• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Plus Extra brings 1225% more PS5 players to The Last of Us Part I

Generic

There were 1225% more PS5 players hunting down The Last of Us Part I trophies this past week after the game's surprise launch ahead of the PS Plus Extra and Premium October 2024 lineup reveal. That boost makes The Last of Us Part I's PS Plus player count the third-biggest debut on PS Plus Extra this year and one of the ten biggest games to ever hit the service.

The Last of Us Part I gained 1225% player count boost by the end of its debut week (data from the week ending Sunday, September 29, 2024) compared to the previous week. That saw Naughty Dog's PS5 remaster climb over 200 spots on the PlayStation Chart, landing at #19 after sitting at #239 one week earlier.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Celebrate The Last Of Us GIF by Naughty Dog

LectureMaster

Gold Member
Well, it certainly will attract many newcomers. But Truetrophies algorithm has been nonsense. They calculated their exaggerated numbers out of the air all the time.

how about this?

Last edited:

JaksGhost

Sony got to MS math. 1225% from 1. GENAU!
Sony isn't reporting this number though.
Using a gameplay data sample from over 3.1 million active PSN accounts (courtesy of our partnership with GameInsights, which draws the majority of its PSN data from sources beyond TrueTrophies), we've been able to track the debut player count of every new PS5 and PS4 game that arrives on PS Plus Extra.
Is reading comprehension a lost art now?

Last edited:

sono

Gold Member
When you call something part 1 folks think they aren't paying for full game, but when you give it 'free' with psn sub why not give it a shot

Last edited:

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
When you call something part 1 folks think they aren't paying for full game, but when you give it 'free' with psn sub why not give it a shot
Eh, I get what you're saying and I mostly agree. Especially with how FF7 is being handled right now. But I'm not sure it fully applies to TLoU situation.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Is this where we post engagement ring emojis and ask how many sales? It's been a while since we had one of these and I don't remember the protocol.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I’m one of them. I wasn’t buying a remake of a remaster. In all likelihood, I probably won’t even get around to it by the time they remove it from the service.

Crayon

Lol still been meaning to get around to tlou. That makes like 10 years now lol. Shockingly, I've stayed mostly blind on it because I honestly intend to play it.

Kerotan

Not surprised. It was expensive to buy and never went really cheap on sale. If you've previously double dipped you probably waited like me. I'll play this in November on my Pro.

K' Dash

Is this the “Remake”?

I’m guessing it is, cause everyone and their mother have the Remaster.

It does make sense, I didn’t want to pay $70 for a game that I’ve played several times already, but for $10? I’ll check out the new coat of paint.

Vick

Gold Member
Playing now looks so good on ps5
Yeah, it does.

J3eE2bd.png

lO4Zxoa.png

IdfwdVP.png

CsKRP4k.png

urr89WT.png

fZSvcMb.png

qaGpIFo.png

CEuNzA5.png

wiwOC9Q.png

88PBnVL.png

jRzB0cM.png

hsiLvhA.png

4bsxoNy.png

UBdwBsr.png

All from Performance Mode. Runs flawlessly too.

Great game. Deserves as many people as possible playing it.
It's my favorite software on PS5, actually. Most played and replayed too.

Some of us were discussing this just yesterday in another Thread, it's one of those ultra rare flawless gaming products for a OCD fucker like me, as someone who has TLOU as favorite game of all time (or around there) and who hated countless changes in RE4R, to give an example of a commonly welcomed Remake.
The absence of drastic changes to the core experience of what I consider to be already a perfect videogame was simply never going to be a negative for me in Part I.
As a matter of fact, considering the serious fear I carried from the moment this thing's existence was leaked about Druckmann changing/retconning things, any alteration made to TLOU deviating from reworked visuals (under total religious devotion to the original artwork), improving animation blending, improving AI and providing quality of life improvements, extras and new modes like Speed Run, was only ever going to achieve pissing off the hardcore fan that I am.

Being able to experience TLOU for the umpteenth time the way Part I came out legit brings me joy. It didn't received a botched job, or most importantly a questionable improvement with things here and there done better in the OG like basically every Remaster I've ever played, but one faithful, tasteful visual generational overhaul from the same people who made the original.

Gamers questioned the full price and that I fully understand, but also questioned its existence simply in virtue of the game already having a PS4 Remaster and this is one massively flawled point of view to me.
Because TLOU receiving a PS4 port a couple of months after its original release doesn't change the fact it's a PS3 game. And in the Console realm there's no hardware scaling graphics, there's no RT you can add back, there's no Mods improving assets or lighting or textures, there isn't even ReShade.. an old looking game is destined to stay forever an old looking game.
Doesn't matter a team of geniuses at the peak of their careers was forced to work for four years on dated, weak hardware, game was already old looking in a matter of months due to a new generation coming, presented in higher resolution and framerate on PS4 or not, TLOU was a PS3 game.

"Yeah but it's not a real Remake like RE2 and RE3"

Words Remaster and Remake are completely meaningless, fluid and interchangeable on a case-by-case basis.
When the word Remastered was started to be adopted by videogame companies at the start of the One/PS4 gen it was borrowed by the Home-Video world (which itself borrowed from the audio world).
In Home-Video at that time, Remastered simply meant bringing DVD-era Masters to full and real HD, increasing definition by scanning better sources like 35mm negatives and improving visual aspects of it, from color grading, to contrast, to black levels, and bring the whole presentation closer to the theatrical release. A Remaster never meant reshooting the movie, improving VFX, or recording new voice overs.
The Last of Us: Remastered was spot on as a classification, likely because ND as movie buffs knew what Remaster meant. It was exacltly that, increased image quality and framerate, minor visual adjustments, same assets, same game.

Fast forward a decade, Remaster has now a completely different meaning in gaming. It has become accepted rule a Remaster should change textures, models, assets, lighting, audio. In some cases, we witnessed some Remasters effectively fully Remaking the original game. What to call in this modern world a completely reworked TLOU, with new assets, new lighting, every single texture remade, new character models, entirely reworked AI translating in every encounter being different from the OG, PBR, and the countless others generational improvements it got?
The Last of Us: Deluxe Remaster? The Last of Us: Remastered Remake? The Last of Us: Part I.

i78pbex.png

qIYXeC7.png

Senza-titolo.png

Extremely glad more and more people are about to spend hours in this worthy labor of love.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Are some ppl really feeling some type of way about Sony releasing a 2 year old game on PS Plus?

Top Bottom