• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Beat Silent Hill. Really appreciate the fact that there was only 1 or 2 jump scares in the whole game. The scariest part about it was the audio, really.

I think they're both scary enough to be horror games for me, but for different reasons. Resident Evil creates dread through mechanics (semi-randomised damage and non-specific health states mean you never quite know if you'll be able to take one more hit, or if you'll be able to take down an enemy with the bullets you have left) whereas Silent Hill is masterful with it's use of audio and atmosphere to evoke terror.

They're both wonderful, though i think SH holds up a little better than the PS1 RE these days.

thomasos

My 3 year journey is over. I have finished collecting my favorite 100 games on the original Playstation. I wanted to make sure all games were complete, black label, and in minty condition. Everything that originally came with these is here (collectibles/maps/demos/etc). Very excited to share.

I included a couple of signed items related to the system. Not pictured are any guides/memorabilia/systems/accessories. Hope you guys enjoy!

Parappa the Rapper print signed by Rodney Greenblat (artist on the game).

Blood Omen poster signed by Amy Hennig (Legacy of Kain director), Simon Templeman (Voice of Kain), and Michael Bell (Voice of Raziel).

That's awesome; congratulations! It's difficult to tell from the photo, but were you able to find a Resident Evil long box without the sides peeling? I've been looking for one of those for ages!

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Blood Omen poster signed by Amy Hennig (Legacy of Kain director), Simon Templeman (Voice of Kain), and Michael Bell (Voice of Raziel).
B3E7C35A-6934-4242-BD0C-5FDBBEAC4311_zpsbmdvbysc.jpg
OMG so jealous of you right now

Sub_Level

A couple hours into Vagrant Story now. It's so over-the-top with the amount of game mechanics that I'm starting to think it's a satire. Trying to remember, so far I have been introduced to

- Hitting different enemy parts
- Enemies hitting you in different parts which affects you in different ways
- Weapons are a combination of blades and grips
- Combinations can be combined with other combinations to form a new blade which must then be put on a grip
- Similarly, armor can be combined
- Similarly, shields can be combined
- Weapons can be equipped with gems that act like accessories. This is not to be confused with your actual accessory clothing article
- Workshops let you craft these weapons but workshops are limited in what materials they let you play around with
- Weapons have classes that I think determine what enemies you beat easier than others
- Weapons have affinities that apparently change with use
- Weapons do different types of damage (i.e. blunt vs slash)
- Weapons have durability that runs out with use
- Weapons have phantom points that accumulate with use
- Armor and shields have all of the above except phantom points.
- Your attacks can be set with attack chains for followup attacks that give you different bonuses
- When you get attacked you can set defense chains for hitting a button at a certain time to give you different bonuses
- In battle you can use grimoires to learn spells. Spells are allocated across 3 or 4 different sub-menus you access through controller shortcut
- During combat your risk level rises. Risk can be dangerous but also raises your chance of critical attack
- You can perform special break arts moves with classes of weapons you specialized in.
- Grips must correspond to the type of blade you put it in.

I'm just gonna hit stuff and heal when low on health.

Psxdad

That's awesome; congratulations! It's difficult to tell from the photo, but were you able to find a Resident Evil long box without the sides peeling? I've been looking for one of those for ages!
No sides peeling thank goodness. Got the long box a few years ago.

Psxdad

OMG so jealous of you right now
I have actually corresponded with Amy since her Soul Reaver days. Very nice and lives in same neighborhood as Simon. She also got the same three sigs on Soul Reaver 2 and had Nolan North and Emily Rose from Uncharted sign a replica journal from the first game. I believe she sent me a Raziel watch back in the day. Point being she is super generous!

The one time I fired up Vagrant Story I played around 30 minutes and realized I wasn't mentally prepared to play that game.

It is crazy complex and has a really good story on top of that. I remember getting all the way to the forest and getting the greatsword dropped by the boss there before things started to click for me and I was able to do more then tiny damage to things.

I have actually corresponded with Amy since her Soul Reaver days. Very nice and lives in same neighborhood as Simon. She also got the same three sigs on Soul Reaver 2 and had Nolan North and Emily Rose from Uncharted sign a replica journal from the first game. I believe she sent me a Raziel watch back in the day. Point being she is super generous!

So god damn jelly. I can not wait until the game she is working on now comes out even if I haven't played a Star Wars game in forever.

Bumhead

Banned
Has anyone got any tips on cleaning up PS1 boxes? I mean, is there a way other than just literally scrubbing them to remove scuff marks etc?

Wish we used standard dual cases like NTSC. The PAL PS1 boxes damage easily and aren't readily replaceable. Condition of cases is easily the biggest problem I have with starting my collection right now.

Psxdad

Has anyone got any tips on cleaning up PS1 boxes? I mean, is there a way other than just literally scrubbing them to remove scuff marks etc?

Wish we used standard dual cases like NTSC. The PAL PS1 boxes damage easily and aren't readily replaceable. Condition of cases is easily the biggest problem I have with starting my collection right now.

Either a plastic polish (like Novus 2 or 3) or car wax works well.

Def Jukie

My 3 year journey is over. I have finished collecting my favorite 100 games on the original Playstation. I wanted to make sure all games were complete, black label, and in minty condition. Everything that originally came with these is here (collectibles/maps/demos/etc). Very excited to share.

I included a couple of signed items related to the system. Not pictured are any guides/memorabilia/systems/accessories. Hope you guys enjoy!

Parappa the Rapper print signed by Rodney Greenblat (artist on the game).

Very nice collection! Where did you get the Blood Omen poster? I'm seriously jealous.

alf717

Just picked up Misadventures of Tron Bonne on PSN because of a $2.00 sale. Anyone else play through this and have any thoughts or impressions?

I went through the game way back when it came out. Everything is pretty straight forward. You don't have a map to traverse you just pick where you want to go and take on the missions. From what I remember the missions are a variety of different play styles like dungeon exploring and puzzle solving. The game offers tons to do if your are looking to complete it 100%. I found the serv bot mini games to be really fun to play.

Mzo

Just picked up Misadventures of Tron Bonne on PSN because of a $2.00 sale. Anyone else play through this and have any thoughts or impressions?

It's really fun. My tips for the mini games would be:

Shoot between targets to hit multiple ones in a clockwise pattern a few dummies behind the servbot that picks them up again.

Save your stat upgrade items for the sevrbots that can get the cooking game to max level. That's the only one that's kind of tough to do. You won't get enough for all of them, but it'll help.

I gotta spend a few days cat-sitting so I'm bringing my PS1 to play an rpg I've yet to play in my backlog and I'm looking for recommendations.

Azure Dreams
Dragon Warrior 7
Kartia
Koudelka
Legend of Legaia
Lunar Silver Star Story
Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure
Star Ocean Second Story
Tales of Destiny 2
Threads of Fate
Vagrant Story
Vandal Hearts 2
Xenogears

Any suggestions?

ScOULaris

I gotta spend a few days cat-sitting so I'm bringing my PS1 to play an rpg I've yet to play in my backlog and I'm looking for recommendations.

Azure Dreams
Dragon Warrior 7
Kartia
Koudelka
Legend of Legaia
Lunar Silver Star Story
Star Ocean Second Story
Tales of Destiny 2
Threads of Fate
Vagrant Story
Vandal Hearts 2
Xenogears

Any suggestions?
Vagrant Story is the best game on that list.

cj_iwakura

Azure Dreams
Dragon Warrior 7
Kartia
Koudelka
Legend of Legaia
Lunar Silver Star Story
Star Ocean Second Story
Tales of Destiny 2
Threads of Fate
Vagrant Story
Vandal Hearts 2
Xenogears

Any suggestions?

You could be done with Rhapsody before you go to sleep. Fantastic game, wonderful dub(and singing!).

cj_iwakura

VS is an extremely frustrating game, but it's one of those that when it clicks, it's beautiful. Learn weapon affinities and what to target, and the game becomes a joy.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I didn't like Vagrant Story the first time I tried it. I rebought it a little while back, though, and I'm gonna give it another chance. I feel like that thing is actually probably great, and it was me that was wrong.

I didn't like Vagrant Story the first time I tried it. I rebought it a little while back, though, and I'm gonna give it another chance. I feel like that thing is actually probably great, and it was me that was wrong.

It is pretty great in a lot of ways, but those ways may not work well together. Such as; the story is amazing in it, but if you are really into min maxing your character or trying to get a full grip on the weapons and leveling you will have a ton of downtime between story segments upgrading shit.

Sub_Level

I thought Silent Hill was the most unnerving PS1 game, but I don't even know if I want to continue with Alien Resurrection. It's too spooky.

I thought Silent Hill was the most unnerving PS1 game, but I don't even know if I want to continue with Alien Resurrection. It's too spooky.

I want to try out Alien Resurrection, but I see it's price creeping up. I find Silent Hill unnerving and disturbing to this day. It's primitive visuals only barely represent what they're supposed to, leaving your imagination to fill in the rest. The low quality and raw, grindhouse like visual flair make it a game that's just downright unsettling. To me, at least.

Bumhead

Banned

Hmm.

Given that Alien Isolation is my GOTG so far, I think I need to make Alien Resurrection a priority for my PS1 collection.

Sub_Level

It's no slouch in the difficulty department either so I recommend playing on Easy.

And don't feel bad about turning the brightness up a little bit. Some of you have played games where flashlights work for just a little bit, but Alien Resurrection takes it to a whole new level. Its battery seriously lasts like 10 seconds.

Oh and cool detail: when you get impregnated by facehuggers, warrior drones are less aggressive to you. Some still attack you, but others go idle.

CountZeroOr

Neo Member
Well, I'd been collecting JRPGs for the PS1, and I've finally started to branch out into non-RPGs by picking up Colony Wars. I've never played the game before, but I remember hearing good things about it at the time, so I'm looking forward to giving it a shot.

Sub_Level

Just beat Resident Evil 2. This game was good but short as hell. But I know it's meant to be replayed, so that's exactly what I'll do.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Just beat Resident Evil 2. This game was good but short as hell. But I know it's meant to be replayed, so that's exactly what I'll do.
Did you play just LeonA or ClaireA?

It really is just half of the game. Like beating just the first castle in SotN or whatever.

Can someone explain to me the PS1 backwards compatibility on the PS2 and 3. I assume it is all emulation based, is there a massive difference between the compatibility and accuracy between the two consoles?

EDIT: Okay I read back a few pages and spotted the smoothing issue on PS3, probably go with the PS2 and component cables on a CRT.

ascii42

Can someone explain to me the PS1 backwards compatibility on the PS2 and 3. I assume it is all emulation based, is there a massive difference between the compatibility and accuracy between the two consoles?

EDIT: Okay I read back a few pages and spotted the smoothing issue on PS3, probably go with the PS2 and component cables on a CRT.

The PS2 (the original fat one at least) has PS1 hardware built in. Also acts as the I/O controller for PS2 games.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

I don't know if these issues are specific to the PS2 slim (I'm assuming they are), but I've run into a number of sound glitches with games like Fear Effect and Soul of the Samurai.

televator

The smoothing issue affected digital downloads. Also, I don't think anyone's tested a PS3 with PS2 hardware built in.

I did test a real PS2 Vs a PS3 CECHA running PS2 games and found the PS3 to be superior @ 480p + smoothing off.

The smoothing issue affected digital downloads. Also, I don't think anyone's tested a PS3 with PS2 hardware built in.

I did test a real PS2 Vs a PS3 CECHA running PS2 games and found the PS3 to be superior @ 480p + smoothing off.

Huh really? I have a CECHA myself and a Scart/XRGB setup and found that to be better looking than the PS3 up-scaling. But I'm guessing you don't mean 240p content and are discussing 480p output.

Top Bottom