• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS | OT | Made by 80.000 slightly mad developers

Momentary

Banned
So if we invest in PC2 we can play access builds on Xbox One? This year or early next maybe?

They are talking about doing an alpha or beta now that I read it. So it will probably be a while until they get to an Alpha build. They are still VERY early in the dev process.

Klocker

They are talking about doing an alpha or beta now that I read it. So it will probably be a while until they get to an Alpha build. They are still VERY early in the dev process.
Thanks. Might invest. Pc2 looking ambitious as hell
Am just happy to hear Xbox would have preview builds as I dont PC game anymore

fresquito

You need to undertand that, for PC at least, these are not preview builds. These are development builds. They have many broken things. Everything is WiP, basically.

I always chuckle when I read about people being tired of the bugs in PC1 and about having to wait three months to have them fixed. Try having to deal with these bugs for three years xD

That said, the starting point for PC2 is PC1, so things are not as ugly as they were back in 2011,

Mascot

You need to undertand that, for PC at least, these are not preview builds. These are development builds. They have many broken things. Everything is WiP, basically.

I always chuckle when I read about people being tired of the bugs in PC1 and about having to wait three months to have them fixed. Try having to deal with these bugs for three years xD

That said, the starting point for PC2 is PC1, so things are not as ugly as they were back in 2011,

PLEASE tell me that the UI guy has been sent to Siberia.

fresquito

Yeah, but they are keeping him locked in a dark room in the meantime, yes?
Hahahaha. I'm afraid to say he's one of the big names at SMS. This time around... I don't know, I want to believe that he (and other big names) has learned his lesson and will pay attention to the roaring community.

Dilly

Banned
They are not even at that point to worry about the UI yet. They are just using place holders for right now.

That's what they kept saying last time around.

Hahahaha. I'm afraid to say he's one of the big names at SMS. This time around... I don't know, I want to believe that he (and other big names) has learned his lesson and will pay attention to the roaring community.

I thought the issue was that he wasn't really an UI designer and more of a graphical/art designer.

fresquito

I thought the issue was that he wasn't really an UI designer and more of a graphical/art designer.
I thought the issue was (and is) that he doesn't play his game that much. Nothing confirmed, but I simply can't accept that anybody that has spent some quality time with the title wouldn't notice how bad the UI was even for the most basic things.

Mascot

it rather makes a complete mockery of the whole WMD process if an individual's ego can trump the vocal majority and leave us with a major obstacle every time we play the game. It must have been very frustrating to witness it as it unfolded.

fresquito

it rather makes a complete mockery of the whole WMD process if an individual's ego can trump the vocal majority and leave us with a major obstacle every time we play the game. It must have been very frustrating to witness it as it unfolded.
That's one of the things that people need to understand: This is SMS' game to do. So, it's their decision in the end. They have the WMD tool, yes, but that community developed thingie simply is not true. We help, we provide feedback, we can even create assets for the game, but it's their game. Whoever enters WMD needs to understand this or the frustration will drive them mad.

It took my some time to understand this. Luckily enough, not all SMS devs are as closed minded as the guy in charge of the GUI. In fact, most of them are very open to feedback.

Klocker

not getting the ui hate... yes it's not pretty but it's functional. the start menu function to quickly go to settings or garage and back again is a nice shortcut

the ugliest thing to me are the horrible car selection screens and the livery selections with their slow ugly look, Otherwise before, during or after racing, I feel I can get anywhere in the ui pretty quickly and easily (on pad, xbox btw)

DD

AW, FOR F*CKS SAKE!!! I give up on Le Mans. More than one and a half hour in the race, avoiding looking at replays and not using the photomode just to not to scare the freaking bugs of this game, and what happens again? Yep, the same shit I mentioned two posts above. The game simply freezes and close. Seriously, f*ck this game! I won't say good things, nor will I post pics and videos of it until SMS fix this shit. /rant

paskowitz

I've pretty much had it with this games "physics". Road cars are just plain garbage. They either turn like a 300hp Honda Civic on full lock (IE they don't turn) or exhibit bipolar oversteer that makes an MR2 in the rain seem tame. Some race cars are amicable... but most handle like shopping carts.

I remember way back when, when this game was in development, the physics seemed ok. The FFB was bad (better now), but the cars handled like one would expect. Am I crazy or has anyone else noticed this?

I'm geting a lot of crashes and annoyances lately to the point I'm putting my pCARS extravaganzas to a halt.

Somehow, SMS managed to bring crashes back from 1.0, just worst, in an overdrive. Clearly, they are trying to make up for the crashes I didn' got with 2.0. And lots of people by the looks of things.

The game is awesome when it works but the amount of crap that you have to endure is overwhelming.

fresquito

Luckily enough I dont ha ve crashes. My most recureent bug now is the look back and change camera not working in P and Q. Besides, for some unknown reason, confirm button doesnt work anymore on my g27, so navigating the UI is somewhat even more painful. Hard to believe this could happen.

On the positive, the other day I tried the A1 freebie and what a blast that car is.

xrnzaaas

Man, the 3.0 patch really is unstable. Two crashes in one night and it never happened before. And it wasn't even the case of the physics, the AI or the console overheating, because both crashes happened in the career menu.

PS. I know a lot of you guys have raced a lot in the Formula B races so here are two questions from a formula rookie:
1. Is there a way to prevent the pit crew from installing the Yiro tires? They're shit since it's much harder to get some heat into them.
2. Is the sprint race under reverse grid rule conditions? I know I've done two great qualifying times and yet I start from 8th in the second race.

What is very disturbing is every new patch is released with notes saying things were adressed. Only to you find out that they weren't. Which makes me wonder if the code is healthy, because if the people who created it can't make it to work properly... I mean, who will?

I had some CTDs with pCARS 1.whatever it was before 2.0. With 2.0, had all the annoyances with pit-stops and whatnot, but not a single crash. With 3.0, at least eight crashes, which made me stop playing pCARS for the time being. Oh, and the landmine fest came back as well

Oh, and the landmine fest came back as well

I didn't know what that was so I went and Youtube it and now I know why the fuck I'm spinning so much out of nowhere . This shit happens a lot to me, first I thought maybe I get bumped from behind, then maybe it was my driving and the driving model is so hardcore, now I know it's pure shit!!!

Mascot

I've had a few CTDs since 3.0, but never had one before. My Fanatec wheel and pedals are also playing up (odd shifting glitches, brake pedal soft-locked), but I don't *think* it's pCARS related, unless patch 3.0 has somehow corrupted the firmware, which I doubt.

Man, I hope they get this stuff sorted. No wonder 3.0 has been (allegedly) rejected by Microsoft and returned to SMS.

Is pCARS 2 using the same underlying code as a basis? Hopefully these issues aren't endemic and can be isolated and dealt with. A lot of people seem to be finally losing patience with the game, which is a big shame.

fresquito

Yeah, I have wondered how much Shift code was copy/pasted into pCARS. Fresquito?
There's some legacy code in PC1. It's mostly rendering, I think. But these invisible walls and landmines usually are model related, nothing to do with the engine. Crashes and stuff? Yeah, probably lots of conflicts very hard to track in a far more bloated code than needed. Add in multiplatform complexity and you have a party.

They're doing some heavy clean up for PC2 and some of that will probably translate into PC1. The sad truth is that this is a very, very complex game that happens to be multiptaform and is done by a team smaller than the game needs (plus, it's vacation time).

Not trying to excuse anything here, but the Shift references have no substance, in my opinion.

_machine

There's some legacy code in PC1. It's mostly rendering, I think. But these invisible walls and landmines usually are model related, nothing to do with the engine. Crashes and stuff? Yeah, probably lots of conflicts very hard to track in a far more bloated code than needed. Add in multiplatform complexity and you have a party.

They're doing some heavy clean up for PC2 and some of that will probably translate into PC1. The sad truth is that this is a very, very complex game that happens to be multiptaform and is done by a team smaller than the game needs (plus, it's vacation time).

Not trying to excuse anything here, but the Shift references have no substance, in my opinion.
Yeah, a lot of the related code seems to have been replaced during the development. It's a very complex matter though as you have different, extremely complex systems running on a high frequency colliding with surfaces that are always limited by polygonal detail and then you add a ton of physics calculations that affect the car itself like aero etc. Basically there doesn't necessarily have to be anything problematic with the vertices of the track model or the calculations to create a perfect storm. It's the reason why the same kinds of issues do crop up in most racing games, just a lot less often.

Anyway, hoping to get into the game again after a little vacation and I'm kinda excited for the road car heavy DLC coming soon; I've never really felt that the road cars are considerably worse than the track vehicles and enjoy the game as a driving simulator every now and then. Started to notice the huge discrepancies in the AI levels, which is super annoying though; I simply don't like having to constantly change the difficulty as it feels a bit like cheating to me.

ShamePain

Banned
Instead of already making PC2 they should've delayed the first game for another 2 or 3 years. The state of this game on all fronts is not worthy of AAA title.

Juicy Bob

I don't know if I'm just lucky, but I've only had one major bug/crash on this game on my PS4 so far.

I haven't done any long/full length races yet, but I'm going to with my Formula B championship that I'll start this week, so maybe I'll see more problems then. Hopefully not.

xrnzaaas

Instead of already making PC2 they should've delayed the first game for another 2 or 3 years. The state of this game on all fronts is not worthy of AAA title.

They would probably need to close down before that. Besides, pCARS was in development longer than most AAA racing games and they were probably running out of the crowdfunding money. Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending the current state of the game (and its state when it was released), but there are some limitations when you're a fairly small studio without a huge publisher supporting you financially.

Mascot

Is pCARS even considered a AAA title? I thought that (pointless) moniker was reserved for large-team huge-budget releases?

Anyway, forgetting semantics for a sec, there's no denying that pCARS launched in a troubled state (especially on consoles) and still has some way to go.

Curiously, I'm still absolutely loving it though, bad breath and B.O. notwithstanding.

fresquito

I like my games as polished as the next guy. I really do. I don't know if it's that I've gotten used to these niggles, have found workarounds or I have some attachment after all these years, but the truth is that I think many people can't see the forest because the trees.

Project CARS is trying to offer very complex physics, great FFB that's also highly customizable, really convincing graphics (when not seriously impressive), real-life mechanical tweaking, lively track with a great representation of all the major elements that make racing a dynamic experience, a great list of cars that feel unique one from each other, a lot of fantastic tracks, both famous and obscure, in your face driving with lots of options for camera settings and a career mode that offers lots of different disciplines and mimics real life motorsports. And know what? I think it succeds in most areas with ease.

Yeah, there're bugs, there're lots of things that shouldn't be the way they are. But I'm yet to see a racer as bold as this, and one that, being so bold, is so successful in delivering in your face racing simulation. I'm sorry for those that can't enjoy this game.

DD

What platform are you guys using with this game? I'm playing on a PS4.

I never faced these landmines bugs (ayy lmao), but the crashes at Le Mans are really frequent, and annoying as f*ck. The audio and the image simply freezes, then the game is closed and a message suggesting to report the error back to Sony appears.

EDIT: but before the last crash there were this weird accident with the AI. A LMP1 RWD was overtaking me (I was on a LMP2 Marek), and he flew over the kerb, landing sideways onto the asphalt, and then he was launched into the sky. Weird as f*ck. Maybe it was this landmine problem? I saved the video.

danowat

Banned
Patch 3.0 has been very good for me, it's cleared up pretty much all the issues I had with the game, I can have a decent season offline, with good racing from the AI, and, touch wood, have yet to have a CTD, on the PS4 version, but I haven't done many (any?) races at Le Mans, which is where most of the problems appear to occur.

Patch 3.0 is really what we should have got at release, but I understand that they needed to push it out the door, but it's been a bumpy ride!

DD

I just love it when people a). can't edit their videos to eliminate the tedious and totally irrelevant shit at the beginning, and b). subject the planet to their shitter-than-the-shittiest-shit fucking music choices.

Apologies if this is your video.

Not mine. I said that I never had this bug before. :p

And I watched the video without sound. Sorry if it was Nickelback.

Jilt

I've pretty much had it with this games "physics". Road cars are just plain garbage. They either turn like a 300hp Honda Civic on full lock (IE they don't turn) or exhibit bipolar oversteer that makes an MR2 in the rain seem tame. Some race cars are amicable... but most handle like shopping carts.

I remember way back when, when this game was in development, the physics seemed ok. The FFB was bad (better now), but the cars handled like one would expect. Am I crazy or has anyone else noticed this?

True the physics in the racing cars are much better.
I think it has to do with the feeling of speed contra "real speed". If you push less with the road cars, they become much more easy to handle and predictable.

fresquito

True the physics in the racing cars are much better.
I think it has to do with the feeling of speed contra "real speed". If you push less with the road cars, they become much more easy to handle and predictable.
The A1 Quatro is one of the best cars in the game to me. It's so, so, so much fun.

In an unrelated note, we at LFO Club are resuming our activity after the summer break with an exciting GT3 Championship. It will start Sep. 6th. Those of you that know Spanish and want a serious, well organised and clean league, send a PM this way ;-)

GT3%2BChampionship%2BLFOClub.jpg

danowat

Banned
Road car physics are improved since the road tyre model upgrade in 3.0, ragging the Mercedes SLS around Silverstone is just so much fun.

Icefire1424

I'm rather enjoying the open wheel racers in this game. Opted to sign into Formula C after a brief stint in Formula Gulf, following up Formula Rookie. Took a bit to get used to how fast those things accelerate and brake, but damn if they aren't fun to drive.

Top Bottom