen to me. I call Project Cars a turd and someone actually buys it because of me! -.-'

Haha, but being honest now, the game improved a lot after a these last two patches (yet there are tons of problems to fix). I'm playing my butt off of it too, it's fun as f*ck, really. But still problematic. :p

Glad to know you're having fun with it.

And, ah! I have some Forza liveries you made too, BTW. They're bloody amazing!

Momentary

Banned
I'm bound to build a decent PC in the next two years so am still tempted to hop on.

You're not missing out on much now. I will admit seeing the game go from build 0 with a test plane with different surfaced lanes to a bare bones dirt rally track and the seeing that being built from the ground up into what's there now has been pretty damn cool.

There's already an abundance of tracks. Although only 1 is being fleshed out right now and it looks fucking amazing. There aren't any "licensed" cars yet, but you can tell what they are. They just removed the badging.

I don't see the game being completed for another 2 and half or 3 years.

They just added a new track that's a classic that's going to blow everyone's mind. Wish I didn't have to be so cryptic about all of this.

Metfanant

You're not missing out on much now. I will admit seeing the game go from build 0 with a test plane with different surfaced lanes to a bare bones dirt rally track and the seeing that being built from the ground up into what's there now has been pretty damn cool.

There's already an abundance of tracks. Although only 1 is being fleshed out right now and it looks fucking amazing. There aren't any "licensed" cars yet, but you can tell what they are. They just removed the badging.

I don't see the game being completed for another 2 and half or 3 years.

They just added a new track that's a classic that's going to blow everyone's mind. Wish I didn't have to be so cryptic about all of this.
I keep telling myself that I want to build a new PC, but I just never get around to it...

So basically, as a console only gamer..is there much I benefit from in supporting pCARS 2 other than having access to the rewards and being able to keep an eye on development in the forums? I'd like to support, but I just feel like I wouldn't really get to take advantage of it

Momentary

Banned
I keep telling myself that I want to build a new PC, but I just never get around to it...

So basically, as a console only gamer..is there much I benefit from in supporting pCARS 2 other than having access to the rewards and being able to keep an eye on development in the forums? I'd like to support, but I just feel like I wouldn't really get to take advantage of it

XBOX ONE will have builds soon too. Sony doesn't have an early access system in place, so I don't know when they'll get it to that platform.

XBOX ONE will have builds soon too. Sony doesn't have an early access system in place, so I don't know when they'll get it to that platform.

First of all I didn't even know they are working on a sequel already (can't keep up with anything lately), that's a great news and since Xbox One will have builds too then of course I will support it :)

Metfanant

t500 owner here...so I'm on the PS4...would live if SMS can get something worked out with Sony...I'd support in a heartbeat

Top Bottom