• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS | OT | Made by 80.000 slightly mad developers

Lego Boss

Seriously what the hell is up with the handling of the karts its complete dog shit!, they dont seem to have any characteristics of real life karts at all, for a start they seem to have a turning circle of a submarine or even slide the cards. Have have an issue now and again where the XB1 pad doesn't seem to response if turn the stick all the way to the right the wheels seem to stay left

I've noticed this. I thought it was because of damage, but got no idea why it acts the way ut does. I'm gonna change my settings and see if that helps, but it feels undriveable at the moment.

Kysen

Picked up a T300RS and the PS4 version of the game, this is awesome. Glad I ignored the hyperbole about the ghosting. One thing to mention is that the default FFB settings are terrible. Wheel is way too heavy and jerks whenever you come out of a turn/hit a wall.

I followed the settings from that ISR video and what a difference it made. The Mz setting is the culprit. Also I spent 5min trying to figure out why I couldn't turn on my headlights on a night track. Turns out the car didn't have any lol.

GT7 has a high bar to clear, the SMS team have really put something special together here.

just a couple more shots

Rgvb.png

LilJoka

Actually, I would love if you did. Love me some AC.

Will do, I'm actually putting a dude by side video of PCars abd AC with pad using 190E at Nurb Sprint.

My settings are the twitchy kind of type fpr slower cars but work better with faster cars. I have really fine control of the analogue sticks, I learnt from a long time ago with pc sims when I didn't have a wheel.

So I warn you that it doesn't feel like Forza or GT type controls which use active aids to determine optimum steering lock based on slip angles, meaning you can do full swing on analogue sticks without using silly steering locks at any speed. Neither PCars or AC do this.

Segaswirl

I'm playing the X1 version with a pad and no assist, it's really rough. Won 2 kart titles and various races so far but it still feels like a constant struggle with how twitchy the game is. It really doesn't feel right and I can't say i'm enjoying it.

Not only am I fighting with the twitchiness but when I finally felt like I got used to driving the Caterham, the framerate would take random nose dives at certain parts of tracks (like the last couple of corners at Snetterton) causing me to misjudge things and spin off the track.

Honestly feel like just shelving the game for now, at least until they patch it up a bit.

SliChillax

I feel like I'm not getting many of the points in your post. So you ARE playing with an FFB-wheel, I hope I got that right (because you also say "controller configurations").

You mean the wheel on screen doesn't match your physical wheel's rotation fast enough? You can calibrate your wheel in the options, then it always matches perfectly for me.
If you want to make super-sudden, but small inputs of correction, that you feel get lost in "smoothing" maybe try a higher "steering sensitivity".

Somehow I still feel like I've gotten you wrong and you play with a gamepad/controller and your problem is that the speed-sensitive turning circle is too wide, no matter how slow you drive to make it smaller (turn-in more with the stick all the way in one direction).

@Everyone with an FFB-wheel, who hasn't tried it yet, try adding/adjusting the SoP setting, but not as gentle as Darin from Inside Sim Racing does it in his video:

https://youtu.be/mlOdRTB4njY?t=18m4s

try playing with the SoP settings! (by default all of these are off/set to 0)
Try SoP-scale 100
lateral 50,
differential 100

this will give you more of the standard FFB-feel that gives you information about the chassis-movement and how close you are to make the rear/car fly off. It changes the feel fundamentally!
Whether you like it in the end or not, I think everyone should give it a try.

No I'm using a 360 controller, sorry. I mentioned it in another post but I forgot to mention it again.

Edit: The steering wheel controls feel unresponsive. It's impossible to correct an oversteer by steering the opposite way because the game doesn't respond to my commands. As a user said above, all vehicles have a turning radius of a submarine unless you're driving at 5mph.

DagsJT

Racing in a GT4 at Donington, current time of day (9pm) on Xbox One ... awful. Coming from also being a PC gamer, the frame drops and stutter is shocking at times and really takes me out of the immersion.

If anything, Project Cars is giving me more reason to upgrade my graphics card in my PC so I can play this properly without it falling apart everytime I try to turn a corner.

danowat

Banned
Those having trouble with catching slides, instead of countersteering, just re centre the stick, ok, it's not what you'd do in a real car, but the steering is much more granular with a wheel.

Reading this forum, and the PCars forum, it's clear that this game really wasn't ready for market.

Those of us with experience in these types of games are more prepared to spend hours and hours getting the controls just right, it's probably a little unfair to expect everyone to do the same.

It is very possible to drive with a controller, but it's hard, the grip physics are fairly forgiving up to the limit, but going over that limit will bite you hard.

If you're struggling, you probably just need to temper your expectations about how fast you think you should be, and / or run with assists.

edit : I also hear SMS are patching the controller "issues", I really hope this doesn't mean they will suck all the fun out of the game.....

brentech

Just got it on PC. When I launch the game I get audio but the game doesn't get focus and I can't find a way to get it.

When I close the game, it will flash for a short time where I can see the game menu. I do have 3 monitors, but not trying anything fancy. Just running the game to the primary, middle, monitor.

saladine1

No difference in fps for me either with a 280X and i920.

Oh and I relayed the wishes of having external sounds in onboard view and sliders for different sounds, and they are looking into the possibility of adding those in a future patch :)

Fuck yeah!!

AM2N9f6.gif

You are a legend!!!!!

Imo, this should be a priority.....lol..

LilJoka

Actually, I would love if you did. Love me some AC.

Mercedes 190E
Nurburgring GP Sprint
Xbox 360 Pad

https://youtu.be/uOnylsUT1_c

Assetto Corsa Pad Settings
Speed Sensitivity 88%
Steering Speed 30%
Gamma 2.5
Filter 0.75
Deadzone 0.22

Project Cars Pad Settings
Steering deadzone 0.12
Steering sensitivity 5%
Throttle sensitivity 15%
Brake sensitivity 15%
Speed sensitivity 55%
Controller filtering sensitivity 60%
Input Mode 2
Advanced:-
Soft steering On
Visual filtering Off

A bunch of my standard braking points for Nurb GP just dont work in PCars. rFactor, AC, GTR2 even codies F1 201X all have very similar braking points, especially the last chicane. In AC i brake at 150m mark with room to spare, in PCars 150m mark is not enough to make the apex. Maybe this is due to braking sensitivity setting. I reduced this as i found under braking the rear wanted to come round very often.

Generally the car feels less informative through the rumble and the way the camera is tied to the car. Seems like its locked to horizon in PCars, wheras in AC i have it locked to the car movement, so i can detect the rear end sliding earlier. Sometimes you can get PCars to kick up tyre smoke and no rumble effect is played.

I felt turning up the speed sensitivity in PCars made it such that i couldnt get enough steering lock in mid speed turns. It may just be the animation of the steering wheel isnt right and that is throwing me off. Usually i know i need about 90* and PCars seems to animate a lot less than that in the video.

I found it interesting i could not get the T3 right in PCars at all, always going way to deep. Need to compare speeds and see if i was just too hot or what it was.

I found it easier to run the car to the limits of the track in AC (or even overconfident and ip a wheel in the grass), a lot of time in PCars i seem not to be able to run the outside - inside - outside line, instead I run middle - inside - middle.

An indication of how competitive one can be with a pad in AC
http://www.radiators-champ.com/RSRLiveTiming/index.php?page=rank&track=620&car=1206&rank_type=all&tyre_type=all&controller_type=all&community=all&friends=all

I ran a low 1 minute 40 sec on that final lap.

I think 1 minute 39.5 sec lap was done in PCars.

brentech

Fullscreen not working for me on my 1440 monitor. Had to start the game on my secondary 1080p monitor, set it to windowed mode and restart. 1440 Windowed is fine (no borderless option though?). But I can't get it to work in full screen, alt+enter doesn't help because it won't focus on the game -weird. Game is awesome though.

Sounds like I'm having a similar problem. I still haven't been able to do anything with the game yet. Game just won't get focus.
I guess I need to do launch options for windowed mode on this one for now. Updating drivers just in case.

T.O.P

Banned
Hello real life (in game hud off)

pcars2015-05-0923-53-3pyaa.png

i'm in love with the grass/asphalt details, game runs so much better on my pc after the HUD thingy

brentech

Welp. Game doesn't want to work for me. Just keeps minimizing after showing a fraction of a second of the dev logo. Launch options don't seem to be having any effect as it also loads full screen.

I even disabled my secondary monitors and the same exact problem. Only thing I can think of is that the game makes a 'device unplugged' noise when the game minimizes, and that seems to be in conjunction with Logitech Gaming Software for the profiler. I want to uninstall it, but afraid the game is dependent on it i some dumb fashion.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Mercedes 190E
Nurburgring GP Sprint
Xbox 360 Pad

https://youtu.be/uOnylsUT1_c

Assetto Corsa Pad Settings
Speed Sensitivity 88%
Steering Speed 30%
Gamma 2.5
Filter 0.75
Deadzone 0.22

Project Cars Pad Settings
Steering deadzone 0.12
Steering sensitivity 5%
Throttle sensitivity 15%
Brake sensitivity 15%
Speed sensitivity 55%
Controller filtering sensitivity 60%
Input Mode 2
Advanced:-
Soft steering On
Visual filtering Off

A bunch of my standard braking points for Nurb GP just dont work in PCars. rFactor, AC, GTR2 even codies F1 201X all have very similar braking points, especially the last chicane. In AC i brake at 150m mark with room to spare, in PCars 150m mark is not enough to make the apex. Maybe this is due to braking sensitivity setting. I reduced this as i found under braking the rear wanted to come round very often.

Generally the car feels less informative through the rumble and the way the camera is tied to the car. Seems like its locked to horizon in PCars, wheras in AC i have it locked to the car movement, so i can detect the rear end sliding earlier. Sometimes you can get PCars to kick up tyre smoke and no rumble effect is played.

I felt turning up the speed sensitivity in PCars made it such that i couldnt get enough steering lock in mid speed turns. It may just be the animation of the steering wheel isnt right and that is throwing me off. Usually i know i need about 90* and PCars seems to animate a lot less than that in the video.

I found it interesting i could not get the T3 right in PCars at all, always going way to deep. Need to compare speeds and see if i was just too hot or what it was.

I found it easier to run the car to the limits of the track in AC (or even overconfident and ip a wheel in the grass), a lot of time in PCars i seem not to be able to run the outside - inside - outside line, instead I run middle - inside - middle.

An indication of how competitive one can be with a pad in AC
http://www.radiators-champ.com/RSRLiveTiming/index.php?page=rank&track=620&car=1206&rank_type=all&tyre_type=all&controller_type=all&community=all&friends=all

I ran a low 1 minute 40 sec on that final lap.

I think 1 minute 39.5 sec lap was done in PCars.

Awesome, thanks for all this. Will try these settings in both games to see how it feels for me.

Linius

Damn, I just had a kart race with very annoying sun flare. I have the perfect line off so at times it was just impossible to know where the track was. It looks nice but it's just distracting too much.

RP912

Banned
As much as I love this game, I'm going to put it to the side until there's a driver update for it (AMD user :().

Once I realize the fact that the hud holds back a small portion of the the fps...I threw my hands up. The lack of optimization is killing me.

fresquito

I'd like to ask about track preferences. I recognise that when I first got into the game and read about the four UK laser scanned tracks, I could not care less. I didn't know them even in the slightest. I just cared about the usual suspects, F1 tracks most of them. How ignorant I was...

My three favorite tracks are these:

Sonoma Raceway
I'm yet to try a car that is not a blast to race in this track. It's superb. I dearly remember my first time here, thinking to myself: Ok, this is an F-Zero track, why is it here? So many blind turns, so many ups and downs. But once I learned the very basics about it, I couldn't stop doing laps. It's soooo good, yet so hard. To this day, I'm still trying to figure out how to max the Carousel (turn 6).

Oulton Park
Okay, this track is seriously amazing. Races here are so much fun, but solo is also fun. But races... races are sooooo intense in this track. Overtaking is very hard, yet so satisfying when you finally get to overtake. And when you're defending your position, it's equaly as challenging, because even when it's hard to overtake, there're soooo many turns that can lead you into doing something wrong. I really love this track.

Mount Panorama (AKA Bathurst)
This track is made in heaven. Races here are tense, yes, but whenever I rac here, I don't even care looking into the mirrors, I just put all my attention on the corners, the turns, the braking points. I also try to ignore the walls, because if I focus too much on them, then I feel like an old lady on a Sunday morning. Nailing the middle part is one of the most satisfying things I've experienced in any racing game. More so in a long race with damage on.

brentech

Figured out my problem, kind of inside my last post, but verified by MetalMurphy.
I guess the game was booting Logitech Profiler and that was stealing the focus, never giving it back.
Logitech Profiler just needed started before the game ever launches and that solves it. Pretty simple, but also pretty dumb.

Linius

I just did Sonoma Raceway for the first time during an invitational event. After winning the Kart One Cup season I did the Focus Cup there. Finished 12/20
dt8VE4X.png

That Focus was hard to drive I must say. Anyways, on to the Super Karts now. Looking forward to being in an actual car after that. Having the time to qualify with the Super Karts is already a nice upgrade by the way. I don't know any of these kart tracks and without the perfect line on the track it's quite hard sometimes if you don't have the chance to get to know the track.

The Glencairn track got some nasty bits by the way. Right after you cross the finish line the track goes rather straight ahead with some light corners. But these little bumps/hills in the road make your kart spin around in circles if you don't slow down :p

Arafo

Welp. Game doesn't want to work for me. Just keeps minimizing after showing a fraction of a second of the dev logo. Launch options don't seem to be having any effect as it also loads full screen.

I even disabled my secondary monitors and the same exact problem. Only thing I can think of is that the game makes a 'device unplugged' noise when the game minimizes, and that seems to be in conjunction with Logitech Gaming Software for the profiler. I want to uninstall it, but afraid the game is dependent on it i some dumb fashion.

It's a logitech profiler (and/or SMS engine) fault. A workaroud if you don't want to uninstall the profiler is rename the exe (LWEMon.exe) to another name. This will prevent it from starting when you launch the game.

brentech

It's a logitech profiler (and/or SMS engine) fault. A workaroud if you don't want to uninstall the profiler is rename the exe (LWEMon.exe) to another name. This will prevent it from starting when you launch the game.

I do like this solution, as to not bother with the Profiler. thanks

dano1

A Sheep
There are some big difference of opinions on this game!
Very weird.. I've played every racing game I can think of. Report on Tuesday.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I'm playing the X1 version with a pad and no assist, it's really rough. Won 2 kart titles and various races so far but it still feels like a constant struggle with how twitchy the game is. It really doesn't feel right and I can't say i'm enjoying it.

Not only am I fighting with the twitchiness but when I finally felt like I got used to driving the Caterham, the framerate would take random nose dives at certain parts of tracks (like the last couple of corners at Snetterton) causing me to misjudge things and spin off the track.

Honestly feel like just shelving the game for now, at least until they patch it up a bit.

Over the last few pages there have been a couple of Pad settings others have found or posted their own and they make a lot of improvement.

Such as these
Steering dead zone: 0
Steering Sensitivity: 30

Throttle dead zone: 0
Throttle Sensitivity: 50

Brake dead zone: 0
Brake Sensitivity: 30

Clutch dead zone: 0
Clutch Sensitivity: 45

Speed Sensitivity: 75
Controller Filtering: 50

Force Feedback: 100
Advanced: Off

and these

Steering deadzone 6
Steering sensitivity 10
Throttle deadzone 20
Throttle sensitivity 50
Brake deadzone 10
Brake sensitivity 30
Speed sensitivity 70
Controller filtering 30
Controller input mode 2
Advanced on
steering dampening on
Visual wheel filtering off
opposite lock help off

I've tried those second ones and I really like them, although I have mastered the art of subtle movement with the analogue stick since the N64 days. Yet to try the others I listed. I'm really more interested in car set ups/tuning/tweaks now, that's when the game will come into its own.

TEH-CJ

Banned
I love this game so much but its near impossible to play with a ps4 pad. Trying to catch slides is relatively easy in real life. Next to impossible in this game.

Any recommended settings? Or should I wait for a patch?

Skyzard

Banned
I'm playing with a pad, seems okay to me. Might want to follow some guides online for pad settings like this one that actually explain what some of the stuff does, since the ui doesn't somehow, and tweak accordingly.

Only issue with the AI karting is in the rain they are insanely good, especially on azure coast, which I'm loving. Here is stage 1 with 31 ai karts at 100% but on a clear day so I survive:

-fixed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hlkqb3ESr8o 60fps should be working

Helznicht

Inside sim racing has a 32 minute video on ffb settings for this game.

Here:project CARS Force Feedback Tips PC - PS4 - XBox …: https://youtu.be/mlOdRTB4njY

Oh for fucks sake, 15+ ffb settings you have to set PER CAR, not available globally, and then you have to go through 3 menus to save those settings for that car so it saves for all tracks and not just the current one. Thats like a weekend of fiddling around in menus.

SMS, give us a global push for each setting that pushes to all cars and tracks, thanks.......

Sipheren

Banned
Oh for fucks sake, 15+ ffb settings you have to set PER CAR, not available globally, and then you have to go through 3 menus to save those settings for that car so it saves for all tracks and not just the current one. Thats like a weekend of fiddling around in menus.

SMS, give us a global push for each setting that pushes to all cars and tracks, thanks.......

2 parts here, the point of this game is bringing all the settings from pc sims to console.

From what I can see but, there are global settings in the main menu, from there you can later the settings further for each car if you need.

I'm on the TX wheel and I just turned down the global level and that was it, works fine from there.

danowat

Banned
Just reading about the known issues, the controller input bif that's been fixed and awaiting a patch, is it XB1 only? Or across the board?.

Also nice to hear the performance of the AI in the wet is receiving a reduction in a future patch.

saladine1

Just reading about the known issues, the controller input bif that's been fixed and awaiting a patch, is it XB1 only? Or across the board?.

Also nice to hear the performance of the AI in the wet is receiving a reduction in a future patch.

Where are you finding this info?

sTiTcH AU

Mount Panorama (AKA Bathurst)
This track is made in heaven. Races here are tense, yes, but whenever I rac here, I don't even care looking into the mirrors, I just put all my attention on the corners, the turns, the braking points. I also try to ignore the walls, because if I focus too much on them, then I feel like an old lady on a Sunday morning. Nailing the middle part is one of the most satisfying things I've experienced in any racing game. More so in a long race with damage on.

If you ever get a chance, goto the bathurst 1000 race. It is a great event and the track is second only to Spa.

Nhutty

As soon as older logitech wheels are supported I'll be buying this game. Until then I'll sit and watch these awesome vids :(

Top Bottom