• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

That's it!

Man, G-Police kinda sucks, but it's Psygnosis so I still like it more than I should.
Those two are quite different games, overhead view v. in the cockpit, but they are both sci-fi vehicular combat games, sure.

G-Police is a game I got back in the '90s but never liked enough to play much of at all, but Future Cop is great! I've always really liked that game... now, I've only ever played either one on the PC, but the PS1 versions look similar just with lower-rez graphics. I'd like to get the PS1 version of Future Cop sometime, I'm sure it's great.

Capra

So I got a ps2 a few months ago and I just found out Square Enix started reprinting some of their ps1 greatest hits games. I want to get Chrono Cross, but I'm not sure about backwards compatibility. If I just get the game along with a Hyperkin ps1 card, will I be good? The compatibility lists I've found haven't mentioned CC as being a problem, but I figured I'd post here to be sure.

Model no. is SCPH-79001.

Rongolian

Banned
So I got a ps2 a few months ago and I just found out Square Enix started reprinting some of their ps1 greatest hits games. I want to get Chrono Cross, but I'm not sure about backwards compatibility. If I just get the game along with a Hyperkin ps1 card, will I be good? The compatibility lists I've found haven't mentioned CC as being a problem, but I figured I'd post here to be sure.

Model no. is SCPH-79001.

I think you'll be fine here, I've found this compatability list to be pretty accurate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_games_incompatible_with_PlayStation_2

Also, huge note about 3rd party memory cards, I'd avoid them all together. Stick with first party ones. It's basically an inevitability that your save will be lost and that's the worst thing ever.

I got mine for free from an internet friend 10 years ago. It has a rental sticker around the spindle and the back cover is a reprint, but I'm so grateful.

I just spent a ass load on Einhander. What have I done?? Actually hyped since this was one of the few AAA games I didnt play back in the day.

One of the few good deals I can actually claim. I think I spent maybe $15 or $20 at a local retro store that long ago went out of business. Probably bought it when I was getting back into gaming around 2002 or 2003. Mint condition. I remember thinking it was a pretty good deal even at that time.

Fox Mulder

Why do any ebay sellers mail things in envelopes?

Bought a multi disk game and of course it's all busted due to zero padding. Sigh.

not so bad for games in dvd cases like PS2/PSP/modern games. For PS1, Saturn, etc. it's a bummer. Not quite as bad as cardboard boxes, though. They get destroyed in those envelopes.

D.Lo

Why do any ebay sellers mail things in envelopes?

Bought a multi disk game and of course it's all busted due to zero padding. Sigh.
I've had USA muppets send good condition boxed NES game unpadded across the world to Australia. Winds up destroyed.
"Check out this hidden gem. I'll talk about it but its very obvious I know nothing about it and haven't played it. Enjoy this footage recorded over composite"
Lol.

XNarte

Hey guys, I am currently going for a full PlayStation NA set and am documenting my progress on YouTube. I'm just over 400 games in the present time (but the latest published episode covers up to 333 games). It's a work in progress but I'm having fun focusing on what is probably my favorite console. I apologize ahead of time for the quick and dirty backdrop as my game room is torn up while I sell most of the rest of my collection, but thought some here might be interested!

PlayStation Pursuit

Bii

Hey guys, I am currently going for a full PlayStation NA set and am documenting my progress on YouTube. I'm just over 400 games in the present time (but the latest published episode covers up to 333 games). It's a work in progress but I'm having fun focusing on what is probably my favorite console. I apologize ahead of time for the quick and dirty backdrop as my game room is torn up while I sell most of the rest of my collection, but thought some here might be interested!

PlayStation Pursuit

Neat. Will watch.

What list are you using as a checkoff list?

XNarte

Neat. Will watch.

What list are you using as a checkoff list?

Oh boy, well it took a while to find a list I was happy with, because some counted variants as separate games, and some counted imports, so the list is kind of a work in progress, and I am basically counting 1 copy as one game, so whether it is a greatest hits, long box, jewel case, etc, I count it as 1 game.

That being said, I am looking out for all variants as well. I made the list into a Google Sheet so I can update it as I go and use formulas, export as an excel file if need be, etc.

I am only collecting complete copies of games, and the list I have currently says 1289 total, but I've heard 1302 from another person collecting, so instead of counting down, I'm counting up.

Noahd41

Neo Member
I beat Uncharted 4 last week so I had to hook up my PS2 for some original Crash Bandicoot.

I'm glad to be back in the mix. I'm gonna keep it hooked up and mash through a few games I'm the near future that I never beat. It is such a different world coming at these games in the YouTube/Internet era.

I'm currently working on Crash 2 and Legacy of Kain. Gonna put an order in for a few common games that I'm missing and keep an eye out locally for more than just Genesis stuff.

I'm only at about 75 PS1 titles right now.

IrishNinja

yeah, my college roommate adored G-police, saw a lot of that game

"Check out this hidden gem. I'll talk about it but its very obvious I know nothing about it and haven't played it. Enjoy this footage recorded over composite"

"also, on the nicer footage? try to ignore mark from CGR's hands"

zMiiChy-

Banned
The game is a child like Ninja game that I played on a demo disc.

The demo started out on a setting that resembled a beach

It was a 3D game - I can't remember much else about it.

I had to sell a bunch of my high priced ps1 games earlier this year because of some unexpected expenses.

Tron bonne, mega man legends 2, suikoden 2, einhander, strikers 1945, d, xcom, kings field, lunar 2, silent bomber( which seems to be way down in price since I sold mine), and a few others.

I don't really regret it too much since I can at quite a few on my Vita, or I would never have played them at all.

I still have thunder force 5, ghost in the shell, in the hunt ( which seems prime for a big price jump if some YouTube channel would feature it), and lots more.

I've been really enjoying emulation more now that crt shaders are so good and ps1 emulation is getting better on pc. I just don't like having to even handle these old discs and I feel like playing disc based games puts more wear on them.

I had to sell a bunch of my high priced ps1 games earlier this year because of some unexpected expenses.

Tron bonne, mega man legends 2, suikoden 2, einhander, strikers 1945, d, xcom, kings field, lunar 2, silent bomber( which seems to be way down in price since I sold mine), and a few others.

I don't really regret it too much since I can at quite a few on my Vita, or I would never have played them at all.

I still have thunder force 5, ghost in the shell, in the hunt ( which seems prime for a big price jump if some YouTube channel would feature it), and lots more.

I've been really enjoying emulation more now that crt shaders are so good and ps1 emulation is getting better on pc. I just don't like having to even handle these old discs and I feel like playing disc based games puts more wear on them.

Ghost in the shell is such an under played title. Really fantastic game.

psylah

Something I've always wondered:

sony-playstation-1-adapter-multitap-multiplayer-controllers-fun-ps1-scph-1070-71db67fa1eba933b7337492107e291b1.jpg

The multitap, it only plugs into the controller port, but there are spaces for 4 memory cards, one for each controller port.

It clearly passes memory data through the controller port. Was the PS1 designed to use controllers with built-in memory, but switched to card-based memory late in development?

Something I've always wondered:

sony-playstation-1-adapter-multitap-multiplayer-controllers-fun-ps1-scph-1070-71db67fa1eba933b7337492107e291b1.jpg

The multitap, it only plugs into the controller port, but there are spaces for 4 memory cards, one for each controller port.

It clearly passes memory data through the controller port. Was the PS1 designed to use controllers with built-in memory, but switched to card-based memory late in development?

I believe those memory card slots are just for storing your memory card you bring along. Don't know if any multiplayer games stored anything else than on the memory card in slot 1, don't think there were games that stored various info onto all those cards.

I always thought the multitap plugged into both. I guess that's just PS2?

That's the PS2 multitap.

10998-200781512730926sds02.jpg

there are multiple models iirc

There are two models of the multitap for PS1, one for the old gray model and one for the small white PSone:

multitap_01.jpg

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Is there an easy solution to the disc reading problems that plagues so many PS1-machines? Tried some games yesterday, and while they do work, it takes a long time, and it seems like the machine is struggling to read them - so would be nice to help it out a bit. Of course everything worked fine as soon as i flipped the machine over, but i kinda dont want to do that constantly.

alf717

The lasers are a pain to repair and adjust. You could try this. It only applies to 100X units with plastic laser units (KSM-440AAM). Replacement units seem to be bad and are very hit and miss even a working one could sound like it is struggling to read discs. Sourcing a KSM-440BAM from a PSOne is your best bet as those are the best laser units. They fit nice in 100X units, just need to replace the lid, but anything higher will need an extension cable.

Vespa

The lasers are a pain to repair and adjust. You could try this. It only applies to 100X units with plastic laser units (KSM-440AAM). Replacement units seem to be bad and are very hit and miss even a working one could sound like it is struggling to read discs. Sourcing a KSM-440BAM from a PSOne is your best bet as those are the best laser units. They fit nice in 100X units, just need to replace the lid, but anything higher will need an extension cable.

Oh that's cool, did not know you could use a PSOne laser unit on a PSX.

I picked up a Japanese PSX the other day and of course had a complete brain leak and plugged it into socket without a step down or doing a psu swap. There was a loud pop followed by white smoke wafting out the side vents, such an idiot. Luckily the PSX still worked after swapping in a PAL psu.

Also bought a scph 5502 to replace my scph 1002 series since I'd like one with a more durable laser.

Jeiiya

When I first popped in Threads of Fate I was like, "Oh man, these horrible polygons don't need to get any better!" and, oh boy, was I wrong. That said, the game still looks great!

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace

Sucks to hear, but thanks! I actually own a PSOne that reads disc perfectly, but wanted to get my original to work since that have extension port for the game enhancer (and thus region-free gaming). Will try this out!

Psxdad

My 3 year journey is over. I have finished collecting my favorite 100 games on the original Playstation. I wanted to make sure all games were complete, black label, and in minty condition. Everything that originally came with these is here (collectibles/maps/demos/etc). Very excited to share.

I included a couple of signed items related to the system. Not pictured are any guides/memorabilia/systems/accessories. Hope you guys enjoy!

Parappa the Rapper print signed by Rodney Greenblat (artist on the game).

Blood Omen poster signed by Amy Hennig (Legacy of Kain director), Simon Templeman (Voice of Kain), and Michael Bell (Voice of Raziel).

ScOULaris

^^

Damn, excellent collection you've got there. That Parappa Town poster is awesome, and your Top 100 consists of all solid choices.

Rongolian

Banned
My 3 year journey is over. I have finished collecting my favorite 100 games on the original Playstation. I wanted to make sure all games were complete, black label, and in minty condition. Everything that originally came with these is here (collectibles/maps/demos/etc). Very excited to share.

I included a couple of signed items related to the system. Not pictured are any guides/memorabilia/systems/accessories. Hope you guys enjoy!

Parappa the Rapper print signed by Rodney Greenblat (artist on the game).

Blood Omen poster signed by Amy Hennig (Legacy of Kain director), Simon Templeman (Voice of Kain), and Michael Bell (Voice of Raziel).

You picked a great time to get most of your collection, prices on these games are taking off. Klonoa and Valkyrie Profile prices are reaching ridiculousness!

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Playing Silent Hill for the first time. A few hours in. This console continues to impress. Aside from having to reload in a menu, I actually find it to have very intuitive controls and camera. The button that controls the camera is great because you can move and attack during it.

Only the first two Tomb Raider games. A wise choice. TR3 isn't bad but man it gets pretty rough. And the PS1 version is soooo dark.

Bumhead

Banned
Decided to finally begin work on my PS1 collection.

My Mum bought me a PS1 last Christmas as a bit of a nostalgia filled gift after listening to me reminisce like crazy during the 20th anniversary year. My actual own PS1 collection has been lost to time and house moves long ago, so I want to begin the process of rebuilding it and maybe also pick up some games I've never played before. I've not started actually taking it seriously until now, where I've just moved in with my new girlfriend and brought the PS1 with me.. sat right there alongside my PS4 under the TV. Time to get serious.

The market for the games though seems to have really ballooned. I've set myself a monthly figure on how much I actually want to spend on achieving this and.. I'm going to have to break that for some of the games even individually. The Crash Bandicoot games especially have gone NUTS. I'll be paying more for those than I've been spending on PS4 games recently.

The PS1 my Mum picked up came with Sim City 2000, and I've just bought Dino Crisis, GTA London and Formula 1 off eBay. I'm only seeking out black label copies, so no Platinum's, and in complete condition with as few cracks or scratches on the cases as possible.

Excited as hell!

Top Bottom