• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

cj_iwakura

Wow, I have ToD 1 and had no idea it was worth that much. I should hurry up and play it so I can cash in. :p Unless it turns out really good. Grabbed it when the PS1 ship was sinking.

Zing

Banned
Well, I found a handful of PSM scans on emu paradise. I'm reading rough those now.

I just got "hand dan" ability in MediEvil II. Now to go back and replay levels that had the hands.

Wife had a business thing out of town I went with her to tonight so I could do some hunting:

UqpxNIJ.jpg

Has Vagrant Story dropped in value in recent years? I used to own it and sold it at some point 'cause it was just sitting in my closet and I thought it was worth a decent chunk of change back then.

And, why the fuck does Contra have two manuals with it:

So, it's pointlessly in a double sized case even though it's only one disc.

Wife had a business thing out of town I went with her to tonight so I could do some hunting:

Has Vagrant Story dropped in value in recent years? I used to own it and sold it at some point 'cause it was just sitting in my closet and I thought it was worth a decent chunk of change back then.

And, why the fuck does Contra have two manuals with it:

So, it's pointlessly in a double sized case even though it's only one disc.

I'm continually impressed with your finds! My store doesn't get as many PS1 games as I'd like, but we make up for it in rare PS2 stuff.

And yeah, Vagrant Story's one of the games that has dropped in the past few years along with Valkyrie Profile and Xenogears (although VP is starting to get back to where it was back in '08). Vagrant Story used to be in the $30ish range, IIRC.

I'm continually impressed with your finds! My store doesn't get as many PS1 games as I'd like, but we make up for it in rare PS2 stuff.

And yeah, Vagrant Story's one of the games that has dropped in the past few years along with Valkyrie Profile and Xenogears (although VP is starting to get back to where it was back in '08). Vagrant Story used to be in the $30ish range, IIRC.

I've been fucking lucky lately. SNES/NES stuff has been dry for months, but every time I go I find more PSX stuff.

I will probably be out of shelf space once I put this stuff up. So, I don't know what I'm gonna do. I need a tall and kind of thin shelf made just for CDs.

I figured VS must have dropped. I remember it being worth enough before that I decided to go dig it out of the closet to sell. Not something I would have done for $10.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I've been running into some audio glitches here and there on my PS2 Slim... first in Fear Effect, and now in Soul of the Samurai. I'm not sure what's causing it... I've never had any issues with PS2 games, at least.

Coming closer and closer to just biting the bullet and buying a PS1. Only issue is figuring out which version of the system to buy. I wish this sort of information was easier to come by.

I've been running into some audio glitches here and there on my PS2 Slim... first in Fear Effect, and now in Soul of the Samurai. I'm not sure what's causing it... I've never had any issues with PS2 games, at least.

Coming closer and closer to just biting the bullet and buying a PS1. Only issue is figuring out which version of the system to buy. I wish this sort of information was easier to come by.

I didn't know there were different versions outside of the slim.

EDIT: What the fuck!? I've never in my life seen one like the top or bottom:

That bottom one is weird.

Danny Dudekisser

Well, different models, I guess. There was that nonsense about the SCPH-100x sounding better because of its AKM DAC, which... apparently is a load of shit. And I'm not particularly surprised by that, either. There were also some minor changes to things like the video encoder (the original Playstation model puts out a darker, less vibrant image than later models) that confuse things further.

I mean, I already know I like the PSOne form factor, and the hardware in that model have me leaning towards that, as well... so I'll probably just go with that. But, y'know. Gotta research.

I've been fucking lucky lately. SNES/NES stuff has been dry for months, but every time I go I find more PSX stuff.

I will probably be out of shelf space once I put this stuff up. So, I don't know what I'm gonna do. I need a tall and kind of thin shelf made just for CDs.

I figured VS must have dropped. I remember it being worth enough before that I decided to go dig it out of the closet to sell. Not something I would have done for $10.

I feel you! I ended up having to buy two extra 6' shelving units two months ago and I'm already out of room again.

I own the bottom version, it's the earliest type of model. Back in the day I liked to be able to split the sound and picture easily with the white, red and yellow cables!

The bottom one's a launch unit (and possibly available for a short time after). They even came with standard a/v cables, male to male.

Edit: beaten, sort of.

Englebert3rd

Unconfirmed Member

That's the Audiophile version (SCPH-1001), due to the higher quality audio. I myself probably wouldn't notice the difference, but I've got all the models shown there.
I think I've got a second SCPH-1001, which is modded.

Zing

Banned
If you are buying a system now, you may as well just buy the PSone. The laser guiding mechanism doesn't wear down like the older models with plastic parts. It has four rubber feet, unlike the two or zero you will find on the earlier models. The PSone Dual Shock analog sticks are better, with a more defined center and tighter sticks. The older ones feel sloppy in comparison.

I dunno about the PSOne. You lose out on the serial and parallel I/O ports so if you want to link up for games like Bushido Blade, or have easy access to imports, those options are gone.

Danny Dudekisser

I dunno about the PSOne. You lose out on the serial and parallel I/O ports so if you want to link up for games like Bushido Blade, or have easy access to imports, those options are gone.

I will never have any use for the serial ports, and I'm just going to throw in a mod chip for the imports. My swap disc days are done, son!

The improved reliability and (slightly) brighter picture make more of a difference to me.

Edit: Right now, I think it's between the PSOne and 7500 model.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Legacy of War was one of the games I got with my PS1... It's been a while since I played it, but I don't remember it being that horrible, just slow and a bit of a disappointment coming off Contra III and Hard Corps. Wasn't there also another PS1 Contra too? Was that any good?

Danny Dudekisser

Legacy of War was one of the games I got with my PS1... It's been a while since I played it, but I don't remember it being that horrible, just slow and a bit of a disappointment coming off Contra III and Hard Corps. Wasn't there also another PS1 Contra too? Was that any good?

There was also C: The Contra Adventure. I've never played it, myself, but I remember hearing nothing but bad things.

I've only every played it once. I rented it as a kid. A friend and I were playing through, had gotten a good ways into it, and it glitched and we got stuck. I can't remember what exactly happened, I think the screen stopped progressing and there was no way to die. Piece of shit game. It was only $4 though, so I bought it despite my bad memories.

Danny Dudekisser

I saw one with the AV ports one day...semi-recently actually, and just passed it up. Never again.

Well, it was only the 100x models that were the subject of that audiophile nonsense a while back. There were some later models that still had RCA jacks on the back of the system that were not supposed to be as good.

But yeah, it was debunked. An AKM DAC might have a lot of capability, but it's only as good as the rest of the audio components in the system. And I don't think anyone ever confirmed that it improved the audio quality in games, either... people were just using it as a CD player (and even then... it's not even a great CD player, and has one of the most atrocious interfaces in the history of menus.)

Danny Dudekisser

I finished Soul of the Samurai... or at least, I played through it as Kotaro. Game was short as hell (took 2 hours), but then, it's like Resident Evil 2 in that you really have to play through it as both characters to see the full story.

But uh... yeah. I really liked it. In a way, it kinda feels like Bushido Blade if it had an adventure mode. The pacing is kinda slow, because you're walking around your opponents waiting to see if they'll strike, or if you should make the first move. If you get hit in this game, it hurts. Later in the game, getting hit once can take away close to half of your life. So it's extremely tense. And the game's not a spastic button masher -- it's about positioning yourself so that you're not open to attack, and finding the right time to strike. And you can parry attacks, which is awesome.

It's not a game for everyone, but I definitely dug it.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

Hmm, the bottom one is the system I have, actually. It's a nice idea but composite is kind of useless to me.

arit

Shit is so weird looking. I would think I found some crazy dev kit or something if I saw one of those out in the wild.

What is the 1/8" jack between the composite audio and video outs?

It was used for the PAL RF-Adapter (alongside composite video and audio surrounding it, so maybe just a hole that guarantees it to be plugged in in the correct orientation).

Danny Dudekisser

I'm honestly curious to see how RF looks on a shitty, older LCD. I know how bad composite looks, but RF has to be a whole 'nother world of terrible.

I think my ideal setup is to play PS1 games on a Dynex with RF, sitting in an Intensor chair:

intensor1.gif

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I'm honestly curious to see how RF looks on a shitty, older LCD. I know how bad composite looks, but RF has to be a whole 'nother world of terrible.

I think my ideal setup is to play PS1 games on a Dynex with RF, sitting in an Intensor chair:

intensor1.gif

If you do that and drop a little LSD, you will be physically transported back to the 1990s.

intensor1.gif

lol

there will be more signal interence but I don' think it'll be that orders of magnitude worse than composite.
then again it was a decent panasonic plasma i experienced rf on, dynex-tier LCD is probably going to be worse

IrishNinja

oh man i wanna do acid in that stuff
also i found my dex drive files, need to get a dex drive back on the cheap! and a serial port to USB adapter i guess

catmincer

I know this is likely a dumb question but memory cards....

Are ANY of the 3rd party ones actually ok? Or should I simply buy a Sony one?

Danny Dudekisser

I know this is likely a dumb question but memory cards....

Are ANY of the 3rd party ones actually ok? Or should I simply buy a Sony one?

I've had a memory card from Performance since I got my first PS1 in 1998. It's never given me a problem. I still use it, even though I wanna switch to a Sony one... cuz it looks really ghetto.

I also had one of those Interact mega memory cards with like 1440 blocks or something stupid like that. I could never get it to give me more than 15 blocks. Oh, and then when I was like an hour from the end of Final Fantasy VII, it erased my save. I destroyed it.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Buy the Sony ones. They are plentiful too, aren't they? I saw some at Value Village the other day for a couple bucks.

Top Bottom