• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

televator

Huh really? I have a CECHA myself and a Scart/XRGB setup and found that to be better looking than the PS3 up-scaling. But I'm guessing you don't mean 240p content and are discussing 480p output.

Yeah, I'm talking about PS2 games. I haven't gotten around to testing PS1 games.

To people with experience with the PSX emulator: does the Wii Classic Controller work well with it? I have a couple of PS2 controllers floating around, but I don't have any PS2->USB adapters. I just want to make do for now.

Peltz

Can someone explain to me the PS1 backwards compatibility on the PS2 and 3. I assume it is all emulation based, is there a massive difference between the compatibility and accuracy between the two consoles?

EDIT: Okay I read back a few pages and spotted the smoothing issue on PS3, probably go with the PS2 and component cables on a CRT.
I didn't think PS2 is emulating PS1 hardware. Am I wrong?

To people with experience with the PSX emulator: does the Wii Classic Controller work well with it? I have a couple of PS2 controllers floating around, but I don't have any PS2->USB adapters. I just want to make do for now.
Wii Classic Controllers don't have buttons on the analog sticks, do they? Any game that utilizes L3 and R3 would be unplayable if that's the case.

Danneee

I didn't think PS2 is emulating PS1 hardware. Am I wrong?

Nope, they reused ps1 hardware in ps2. Iirc the sound processor in the ps2 is the ps1 CPU.

Edit: the I/O processor is the same as the ps1 cpu

Just ordered NBA Hangtime, NHL 2 on 2 and Wrestlemania Arcade and am pretty satisfied as far as Midway/arcade sports goes. Plus Return Fire and Total no 1 for some more local multiplayer goodness.

i just found this lying in a bag on my couch that i got a few months ago.

K5KhAgfh.jpg

OL9u3Bph.jpg

The hardest KOF game!!!

For the wrong reasons. I know its still played in tourneys all the time in Japan but its horribly unbalanced in arcade mode. Every AI after the first two rounds is basically an SNK boss (though I didnt have much trouble with omega rugal ironically). The only real reason to play is to appreciate the incredible arranged trax and Arashi No saxophone's debut also to see where editing came in historically.

96/97> all Kof imo (yes even more so than 98*)

Unless you're playing with friends or competitively. I'm talking arcade offerings/fun replay factor solo.

94? Your crazy. Art of fighting team is always the team where I get bodied. Now that I think about it, your right the game isnt tooo bad until you get to AOF team, even Rugal has very predictabo patterns once you realize you can crack shoot him with terry to death (since nobody as cool as the FF team right?).

Timu

94? Your crazy. Art of fighting team is always the team where I get bodied. Now that I think about it, your right the game isnt tooo bad until you get to AOF team, even Rugal has very predictabo patterns once you realize you can crack shoot him with terry to death (since nobody as cool as the FF team right?).
98 actually.=p I hope I can do 94.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I don't remember the framerate. All I can say is that it was playable cuz it was the only reason we had a multitap!

Teknoman

I'm trying to patch Policenauts, but I keep getting the error: source file too short:XD3_internal. Anyone know what thats about?

EDIT: Actually trying to use imgburn now, since thats usually the most reliable, and it doesnt seem to be able to make an iso without failing, even thought the discs are clean. AnytoIso works fine on disc 1 but fails on 2.

Unless there is someway to just create the bin/cue and then patch that?

I was at the right place and the right time today.

Guy walks into my local GameXChange with a box of games and a dreamcast which worked and had all cables/cords.

Games include:
Brave fencer musashi (I have)
Final fantasy VII (I have)
Parasite eve (I have)
Lunar (Sega CD version but I don't have a Sega CD)
Bushido blade 1
Einhander
Saga frontier.

If I got saga frontier and einhander for $45 cash was that a decent deal? I feel good about it since they are A) complete and B) in good disc condition.

I am just trying to figure out if I over paid for the base games. Like I said I liked the quality, so the price for everything else was a steal. I'm just not sure about the base games.

For the record (if you are looking) GameXChange on Winchester road in Memphis TN (should have a 24 hour hold before they can sell)

dubc35

Nice! I about did that at a store a couple months ago with someone bringing in a lot of SNES games. Unfortunately I needed to exchange a defective controller so I didn't want to poach a customer and then ask for a exchange, lol.

Einhander alone is listed at $90 at a local store to me ($200 sealed) so yeah I think you got a good deal.

How accurate is Playstation emulation on the PC? Lately I've been playing my ps1 games on a ps2 through component on my 4k TV, and I've notice some really bad dithering going on for most ps1 games. I've been thinking about switching over to my PC (it's hook up to the same TV) to play my ps1 games. That way I could try making the games look more appealing on the TV, as well as try out other features like save states, using ps3/ps4 controllers, etc. But there are some questions I would like to know the answers to, before I go to the whole process.

The first question I would like to know is will it be possible to play games from the disc, or do I have to rip them into an iso file? And if I can play from the disc, does it matter what the speed of the optical drive is? Right now I don't even have an optical drive for my PC, but I do have an BD-ROM laying around from a broken laptop. I just don't know if it still works, and I'll need to get an enclosure case for it. This might seem crazy, but I really like the idea of just picking a game from my collection & putting it in a disc drive to play it, as I would do with a Playstation console itself.

One main issue I know I will have to face is that I will most likely not be able to use my saves from my ps1 memory cards. Unless, there's some easy solution of transferring memory cards saves to the PC? Thankfully though, most of my saves are for games that I've either already completed or haven't gotten that far into.

As for my last couple of questions, I should be able to play imported disc games through emulation correct? If so, that would be great news since I've been thinking about buying some EUR & JP region exclusive games for quite some time now. Which leads to my question on translations. Is it simple enough (or even possible) to just download a translation file, and play a Japanese disc game translated to English?

I greatly appreciate anyone willing to help answer any of the above questions.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
How accurate is Playstation emulation on the PC? Lately I've been playing my ps1 games on a ps2 through component on my 4k TV, and I've notice some really bad dithering going on for most ps1 games. I've been thinking about switching over to my PC (it's hook up to the same TV) to play my ps1 games. That way I could try making the games look more appealing on the TV, as well as try out other features like save states, using ps3/ps4 controllers, etc. But there are some questions I would like to know the answers to, before I go to the whole process.

The first question I would like to know is will it be possible to play games from the disc, or do I have to rip them into an iso file? And if I can play from the disc, does it matter what the speed of the optical drive is? Right now I don't even have an optical drive for my PC, but I do have an BD-ROM laying around from a broken laptop. I just don't know if it still works, and I'll need to get an enclosure case for it. This might seem crazy, but I really like the idea of just picking a game from my collection & putting it in a disc drive to play it, as I would do with a Playstation console itself.

One main issue I know I will have to face is that I will most likely not be able to use my saves from my ps1 memory cards. Unless, there's some easy solution of transferring memory cards saves to the PC? Thankfully though, most of my saves are for games that I've either already completed or haven't gotten that far into.

As for my last couple of questions, I should be able to play imported disc games through emulation correct? If so, that would be great news since I've been thinking about buying some EUR & JP region exclusive games for quite some time now. Which leads to my question on translations. Is it simple enough (or even possible) to just download a translation file, and play a Japanese disc game translated to English?

I greatly appreciate anyone willing to help answer any of the above questions.

1) You can definitely play games off the disc -- you don't have to rip them as ISOs.

2) Not sure about the saves. I mean, the DexDrive, from way back in the day, would've let you move saves from your memory card to a PC, but maybe there's something newer out there.

3) Yes, you can play imported games on an emulator.

As for how PS1 emulation is... could be wrong, since it's been a while since I've bothered, but I think it's pretty good. There's definitely still some kinks, but it's good enough in most cases. I'd never bother with it if I had real hardware to use instead, though.

alf717

You can transfer your saved games to a usb device with a PS2 that can do homebrew using ulaunchelf. I don't know if the transfers are 1:1 for emulation use though. I'll give it a try and let you know.

Got it working!

You need a PS2 that can run homebrew and then from there launch an app named Memory Card Annihilator v2.0 this will dump you memory card to .mcr format. From that dump you can convert the card info to almost any format using Memory converter.

Khaz

1) You can definitely play games off the disc -- you don't have to rip them as ISOs.

Access times can be hit or miss though. While the console drive keeps spinning, the PC drive stops after not sending data for a few seconds. A subsequent disc access means an additional down time while the drive is spinning back up. It can be annoying when a game streams data from the disc for seamless loading. Not PS1, but Rez on the PS2 has its music stutter a lot because of that. Using a disc image instead bypass the problem. On the other hand, a PC drive is much faster when spinning, so long loading times can be significantly shortened.

Since I got a CRT this summer I've been playing a lot of my own PS1 games again. Doing so with a PS2 and a RGB cable. Sharp and nice picture and all. However, the other day I experimented around with the PS2's smoothing option for both Resi Evil 2 and Rage Racer. RE2 looked good with it, but it's mainly static images anyhow. Rage though looked nasty dithered, booting up a few other fully 3D games confirmed this further (WipEout 3 and Dino Crisis) I decided to give the filter up.

But my now accustomed eyes see the dithering still. Screw that and I brought out my old PS1, exact same cable and the dithering is gone. Fuck PS2 for PS1 gaming then! I'm done with it, except maybe the RE games!

I went ahead and ordered an enclosure case for my BD-ROM drive, and I should get it this coming Wednesday. Hopefully the drive will work & play ps1 games without any issue.

As for how PS1 emulation is... could be wrong, since it's been a while since I've bothered, but I think it's pretty good. There's definitely still some kinks, but it's good enough in most cases. I'd never bother with it if I had real hardware to use instead, though.

I understand what you mean, but it's not like I'm planning on getting rid of any of my Playstation systems. :)
I just like the idea of being able to play ps1 games with nicer visuals on my TV. Besides, I still have another ps2 hooked up to a smaller CRT that is used mainly for light gun gaming.

You can transfer your saved games to a usb device with a PS2 that can do homebrew using ulaunchelf. I don't know if the transfers are 1:1 for emulation use though. I'll give it a try and let you know.

Got it working!

You need a PS2 that can run homebrew and then from there launch an app named Memory Card Annihilator v2.0 this will dump you memory card to .mcr format. From that dump you can convert the card info to almost any format using Memory converter.

Wow, I didn't even know this was a thing! After I read your post, I've been researching on what is the best/easiest way to softmod a ps2. Sadly I don't have any of the software that's required to install FMCB, nor do I have the recommended game for the swap trick (Funny thing is, this past weekend I did pickup a CIB 007 game for a dollar at a pawn shop; but it was Nightfire & not Agent Under Fire).

However I did find out that it's possible to buy a memory card with FMCB already installed. So I also went ahead & bought one for what I feel was a reasonable price. Now I don't have to worry about losing access to my saves off my memory cards. And better yet, whenever I'll decide to play on real hardware, I can transfer my saves back to my memory cards. Thank you everyone, for all the help.

Since I got a CRT this summer I've been playing a lot of my own PS1 games again. Doing so with a PS2 and a RGB cable. Sharp and nice picture and all. However, the other day I experimented around with the PS2's smoothing option for both Resi Evil 2 and Rage Racer. RE2 looked good with it, but it's mainly static images anyhow. Rage though looked nasty dithered, booting up a few other fully 3D games confirmed this further (WipEout 3 and Dino Crisis) I decided to give the filter up.

But my now accustomed eyes see the dithering still. Screw that and I brought out my old PS1, exact same cable and the dithering is gone. Fuck PS2 for PS1 gaming then! I'm done with it, except maybe the RE games!

Hey ResidentDante, can you take a few pics: with and without dithering of the same game screen, A" and B" ing the ps1 and ps2?

i have a CRT set up using ps2 using component to my Sony BVM CRT. since i already had the component cables and didn't bother getting RGB. I have a ps1 but it can't do over component. i didn't know if it was worth getting RGB cable for ps1, since i had my ps2 already hooked up.

the rest of my systems: genesis, snes are hooked up RGB via scart cables.

i was thinking of getting RGB cables in the future for the ps1 but didn't know the difference and was curious what it looks like via RGB ps1 vs. ps2

Hey ResidentDante, can you take a few pics: with and without dithering of the same game screen, A" and B" ing the ps1 and ps2?

i have a CRT set up using ps2 using component to my Sony BVM CRT. since i already had the component cables and didn't bother getting RGB. I have a ps1 but it can't do over component. i didn't know if it was worth getting RGB cable for ps1, since i had my ps2 already hooked up.

the rest of my systems: genesis, snes are hooked up RGB via scart cables.

i was thinking of getting RGB cables in the future for the ps1 but didn't know the difference and was curious what it looks like via RGB ps1 vs. ps2

I can see if I can get some pics of it, it's most noticeable when the game is moving. I noticed it on the tarmac infront of my car in Rage Racer the most.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I have an ntsc PS1 that is region-free (as well as a ton of pal-ones), and yesterday I tried to fire up the Pal-version of Silent Hill on it. While it worked, the title screen had some really nasty shaking - in-game it was fine though. Anybody knows what causes this? Tested a Pal Strider 2 as well, and that had no issues. I use rgb into Framemeister.

Pal on ntsc and vice versa is rarely perfect.

About RGB on ps1 vs ps2, outside of a few games with compatibility issues (mostly trash but a few goodies have issues) you certainly should not be noticing any difference. If you are, it's probably a cable issue. Checkerboards can be a result of using a composite video for sync cable, for example.

About RGB on ps1 vs ps2, outside of a few games with compatibility issues (mostly trash but a few goodies have issues) you certainly should not be noticing any difference. If you are, it's probably a cable issue. Checkerboards can be a result of using a composite video for sync cable, for example.

I definitely seeing some vertical ugly lines that are only present on my PS2, same RGB cable and CRT monitor being used on both.

Zoom in on my pics to check them out:

PS1:
photo23-08-16204817l0jzd.jpg

PS2:
photo23-08-16205107azj0n.jpg

Here are two more close up:
PS1:
photo23-08-162048137hup6.jpg

PS2:
photo23-08-16205102jhupk.jpg

I have never seen that. Might be an issue with the ps2. Does it occur on all titles?
It's there on Dino Crisis too, so yes. It's present even when I stop the car to a complete stand still, though it's most obvious and annoying in motion.

I will try and test it out with a PS2 phat, as this test was done with my slim.
Are both using RGB SCART?
Exact same cable, TV and RGB scart input on the TV.

televator

From my experience, PS2 does have some of the most heavy handed dithering I've seen, but I never expected it to just trash up PS1 game visuals too. Damn.

It's there on Dino Crisis too, so yes. It's present even when I stop the car to a complete stand still, though it's most obvious and annoying in motion.

I will try and test it out with a.PS2 phat, as this test was done with my slim.

Exact same cable, TV and RGB scart input on the TV.

thanks for the A and B's =)

From my experience, PS2 does have some of the most heavy handed dithering I've seen, but I never expected it to just trash up PS1 game visuals too. Damn.

Yeah, the PS2 game dithering is sort of something you're used to and stuck with, but adding dithering to PS1 games, which can be played on another console anyhow, kind of makes it suck.

thanks for the A and B's =)

Glad to help, even though my pics were not the best! I'll report back once I've tested the PS2 phat, though I don't think I'll have time these next couple of days!

Cedric

Was throwing out cases such a common thing to do back in the PS1 era? I get that people would throw away SNES and N64 cases, they were boxes and kinda large, but I never understood throwing away the CD cases. What's even weirder is that N64 and SNES cartridges still go for a lot of money without their cases, while PS1 CDs are basically unsellable. Someone not too far away from where I live has Wild Arms 2, Arc the Lad, Suikoden & Grandia all 10$ a piece loose but I can't bring myself to buy them.

Top Bottom